Start by marking “Skybound” as Want to Read:
Skybound

Skybound

Love soars.
Germany, 1945. The Third Reich is on its knees as Allied forces bomb Berlin to break the last resistance. Yet on an airfield near Berlin, the battle is far from over for a young mechanic, Felix, who’s attached to a squadron of fighter pilots. He’s especially attached to fighter ace Baldur Vogt, a man he admires and secretly loves. But there’s no room for love a
Kindle Edition
Published October 7th 2016 by 44 Raccoons (first published August 18th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Skybound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skybound

julio
Aug 24, 2015 julio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone except my ex, for he deserves nothing that is good or beautiful in this world.
Shelves: loved
So damned good.

This story is talent focused by hard work. Rich symbolism metered by historical authenticity. Emotion tempered by artistic restraint.

Sickeningly good.

Thrilling.

Poetry: oh, the fucking poetry.

Romance like you dream about, set in a nightmare of smoke, and fire, and steel.

Yeah. That good.

I'm beginning to think people take issue with first person present tense because next to nobody can do it right.

Voinov does it right.

I am desperate to get a sip of whatever he was drinking the day he
Dd
Mar 08, 2014 Dd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites

Aleksandr Voinov...

I LOVE HIM SO MUCH!!!

Hello Readers!!

Do you see it??

Well that's what I had to constantly hear from my friends!!

And so I decided it was time for me to experience some of the greatness.

And what did I find???

GREATNESS + GREATNESS = GREAT GREATNESS

--------------------------------------------------------

'If the world ends tomorrow,how will I go?Without ever having risked anything,or having done the one thing I can't stop thinking about?'

Baldur Vogt,Herr Leutnant,fighter pilot is a
Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
REVIEW COMPLETED AUGUST 24, 2012

We race towards something so amazing and precious it strikes me dumb with its immenseness. I lose every sense of myself, every thought; there's just emotion and utter fulfillment.

Photobucket

Skybound is set in Germany at the end of World War II when The Third Reich is on its knees as Allied forces bomb Berlin. On an airfield near Berlin the young mechanic, Felix, meets the fighter pilot, Baldur Vogt. Felix secretly admires and loves Baldur for quite some time now. The stor
Rosalinda *KRASNORADA*

SPEECHLESS! Don't even know if I'm able to write a review about this gem.

If the world ends tomorrow, how will I go? Without ever having risked anything, or having done the one thing I can't stop thinking about?

Sammy Loves Books
5 "Absolutely Beautifull" Stars

He’s a legend. Every green boy desires to be him. I don’t. My desires are more complicated.

men in love

Felix is a mechanic, working to repair fighter planes in WWII. They are losing the war. But his worst fear is losing his lieutenant. That's because Felix is secretly in love with the star pilot, Baldur. He watches daily as he soars into the sky, praying that he returns safely. He then repairs damages to his plane, only to live through the hell again. Never knowing when B
Loederkoningin
Oh! But Skybound sank its claws in me. What a beautiful short story, with prose that borders on poetry. Very touching. Surprising too. If my memory doesn't fail me, Special Forces was harsher, simply something else altogether and yet from the same author.

In a setting that feels like it's beyond the end of the world, on an airfield near Berlin, the mechanic of a German squadron of fighter pilots secretly longs for one of the pilots. While bombs come crashing down and Nazi Germany is on the verge
Susan
Oct 12, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-favorites

AUDIOBOOK REVIEW (October 12, 2015)

Clocking in at under an hour and a half, Skybound really is a low risk audibook to try.

Now, with that pitch out of the way, Skybound is one of the BEST audiobooks I’ve heard to date. When I originally read the ebook, I couldn’t believe HOW MUCH could be gloriously packed in 44 pages, Listening to the audiobook, I found myself in that same place…I couldn’t believe HOW MUCH could be gloriously packed in 1 hour and 25 mins.

I’m a part of a book club that has been f
Lisa *-* GiViNg It To YoU * LoCk StOcK & TwO SmOkiNg BaRrELs
5 SkYbOuNd sTaRs

Be Still My Beating Heart, be Still..I Say...Alek what have you done to me!!

I swear my heart flips and unleashes a thousand butterflies in me every time I read one of Aleksandr Voinov masterpieces.

Skybound Blew. Me. Away. - Poetic Perfection.

Germany, 1945 WWII

This story is seen through the eyes of Felix a young aircraft mechanic, who's attached to a squadron of fighter pilots. He has admired and secretly been in love with Lieutenant Baldur Vogt from afar.

....For me, he can walk
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**Hey guys, if you haven't purchased and read this one yet, it is currently on sale at Riptide for $1.99! A great deal! http://www.riptidepublishing.com/titl... **

Voinov writes prose like poetry. I always get the sense that his words are carefully selected, that he spends hours contemplating each phrase. This was a lovely story about two German military men at the end of WWII. It was far far too short for my liking. It was like a small snippet of a greater story, which is why I was left feeling
Lenore
I take my hat off to Mr Voinov. Because here I am giving one of my rare five-star ratings to a) a historical (about WWII, no less), b) told in present tense, c) and through a first person POV.

Anyone who knows me and my reading habits also knows that all of the above are major turn-offs for me. I avoid historicals like the plague. War stories at that? Please, no. I'll do anything you want, just don't make me read them. Present tense/first person POV? Kill me now.

Yet this? This? This was emotions,
Ingela
Written February 21, 2015

4.4 Stars - Heartbreaking nervously thrilling and yet so romantic beautiful

Okay, a MUST Aleksandr Voinov book to read apparently. My friends Andrea, Bev, as well as Loederkoningin, told me so a year ago. Better do as the ladies are telling me. Late mostly, but an obedient girl.

***********************************************************

Skybound is a WWII romance in just 50 pages.
A story about two German men —in the war bravely fighting for their "Deutschland" and their d
Lena♥Ribka

It was beautiful, breathtaking...it was Voinov.

I slowly mutate to Voinov's junkie.
My kindle at the moment looks like a small collection of all his books that I've found, bought and downloaded on Amazon and on the Internet. Right now I just don't want to read anything else.

I wanted to read this short story in between, and now I am sitting here and ...again can't find the right words...

Who can expect this emotional depth from only 43 pages?..
There are not too many writers who can do it.
Aleks can
Aug 24, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

”I lose every sense of myself, every thought; there’s just emotion and utter fulfillment.”

I search, need, and crave certain things from my reads in life right now. Power. Emotion. Hope. Stories, words, and characters that make my stomach drop, heart hiccup, face flush, and head whirl. In short, make me feel. I know I will always find these things, that power, and so much more in an Aleksandr Voinov story.

Skybound tugged on my heart and soul with longing, romance, and hope. In 1945 Nazi Germany,
Anna  (Bananas!)
Dec 21, 2012 Anna (Bananas!) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anna (Bananas!) by: Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog
Shelves: m-m
Immediate, romantic, and entrancing. It perfectly expresses the bliss in discovering another person. I can feel the story going on past the last page.
Vishous
description

The only thing I did not like was the length of the story.... I WANT MORE!

Yet, it is amazing how something so short can be so good and beautiful and emotional....

I adored Dark Soul and I just knew I would love this one too, apparently with some authors you will never be disappointed...

This is simply AMAZING! And I am simply at loss of words...

Felix and Baldur... wow... I felt so many emotions... from angst, to hope, to panic that nothing will end up good... then relief... I even cried!

Yes I did
Sheri
Supreme brilliance. Powerful treasure. Deadly defenders.

Skybound is a prime example of how easy it is to fall in love with the addicting serenade of Voinov’s voice. Strikingly rhythmic, he creates his vision with such dazzling clarity you’ll find yourself dazed when forced to return to reality.

I was instantly captivated and savored every sentence, every word, and every morsel. It is doubtful such depth is conceivable in no more than a few dozen pages, yet somehow he manages the task. I’ve read
Sheziss
Well, this was beautiful.

Beautiful.

I must admit I read this book because of Special Forces. Before that, this author wasn’t among my first. Somehow, that series ended up being a turning point for me, because now I’m curious enough to read his books.

So it wasn’t love at first sight but not I’m beginning to appreciate his style.

Yes, I’m late to the party, I k
Shelley
I have done this review 3 or 4 times over and none seems worthy of Skybound. So I'm keeping it short.
Simply put it is an astounding piece of poetic brilliance that I will hold dear forever. It's only 43 pages and I can honestly say that I feel honoured to have read it. It is something I will read over and over again and still find some new meaning within the prose.

I recommend this to everyone. Skybound is just the most stunning piece of writing which carries every emotion. The honest sensualit
MishyJo
Jan 05, 2015 MishyJo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was quite sure this wouldn't be my thing. But it was. It so was. It takes a lot of skill to put so much so well into so few pages. So I tip my virtual hat to the author.

Thanks Mark, I wouldn't have read this without you.
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Sometimes the stars align and you get both perfection and a personal experience you won't forget ever. I was in the lucky position of downloading this book while I was in Berlin for a vacation and I read it almost everyday in the week I was there.

It's impossible not to in awe of this amazing city which was able to re-invent and re-build itself a couple of times, of its incredible architecture. It's also impossible not too see testimony of the destruction of WWII, because all sites present you wi
Meli Mel *Ty and Zane's Creeper*

***5 Brilliant Stars***

Skybound takes place during World War II. Felix is an aircraft mechanic, who has secretly admired Baldur Vogt -- a flying ace.

***************

I want to learn his body, find every pleasure it’s hiding. All this reverence and simple awe I feel when I touch him, feel his breath brush my skin. Whatever he calls this, it feels so very preciou
Cole Riann
Review posted at The Armchair Reader.

Taking place on an airfield outside of Berlin near the end of the war in 1945, Felix the airplane mechanic lives from liftoff to landing, moving forward in a steady crescendo, fixing the planes on the ground and waiting for them to return for more needed work. The war, now turning into a German defensive, is Felix's only real experience with adult life, no matter the cruel parody of life that it is. He's quite an innocent, his dream to fly with the m
Tina
Mar 26, 2013 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tina by: Mark Wills, Tharayn

Aleksandr Voinov - Skybound - TinaIsReading

I must admit it took me a while to start reading Skybound, which was perhaps due to the fact that I had no desire to read a book about WW II and evil German Nazis wrapped up in a bundle of prejudices.

Since Aleks is German I was hoping that he would approach the task in a different way than many foreign authors would. Fortunately he didn't disappoint my high expectations at all. :)

Skybound takes place on an airfield outside of Berlin in 1945. 'Das drit
Ilhem
Jul 03, 2013 Ilhem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is the end of the 3rd Reich. Its last days, its last hours. It is the end of World War II and its last battles.
The imagery and the flying action managed to give something epic to the story despite its shortness, while the pace alternated between the excruciating wait of the impending defeat and the rapidity with which the world and the characters’ lives could fall over.

Lieutnant Baldur Vogt is an eagle, Félix a laborious ant who worships him from the ground until his hero comes to him.
Togethe
R * A Reader Obsessed *
An unlikely connection between pilot and mechanic sets in motion feelings that can't be taken back. Can luck prevail for these two to have a chance when defeat is all but a given?

Starkly showing the tragic loss of all that is inevitable in war, hope if any, is overshadowed by an abundance of fear. There's little opportunity to take comfort in small pleasures and the prospect of a future is impossible to think of.

Fortuitously, these two seize an opening to survive another day. It may not be the b
Mel
If the world ends tomorrow, how will I go? Without having risked anything, or having done the one thing that I can't stop thinking about?

Yeah so… It’s not that I couldn’t stop thinking about reading books by Aleks, but I was intrigued again and again and again and… you got it, right? And then I chickened out every damn time. I’m so glad I finally risked it, because Skybound was absolutely awesome. I will so read moooooore books by Aleks. I can’t wait, actually.

I’m a sucker for beautiful language
Elizabetta
Sep 08, 2012 Elizabetta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faves
I usually run, fleeing posthaste from historical fiction in general; wartime fiction...? never had a real interest there... and a WWII story with German military protagonists? Whoa, nelly! But this is Voinov. With Skybound he shares a look behind the scenes on a German airfield in the last days of this great conflict. He incredibly, gives us a love story on the wave of that country’s final devastation.

The writing is wonderful. Skybound is infused with a dark sense of despair and desperation. T
Xing
Jan 12, 2014 Xing rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 3.5, rounded to 4 stars.

I surprised myself when I started this story. I'm a 300+ pages kind of guy. What I enjoy from these long novels are great characterizations, a vivid construction of setting and engaging plots. What surprised me about Skybound was the lack of many things I normally expect from long novels, yet managing to still enjoy it.

What thoroughly impressed me was the atmosphere. I felt myself standing on the precipice, with my back exposed to a world set afire, with smoke fee
Christina
This was completely captivating. I'm not a fan of short stories but this was jam-packed with emotion. It left me speechless. The writing was simply beautiful, poetry on every page.

The story is set in Germany at the end of WW II. The Allies are bringing down what remains of the Third Reich. The story is told in the first person present from Felix's POV. Felix is a mechanic who works day and night to ensure the planes are ready for battle and to keep fighter pilot Baldur Vogt safe and secure in h
Ami
Aug 30, 2012 Ami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-short-stories
"Nobody else exists to me when he lands. Everything stops existing when he takes off, as if he takes it all with him when he goes up there, to places I'll never see again"

No, I don't read Voinov (Gasp!! *I can feel the death stares and the 'How COULD you?!?s'*).

It's not that I don't find him a great author -- it's just that he is so good, his stories (of those I tried to read) usually left me feeling either in despair or bleak, which of course ends up with me DNF-ng them (I need my happy feelin
  • Mark of the Gladiator (Warriors of Rome, #4)
  • Into Deep Waters
  • Blessed Isle
  • The Auspicious Troubles of Chance (The Auspicious Troubles of Love, #1)
  • Bonds of Earth
  • Quid Pro Quo (Market Garden, #1)
  • Brothers of the Wild North Sea
  • Out of the Blue
  • Another Place in Time
  • Allegiance: A Dublin Novella
  • Playing with Fire (The Administration, #3.5)
  • According To Hoyle
  • Lovers in Arms
  • He Is Worthy (Warriors of Rome, #2)
  • Fragile Bond
  • Protection
  • Country Mouse (Country Mouse, #1)
  • The Nobleman and the Spy

“For me, he can walk on water, dance in the clouds. I know he can’t, really, but what he can and can’t do pales into nothing when I look at him.” 24 likes
“I've only ever really been afraid of the fear, but right now, I fear nothing.” 20 likes