Start by marking “Hit and Run” as Want to Read:
Hit and Run

Hit and Run

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Hit and Run tells the improbable and often hilarious story of how two Hollywood film packagers went on a campaign to reinvent themselves as studio executives -- at Sony's expense. Veteran reporters Nancy Griffin and Kim Masters chronicle the rise of Jon Peters, a former hairdresser, seventh-grade dropout, and juvenile delinquent, and his soulless soul mate, Peter Guber -- ...more
Published June 17th 1997 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Hit and Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hit and Run

Andrew Rodgers
I'd been aware of this book for a long while but hadn't taken the time to sit down and check it out. Now that I have, I'm glad to have done so, but am left a little lukewarm by the whole tale. Interestingly, what attracted me to it in the first place - the story of excess and how two men effectively plundered Sony through mis-management and outrageous behavior - became less interesting the further I got into it.

The thing is, it's the easiest thing in the world to criticize leadership. There are
Ellen
Aug 21, 2012 Ellen added it
Shelves: want-to-read
As recommended by Kevin Smith (yes, that one) on the "How Did This Get Made?" podcast.
Laurie
This is only a book you should read if you have a deep interest in the movie industry. The book, written in the 90s, is about two guys who somehow become movie executives and get Sony to buy their company and then run the company into the ground by making terrible movie choices. There were A LOT of names to keep track of in this book, and not just people names, company names, too! It seemed like companies just kept merging and buying each other. It was hard to keep track of what was going on. An ...more
Gerald
Writer-producer Larry Wilson told me that there are just two types of people working in Hollywood -- attackers and attractors. This book is about two unscrupulous attackers, Jon Peters and Peter Guber, who famously ran the Sony studios (into the ground, some would say). I found the book on the remainder shelf and of course it's dated, having been released in 1996. Many people might not agree, but showbiz culture has grown both more businesslike and more uncertain since then. Studio executives wh ...more
Drew Raley
Prime-cut gossip, delivered with wit and sourced from Hollywood players brave enough to be quoted by name.
Ben Harrison
In December 1987, the Guber-Peters Co. announced a merger with Barris. "We're a real studio now," Jon boasted to the Los Angeles Times. "I want to build another MCA." It was a grand dream: MCA, the parent of Universal Studios, was a sprawling entertainment empire worth billions. Jon may have made a big leap, but still his past haunted him. The Times couldn't resist observing: "That would make quite a climb for the 41-year-old seventh-grade dropout and reform school graduate who began his show-bu ...more
Jim
I admire Peters more than Guber. I should also have read the Don Simpson Book
Dot
This book is double the length it should have been. The authors seem unable to omit a detail, making the many stories difficult to follow and diluting the impact of the central debacle.
Steven Glover
An hilarious account of Hollywood excess. Loved it!
Steven Kent
Interesting book.

John Peters is a tough guy who works as a hair dresser. Peter Guber is a movie guy and a wuss. Together, they become a formidable team that rides the wave when Sony buys out a movie studio.

They produce a few hits, a lot of flops, and they run the studio into the ground. Peters has a romance with Barbara Streisand and a feud with Chris Kristopherson. Guber tries to make his mark on Hollywood without getting smashed.

Neither man comes off as talented or sympathetic.
A.M. Riley
Nancy Griffin has a lovely sharp tongue and a seeming bloody vendetta against Peters and Guber. Or maybe she's just outraged and it isn't personal.

But it sure reads like it's personal. Its just juicy sick. I usually avoid the Entertainment Tonight stuff and the Hollywood Rags and the gossip in the hallways. But she hooked me and I found myself online looking up all of the persons involved in the schemes and catastrophes.
Fred
Showbiz tell-all about mega producers Peter Guber and Jon Peters, who bullied, badgered and coerced their way to the top when they were put in charge of Columbia Pictures in the 1990's, and proceeded to run it into the ground. Unbelievable tales of greed and excess coupled with astounding incompetence will make you shake your head in disbelief how anything worthwhile at the movies ever gets made in the first place.
adam
Hollywood shysters took honest Japanese businessmen for every penny when Sony bought Columbia Pictures and put Peter Guber and Jon Peters in charge. Essential book about the film industry, as the last 20 years of major studio business is a direct result of Columbia's ridiculously inflated spending and Sony's dumbfounding business plan during those years.
Dwayne Ackley
A Great Book about Jon Peters and Peter Guber, two producers (Flashdance, Hook, Batman) who ended up running a studio (Sony) during the early nineties and nearly wrecking the company. Good companion piece to "Rebel without a Crew" (They ran the studio when it bought Rodriguez's film).
Amy Wolf
One of the more amazing stories of how producers Peter Guber & John Peters participated in "the most public screwing in the history of motion pictures." Watch as they plunder Sony & the Japanese for hundreds of millions, then walk away unscathed.
Sergio GRANDE films
According to this book Jon Peters and Peter Guber were like Don Simpson-Jerry Bruckheimer minus the artistic talent and the high ethics. One left you with bruises, the other one tried to leave no fingerprints.
Only in Hollywood...
Kim
Wow the amount of money that was flowing around Hollywood would have gotten rid of America's deficit. Not sure how I feel about movies now that I read this book, yes some great ideas were implemented but so much wasted.
Dev
More tales from Hollywood's trenches that attempt to point out the fact that the movie makers, like the Emperor, have no clothes when understanding what's good.
Aaron Goldfarb
Amazing read about quintessential Hollywood self-promotion and lack of awareness. Jon Peters is the real-life Sammy Glick.
Malcolm Frawley
Malcolm Frawley is currently reading it
Dec 18, 2014
Niki
Niki marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Andrew Shrader
Andrew Shrader marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Charlie
Charlie is currently reading it
Dec 01, 2014
Phil Sexton
Phil Sexton marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
LnyTuny
LnyTuny is currently reading it
Dec 04, 2014
Kem Suleyman
Kem Suleyman marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
  • High Concept: Don Simpson and the Hollywood Culture of Excess
  • The Devil's Candy: The Anatomy Of A Hollywood Fiasco
  • Down and Dirty Pictures: Miramax, Sundance, and the Rise of Independent Film
  • You'll Never Eat Lunch In This Town Again
  • Final Cut: Art, Money, and Ego in the Making of Heaven's Gate, the Film that Sank United Artists
  • The Men Who Would Be King: An Almost Epic Tale of Moguls, Movies, and a Company Called DreamWorks
  • The Big Picture: Money and Power in Hollywood
  • Hello, He Lied and Other Tales from the Hollywood Trenches
  • Orson Welles, Vol. 1: The Road to Xanadu
  • Pictures at a Revolution: Five Movies and the Birth of the New Hollywood
  • The Mailroom: Hollywood History from the Bottom Up
  • Hollywood Animal: A Memoir
  • Shooting to Kill
  • Rebels on the Backlot: Six Maverick Directors and How They Conquered the Hollywood Studio System
  • The Man Who Heard Voices: Or, How M. Night Shyamalan Risked His Career on a Fairy Tale
  • The Kid Stays In The Picture
  • Adventures in the Screen Trade
  • The Studio
Making Whoopies: The Official Whoopie Pie Book Maine 101: Everything You Wanted to Know About Maine and Were Going to Ask Anyway I Love Maine Famous Mainers: The Remarkable Stanley Brothers and Their Amazing Cars See You Further Down the Road