Hit and Run

Hit and Run

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Hit and Run tells the improbable and often hilarious story of how two Hollywood film packagers went on a campaign to reinvent themselves as studio executives -- at Sony's expense. Veteran reporters Nancy Griffin and Kim Masters chronicle the rise of Jon Peters, a former hairdresser, seventh-grade dropout, and juvenile delinquent, and his soulless soul mate, Peter Guber --...more
Published June 17th 1997 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1996)

Andrew Rodgers
I'd been aware of this book for a long while but hadn't taken the time to sit down and check it out. Now that I have, I'm glad to have done so, but am left a little lukewarm by the whole tale. Interestingly, what attracted me to it in the first place - the story of excess and how two men effectively plundered Sony through mis-management and outrageous behavior - became less interesting the further I got into it.

The thing is, it's the easiest thing in the world to criticize leadership. There are...more
Ellen
Aug 21, 2012 Ellen added it
Shelves: want-to-read
As recommended by Kevin Smith (yes, that one) on the "How Did This Get Made?" podcast.
Gerald
Writer-producer Larry Wilson told me that there are just two types of people working in Hollywood -- attackers and attractors. This book is about two unscrupulous attackers, Jon Peters and Peter Guber, who famously ran the Sony studios (into the ground, some would say). I found the book on the remainder shelf and of course it's dated, having been released in 1996. Many people might not agree, but showbiz culture has grown both more businesslike and more uncertain since then. Studio executives wh...more
Ben Harrison
In December 1987, the Guber-Peters Co. announced a merger with Barris. "We're a real studio now," Jon boasted to the Los Angeles Times. "I want to build another MCA." It was a grand dream: MCA, the parent of Universal Studios, was a sprawling entertainment empire worth billions. Jon may have made a big leap, but still his past haunted him. The Times couldn't resist observing: "That would make quite a climb for the 41-year-old seventh-grade dropout and reform school graduate who began his show-bu...more
Jim
I admire Peters more than Guber. I should also have read the Don Simpson Book
Dot
This book is double the length it should have been. The authors seem unable to omit a detail, making the many stories difficult to follow and diluting the impact of the central debacle.
Steven Kent
Interesting book.

John Peters is a tough guy who works as a hair dresser. Peter Guber is a movie guy and a wuss. Together, they become a formidable team that rides the wave when Sony buys out a movie studio.

They produce a few hits, a lot of flops, and they run the studio into the ground. Peters has a romance with Barbara Streisand and a feud with Chris Kristopherson. Guber tries to make his mark on Hollywood without getting smashed.

Neither man comes off as talented or sympathetic.
A.M. Riley
Nancy Griffin has a lovely sharp tongue and a seeming bloody vendetta against Peters and Guber. Or maybe she's just outraged and it isn't personal.

But it sure reads like it's personal. Its just juicy sick. I usually avoid the Entertainment Tonight stuff and the Hollywood Rags and the gossip in the hallways. But she hooked me and I found myself online looking up all of the persons involved in the schemes and catastrophes.
Fred
Showbiz tell-all about mega producers Peter Guber and Jon Peters, who bullied, badgered and coerced their way to the top when they were put in charge of Columbia Pictures in the 1990's, and proceeded to run it into the ground. Unbelievable tales of greed and excess coupled with astounding incompetence will make you shake your head in disbelief how anything worthwhile at the movies ever gets made in the first place.
adam
Hollywood shysters took honest Japanese businessmen for every penny when Sony bought Columbia Pictures and put Peter Guber and Jon Peters in charge. Essential book about the film industry, as the last 20 years of major studio business is a direct result of Columbia's ridiculously inflated spending and Sony's dumbfounding business plan during those years.
Dwayne Ackley
A Great Book about Jon Peters and Peter Guber, two producers (Flashdance, Hook, Batman) who ended up running a studio (Sony) during the early nineties and nearly wrecking the company. Good companion piece to "Rebel without a Crew" (They ran the studio when it bought Rodriguez's film).
Amy Wolf
One of the more amazing stories of how producers Peter Guber & John Peters participated in "the most public screwing in the history of motion pictures." Watch as they plunder Sony & the Japanese for hundreds of millions, then walk away unscathed.
Sergio GRANDE films
According to this book Jon Peters and Peter Guber were like Don Simpson-Jerry Bruckheimer minus the artistic talent and the high ethics. One left you with bruises, the other one tried to leave no fingerprints.
Only in Hollywood...
Kim
Wow the amount of money that was flowing around Hollywood would have gotten rid of America's deficit. Not sure how I feel about movies now that I read this book, yes some great ideas were implemented but so much wasted.
Dev
More tales from Hollywood's trenches that attempt to point out the fact that the movie makers, like the Emperor, have no clothes when understanding what's good.
Aaron Goldfarb
Amazing read about quintessential Hollywood self-promotion and lack of awareness. Jon Peters is the real-life Sammy Glick.
Scan Murphy
Scan Murphy marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Lungbarrow
Lungbarrow marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Dylan Smith
Dylan Smith is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2014
Rscarff
Rscarff marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Katie McGuire
Katie McGuire marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Making Whoopies: The Official Whoopie Pie Book Maine 101: Everything You Wanted to Know About Maine and Were Going to Ask Anyway I Love Maine Famous Mainers: The Remarkable Stanley Brothers and Their Amazing Cars Writing For Publication (The Academic's Support Kit)