Start by marking “Curious, If True: Strange Tales” as Want to Read:
Curious, If True: Strange Tales

Curious, If True: Strange Tales

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  115 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
CURIOUS, IF TRUE: Strange Tales is a collection of five dark Victorian tales of suspense, horror, mood and mystery by Elizabeth Gaskell, published variously between 1852 and 1861. Includes "The Old Nurse's Story," "The Poor Clare," "Lois The Witch," "The Grey Woman," and "Curious, If True."
Published April 12th 2008 by Norilana Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Curious, If True, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Curious, If True

Guguk
Jul 19, 2016 Guguk rated it really liked it
Terus terang, ketimbang Jane Austen dan Charlotte Bronte, aku lebih kagum dengan Mrs. Gaskell ini (ω)
Ngarang kisah tentang penduduk kota kecil yang kocak...bisa!
Bikin kisah romance berlatar revolusi industri dan demo buruh...juga oke!

Dan kali ini, aku bersyukur dapat mencicipi kisah horor karya beliau (((o(*゚゚*)o)))
Isinya ada 5 cerita :

- The Old Nurse's Story : gadis kecil, pengasuh yang setia, rumah tua dengan tragedi masa lalu, organ yang berbunyi sendiri...semuanya resep standar namun komplit
1. The Old Nurse's Story
2. The Poor Clare
3. Lois The Witch
4. The Grey Woman
5. Curious, If True.

My favorites are "The Old Nurse's Story"and "Curious, if True".
Leslie
Not enjoying these stories -- the moralizing irritates me and the paranormal (ghosts and demons) bores rather than frightens. I read the first 2 stories and the first chapter of the third; the last two stories I have read previously in "The Grey Woman and Other Tales". Those two would be the best in this collection...
Margaretmcmillan
This book was recommended to me because of an interest in re-told Victorian Fairy Tales. It literally kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I read the book on the train from Williamsburg to Philly, and after approximately 7 hours of train riding, I did not want the train to stop because I so wanted to finish my book.

My favorite in the series was the Old Nurse's Tale (which is often a favorite of the Norton Anthology as well as other Victorian compilations. I never actually read the sto
Tocotin
All right, the book was definitely worth reading. "Lois the Witch" and "The Grey Woman" are the best stories IMHO, the first one very dark (it's about the witch hysteria in Salem and the first story I've ever read about it), the other dark also, but with a good (well kinda) outcome and a very interesting storyline which just begs for rewrite or reinterpretation. The few first ones weren't that absorbing though, hence 3 stars.
Elise Barker
Apr 09, 2016 Elise Barker rated it really liked it
I taught "The Old Nurse's Story" last time I taught Brit Lit and the students ate it up. They did a great job relating it's themes to the Victorian period and enjoyed it on its own terms as well. I decided I needed to check out the rest of her short ghost stories. All of the other stories are equally interesting. They are gothic, and unlike "The Old Nurse's Story," the rest are set in the past and in foreign countries. It surprised me how well Gaskell wrote within the dark and gothic vein.

My fa
Diana Long
May 23, 2015 Diana Long rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of tales that I found rather interesting and enjoyable. In this work are 5 tales and having read so many of the author's other works was rather surprised that she wrote these. I would say they are Gothic, supernatural and well written. The one I favoured amongst them was "Lois the Witch", the author's fictional tale relating to the Salem Witch Trials of 1692. Arthur Miller used the real names, made changes to the historical facts to best suit his purposes to compare it with the inve ...more
Pamela
Jan 12, 2013 Pamela rated it liked it
If you are expecting another Cranford, you are in for a big surprise! About as far from it as you can get. Who knew Gaskell could hop genres like this? Definitely worth a read.
Blair
Jan 22, 2013 Blair marked it as unsuccessful-attempt  ·  review of another edition
'Bought' because it was free on Amazon. The first story, 'The Old Nurse's Tale', was okay but not at all exciting or scary, and didn't make me want to read on.
Cecilia
Aug 02, 2016 Cecilia rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Yeah, these are Victorian "scary" stories. Interesting to get perspective on what was creepy then versus what is creepy now. Three are a little creepy, the fourth more a morality tale. I would only recommend this to those into Victorian lit, and within that subset, those who like that style of gothic horror. The writing style is good though, so I can't completely pan it.
Naomi
May 02, 2016 Naomi rated it it was ok
DNF at 44%. I've tried repeatedly to read this book, but the first tale in particular is a 101 on how to spoil a solid idea with tedious tangents, repetition and zero suspense. I like reading from this era and genre so I'm used to its conventions, but this bores me to tears.
Mary
Sep 27, 2010 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: ghost-stories
Who would've thought Elizabeth Gaskell wrote horror? Well...suspense sometimes, although there are a couple of genuine spooks and witches in this collection, mostly presented in a historical vein. Victorians look back to the 17th century for their ghouls the way Tim Burton has us looking to the Victorians. The title story is more a clever parlor-reading exercise than great literature, but "The Grey Woman" is a gripping adventure tale in the line as Bluebeard, and "The Poor Clare" and "The Old Nu ...more
Katie
Sep 03, 2014 Katie rated it it was ok
I only read the first couple of these. They were ghost stories, stories of exorcism, definitely not my thing.
Jul 08, 2016 Laura rated it liked it
For me, Lois the witch was the best story in this collection. The first two stories didn't manage to captivate my attention, however, I'm glad I didn't give up on the book since I also enjoyed the last two, The Grey Woman and Curious, if true.
Kate
May 30, 2016 Kate rated it really liked it
An interesting collection of stories. Lois the Witch was definitely my favorite, as it explored some really interesting themes in religion and hysteria. I found the last tale the least satisfying, but overall a great selection of stories.
Mikel
Nov 08, 2010 Mikel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great little set of Gothic stories. They're not what you would expect from the author of North & South and Wives & Daughters. It goes to show how diversified authors used to be. I really enjoyed reading some Mrs. Gaskell's less well know works.
James
May 16, 2013 James rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Book was a little hard to follow and spend more time reading the dictonary to understand more than half the words. Would not recommend this book unless you have a masters in old english\french
Lisa H
Although I very much enjoyed the plots of these tales I found the language to be overly heavy in the fashion of Victorian description of minute details.
Mark
Dec 17, 2014 Mark rated it really liked it
Read ebook (Stanza on iPod Touch) from here: http://www.feedbooks.com/book/3335
Read 21 December 2009-20 January 2010
Cara
Jun 05, 2011 Cara rated it did not like it
Not my favorite. I didn't even finish the whole book. The stories were just weird, not what I wanted to read.
Nastia
Nov 15, 2015 Nastia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gaskell, que intensa, mai.
Bettie☯
Hahahah - Just slurped me up some Gaskill and wonder if this is the same short story sequence; we shall see.
Velvetink
Jun 24, 2013 Velvetink marked it as to-read
epub version
Samantha K Sadie
Samantha K Sadie marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
ARYAN
ARYAN rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2016
Alfreda Frye
Alfreda Frye rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2016
Fuzz
Fuzz marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Jace
Jace marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Moira Lertora
Moira Lertora marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
  • The Wyvern Mystery
  • American Ghosts & Old World Wonders
  • The Uncommercial Traveller
  • Daily Life in Victorian London: An Extraordinary Anthology
Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell, née Stevenson (29 September 1810 – 12 November 1865), often referred to simply as Mrs. Gaskell, was an English novelist and short story writer during the Victorian era. She is perhaps best known for her biography of Charlotte Brontë. Her novels offer a detailed portrait of the lives of many strata of society, including the very poor, and as such are of interest to socia ...more
More about Elizabeth Gaskell...