Start by marking “When You Wake and Find Me Gone” as Want to Read:
When You Wake and Find Me Gone

When You Wake and Find Me Gone

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  368 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
So how did you meet him? I hear you asking.
Was it love at first sight? Was he a fellow teacher? Did you meet in a pub?

This might be hard to believe, but the first time I looked into your father's eyes, he was holding a gun to my head.

But first, let me explain . . .

Everything is coming together for twenty-year-old Kit. She loves her new subjects at uni, she has some great f
444 pages
Published August 1st 2002 by Penguin Australia

To ask other readers questions about When You Wake and Find Me Gone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When You Wake and Find Me Gone

On the Jellicoe Road by Melina MarchettaThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakSaving Francesca by Melina MarchettaGraffiti Moon by Cath CrowleyTomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden
Favourite Aussie YA books
89th out of 295 books — 859 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingAlong for the Ride by Sarah DessenBefore I Fall by Lauren OliverThe Wide Game by Michael  WestPoseidon’s Children by Michael  West
Expanding Horizons
30th out of 168 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Bella
Feb 08, 2009 Bella rated it really liked it
How would you react if you found out that your only sister, the one person you once idolised, but then let you down big time, was actually your mother?
Twenty year old Kit has just found out her sister is her mother meaning the two people she'd always thought were her parents are actually her grandparents, and her real father is somewhere in the depths of Ireland.
The book teaches you about forgiveness, understanding, love and the violence of the "wars" in Ireland. Although long winded at times,
Julia
Jun 25, 2015 Julia rated it liked it
Shelves: australian
"When you wake and find me gone" started of excellently. I was excited to read about Kit's life, her friends and family and then I noticed something. Kit is and extremely self-centered character, to the point that you feel like she's the annoying girl that you know that constantly brings the conversation topic to herself. She wants everyone to devoted their time listening to her problems but whenever they attempt to talk to her about their own she shuts them down and doesn't want to hear it. She ...more
Danijel Brestovac
Sep 18, 2015 Danijel Brestovac rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Str. 171 (2. del)- Ne pusti, da bi bilo vse zaman. Ne smejo me zadovoljiti MAJHNE, neumne stvari. TUDI JAZ SE ŽELIM BORITI
Cheralaine Cole-Johnson
Dec 26, 2011 Cheralaine Cole-Johnson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ruth, Brynne, Siobhan, Shanna, Katie
This one will stay with me for awhile. It is one of those lovely books that make you want to read others to learn more details. This deals with the "troubles" of Northern Ireland, more specifically Belfast, and the different forms of protest the Republicans participated in. It gives a face to the terrorists and shows the struggle of those who love them. The only downside is that it is only available in Australia. I subscribe to a blog (Inkcrush) that has put me on to several great Australian wri ...more
Watermelon Daisy
Dec 19, 2011 Watermelon Daisy rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
FIRST IMPRESSION:
Beautiful title. The cover's pretty also.

WRITING STYLE:
Maureen McCarthy is one of my favourite writers of all time. Beautiful, flowing writing.

PLOT:
She makes the most absurd things believable.

CHARACTERS:
Loved all their personalities. And her main character, Kit, is very realistic.

OVERALL:
This is a beautiful read for anybody who wants to read a story which is set a little back in time. It's beautiful and conquers the true meaning of friendship and love.

AMOUNT OF STARS:
Elli
Feb 17, 2013 Elli rated it it was ok
This one has been sitting on my bookshelf for a long time. I started it many times but never persevered long enough to reach the end. I managed it this time!
I would rate Maureen McCarthy as one of my favorite authors. Unfortunately, with When You Wake And Find Me Gone, she's not managed one likeable character.
Kit was whiny, ungrateful and just downright rude and inconsiderate. Secondary characters were all to stereotype. And the plot itself was anticlimactic.
Gen
Feb 02, 2015 Gen rated it liked it
Shelves: australian
Tells the story of a girl who after an accident finds out her mother is actually her grandmother and her sister is her mother so she packs off to Ireland in search of her father. The story was quite emotional. It also gives a lot of information about the conflict in Northern Ireland which I didn't know a lot about before reading this book. It's an okay read but not one I'm likely to reread.
Louisa O'donnell
Jun 02, 2012 Louisa O'donnell rated it did not like it

I've started reading this one a few times and it just doesn't grab me. Maybe I havent persisted enough with it, but I don't have a lot of time for books I have to persist with. I might come back to it one day.
Kirsty
Jan 18, 2011 Kirsty rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Really enjoyed this book. Liked that I could relate to the University life of the characters. Also liked the fact that I learnt so much about Ireland through reading this book.
Claudia Wagner
Apr 28, 2008 Claudia Wagner rated it really liked it
Good book with a lot of history about Ireland!
Ztyu
Ztyu marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Nupoor
Nupoor rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Mima
Mima marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Renee Hahnel
Renee Hahnel rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Jo
Jo added it
Jun 25, 2016
Jessica Ireland
Jessica Ireland marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Sarah Dean
Sarah Dean marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Jo
Jo rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
Kel
Kel rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Debra
Debra rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2016
Kate Townshend
Kate Townshend marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Priscilla Tan
Priscilla Tan is currently reading it
Jun 04, 2016
Carly Ferguson
Carly Ferguson rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2016
  • The Good Daughter
  • Joel and Cat Set the Story Straight
  • Saltwater Vampires
  • Sugar Sugar
  • The Life and Times of Gracie Faltrain (Gracie Faltrain, #1)
  • The Simple Gift
  • Five Parts Dead
  • Touching Earth Lightly
  • Mishaps
  • Borrowed Light
  • The Gorgon in the Gully
  • Little Bird (Girlfriend Fiction, #13)
  • Cracked
Maureen McCarthy, the ninth of ten children, was born in 1953 in country Victoria. She has worked as a teacher in Victorian secondary schools and has written scripts for television and educational films. Her film credits include 'Skipping Class', he award-winning documentary, 'Eating Your Heart Out', and the SBS mini-series, 'In Between', which was later adapted inot four novels by Maureen. Her la ...more
More about Maureen McCarthy...