Start by marking “When You Wake and Find Me Gone” as Want to Read:
When You Wake and Find Me Gone

When You Wake and Find Me Gone

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  329 ratings  ·  9 reviews
So how did you meet him? I hear you asking.
Was it love at first sight? Was he a fellow teacher? Did you meet in a pub?

This might be hard to believe, but the first time I looked into your father's eyes, he was holding a gun to my head.

But first, let me explain . . .

Everything is coming together for twenty-year-old Kit. She loves her new subjects at uni, she has some great f
444 pages
Published August 1st 2002 by Penguin Australia

To ask other readers questions about When You Wake and Find Me Gone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When You Wake and Find Me Gone

On the Jellicoe Road by Melina MarchettaThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakSaving Francesca by Melina MarchettaGraffiti Moon by Cath CrowleyTomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden
Favourite Aussie YA books
87th out of 262 books — 793 voters
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie PerkinsPerfect Chemistry by Simone ElkelesBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireWhere She Went by Gayle FormanGoing Too Far by Jennifer Echols
Favourite Older YA Reads - Contemp fiction
160th out of 306 books — 665 voters

More lists with this book...

Bella
How would you react if you found out that your only sister, the one person you once idolised, but then let you down big time, was actually your mother?
Twenty year old Kit has just found out her sister is her mother meaning the two people she'd always thought were her parents are actually her grandparents, and her real father is somewhere in the depths of Ireland.
The book teaches you about forgiveness, understanding, love and the violence of the "wars" in Ireland. Although long winded at times,
Julia
"When you wake and find me gone" started of excellently. I was excited to read about Kit's life, her friends and family and then I noticed something. Kit is and extremely self-centered character, to the point that you feel like she's the annoying girl that you know that constantly brings the conversation topic to herself. She wants everyone to devoted their time listening to her problems but whenever they attempt to talk to her about their own she shuts them down and doesn't want to hear it. She ...more
Cheralaine Cole-Johnson
Dec 26, 2011 Cheralaine Cole-Johnson rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ruth, Brynne, Siobhan, Shanna, Katie
This one will stay with me for awhile. It is one of those lovely books that make you want to read others to learn more details. This deals with the "troubles" of Northern Ireland, more specifically Belfast, and the different forms of protest the Republicans participated in. It gives a face to the terrorists and shows the struggle of those who love them. The only downside is that it is only available in Australia. I subscribe to a blog (Inkcrush) that has put me on to several great Australian wri ...more
Watermelon Daisy
FIRST IMPRESSION:
Beautiful title. The cover's pretty also.

WRITING STYLE:
Maureen McCarthy is one of my favourite writers of all time. Beautiful, flowing writing.

PLOT:
She makes the most absurd things believable.

CHARACTERS:
Loved all their personalities. And her main character, Kit, is very realistic.

OVERALL:
This is a beautiful read for anybody who wants to read a story which is set a little back in time. It's beautiful and conquers the true meaning of friendship and love.

AMOUNT OF STARS:
Elli
This one has been sitting on my bookshelf for a long time. I started it many times but never persevered long enough to reach the end. I managed it this time!
I would rate Maureen McCarthy as one of my favorite authors. Unfortunately, with When You Wake And Find Me Gone, she's not managed one likeable character.
Kit was whiny, ungrateful and just downright rude and inconsiderate. Secondary characters were all to stereotype. And the plot itself was anticlimactic.
Gen
Tells the story of a girl who after an accident finds out her mother is actually her grandmother and her sister is her mother so she packs off to Ireland in search of her father. The story was quite emotional. It also gives a lot of information about the conflict in Northern Ireland which I didn't know a lot about before reading this book. It's an okay read but not one I'm likely to reread.
Louisa O'donnell

I've started reading this one a few times and it just doesn't grab me. Maybe I havent persisted enough with it, but I don't have a lot of time for books I have to persist with. I might come back to it one day.
Kirsty
Really enjoyed this book. Liked that I could relate to the University life of the characters. Also liked the fact that I learnt so much about Ireland through reading this book.
Claudia Wagner
Good book with a lot of history about Ireland!
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Dylan
Dylan marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Amanda Clement
Amanda Clement marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Mel Black
Mel Black marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Breeana
Breeana marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Mallory Ann
Mallory Ann marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
  • The Gorgon in the Gully
  • Holier Than Thou
  • All I Ever Wanted
  • Dancing in the Dark
Maureen McCarthy, the ninth of ten children, was born in 1953 in country Victoria. She has worked as a teacher in Victorian secondary schools and has written scripts for television and educational films. Her film credits include 'Skipping Class', he award-winning documentary, 'Eating Your Heart Out', and the SBS mini-series, 'In Between', which was later adapted inot four novels by Maureen. Her la ...more
More about Maureen McCarthy...
Queen Kat, Carmel and St. Jude Get a Life The Convent Chain of Hearts Rose by Any Other Name Somebody's Crying