Start by marking “When You Wake and Find Me Gone” as Want to Read:
When You Wake and Find Me Gone

When You Wake and Find Me Gone

So how did you meet him? I hear you asking.
Was it love at first sight? Was he a fellow teacher? Did you meet in a pub?

This might be hard to believe, but the first time I looked into your father's eyes, he was holding a gun to my head.

But first, let me explain . . .

Everything is coming together for twenty-year-old Kit. She loves her new subjects at uni, she has some great f
444 pages
Published August 1st 2002 by Penguin Australia

To ask other readers questions about When You Wake and Find Me Gone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When You Wake and Find Me Gone

Jasmine
Oct 19, 2016 Jasmine rated it did not like it
I think my main issue with this book is that it had very little point. While I wanted to finish the book, when I got there, I felt very underwhelmed and a little flat.

The book starts off well. The central character, Kit, and her friends are engaging. They seem familiar. There are small sub-stories in her friends that are interesting and set the premise up very well.

Then comes the introduction of Kit's family, the "big" twist of the book (which was largely very predictable), Kit's journey to Irel
Kate
Sep 19, 2016 Kate rated it it was ok
Self-centered main character, plot that started but just didn't feel entirely finished or well done, half-baked romances and sappy love stories.

The book just felt incomplete, in my opinion.

Almost every chapter ended with "Everything was getting better. So many possibilities!" etc and then by the end of the next chapter it went "Things were horrible." This happened so many times. God, Kit could be infuriating.

The book was... meh.
Bella
Feb 08, 2009 Bella rated it really liked it
How would you react if you found out that your only sister, the one person you once idolised, but then let you down big time, was actually your mother?
Twenty year old Kit has just found out her sister is her mother meaning the two people she'd always thought were her parents are actually her grandparents, and her real father is somewhere in the depths of Ireland.
The book teaches you about forgiveness, understanding, love and the violence of the "wars" in Ireland. Although long winded at times,
Julia
Jun 25, 2015 Julia rated it liked it
Shelves: australian
"When you wake and find me gone" started of excellently. I was excited to read about Kit's life, her friends and family and then I noticed something. Kit is and extremely self-centered character, to the point that you feel like she's the annoying girl that you know that constantly brings the conversation topic to herself. She wants everyone to devoted their time listening to her problems but whenever they attempt to talk to her about their own she shuts them down and doesn't want to hear it. She ...more
Cheralaine Cole-Johnson
Dec 26, 2011 Cheralaine Cole-Johnson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ruth, Brynne, Siobhan, Shanna, Katie
This one will stay with me for awhile. It is one of those lovely books that make you want to read others to learn more details. This deals with the "troubles" of Northern Ireland, more specifically Belfast, and the different forms of protest the Republicans participated in. It gives a face to the terrorists and shows the struggle of those who love them. The only downside is that it is only available in Australia. I subscribe to a blog (Inkcrush) that has put me on to several great Australian ...more
Watermelon Daisy
Jan 08, 2013 Watermelon Daisy rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
FIRST IMPRESSION:
Beautiful title. The cover's pretty also.

WRITING STYLE:
Maureen McCarthy is one of my favourite writers of all time. Beautiful, flowing writing.

PLOT:
She makes the most absurd things believable.

CHARACTERS:
Loved all their personalities. And her main character, Kit, is very realistic.

OVERALL:
This is a beautiful read for anybody who wants to read a story which is set a little back in time. It's beautiful and conquers the true meaning of friendship and love.

AMOUNT OF STARS:
Elli
Feb 17, 2013 Elli rated it it was ok
This one has been sitting on my bookshelf for a long time. I started it many times but never persevered long enough to reach the end. I managed it this time!
I would rate Maureen McCarthy as one of my favorite authors. Unfortunately, with When You Wake And Find Me Gone, she's not managed one likeable character.
Kit was whiny, ungrateful and just downright rude and inconsiderate. Secondary characters were all to stereotype. And the plot itself was anticlimactic.
Gen
Feb 02, 2015 Gen rated it liked it
Shelves: australian
Tells the story of a girl who after an accident finds out her mother is actually her grandmother and her sister is her mother so she packs off to Ireland in search of her father. The story was quite emotional. It also gives a lot of information about the conflict in Northern Ireland which I didn't know a lot about before reading this book. It's an okay read but not one I'm likely to reread.
Louisa O'donnell
Jun 29, 2012 Louisa O'donnell rated it did not like it

I've started reading this one a few times and it just doesn't grab me. Maybe I havent persisted enough with it, but I don't have a lot of time for books I have to persist with. I might come back to it one day.
Kirsty
Jan 18, 2011 Kirsty rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Really enjoyed this book. Liked that I could relate to the University life of the characters. Also liked the fact that I learnt so much about Ireland through reading this book.
Danijel Brestovac
Sep 18, 2015 Danijel Brestovac rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Str. 171 (2. del)- Ne pusti, da bi bilo vse zaman. Ne smejo me zadovoljiti MAJHNE, neumne stvari. TUDI JAZ SE ŽELIM BORITI
Fay
Fay rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2013
Claudia Wagner
Apr 28, 2008 Claudia Wagner rated it really liked it
Good book with a lot of history about Ireland!
3jordi3
3jordi3 rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2013
Keevab
Keevab rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2014
Matty Coxyy
Matty Coxyy rated it did not like it
Apr 29, 2015
Marlon Pagcu
Marlon Pagcu rated it did not like it
May 30, 2013
Danielle Adam
Danielle Adam rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2015
Valerie
Valerie rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2013
Kyim Wilson
Kyim Wilson rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2016
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was ok
Mar 25, 2011
Amanda-jane
Amanda-jane rated it really liked it
May 23, 2014
Elisabeth
Elisabeth rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2013
Sasag
Sasag rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2011
April
April rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2012
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2012
Mikaela
Mikaela rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2012
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
May 09, 2012
Rania T
Rania T rated it liked it
May 27, 2015
  • The Good Daughter
  • Joel and Cat Set the Story Straight
  • Saltwater Vampires
  • Sugar Sugar
  • The Life and Times of Gracie Faltrain (Gracie Faltrain, #1)
  • The Simple Gift
  • Five Parts Dead
  • Touching Earth Lightly
  • Mishaps
  • Borrowed Light
  • The Gorgon in the Gully
  • Little Bird (Girlfriend Fiction, #13)
  • Cracked
Maureen McCarthy, the ninth of ten children, was born in 1953 in country Victoria. She has worked as a teacher in Victorian secondary schools and has written scripts for television and educational films. Her film credits include 'Skipping Class', he award-winning documentary, 'Eating Your Heart Out', and the SBS mini-series, 'In Between', which was later adapted inot four novels by Maureen. Her ...more
More about Maureen McCarthy...