Start by marking “Fell, Tome 1: Snowtown” as Want to Read:
Fell, Tome 1: Snowtown

Fell, Tome 1: Snowtown (Fell)

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,700 Ratings  ·  240 Reviews
Con la faccia nel fango. Continua il viaggio all’inferno del tenente Richard Fell, sempre più a suo agio a sguazzare nel fango di Snowtown.
Per lui, quattro nuovi casi. Per noi, quattro capitoli che chiudono il primo ciclo della saga noir di Ellis e Templesmith, una lucida e appassionata autopsia della disperazione umana.
80 pages
Published 2007 by Delcourt (first published September 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Fell, Tome 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fell, Tome 1

Mark Desrosiers
Aug 05, 2008 Mark Desrosiers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
In one of the opening stories, we encounter a coroner eating a sandwich over this corpse, while our protagonist, Detective Fell, can barely contain his vomit. A tomato drops from the sandwich into the corpse, and coroner goes after it with his pincers:

Fell: If you retrieve that piece of tomato from where it fell and then put it in your mouth I will shoot you.
Coroner: ...I was simply going to remove it. I have to go over the bridge for organic tomato, you know.

Four panels later, the coroner pops
John Huizar
Sep 04, 2007 John Huizar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mature comic fans
One of my favorite comics ever, collected here into a trade paperback. The comics themselves were short, only 19 pages, but extremely dense, each one telling a complete story.

The setting is a creepy suburb called Snowtown, a dark, bleak place overtaken by urban decay. Fell is a detective exiled to this place, and fights something of a losing battle against the hopelessness and pointless, horrific violence that pervade the place.

The stories themselves are dark and often gruesome, and made all th
Mindy Reads
May 13, 2016 Mindy Reads rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This was so dark and gritty, it reminded me of the movie Seven (specifically the gluttony scene). The setting is so seedy and the characters are vile, so naturally I loved it.
Bradley
Jul 23, 2015 Bradley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-library
A mixture of Sin City and Transmetropolitan's absurdity and humor with a straight man-type protagonist surrounded by insanity. It seemed too over the top at first, but really clicked for me around the middle of the first issue. I'm not sure if it got less ever the top or I just got used to it.

I find Ellis's work really hit and miss and can't really think of any other comics he's done that I've liked outside of his work for Vertigo and Wildstorm (and his short run on Moon Knight). So I'm glad I g
Estelle
Oh man, this was great! I need more.
Paul Mirek
This is the comic equivalent of Ellis's Crooked Little Vein, using a noir framework to investigate humanity's darkest, strangest urges. However, this series has the advantage of Templesmith's art, which helps fill in much of the world-building that Ellis's prose left out. In any event, the pair has done a fine job of making Snowtown, the titular "feral city," one that I'd never want to visit.

That's limiting when it comes to storytelling possibilities (and brings to mind a quote from Grant Morris
Arminzerella
Muz
Feb 03, 2009 Muz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not for the faint of heart.

Warren Ellis's writing is often full of everything that lurks in the shadows and goes bump in the night. He explores the underbelly from the underbelly's point of view. That's what Snowtown is, from the perspective of detective Fell. Everyone is hiding something, even our savant Detective who is akin to TV's "The Mentalist" or "Psych" with his powers of observation, common sense. But he also has the ability to imagine the worst, and the TV characters would never find
Tony
Crime meets horror in this collection of eight stories about Detective Richard Fell -- once a high-flying investigator in the big city, now exiled across the river/bay to a rotting urban wasteland called Snowtown. Imagine Brooklyn or Queens, sitting across the water from Manhattan, or Oakland sitting across the bay from San Francisco. Now imagine them without any daylight and barely any city services, with packs of wild dogs, and rampant with psychopaths. Fell is that lonely knight walking down ...more
Chelsea Weaver-Smith
Dec 16, 2015 Chelsea Weaver-Smith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-favorites
4.5 stars (I think?!)

This one was really hard to rate for me. I'm in love and intrigued with Ellis's writing and storyline, but the artwork is what has me confused about my feelings for this trade. The same artwork that is perfectly fitting for its story is also hard to read. There are no clean lines, meaning some of the action gets a little distorted and confusing. This very thing that frustrates me also makes perfect sense for a crime-ridden place like Snowtown. In some panels, the artwork was
Michael Benavidez
Oh how I am tempted to give this a one star. Not because its contents are terrible, but because this series has been on hiatus since 2008. 2008!!! had I known this, I would not have fallen in love with it.

From the writer of Transmetropolitan comes something darker, less in your face, but just as in your face.
Where Trans. was filled with a loud, obnoxious Spider, with wild, bright, sometimes cartoony art, Fell is the opposite. Det. Fell is brilliant, but somewhat quiet (when not showing off or
Story
May 28, 2015 Story rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Ben Templesmith's art. I love Warren Ellis' flawed heros, his pacing and storytelling, his use of inference. The two of them together? Oh, yes yes yes.

I like the form this comic takes: each issue is a story, compact and clean. Each resolution brings the reader a clearer picture of Richard Fell, who, like Ellis' Spider Jerusalem, cares too much.

I like the feel of Snowtown. It reminds me of Detroit but worse. Our world, but parts of it so far gone that I wonder if they foreshadow an apocal
Ikebukuro
Feb 08, 2015 Ikebukuro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So freaking good. Dark and deep with strong characters. One of my fav so far.
Eva

I had to think a little bit about the rating for this one. I have mixed feelings about it. Don't get me wrong, I did like the story, but something didn't click inside me. I mean, there was everything inside it to make me love it, and I... Didn't. I liked it, but I could feel that I wasn't getting the emotions that I was suppose to feel. I love crime stories, I like a kind of "True Detective" vibe, with a city forgotten by God (or whoever you believe in) where hope is long dead and the
Max Karpovets
Nov 06, 2015 Max Karpovets rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, 2015, image
Прекрасний атмосферний комікс, який нагадує за депресивністю та меланхолійністю фільм Девіда Фінчера "Сім". Молодий детектив Річард Фелл приїжджає до брудного, Богом забутого міста, щоб помаленьку розплутувати його таємниці й загадки. Тут практично нема жодного позитивного персонажа - кожен має свій гріх та скелет у шафі (а дехто й цілу колекцію). Для самого детектива це є хорошою нагодою перевірити свої моральні переконання, які з кожним розслідуванням розхитуються, як маятник з боку в бік. До ...more
Sabra Embury
Feb 23, 2011 Sabra Embury rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I really got into collection, developing an even more profound respect for Warren Ellis and a new found respect for Ben Templesmith: the illustrator. The comics themselves were short, only 19 pages, but dense and provocative in their dystopian chaos, each self-contained vignette telling a complete story, all brewing together a much bigger picture, framed in a noir-esque bizarro woodwork with enough light doled in for small flurries of hope to shine through the bleak urban landscape of nowhere.

F
Ruby
Feb 12, 2015 Ruby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel, dark
Really dark and disturbing story about a detective who is transferred to working on the most awful side of town. Each case is short and intense. I wish some of them went more in depth. The artwork helped add to the feel of the comic.
Brenton Nichol
This was quite an intriguing graphic novel collection; each chapter contains a short, to-the-point, self-contained story, but each one also gives a few hints concerning the overall story-arc of the series. The main characters are likable, while flawed, which I don't always find to be the case with crime-noir. This initial volume delivers an exciting setting and a fast and rewarding pace within the small stories while also setting up some larger mysteries that will only be examined over time thro ...more
Travis
A wildly, dark and surreal cop show of a series. If David Lynch wrote and directed Law and Order.
Richard Fell may be the last sane man in a city that is slowly falling apart and he wanders the mean streets dealing with crimes both big and small. The cases he works on are all cleverly done and a mix of fascinating and disturbing.
The stories are all short and self contained, while at the same time slowly building up various sub-plots and character histories.
Anybody else really creeped out by the n
Jamil

warren's so good at what he does that it is incredibly subtle here, in these 8 nine panel 16 page short crime stories about a cop actually trying to do his job in an abandoned, blighted urban environment. you could be distracted by the recurrent ellisisms, (tough, damaged protagonists, extemely f-cked up social mores, cigarettes, heavy drinking) but (and honestly, if anything is an ellisism, this is too), there is a beating, loving heart vibrating at the center of this morass. detective fell wan
Farmieeeee
May 29, 2015 Farmieeeee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favs, comix, 5tastic
One of the first comics I actually purchased and I'm happy that it turned out to be really enjoyable. I've been a big fan of Ellis since my sister lent me Planetary, one of his most famous and loved creations and I really love Templesmith's style so getting this was a pretty easy decision.

The book is separated by chapters many different cases taken on by a Detective Fell in a town called Snowtown, all of which are self-contained and intriguing even though the chapters themselves are brief.

A big
Damián Vives
Aug 23, 2014 Damián Vives rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No por nada Warren Ellis es considerado uno de los grandes guionistas de los últimos años. El autor que renovó el cómic de superhéroes con The Authority y Planetary comienza el nuevo siglo decidido a revolucionar el género negro con Fell, una colección de episodios autoconclusivos que narran las desventuras de Richard Fell, un detective de homicidios de la gran manzana que es reasignado a Snowtown, una ciudad que funciona como microclima para maníacos y depravados; una ciudad que posee una lógic ...more
Luis Joel
Un bonito ejercicio de Warren Ellis para hacer una serie de comics basados en la novela negra, que fueran baratos y cuyos números fueran autocontenidos.
Lamentablemente aunque Ellis es un gran escritor, queda claro que aún le falta mucho para poder copiar de forma eficaz a las mini historias de Will Eisner (que lograban concluir un misterio en apenas ocho páginas).
Aún así se agradece este cómic cuya intención ha sido ser barato, rápido y entretenido. Cosas que logra sin duda alguna.
Templesmith,
Paul Raud
Jul 17, 2014 Paul Raud rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This comic book series is truly something special! First of all Ellis has not only changed the concept of regular comics but also the concept of regular crime fiction.
When I finished reading the #1 issue, I actually wanted to hate it. It was so damn short and I couldnt get a good grip on the story. Eventually I discovered thats what makes it so great. The story is short, planned with special precision and hell its striking. Plus each issue presents a complete story, you dont have to read the pr
Federiken Masters
Feb 07, 2012 Federiken Masters rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans de los autores.
Recommended to Federiken by: Que estaba a mano
Cosa rara. Cosa macabra. Cosa experimental. Cosa concisa. Cosa llamativa. Qué cosa, estos autores. Si algún día se dignan a continuar la serie, quizás yo me digne a escribir una reseña un poco más elaborada. Eso sí, vamos a aprovechar para quejarnos de la edición española: ¡Contratad un puto corrector, coño! Hacía rato que no veía tantas burradas, tantos errores de traducción y estilísticos en un comic relativamente serio. ¡Dios le da pan...!
Judd Karlman
Nov 16, 2007 Judd Karlman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fell might just be the comic that we look back on and notice as Ellis' best shit. He isn't trying too damned hard and is just enjoying a damned good cop story in a feral fucking city.

In its monthly format, it is the comic that I look forward to the most, the one I savor for last and the one that better not be missing from my monthly pile.

Once these are collected in a nice big, pretty hard-cover, I'll pick on up for my shelf.
Lisamarie
Jul 12, 2007 Lisamarie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My mom! Oh wait, I wouldn't.
OH wow ... the chapter/issue with the ex-crackhead mom and the creepy house and the restraining order just about did me in! But there's also a real sweetness to it and it's a fresh and original cop story. I love the bartender, and really anything having to do with the bar. Nice art too.
Andrew
Apr 01, 2013 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The stories can stand alone and seem to build at the same time. I'm sad to say that this story will never be finished, but sometimes that gives the narrative we do have a little more heft then if they tumbled off into some mediocre ending.
Wealhtheow
Jun 15, 2009 Wealhtheow rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
A detective is transferred to serve a disintegrating neighborhood. The art plays into the creepy, off-balance vibe.
Surprisingly free of the usual Ellis rants and raves.
Brian Dickerson
Sep 17, 2011 Brian Dickerson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paperback, image
Just dang good. So much story packed into each self-contained issue. I hope Ellis / Templesmith pick this back up soon. I need to know about the Nixon nun.
  • Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse, Volume 1: Birds, Bees, Blood & Beer
  • Queen and Country: The Definitive Edition, Vol. 1
  • Northlanders, Vol. 1: Sven the Returned
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 9: Strychnine Lives
  • Scalped, Vol. 1: Indian Country
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 1: The First Hundred Days (Ex Machina, #1)
  • Powers, Vol. 1: Who Killed Retro Girl?
Warren Ellis is the award-winning writer of graphic novels like TRANSMETROPOLITAN, FELL, MINISTRY OF SPACE and PLANETARY, and the author of the NYT-bestselling GUN MACHINE and the “underground classic” novel CROOKED LITTLE VEIN. The movie RED is based on his graphic novel of the same name, its sequel having been released in summer 2013. His graphic novel GLOBAL FREQUENCY is in development at Jerry ...more
More about Warren Ellis...

Fell (9 books)
  • Fell #6
  • Fell #7
  • Fell #8
  • Fell #9

“Cos a cop asking a guy for a discount on his crack, that's screwed up.
Sign of the goddamn apocalypse is what it is.”
0 likes