Start by marking “Summer of Love” as Want to Read:
Summer of Love

Summer of Love

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  21 reviews
It's 1967 and something new is sweeping across America: good vibes, bad vibes, lab-designed drugs, psychedelic music, free love, dropouts, bikers, flower children, an age of innocence, a time of danger, the Summer of Love. The Summer of Love is San Francisco, where would-be flower children flock to join the hip elite, where squares cruise the streets to view the human zoo....more
Mass Market Paperback, 433 pages
Published May 1st 1995 by Spectra (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Summer of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer of Love

The Martian by Andy WeirReady Player One by Ernest ClineA Scanner Darkly by Philip K. DickDragon Dawn by Deborah O'Neill CordesWe by Yevgeny Zamyatin
Hidden Gems of Science Fiction
17th out of 242 books — 166 voters
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerOutlander by Diana Gabaldon11/22/63 by Stephen KingThe Time Machine by H.G. WellsTime and Again by Jack Finney
The Best Time Travel Books of All Time
101st out of 329 books — 780 voters

More lists with this book...

Rachael
This is one of my favorite books, a "comfort-food" read. I first read it probably 10 years ago, and re-read it often. It's one of my default books, for when I really need to read something but don't want to start anything brand new and want something soothing and familiar.

I love the way Lisa Mason wrote this book; her writing style, her choice of tense and words. Everthing about this book works for me; the concept, the story, the characters. And every time I read it, I come away with something...more
Patrick
I loved this book almost all the way through- I've been meaning to read it during a summer for like 2 summers now, and I'm glad I finally did. The prose at the beginning was reminiscent of Tom Wolfe's Electric Kool-aid, and it reminded me of another book, Move Underground, which combined Beatnik prose with H.P. Lovecraft. Summer of Love combined hippie prose with science fiction, but I thought it was better because it didn't rely on demystifying or making protagonists out of historical people. S...more
Kivrin Engle
With a nice combination of well-written hippie prose and tech time traveling science-fiction goodness, Mason sends us back to the 60s, to a time and space remembered both as a summer of love and a summer of strife.

Dig this: it's 1967 in San Francisco; Summer of Love. Teenybopper Susan, new alias Starbright, runs away from her suburban Ohio home, seeking peace and love in The Haight-Ashbury. She crosses paths with a real cool cat, one young Chiron Cat's Eye in Draco, goes by Chi and hails from th...more
Valerie Forbes
I read this when I was in sixth grade about fifteen or sixteen years ago. It changed my life. Some say pot is the gateway drug, but this was mine.
Kendra
the perfect combination of historical fiction, smelly hippies, and sci-fi!
Liat Gubi-van Dijk
I will start by saying that I didn't finish the book. That is why I gave it 2 stars (the benefit of the doubt). I really wanted to like this book. It had all the thing that I like: time traveling, hippies, chapters named after classic rock hits, but then something went wrong. The first thing was the writing style. It just wasn't for me. It got better as the book went on, but it still didn't feel natural to me. The second, and more important problem was that it wasn't what I was expecting. I thou...more
Lisa Mason
Jun 29, 2013 Lisa Mason rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
The classic time travel to 1967. Summer of Love is up as The Summer of Love Serials in seven affordable installments for all readers worldwide! Start at Summer of Love, Serial 1: Celebration of the Summer Solstice.

A Philip K. Dick Award Finalist. A San Francisco Chronicle Recommended Book. Nineteen Five-star Amazon reviews. From the author of The Gilded Age, A Time Travel (a New York Times Notable Book and New York Public Library Recommended Book), The Garden of Abracadabra, Volume 1 of the Abra...more
Lisa Mason
May 31, 2011 Lisa Mason rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
“Captures the moment perfectly and offers a tantalizing glimpse of its wonderful and terrible consequences.” San Francisco Chronicle

“A fine novel packed with vivid detail, colorful characters, and genuine insight.” Washington Post Book World

“Remarkable. . . .the intellect on display within these psychedelically packaged pages is clear-sighted, witty, and wise.” Locus

“Mason has an astonishing gift. Her chief characters almost walk off the page. And the story is as significant as anyone could wis...more
Meg
I owned this book in college and my younger sister took it from me. She was a hippie at heart and really identified with this book. Later I would find it again and own it.

It takes place during the summer of love. Part fictionalized history with science fiction time travel thrown in. Fasinating.

Not the best written book in the world but enjoyable.
John B
I just... couldn't finish reading this. Some of the characters were interesting, but some were so frustrating I started skipping over large portions of their tales. The book comes across as preachy, like it has a strong but subversive political agenda, so I put it down halfway through. Might try it again someday, but who knows.
Jayne Lamb
My favourite SF book of all time, beautiful, cynical and completely involving. I wasn't yet born in 1967 but in less that 350 pages Mason utterly immerses you in the Haight Ashbury 'scene' and fills you with nostalgia for somewhen you've never been. Unmissable.
Becky
After seeing this book at the libray for over a year i finaly read it and loved it : ) i always liked the cover but when i would read the back i would always put it back im so glad i finaly gave it a shot.
elissa
Apr 07, 2008 elissa marked it as to-read
Someone was making a list of time travel books on YALSA-BK today. This looked fun--a time traveler from 500 years in the future goes back to San Francisco the year I was born (1967).
Mia
This book completely suprised me. I picked it up at the library after passing over it several times. I enjoyed it from the start. The plot was interesting and well crafted.
Kristin
Such a fascinating and fantastic novel. It deftly and beautifully melds three of my favorite genres: the hippie novel, the time-travel novel and the sci-fi novel.
Mary
I always liked books that involve some time travel paradox or another. The writing is 'cute' in some ways, but still enjoyable.
Debbie
One of the best time-travel books I've ever read. Great info about San Francisco in 1967.
Juliet Hill
I'm leaving my inital rating of 4 stars, but really would only give it three this time around.
Bruce
A clever and entertaining time travel story set in the heyday of The Sixties.
Heather
Sep 30, 2012 Heather rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather by: Juli
3.5. I didn't like it at first, but it grew on me.
Sheryl Prenzlau
Sheryl Prenzlau marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Jodie Sinclair
Jodie Sinclair marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Virginia
Virginia marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Kristie Dean
Kristie Dean marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Skye Getman
Skye Getman marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
  • The Plot to Save Socrates
  • Silver Screen
  • Slaughtermatic
  • Thomas Jefferson, Rachel & Me
  • A Bridge of Years
  • Millennium
  • Rabbit Hole (The Paradox Series, #1)
  • A Secret History (Book of Ash,  #1)
  • In Times Like These
  • Perv - A Love Story
  • There Will Be Time
  • Hippie
  • From Time to Time (Time, #2)
  • Life II
  • The Color of Distance
  • If I Never Get Back
  • The Fuzzy Papers (Fuzzy Sapiens, #1-2)
  • The Walrus Was Paul: The Great Beatle Death Clues
Lisa Mason is the author of nine novels, including SUMMER OF LOVE (Bantam), a San Francisco Chronicle Recommended Book and Philip K. Dick Award finalist, and THE GOLDEN NINETIES (Bantam), a New York Times Notable Book and New York Public Library Recommended Book.

Mason published her first story, “ARACHNE,” in Omni and has since published short fiction in magazines and anthologies worldwide, includi...more
More about Lisa Mason...
Arachne The Golden Nineties Cyberweb Pangaea  Book I: Imperium Without End Pangaea  Book II: Imperium Afire