Start by marking “Summer of Love” as Want to Read:
Summer of Love

Summer of Love

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  221 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
It's 1967 and something new is sweeping across America: good vibes, bad vibes, lab-designed drugs, psychedelic music, free love, dropouts, bikers, flower children, an age of innocence, a time of danger, the Summer of Love. The Summer of Love is San Francisco, where would-be flower children flock to join the hip elite, where squares cruise the streets to view the human zoo. ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 433 pages
Published May 1st 1995 by Spectra (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Summer of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer of Love

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger11/22/63 by Stephen KingOutlander by Diana GabaldonThe Time Machine by H.G. WellsReplay by Ken Grimwood
The Best Time Travel Books of All Time
117th out of 431 books — 1,066 voters
A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. DickThe Meat Market by James ChalkParable of the Sower by Octavia E. ButlerWe by Yevgeny ZamyatinRed Rising by Pierce Brown
Hidden Gems of Science Fiction
50th out of 263 books — 503 voters

More lists with this book...

Rachael
Aug 30, 2007 Rachael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is one of my favorite books, a "comfort-food" read. I first read it probably 10 years ago, and re-read it often. It's one of my default books, for when I really need to read something but don't want to start anything brand new and want something soothing and familiar.

I love the way Lisa Mason wrote this book; her writing style, her choice of tense and words. Everthing about this book works for me; the concept, the story, the characters. And every time I read it, I come away with something
Kivrin Engle
Sep 06, 2011 Kivrin Engle rated it it was amazing
With a nice combination of well-written hippie prose and tech time traveling science-fiction goodness, Mason sends us back to the 60s, to a time and space remembered both as a summer of love and a summer of strife.

Dig this: it's 1967 in San Francisco; Summer of Love. Teenybopper Susan, new alias Starbright, runs away from her suburban Ohio home, seeking peace and love in The Haight-Ashbury. She crosses paths with a real cool cat, one young Chiron Cat's Eye in Draco, goes by Chi and hails from th
Printable Tire
Jul 16, 2009 Printable Tire rated it really liked it
I loved this book almost all the way through- I've been meaning to read it during a summer for like 2 summers now, and I'm glad I finally did. The prose at the beginning was reminiscent of Tom Wolfe's Electric Kool-aid, and it reminded me of another book, Move Underground, which combined Beatnik prose with H.P. Lovecraft. Summer of Love combined hippie prose with science fiction, but I thought it was better because it didn't rely on demystifying or making protagonists out of historical people. S ...more
Valerie Forbes
I read this when I was in sixth grade about fifteen or sixteen years ago. It changed my life. Some say pot is the gateway drug, but this was mine.
Kendra
Mar 06, 2008 Kendra rated it it was amazing
the perfect combination of historical fiction, smelly hippies, and sci-fi!
Liat Gubi-van Dijk
Jul 13, 2014 Liat Gubi-van Dijk rated it did not like it
I will start by saying that I didn't finish the book. That is why I gave it 2 stars (the benefit of the doubt). I really wanted to like this book. It had all the thing that I like: time traveling, hippies, chapters named after classic rock hits, but then something went wrong. The first thing was the writing style. It just wasn't for me. It got better as the book went on, but it still didn't feel natural to me. The second, and more important problem was that it wasn't what I was expecting. I thou ...more
Lisa Mason
Jun 29, 2013 Lisa Mason rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
The classic time travel to 1967. Summer of Love is up as The Summer of Love Serials in seven affordable installments for all readers worldwide! Start at Summer of Love, Serial 1: Celebration of the Summer Solstice.

A Philip K. Dick Award Finalist. A San Francisco Chronicle Recommended Book. Nineteen Five-star Amazon reviews. From the author of The Gilded Age, A Time Travel (a New York Times Notable Book and New York Public Library Recommended Book), The Garden of Abracadabra, Volume 1 of the Abra
Kristin Rose
Such a fascinating and fantastic novel. It deftly and beautifully melds three of my favorite genres: the hippie novel, the time-travel novel and the sci-fi novel.
Debbie
May 11, 2010 Debbie rated it it was amazing
One of the best time-travel books I've ever read. Great info about San Francisco in 1967.
Katie
Oct 08, 2015 Katie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the atmosphere of this book much more than the two characters. I still never fully understood Chi's future, despite the abundant details - it just never felt "real" to me. But the stuff set in 1967? That was far easier to wrap my head around and enjoy. Ruby A. Maverick was fun to read and was who kept me int he narrative more than Starbright or Chi.
Lily Silver
Apr 28, 2015 Lily Silver rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow, a visit back to the 1960's. It was fun, and it was enlightening. I felt like I was right there with Starbright, Ruby, and. Chiron Cat's eye in Draco....yeah, that's his real name!

If you like Time travel stories this is a good one. Not a romance, but has romantic elements.
Only thing I did not like was that it was written in present tense. that took some getting used to. (she sees, he takes, Ruby thinks, etc.) Once I adjusted it was great.
Lisa Mason
May 31, 2011 Lisa Mason rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
“Captures the moment perfectly and offers a tantalizing glimpse of its wonderful and terrible consequences.” San Francisco Chronicle

“A fine novel packed with vivid detail, colorful characters, and genuine insight.” Washington Post Book World

“Remarkable. . . .the intellect on display within these psychedelically packaged pages is clear-sighted, witty, and wise.” Locus

“Mason has an astonishing gift. Her chief characters almost walk off the page. And the story is as significant as anyone could wis
Alias Pending
Dec 09, 2015 Alias Pending rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Relentlessly tedious, filled with unsavory characters that drone on in their petty pace to the last syllable of recorded time, which is, according to this book, "those damn hippies!" Or "ees!" I guess. Not a groovy time, read like a bad trip, I got shucked and rumbled by the man... etc.
Horrible
lluke
Oct 13, 2015 lluke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i know little about the actual 'summer of love', but this was entertaining, and i think set a plausible scene. i can absolutely believe the hypocrisy and constant disagreements about what the revolution is. i think the characters interactions were beautifully described.
Kevin Guarnotta
Kind of a poor ending....wrapped up a bit too quickly. Decent character development, although main character's age didn't quite match her.
Daniel Borochovitz
it started slow and uninteresting
i nearly stopped reading it and i jumped to a different book for some time
but it gets better and better until the end
(by 30% i was no longer thinking of dropping the book, at 50% it was interesting, at 80% i started finding time to read it instead of reading it wen i had time)

and i really like the message of the book
Tim
Jul 13, 2015 Tim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a load of nonsense. The book couldn't seem to make up it's mind if it wanted to be a Young Adult novel discussing the difficulties of escaping 60's American suburbia and 500 year future "destiny", or an adult novel exploring the hedonistic fugue of the era. Perhaps I needed to have been there, in California during the actual summer of love of 1967, to get the references. I can understand why time travellers might wish to visit, but the time travelling characters in this book weren't selling ...more
Gaby Chapman
Nov 14, 2015 Gaby Chapman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
She was there...
Richard
Jan 25, 2016 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quirky concept, enjoyed it more than I thought I would
Laura Shannon
Mar 20, 2014 Laura Shannon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not for me.
Meg
Sep 19, 2007 Meg rated it really liked it
Shelves: sciencefiction
I owned this book in college and my younger sister took it from me. She was a hippie at heart and really identified with this book. Later I would find it again and own it.

It takes place during the summer of love. Part fictionalized history with science fiction time travel thrown in. Fasinating.

Not the best written book in the world but enjoyable.
John Bardinelli
Sep 27, 2013 John Bardinelli rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
I just... couldn't finish reading this. Some of the characters were interesting, but some were so frustrating I started skipping over large portions of their tales. The book comes across as preachy, like it has a strong but subversive political agenda, so I put it down halfway through. Might try it again someday, but who knows.
Jayne Lamb
Jul 27, 2011 Jayne Lamb rated it it was amazing
My favourite SF book of all time, beautiful, cynical and completely involving. I wasn't yet born in 1967 but in less that 350 pages Mason utterly immerses you in the Haight Ashbury 'scene' and fills you with nostalgia for somewhen you've never been. Unmissable.
Becky
Oct 16, 2011 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
After seeing this book at the libray for over a year i finaly read it and loved it : ) i always liked the cover but when i would read the back i would always put it back im so glad i finaly gave it a shot.
elissa
Apr 07, 2008 elissa marked it as to-read
Someone was making a list of time travel books on YALSA-BK today. This looked fun--a time traveler from 500 years in the future goes back to San Francisco the year I was born (1967).
Mia
Sep 02, 2012 Mia rated it really liked it
This book completely suprised me. I picked it up at the library after passing over it several times. I enjoyed it from the start. The plot was interesting and well crafted.
Joris Brakkee
Aardig geschreven, maar niet speciaal. De stukken in de toekomst zijn vrij matig. En toch lees je wel door, dus heel slecht is het ook weer niet.
Mary
Sep 13, 2008 Mary rated it really liked it
I always liked books that involve some time travel paradox or another. The writing is 'cute' in some ways, but still enjoyable.
Juliet Hill
Jun 06, 2011 Juliet Hill rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
I'm leaving my inital rating of 4 stars, but really would only give it three this time around.
Bruce
Nov 25, 2012 Bruce rated it really liked it
A clever and entertaining time travel story set in the heyday of The Sixties.
  • Maximum Ice
  • Points of Departure
  • Life
  • Knight Moves
  • Reclamation
  • Frontera
  • Unburning Alexandria (Sierra Waters, #2)
  • Washington's Providence (A Timeless Arts Novel, #1)
  • Becoming Alien (Saga of Tom Red-Clay, #1)
  • Æstival Tide
  • Take a Walk on the Dark Side: Rock and Roll Myths, Legends, and Curses
  • Stable Strategies and Others
  • The Color of Distance
  • There Will Be Time
New for 2016: Mason will be publishing a new story, "Anything For You," in The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. She's the Curator of the Story Collection Storybundle, which will run from May 11 to June 2, 2016. Her collection, Strange Ladies, will be included in the bundle.

New for 2015: Mason will be publishing two major new stories in The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, "Teardrop
More about Lisa Mason...