Start by marking “Shakespeare Stories” as Want to Read:
Shakespeare Stories

Shakespeare Stories

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  8 reviews
By skillfully weaving his own prose with Shakespeare's language, Leon Garfield has refashioned twelve of the Elizabethan playwright's most memorable dramas into stories, capturing all the richness of the characters, plot, mood, and setting. This format will delight both those who know the great dramatist's works and those who are new to them. Michael Foreman's dramatic col ...more
Published March 30th 1998 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Shakespeare Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shakespeare Stories

♥Xeni♥
This book frightened me a youngster. I think it was mainly the very disturbing artwork, although Shakespeare himself did come up with some bizarre scenes!

Still, this book did contribute to my modern-day love of Shakespeare's works, something that I will always be grateful for. You can't really count yourself a great reader (in my eyes anyway) if you don't find yourself with an affinity for some of the prose and verse that this man (or whatever, conspiracies aside, for this review) had used/inven
dale paul
Jul 12, 2007 dale paul added it
Recommends it for: A beginner
This book aids in one's first attempt at tilling the garden that is the mind for the arduous task of planting Shakespeare in the brain. The plays are broken down into detailed summaries that would make great bedtimes stories for young ones, save a few. It doesn't have all the plays, but most of the good ones. It does include snip-its from Shakespear's pen which is a plus.
Suzanne Vincent
This book and it's companion volume II are an excellent way to introduce young readers to Shakespeare. Read-alouds for 2 through 5 graders, and read-alones for 6th through 9th, they are well-written, include numerous direct quotes from the plays, follow the storylines faithfully, and are punctuated with some beautiful ink and watercolor illustrations.
Gwennie
I bought this book with my allowance when I was in 6th grade...adn I still love it to this day. These are faithful retellings of Shakespeare's plays in story form...and they include much of the beautiful language. Reading these helped me learn to love the plays as I got older.
Azriella
While this is not a collection of Shakespeare's plays, it is the basic stories that Shakespeare wrote. It is a good book to give to children in order to introduce them to Shakespeare.
Leah
This book was my first introduction to Shakespeare. My dad read the stories to me when I was little. I love the illustrations.
Kathleen
Starting with King Lear, my daughter's gruesome choice. She's a rapt audience so far.
Elise
Read frequently by Constance. She likes it every much.
Sadaf & Nadeem
Sadaf & Nadeem marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Veronika
Veronika marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Raghawendra Sinha
Raghawendra Sinha marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Mariya
Mariya marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Manisha
Manisha is currently reading it
Jan 03, 2015
Debra Kirwan
Debra Kirwan marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Kimberly Wright
Kimberly Wright marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Rachel
Rachel added it
Dec 21, 2014
Fee
Fee marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Dominique
Dominique marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Annmarie
Annmarie marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Kathleen Verdult
Kathleen Verdult marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Canterbury Tales (Puffin Classics)
  • The Friendly Shakespeare: A Thoroughly Painless Guide to the Best of the Bard
  • Becoming Shakespeare: The Unlikely Afterlife That Turned a Provincial Playwright into the Bard
  • Cleopatra
  • The Boy's King Arthur: Sir Thomas Malory's History of King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table
  • Beowulf: A New Telling
  • Free?: Stories About Human Rights
  • The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia
  • The Handy History Answer Book (1st Ed.)
  • The World of Columbus and Sons
  • City: A Story of Roman Planning and Construction
  • Tales from Shakespeare
  • The Story of Rolf and the Viking Bow
  • Black Ships Before Troy
Leon Garfield, the distinguished author of more than thirty books for children and adults, has won numerous literary awards and honors, including the Carnegie Medal. Before his death in 1996, he lived in London with his wife, author Vivien Alcock, and their daughter.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Gar...
More about Leon Garfield...
Smith Black Jack A Midsummer's Night Dream (Shakespeare Stories) Macbeth: From Shakespeare Stories The Strange Affair of Adelaide Harris