Start by marking “Shakespeare Stories” as Want to Read:
Shakespeare Stories

Shakespeare Stories

By skillfully weaving his own prose with Shakespeare's language, Leon Garfield has refashioned twelve of the Elizabethan playwright's most memorable dramas into stories, capturing all the richness of the characters, plot, mood, and setting. This format will delight both those who know the great dramatist's works and those who are new to them. Michael Foreman's dramatic col ...more
Published March 30th 1998 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Shakespeare Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shakespeare Stories

Anna Kļaviņa
12 Shakespeare plays retold as short stories.

The Prince was also reading; but there was a deeper likeness between Hamlet and Ophelia than such outward show. Each had been commanded by a father, one living, one dead, to play a part for which nature had not fashioned them: Ophelia for deceit, and Hamlet for murderous revenge.

Diana Kullman
Mar 03, 2016 Diana Kullman rated it it was amazing
This was a delightful book of Shakespeare Stories. I saved the two that I was unfamiliar with to read last and thoroughly enjoyed them (Cymbeline & Measure for Measure). I'm ready to get reacquainted with Shakespeare!
Lisa
Feb 27, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lisa by: Sonlight Homeschool Curriculum
A collection of 12 of Shakespeare's more famous plays, retold and written in a modern, engaging style.
Stuart
Oct 19, 2016 Stuart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The first time I read anything by William Shakespeare was 9th grade. I didn't understand it. I don't think my teacher understood. And it didn't ignite a spark in me to read more of his works. I would like to say as my high school years passed I got progressively better, but it wasn't until I read Hamlet that I developed a true interest in Shakespeare. As I have grown older, I have read many different works on Shakespeare, including Catholic interpretations of his works and children's books that
Paper Clippers
How to introduce kids to Shakespeare—not just to the stories behind the plays but to the richness of his language and the depth of his characters. That’s the challenge that Leon Garfield, a wonderful children’s book writer, undertook to meet in his monumental and delightful Shakespeare Stories. Here are twenty-one of the Bard’s plays, presented in what is not a series of dry retellings, but rather a refashioning of the dramas as stories, in a way that remains true to the essential spirit of the ...more
♥Xeni♥
Dec 07, 2010 ♥Xeni♥ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, fiction, classic
This book frightened me a youngster. I think it was mainly the very disturbing artwork, although Shakespeare himself did come up with some bizarre scenes!

Still, this book did contribute to my modern-day love of Shakespeare's works, something that I will always be grateful for. You can't really count yourself a great reader (in my eyes anyway) if you don't find yourself with an affinity for some of the prose and verse that this man (or whatever, conspiracies aside, for this review) had used/inven
Julie Pederson
Sep 02, 2016 Julie Pederson rated it it was amazing
This vivid re-telling of Shakespeare's plays is full of descriptive language. It hits on the crucial points of the various stories and includes important dialog. Very enjoyable to read for an adult who isn't up for a re-read of all those plays we read in high school! (or those we never got to but should have). Children would enjoy it to and I think it would be helpful to read before the plays so as to get the gist of the story.
dale paul
Jul 12, 2007 dale paul added it
Recommends it for: A beginner
This book aids in one's first attempt at tilling the garden that is the mind for the arduous task of planting Shakespeare in the brain. The plays are broken down into detailed summaries that would make great bedtimes stories for young ones, save a few. It doesn't have all the plays, but most of the good ones. It does include snip-its from Shakespear's pen which is a plus.
Suzanne Vincent
Feb 02, 2011 Suzanne Vincent rated it it was amazing
This book and it's companion volume II are an excellent way to introduce young readers to Shakespeare. Read-alouds for 2 through 5 graders, and read-alones for 6th through 9th, they are well-written, include numerous direct quotes from the plays, follow the storylines faithfully, and are punctuated with some beautiful ink and watercolor illustrations.
Gwennie
Apr 11, 2007 Gwennie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
I bought this book with my allowance when I was in 6th grade...adn I still love it to this day. These are faithful retellings of Shakespeare's plays in story form...and they include much of the beautiful language. Reading these helped me learn to love the plays as I got older.
Leah
Oct 27, 2007 Leah rated it it was amazing
This book was my first introduction to Shakespeare. My dad read the stories to me when I was little. I love the illustrations.
Kathleen
Jul 02, 2013 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Starting with King Lear, my daughter's gruesome choice. She's a rapt audience so far.
Tso William
Jun 11, 2015 Tso William rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, shakespeare
Read this book with my student. A serviceable introduction to Shakespeare's plays with some beautiful rhyming writing.
Xandie
Sep 07, 2012 Xandie rated it really liked it
Shelves: theatre
While this is not a collection of Shakespeare's plays, it is the basic stories that Shakespeare wrote. It is a good book to give to children in order to introduce them to Shakespeare.
Elise
Nov 02, 2010 Elise rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Read frequently by Constance. She likes it every much.
Marta
Jan 21, 2016 Marta rated it liked it
Great to catch up on all the plots. Not as exciting as the plays themselves though.
Holly
Jul 03, 2014 Holly rated it really liked it
Shakespeare Stories is perfect for introducing the Bard to readers who are uncomfortable or unfamiliar with reading in play format.
Concordian Library
29 Copies Available
2014-2015:

G7/8 Set
Anssi Klapuri
Anssi Klapuri rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2015
Tom Purdom
Tom Purdom rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
H.Arshadi
H.Arshadi rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2015
Shahzaib Khan
Shahzaib Khan rated it really liked it
May 14, 2015
Joy
Joy rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2011
Mohsen Rahmani
Mohsen Rahmani rated it it was ok
Dec 18, 2015
MinoMininni
MinoMininni rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Poye Lee
Poye Lee rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2016
chris trost
chris trost rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2014
1morechapter
1morechapter rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2009
Jennifer rated it liked it
May 28, 2016
Hamideh Iraj
Hamideh Iraj rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Romeo and Juliet for Kids
  • The Friendly Shakespeare: A Thoroughly Painless Guide to the Best of the Bard
  • Becoming Shakespeare: The Unlikely Afterlife That Turned a Provincial Playwright into the Bard
  • The Canterbury Tales (Puffin Classics)
  • Cleopatra
  • In Search of a Homeland: The Story of The Aeneid
  • The Handy History Answer Book
  • Wise Words
  • The King Without a Shadow
  • The Jacket
  • Short Story Masterpieces
  • The Boy's King Arthur: Sir Thomas Malory's History of King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table
  • The Biggest Story: How the Snake Crusher Brings Us Back to the Garden
  • Marco Polo
  • A Pair of Red Clogs
  • Beorn the Proud
  • City: A Story of Roman Planning and Construction
  • The Sea and the Mirror
Leon Garfield, the distinguished author of more than thirty books for children and adults, has won numerous literary awards and honors, including the Carnegie Medal. Before his death in 1996, he lived in London with his wife, author Vivien Alcock, and their daughter.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Gar...
More about Leon Garfield...