Start by marking “The Vampire's Photograph (Oliver Nocturne, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Vampire's Photograph (Oliver Nocturne, #1)

The Vampire's Photograph (Oliver Nocturne #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  507 ratings  ·  49 reviews
A compelling new take on contemporary fantasy & vampire stories with a new kind of hero, torn between dark and light, on a quest to discover the truth about his origins and his significance.

Oliver Nocturne has a fairly typical childhood - for a vampire. But Oliver is different from those around him - his gore-loving vampire schoolmates, his loving vampire parents, and
Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages
Published August 1st 2008 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Vampire's Photograph, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vampire's Photograph

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jaglvr for

Oliver Nocturne is a normal 13-year-old vampire. At least that's what he always thought. THE VAMPIRE'S PHOTOGRAPH is the first book in the OLIVER NOCTURNE series.

Early one evening, Oliver is awakened from his slumber. He hears a sound upstairs. Sneaking out of his coffin because his parents and brother are still asleep, he sneaks upstairs into the decrepit human house that sits above his vampire home. There he encounters a human girl around his age. She is
Wendy Hines
The first in a five book series, Kevin Emerson takes us into a world unlike any other.

In a small town in Ohio, there is a sub-division that is deserted and neglected. The houses are falling apart and are unsafe. Anyone who ventures into that part of the town usually doesn't linger long. Beneath the rubble and filth, in the lower parts of the houses, live vampire families. In fact, a few are upstanding citizens in the human community to make sure their sub-division isn't razed to the ground.

Well, I skimmed it. Not being a 10 year old boy, the vampire boy living in Seattle theme just didn't do it for me. But, if I were younger and into sci-fi/fantasy, I would love it.
The Vampire's Photograph is the first book in a series about Oliver Nocturne, a 13-year-old vampire. Oliver lives a fairly typical life; as a child vampire. He lives in a world where vampires exist with families and have their own rules, businesses and lives. Oliver feels he is different from those around him; he doesn’t have the same attitude towards humans (humans are walking blood banks and beneath them) as his family and schoolmates. When Emalie, a human girl with a troubled past, unwittingl ...more
La fotografía del vampiro es el primero de una serie de 5 títulos de corte juvenil titulada Oliver Nocturne.

La novela comienza con un enigmático prólogo en el que nos habla de una misteriosa Puerta con vida propia y de un más extraño personaje llamado Illisius. Una vez finalizada esa parte que me dejó alucinada porque crea muchas dudas y no se sabe a que viene, empecé la novela sin muchas ganas.
De primeras te metes en el papel de Oliver, un adolescente con problemas de sueño que está espiando a
Would NEVER have picked this one up. However, Harley managed to choose it at our last library visit and check it out before I saw it. I decided that maybe I ought to read it first. I'm only a few chapters in, but am pleasantly surprised at it's age-appropriateness. I think it may be a decent read after all.

Okay, so now that I've finished it, I have to admit that I rather enjoyed it. I think I was somewhat cynical coming into it with the surge of popular vampire literature, and wondering how simi
I've been on the prowl for tween (4th-8th grade) appropriate vampire tales to give the poor kids whose reading level or parents won't let them read Twilight and other read a likes. Oliver Nocturne fits the bill beautifully, which, of course, is what the sly Scholastic publishers had planned... However, with a flashy cover, quick action, and not too many pages, it's an easy sell to both boys and girl readers. There are a few awkward spots which could have used the editing Scholastic likely omitte ...more
If the YAs and older have Edward from Twilight, I dare say the younger age group can claim Oliver Nocturne for themselves. I can imagine that this story would stir a whole lot more of suspense and reaction from younger readers than from me as an adult. The story wasn't bad at all, and it was entertaining enough to make me read till the end and even made me buy the next in its series, the Sunlight Slayings. In this second book, Oliver has more depth and becomes a stronger character. His adventure ...more
Good book for librarians looking to supply the demand of the vampire craze but with a book that is appropriate for children. This story is probably best suited to kids 9-12. In this story 13-year-old (in human years) vampire Oliver Nocturne doesn't fit in amongst his vampire family and peers. He's always felt different, but when he comes across a human girl visiting his house during a sleepless afternoon, Oliver begins to realize his difference lies in being a little more human than other vampir ...more
Kristoffer Maron
Full of adventure a young reader would love.
Oliver Nocturne by Kevin Emerson is an amazing book. It's full of suspense, action, and all that good stuff. Oliver is a vamp who is having trouble with sleep. The story unfolds and he meets Emalie and Dean. They help him try to see a picture of himself. Near the end, Oliver's older brother, Bane, tricks Oliver into doing something awful. He soon meets his demon, Illuis, and rumor has it that he killed Dean. I really can't wait to read the 2nd and 3rd book!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is a great series for any young reader who wants to learn the behind the scenes of everday vampire life. Following Oliver, a 13 year old vampire, we learn about his eating habits, his school life, and how vampires live among us and we never know about it. Oliver feels different than other vampires and soon learns his family is keeping secrets from him about his destiny. A great book to show young readers who aren't ready for Twilight.
Book Bazaar
Very cool vampire series for younger audience than the Twilight novels. Great characters and the scenario is original - they live on blood and high sugar foods - blood soaked cake anyone? The whole vampire city underneath and parallell to the human world works well and a great cliff hanger is established. Highly recommended for the 9-14 crowd.
Jess - The Tales Compendium
I really enjoyed this book and am looking forward to going to work tomorrow and getting the next one (I am the childrens' book specialist at a bookstore)! I like the fact that there is a bit of scandal and mystery and that it doesn't sugar-coat vampires too much. It is for ages 9+ and good for fans of the Goosebump books.
I was excited about a vampire book for younger readers. I like the main character, Oliver. I was intrigued by the premise of the gate and multiple worlds and vampires with demons. But there was too much left unexplained and unresolved. I enjoyed reading it but was disappointed in the end.
Oliver is a thirteen year old vampire who befriends two humans after they take his picture. Oliver doesn't seem to fit in very well with the other vampires and is confused why he received special treatment by his parents. Some of his questions are answered but other mysteries appear along the way.
Awesome Fantasy book...I do reccomend it for Fantasy lovers
this book has to do wit how Vampires and Humans feel about each
other.But you may get tire once ur in the middle of the book,but dont stop
get to the end its very exiting.
Book Can be found in Ms.Lacy's library at Ms.324
Zahra HD
The book is Really detailed and I love how it captures its surrounding's. The characters are very interesting. The ending where Dean dies is scary and mysterious because it seems Oliver killed him and Emalie is blaming him even though Oliver doesn't remember biting Dean.
Aleeza Batara
This book is about a boy who is trying to find and is trying to solve something. But I recommend this book to people ho likes adventure, vampires and also a lot of fantasy. So start reading, if you don't have thins book, you can borrow it from me!
Apr 09, 2010 Bonita rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ages 7-10
it's okay. not really my choice of a book because it's not very thick and it's kind of boring at certain parts. also, i'm not a vampire fan. but this book should be quite entertaining for vampire fans. i recommend this book to elementary school students.
Very enjoyable, although I found the ending DEEPLY unsatisfying, as did my 10-year-old, with whom I was reading it. I hope there's a catch - it *is* the first in a series, so at least there's a chance for that. Lots of unanswered questions...
Thanks to Kevin Emerson, I was able to read the greatest vampire series ever! Twilight can go into the crap pile, because no one can top KE's Oliver Nocturne! Fast paced, action packed, if you like vampires and good plot lines, this ones for you!
This book is good for, say, nine and up and was pretty well thought up. Older kids would still probably like it. The author was at a bookstore I went to, so I decided to buy it and try it out. The end was a cliffhanger.
Oliver is a vampire. He is not like the other Vampire's, but he is not sure why. Oliver accidently befriends a human, and things spin out of control.

Super Fun Page turner for boys and girls grades 4 and up.
Young reader book--story is set in Seattle, which is the reason I picked it up, but somehow the whole thing lacked something--Oliver wasn't a very interesting character, and Seattle didn't work either.
Juliana R.
This is the first one in the series. I would recommend the next on e in the series, but you need to read this one first to understand the book better. This book is still great!
Just started this, but I love how can I not love it!
I really liked this book. It is a different take on vamps, and I am excited to read the next ones!
What's The Name o...: Book series about a teenage vampire boy [s] 5 29 Oct 01, 2014 08:54PM
  • Alyxandra Harvey Collection (Drake Chronicles, #1-3; Haunting Violet, #1)
  • Do-Over
  • Fang of the Vampire (Scream Street, #1)
  • Dark Moon (Wereling, #2)
  • Pemba's Song: A Ghost Story
  • Birth of the Pack (Weregirls, #1)
  • Vampire Kisses - Blood Relatives: Complete Edition
  • The World of Alice (Alice, #1-4)
  • Summer (Witch Season, #1)
  • Emily The Strange: This Cover Got Lost (Dark Horse Comics Series 1, Issue #2 - The Lost Issue(s))
  • Bitten (Dangerous Girls, #1-2)
  • The Resisters (The Resisters, #1)
  • The Reckoning (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #3)
  • My Rotten Life (Nathan Abercrombie, Accidental Zombie, #1)
  • Under the Green Hill
  • Shelter (Blood Haze, #1)
  • Quest for the Secret Keeper (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #3)
Author of the EXILE series, THE ATLANTEANS series, THE FELLOWSHIP FOR ALIEN DETECTION, the OLIVER NOCTURNE series and CARLOS IS GONNA GET IT. Musician in THE BOARD OF EDUCATION. Former K-8 science teacher, currently teaching with Richard Hugo House and Writers in the Schools. Originally from Cheshire, CT, now living in Seattle, by way of Boston.
More about Kevin Emerson...

Oliver Nocturne (6 books)
  • The Sunlight Slayings (Oliver Nocturne, #2)
  • Blood Ties (Oliver Nocturne, #3)
  • The Demon Hunter (Oliver Nocturne, #4)
  • The Eternal Tomb (Oliver Nocturne, #5)
  • The Triad of Finity (Oliver Nocturne, #6)