You're Lucky You're Funny: How Life Becomes a Sitcom

You're Lucky You're Funny: How Life Becomes a Sitcom

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  175 ratings  ·  33 reviews
The creator and executive producer ofEverybody Loves Raymond, on how to make a sitcom classic and keep laughing This laugh-out-loud memoir takes readers backstage and inside the writers’ room of one of America’s best-loved shows. With more than 17 million viewers and more than seventy Emmy nominations—including two wins for best comedy—Everybody Loves Raymondreigned suprem...more
Published September 25th 2007 by Plume (first published October 19th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about You're Lucky You're Funny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You're Lucky You're Funny

Andrea
Admittedly my typical response to "Everybody Loves Raymond" is sighing "not everybody" as I change the channel. I got this mp3 on the cheap and was just hoping to have a few laughs amid what was sure to be a name-dropping, big-shot-Hollywood memoir, filled with crazy party stories.

I got my laughs. And tears. And some touching family stories, sentimental moments, and invaluable advice that extends well outside of television. There was only one "big-shot-Hollywood" story where Rosenthal uses a per...more
Matt Nix
A fun read, and interesting if you're into TV writing.
Simon Lipson
Interesting stuff about Rosenthal's serendipitous journey, from nice Jewish middle-class New York potz (putz, for my American friends) to creator/showrunner of Raymond. A proper schlemiel who wanted to be an actor, he worked in a variety of crappy jobs while auditioning, performing in blink-and-you'd-miss-'em productions and, mainly, waiting for his opportunity. He discovered his real knack was for writing comedy when re-writing a part in a largely extemporised piece (for which someone else took...more
Leah Wescott
While I'm not a rabid fan of Everybody Loves Raymond, I'd never seen an episode I didn't enjoy and I was intrigued by the notion of learning about the behind-the-scenes leadership of the healthy creative writing environment. I'm thrilled I gave it a try. Phil Rosenthal is a smart, self-deprecating, hilarious, generous writer who broke Hollywood's standards by eschewing egos, focus groups and bureaucracy to see if valuing human connections and high quality writing might just work in something oth...more
Sonia Reppe
Oct 06, 2007 Sonia Reppe rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody Loves Raymond Fans
Everybody Loves A Funny Memoir

As a kid, Phil Rosenthal loved television with a passion. He learned how to turn that passion into creativity, and to make that creativity his way of earning a living. He is one of the best writers alive today, because he knows how to find the funny (as he says, "almost anyone's life can be turned into fuel for comedy); but also how to impart good themes and a value system at the same time: kindness, loyalty, forgiveness, love your family, enjoy your life.

Jocks use...more
Debra Fordham
Loved this audiobook! Phil reads it himself and even includes audio sound bites from various speeches he's given. Felt very personal and chatty. And Phil is HILARIOUS. Really knows how to tell a story. And his story really is "regular guy makes good". Inspiring that for once, a nice guy finished first -- since that really never happens much in Hollywood. My only question regarding this book is whether or not it would be interesting to anyone who either isn't a fan of "Everybody Loves Raymond" or...more
Elizabeth Jenks
ok. i just want to start by thanking phil rosenthal and his crew for Everybody Loves Raymond. so many wonderful laughs. days without network tv were never dull when filled with Raymond on DVD. it seems like it never gets old. that being said, i expected this book to mak me double over in laughter, just as the show did. well, as you might imagine, the book is about all the hard work that made that amazing comedy possible. the book is only funny when it mentions a well-known show bit. even so, it...more
Lori
I was a big fan of the show "Everybody Loves Raymond," so this was fun to read. The book is a memoir of the creator of the show. The creation of the sitcom was a part of the book. He tells how they found the cast and how the premise for the show was based on his and Ray's real families. Things that happened in their lives with their wives and kids would end up on the show. I liked his attention to details and how they tried to make the characters as real as possible.
If you are interested in come...more
April Burk Clark
I really enjoyed this audiobook. The author/narrator was warm, funny, anecdotal... I hadn't seen many episodes of "Everybody Loves Raymond" and I didn't need to in order to enjoy this behind-the-scenes look at the making of a popular sitcom. Now that I finished the book, I watched the first two episodes on Netflix and felt like an insider, knowing how some of the lines came about. I recommend this book if you have any interest at all in the entertainment business.
Justin
I am an spiring comedy wiriter, so I found this book to be pretty inspiring as well as cautionary. If the "suits" in the business are as back biting and deplorable as Rosenthal paints them, I may have to remember to, "be careful what I wish for".

Anway, this is a breezy, fun read and loaded with a lot of funny anectdotes. Anyone interested in "the business" or a fan of the show should check this out.
Paul French
A great look behind the scenes of a hit sitcom. Phil Rosenthal is known for running one of the best writers' rooms in recent years. He was insistent that his writers worked regular hours because how could they write about real life if they weren't actually living it? It's a funny book, no matter how you feel about the show itself.
Megankellie
Feb 04, 2008 Megankellie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: writer!
A good peek into putting together a shew and someone with opinions about tv that you'll like. Also, a good description of getting an acting career "just struggle for 10 years, be a writer for 5, make a hit sitcom, write that for 9 years, finally do a movie" That is a crap paraphrase.
Mike
This is an autobiography and how-I-did-it book by the creator of "Everyone Loves Raymond." It's a fun, easy read if you're OK with his ba-dum-bum, Borscht Belt writing style. I enjoyed it because I'm a fan of the show and it had a lot of interesting behind-the-scenes TV-business stuff.
Jennywhoa
This book is HILARIOUS. I mean, I laughed out loud numerous times. I am a huge fan of Everybody Loves Raymond but this book is a must read for anyone wanting to become a writer/producer of sitcoms/television. A MUST read! Great book, quick read. I enjoyed myself thoroughly.
Janet
Much better than I expected. I actually learned some life lessons from this book, and plan to reread it.
Cathy
Great book from the exec director of "Everybody Loves Raymond". I loved watching his path from kid who got by be funny and loved to watch sitcoms to one who created one of the best. Esp loved all the insight into what makes good comic writing and good quality tv.
Scott Smith
For my media class this week we are focusing on Everybody Loves Raymond. This is a nice little book by the shows creator about his funny life and how the show came into being. It is pretty funny, and also some interesting insights into the world of US media.
Africableu
Funny, interesting, neat "behind-the-scenes" book. The author is a hoot, of course, and reading the book made me want to rent the EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND DVDs to see the episodes mentioned in the book.
Tony
The man behind one of the funniest sitcoms of all time - Everybody Loves Raymond - shares his life story that inspired different elements of the show.
Rachel
Extremely entertaining and delightful. It was a lot of fun to learn where the stories for Everybody Loves Raymond came from. Wonderful.
Elizabeth Karr
I loved this book! It's funny with a lot of heart. Good read with insights on collaborating on a TV sitcom (Everybody Loves Raymond).
Martha
funny background info on the creation of EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND. Quick read, lots of fun facts, great for fans of the series.
Bob
I listened to the audio book narrated by the author. Very funny. It's not fair that one guy has had so many great experiences.
Jessica
This was a really interesting look into how a show is made. Didn't realize exactly what I was getting into - but I liked it.
John
The Audio book is the best way to consume this book. Wonderful insight into writing comedy. Read by the author.
Justin
Great book! Fun to read. Loved learning the backstory on some of my favorite episodes of Everybody Loves Raymond.
Stitchywoman
Enjoyable light read. It brought back memories of all the "Raymond" episodes that were referenced.
Katie Christian
Extremely entertaining. I loved his story about filming "The Last Days" with President Clinton!
Debbie Carnahan-Nichols
Mar 21, 2010 Debbie Carnahan-Nichols rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hollywood writers, TV fans
Shelves: 2010-reads
An insider's account of "Everybody Loves Raymond," from casting to writing for 9 years.
Joseph
Loved, loved, loved this one.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Television writer and producer who is best known as the creator, writer and executive producer for the sitcom Everybody Loves Raymond.
More about Phil Rosenthal...
This Land Is Your Land: Favorite American Folk Songs Animal Songs Roll Call At The Alamo Everybody Loves Raymond: Our Family Album