Start by marking “Beyond the Highland Mist (Highlander, #1)” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Highland Mist (Highlander, #1)

Beyond the Highland Mist (Highlander #1)

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  54,582 Ratings  ·  2,559 Reviews
An alluring laird

He was known throughout the kingdom as Hawk, legendary predator of the battlefield and the boudoir. No woman could refuse his touch, but no woman ever stirred his heart - until a vengeful fairy tumbled Adrienne de Simone out of modern-day Seattle and into medieval Scotland. Captive in a century not her own, entirely too bold, too outspoken, she was an irre
Audio CD, 9 pages
Published July 20th 2007 by Brilliance Audio (first published March 9th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Highland Mist, please sign up.

Lucinda Not even near the quality of writing, story line and character development that Outlander has.. Not even in the same ballpark.
Jen You don't have to read the first 2 to read the next 4 but it helps build some of the characters.

Navessa
Oct 23, 2014 Navessa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: highlanders
It's time to admit defeat. I can't do this. Here's a meme explaining why:

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Beyond the Highland Mist is my first read by this author, and not a bad start to the Highland series, though only loosely tied to it.

Those who know me know that I suffer from a sometimes debilitating disorder known as MRBIOs, Must Read Books In Order syndrome. It’s important that you understand this about me because I’m about make a shocking statement, here: In order to enjoy this series, it isn’t necessary to read the first book. Yes, I really did say that, and no, I’m not on medication. Just
Emily May

I'm having mixed feelings about this one as a whole but I would just like to say that my 3.5 star rating is, in this case, a rather positive one. I actually enjoyed reading the majority of this novel and I also wouldn't mind checking out Moning's other Highland novels as I've heard this is the least popular of the series. It suffered somewhat from the inevitable comparisons that I simply had to make to the Fever series, it was nothing like those and I'm starting to believe nothing ever
Lisa Jayne
Feb 27, 2014 Lisa Jayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FOUR HIGHLAND STARS.

description

It was about time for me to read this new-to-me author. I wanted epic love, a toe curling romance, and a love that would sweep me off my feet and this book delivered. Moning provided me with the perfect escape and I couldn't have wished for more. An utterly dreamy start to a series that I know I'm going to fall in love with.

... Book two here I come.

description

*Buddy read with the bezzie ...*
Loederkoningin
What will be your reason for picking this one up?

If it's anything like: “Mmm, I really like KMM’s Fever series...Mac 3.0 was alright and Mac 4.0 kicked some ass. And Barrons..oh Barrons! That hot, carnal, cantankerous badass... So why not try KMM's other series?” Well, let's say you're in for a surprise. Beyond the Highland Mist is nothing like the Fever series. Evidence to substantiate this bold statement you ask? How about this?

"The thing about the room that struck her so hard was that it see
Blacky *Romance Addict*

What a difference an audiobook makes...
And especially one with a fantastic narrator!!!
Let's just say that from my original 2 star rating I jumped to 4 stars in my reread with audiobook. Phil Gigante makes everything interesting, the first half was absolutely amazing and I would've given it 5 stars if the main woman wasn't such a moron, but oh well it can't be perfect.

Anyway, all I have to say for the readers: Grab the audiobooks of this series!!! You won't regret it!

First review:

This is quit
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
Jan 13, 2014 Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of PNR, Historical Romance, Alpha males, sexy brogues, and fairies.

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Beyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie Moning was the first paranormal romance I ever read.

10+ years ago the only books I’d read that could even remotely be compared to PNR or UF were Anne Rice books (and if any of you have read Anne Rice books, you know that they are so not the same). I don’t think I even picked up my first modern (not Narnia or LOTR) fantasy until my freshman year of college (The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan).

I’m sure that all the Vivian
♥Rachel♥
2.5 Stars

I adore the Fever series, so I thought I'd have success with Beyond the Highland Mist. No so much. I adored Hawk, but for a lot of the story I was completely frustrated with Adrienne. So illogically stubborn and prejudice against "beautiful men". I know Adrienne was burned by a "beautiful man", but how can someone be so shortsighted to judge every good looking male for the sins of one?!

I think the story would've benefited by some editing down, as well.

As for the narration, Phil Gigant
Bark's Book Nonsense
Next up on the IPod.

This book has received many favorable reviews but this isn’t going to be one of them. I feel like the Goodreads grouch but as I was listening to this on audio my overriding thought was, “when the hell is it going to end?” It seemed to plod on and on and if I heard the heroine exclaim “I HATE BEAUTIFUL MEN!” once more whilst drooling over two pretty men I was certain I was going lose the last thread of sanity that’s holding me together.

I’m not going to waste your time (and mi
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
I read this over two years ago and never wrote a proper review for it. I've never been a romance fan so this didn't go very well for me. My friend Kate did enjoy the book so you should check out her review , it might convince you to give this a try!

Spread the love people, we all deserve to be famous!

Awesome badge courtesy of awesome Kat!

************
Original review (November 2012):
This is not the type of book I usually read but once in a while I feel like a change and try a something different.
Brigid
Dec 29, 2014 Brigid rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Looks at her notes. Looks at all her friends reading good books. Feels embarrassed for reading this.

Takes a deep breath.

I hate highlander romances!

Historical inaccuracy regarding kilts and language, forced seduction, territorial disputes that don't involve geography, unexplainable time travel, TSTL heroines, lairds who have balls the size of an elephant, and smoochy talk that would make Barry White ashamed.

I couldn't even get on board with Outlander. It's like it was created to repel me personal
Kristen
2 1/2 to 3 stars

I'm glad I read this series out of order (these books can be read out of order). I'm honestly not sure if would have continued the series had I read the first three books in the series first. Personally, I don't think the series was particularly engrossing until after the third book. Books four, five, and six are my favorite, with book six, The Immortal Highlander, my favorite of the series. You must, however, read books four, five, six, and seven in order.

I recommend reading th
♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness

Beyond the Highland Mist - First of all I have read this series out of order, intentionally. I was told by a dozen fellow reviewers that the first three in this series were pretty flat. So I read 4-7 and FREAKING LOVED THEM, but then my gal pal, Nissie and I decided that we should pay the first three in the series homage. After reading the first one, I’m going to have to swing my vote in favour of this one not being anywhere near as good as books 4-7. The only compensation being that I got a chu
Maria Clara
Tengo que reconocer que me ha decepcionado un poco este inicio de saga. No sé, esperaba algo más...
Not Now...Mommy's Reading
I love historical romances - especially those featuring pirates, knights, and highlanders - so I was excited to discover Karen Marie Moning's "Highlander" series. "Beyond the Highland Mist" is the first in the series and I am so glad I picked this book up!

Sixteenth Century - Sidheach (Sid-hawk) James Lyon Douglas is known as Hawk, legendary lover to countless women. His sensuality just oozes off the pages. He is well-aware of the hold his beauty and his sexuality holds over the women who are lu
ɴΘεɱí
Nov 27, 2016 ɴΘεɱí rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pues me ha gustado muchísimo...
Ha tenido momentos de mucha tensión de la buena (como momento café entre Hawk y Ari ) y momentos de muchas risas. No se me ha hecho una lectura pesada y ya se ha visto que tiene relación con la otra serie Fever. Pues seguiré leyendo esta serie.
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness
★★★★★5 Love&magic stars★★★★★
Bedevil the devil and devil be dammed. I fear no devil and bow to no man.

This book was truly an absolute delight ! Passion & seduction,love & magic,secrets & mystery;This book truly had it all !Beyond the Highland Mist was like an unexpectedly tasty morsel ,I just had to finish at one go!Which I so promptly did ;)

I know with all that exclamatory marks,I'm probably coming across a bit unhinged and bouncy,(Is that even a word?) right now but I promise yo
Kitty (I solemnly swear that I am up to no good)
Fans of Mac and Barrons STAY AWAY from this offensive pile of dung.

This is the fantasy story of the beautiful, man hating (but not really, do not read this is you have any pro feminist views at all) orphan 'Adrienne De Simone' who travels back in time and right onto the lap of a violent laird, all because of the jealousy of the fairy queen's lover.

This is actually convenient for both the creepy old laird and Adrienne; for him because he just inexplicably killed his mad daughter right before she
Erin
Mar 03, 2013 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Beyond the Highland Mist" is the first book in Karen Marie Moning's "Highlander series." Stubborn and lusty Scottish warriors have been a literary delight of mine since I first read Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series when I was 19. While I would say that each series is in a class separate from one another, both have been quite enjoyable reads for me.

The plot here is nothing new in the romance novel genre world. The male protagonist, Hawk is a Scottish warrior and laird of the Douglas clan. Women
Limonessa
May 08, 2011 Limonessa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: with-smut, fantasy
What did I think? I thought thank god I read the Fever series before this or I would have never picked it up and would have mocked anyone who recommended it to me.
There isn't much to say about this book except the fact that this is not the Karen Marie Moning I am used to. Yet, some things have actually acquired a certain clarity; she is certainly a veteran in writing hot steamy sex scenes and the Highlander series has been, for all intents and purposes, her training camp, leading to the Fever s
Lucia
I don't know what I expected when I started this novel but at the end, it did not work for me at all. Writing was rushed and chaotic, it didn't sit well with me. I really had troubles concentrating on the story and I had hard time connecting with characters.

Moreover, the way others talked about "hero" made my eyes roll quite often.

"His manhood at half-mast would make a stallion envious."

And I just couldn't take story seriously when similar phrases were lurking at me here and there while readin
Sophia Triad
What a sweet romantic book and what a great author Moning is!

In the kingdom of Fae, the King and the Queen with the help of the Fool are playing with the lives of two young people Hawk and Adrienne.

From the 20th century and New Orlean, Adrienne teleports to the 16th century and Scotland. There, she is forced to marry Hawk, a womeniser who does not really want to marry her. Hawk and Adrienne eventually fall in love.

My favourite scene was when Hawk was trying to seduce his wife in the falcons st
DarienMoya
Apr 10, 2010 DarienMoya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads
^^MYSTIFYINGLY GOOD!^^

Beyond the Highland Mist is the first book in Moning’s Highlander series. A tale of when men were men, all brawn and brains, where the fey lurked about and caused confusion. Where men wore kilts and you would die just to get some wind to blow up those suckers. When a Sixteenth century warrior meets Twentieth century woman, things will never be the same again.

Adrienne de Simone is sick and tired of beautiful men. She knows hands down behind the face of an angel is the heart
Tatiana
Feeling quite hungry for some more KMM smut after reading "Burned," I decided to give this series a go.

Ugh, it's a debut and pretty poorly written at that. Some seeds of Fever goodness ahead, occasional decent dialog, but overall I wish KMM plotted this one better and avoided the whole lust-at-first-sight nonsense.

But I think I will try another, later installment in this series. They seem to get better ratings.
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
3.5/5 stars

Thanks Rhonda for this book! Xo

Hawk is the perfect man, the epitome of male beauty. Legions of females fight for their one chance to be with the legendary Hawk, but Adrienne de Simone isn’t one of them. It isn’t the fact that she comes from the twentieth century. Or the fact that she doesn’t notice Hawk’s stunning good looks. It’s the fact that Adrienne just hates beautiful men.

And doesn’t that just suck for Hawk?

I just love it when the shameless manwhore finally falls for someone wh
María Ángeles
Es un cuento enorme que transcurre en tres tiempos distintos: en 1513, en 1990 y en el tiempo en que no hay tiempo en el reino de las hadas. Por ser tres escenarios tan diferenciados, al principio encontré dificultad en la lectura: no me acostumbraba a la forma distinta de hablar de los personajes. Pero con el avance de la lectura, terminas acostumbrándote.
La autora, Karen Marie Moning, cita varias veces a Shakespeare a lo largo del libro {al principio, entre capítulos} y lo cierto es que toda e
Laura the Highland Hussy
This is one of my favorite series of all time, I just love KMM and her hot Highlanders!
I loved Adrienne and I thought she handled the whole being tossed back in time a few centuries pretty well. Hawk really made me mad, and I thought that the whole "seeling" her to him like his falcons was a bit much. I liked the way the two of them were together after they finally had sex.
I loved Adam Black, oh my gosh did I love him! A hot sweaty blacksmith in nothing but a kilt? mm-mm Too bad his book isn't
AH
There's about 6 months left to wait until the next installment of the Fever series comes out. So, I thought to myself, why not read Karen Moning's Highlander series. I had heard that the first book was not that great and that I could just skip to the third book. I am so glad that I didn't because I had a lot of fun reading Beyond the Highland Mist.

Beyond the Highland Mist has all the elements of a fun summer read:

(1) The hero is a "perfect" man. His "endowments" are legendary and well described,
Jessica Gadziala
Dec 20, 2016 Jessica Gadziala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I wanted to love this so badly. Hawk just wasn't a likable hero for me and I didn't particularly care for the heroine either. STILL, the writing was, as always with Miss Moning, incredible. So for that alone, it gets four stars.
Ally
Mar 15, 2016 Ally rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF - this book aggravated the he!! out of me.
  • Thirty Nights with a Highland Husband (Daughters of the Glen, #1)
  • The Ranger (Highland Guard, #3)
  • Dark Victory (Masters of Time, #4)
  • Awaken the Highland Warrior (Connor Clan, #1)
  • Ravished by a Highlander (Children of the Mist, #1)
  • Master of Desire (Brotherhood of the Sword #1)
  • Highland Destiny (Magic of the Highlands, #1)
  • Charming the Highlander (Highlander, #1)
“The only other calling I ever felt was an irrepressible desire to be Captain of my own Starship. I was born in the wrong century and it wasn’t possible, so I chose to explore the universe by writing fiction instead. Books are doors to endless adventure.” -KMM

Karen Marie Moning is the #1 NYT bestselling author of the Fever Series and Highlander novels.

An alum of the Immaculate Conception Academy,
More about Karen Marie Moning...

Highlander (8 books)
  • To Tame A Highland Warrior (Highlander, #2)
  • The Highlander's Touch (Highlander, #3)
  • Kiss of the Highlander (Highlander, #4)
  • The Dark Highlander (Highlander, #5)
  • The Immortal Highlander (Highlander, #6)
  • Spell of the Highlander (Highlander, #7)
  • Into the Dreaming (Highlander, #8)

“Bedevil the devil and devil be dammed. I fear no devil and bow to no man.

- Adam Black”
81 likes
“Valhalla on the right. Paradise regained on the left. Stuck between a Godiva truffle and a chocolate eclair. Between a rock and a very hard place. Two very hard places from the looks of it.” 59 likes