Start by marking “Ivy and Bean: Bound to be Bad (Ivy and Bean, #5)” as Want to Read:
Ivy and Bean: Bound to be Bad (Ivy and Bean, #5)

Ivy and Bean: Bound to be Bad (Ivy & Bean #5)

4.13  ·  Rating Details ·  1,985 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
The adventures of Ivy and Bean continue in the latest installment from series creators Annie Barrows and Sophie Blackall. In Ivy and Bean Bound to Be Bad the two girls decide to be so good and kind and pure of thought that wild animals will befriend them. When this doesn't work, they decide that perhaps a little badness can be good.
Published September 1st 2008 by Chronicle Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Ivy and Bean, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ivy and Bean

Dog Days by Jeff KinneyDiary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyRodrick Rules by Jeff KinneyThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart
People who love books
13th out of 35 books — 9 voters
Romeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareFlora and Ulysses by Kate DiCamilloBeezus and Ramona by Beverly ClearyEleanor & Park by Rainbow RowellArabel and Mortimer by Joan Aiken
Name and Name
20th out of 93 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Irene
Feb 19, 2013 Irene rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
This book was surprisingly... boring. Other books that I've read in this series all have a solid plot to drive the story along, but this one just seemed lacking.

Ivy was on a mission to be "pure of heart" in order to attract wild animals who would love her for her goodness. It seemed to me that Ivy's inspiration came from having seen a picture of St. Francis of Assisi, and it would have been nice if the book had mentioned him by name, like how Book 3 mentioned Mary Anning by name. Anyway, Ivy dec
Carmen
Apr 28, 2015 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents; kids
This is book 5 of Ivy and Bean, and it was HILARIOUS! I was laughing and laughing.

The title's a pun: Of course, Ivy and Bean are bound to be bad (as in acting out), but in this book they also end up tied up (literally) as a result of their bad behavior.

Bean is a wild little girl who plays jokes on people, has a smart mouth, and loves playing outside and getting dirty. Ivy wears dresses, reads tons of books, and is very soft-spoken. They are best friends and have many adventures together.

Bean is
Bookslut
Jul 31, 2013 Bookslut rated it it was ok
Shelves: gillie, iris
Too naughty. My oldest daughter suggested we read something else (ie: not Ivy and Bean #6) midway through this book. We did vastly enjoy the quiz at the end.
Shell
Jan 01, 2013 Shell rated it really liked it
Since our granddaughters enjoyed this delightful series so much, I decided to read the books also. Many of Ivy's and Beans's characteristics remind me of our fun granddaughters.
Alfreda Morrissey
Apr 17, 2014 Alfreda Morrissey rated it really liked it
This was the best Ivy & Bean since the first one. Both my 5 & 7 year old loved it. My 7 year old, who usually has an aversion to chapter books, even asked to have more read over a picture book.

They really loved the concept of kids acting badly on purpose. It was not laugh out loud funny, but I could see they took a gleeful pleasure in the events as Bean tried to be increasingly bad.

As a mother, I liked how the stuff they did was never really all that bad, no matter how hard they tried.
NS- Sarah
Nov 15, 2009 NS- Sarah rated it really liked it
I had never heard of this series but I have to say that I think it is precious. The Ivy and Bean books are small in size, chapter books for younger readers, include some pictures and are fun while maintaining realism. I think 2-5 grade girls would have fun reading the Ivy and Bean series. I found the fifth book so it would have been nice to have already read the previous four but nonetheless I was entertained by "Bound to be Bad." Bean is sort of the "bad" girl and Ivy is known to always be good ...more
Dolly
Jun 25, 2015 Dolly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
Shelves: childrens, humor, 2015
This is the fifth book in the Ivy + Bean series by Annie Barrows. We've listened to a couple of books in the series on audio CD, but we just never really got into them.

I know for sure that I don't like some of the things that the girls do and I would highly discourage our girls from copying them. I really dislike how Bean and her sister treat each other. And while the relationships between the children in the neighborhood seem sincere, it's not exactly model behavior.

We owned this book, but I do
Courtney Umlauf
Unlikely friends, Ivy and Bean, are attempting to become so "pure of heart" that animals will befriend them due to their innate goodness. Ivy gets the idea after seeing a picture of a man (apparently St Francis of Assisi, though he's never named) who did just the same thing. When goodness doesn't work, the girls think perhaps a dramatic reform from badness will do the trick.

See my review of the series as a whole here.

**For basic reading comprehension questions for this book, check out my Teacher
Georgina
May 25, 2012 Georgina rated it it was amazing
i read this book in two days. you know what i didnt like i didnt like crummy matt.
i really liked when bean made a volcano out of dirt at sophie's house. nothing else. this is my favorite ivy and bean book that i have read so far.
Donald
Apr 22, 2013 Donald rated it it was ok
Like I have said about the other four books, I'm not a big fan, but my daughter is! This one is rough for my parenting style - kids being bad on purpose. Geez. I want to put the kibosh on #6, but I guess you have to pick your battles...
Leta Blake
Apr 07, 2013 Leta Blake rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Kid and I rolled laughing!
Kathleen Dixon
Oct 21, 2016 Kathleen Dixon rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
The grandchildren were really intrigued by the cover - there they are, Ivy and Bean, tied together to a tree! "What happens?!" they exclaimed. "I don't know," I replied. "We'll have to read it to find out!"

The kids love this series and I enjoy reading each book to them. The girls are a delightful mixture of naughty and nice, just like real kids. There is no gender stereotyping (and don't let me get onto my soapbox over so many of today's books and toys!). The occasional glimpses of the parents h
Lana Jackson
Nov 25, 2016 Lana Jackson rated it it was amazing
Ivy and Bean are best friends. Bean seems to get into trouble without trying, so she decides to be "bad" on purpose, while the neighborhood children watch. Ivy trys to help.

This is well written and a fun read.
Emmi
Oct 11, 2016 Emmi rated it it was amazing
Although i do not remember a lot of this book, i can say that it was a good story.
Jade
Jan 27, 2016 Jade rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ivy and Bean: Bound to be Bad is a charming book for young children, that is both playful and funny. It is about the character Bean, a little troublemaker who aids her friend Ivy in her quest to be good. Along the way, they discover that being bad might pave the way to being good. From stealing candy to dousing Crummy Matt's younger brother with water, they unintentionally spread chaos throughout the neighborhood until Crummy Matt shows up to avenge his little bro.
It's the small moments in this
Ashley
Dec 03, 2015 Ashley rated it liked it
Title / Author / Publication Date:
Ivy and Bean: Bound to be Bad / Barrows, Annie. Blackall, Sophie. (ill.) / 2008

Genre: Early chapter books, Fiction

Format: Book – print. 128 pages.

Plot summary:
Best friends Ivy and Bean are trying to be like a man that Ivy heard about that is so “pure of heart” that birds and animals followed him everywhere. When thinking nice doesn’t seem to work, the two of them decide that Bean will be as bad as she can be and Ivy will reform her.

Review citation:
Ivy and Bean B
Michelle
Dec 16, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it
The main character name was bean and her best friend name was Ivy. They were a good friend. One day Bean found Ivy stood on the grass and motionless. And when Bean asked her that " what are you doing?" And Ivy's answer was I want to be friend with animals. And If I stand still then birds, fox and other animals will come together. And Bean followed.
In that village there was a bad big mean boy everyone afraid of him. But, one day bean and Ivy talked to the boy. He made Ivy and bean looked terribl
Christina
Oct 08, 2009 Christina rated it really liked it
This was a delightful little book! I was surprised at how witty and cheeky it was. It is part of a series of Ivy and Bean books written by Annie Barrows, niece of and collaborator with Mary Ann Shaffer (of Guernsey Literary Society fame). I checked it out in an attempt to get a well-rounded look at the authors. My 6-year-old particularly found it hilarious, but the humor was sophisticated enough to draw me in as well. Definitely best for the 1st to 3rd-grade set. We plan on reading more in the s ...more
Kara
Apr 07, 2014 Kara rated it it was amazing
This is the 5th book in the series Ivy and Bean.It is about two girls named Ivy and Bean who are best friends they both live on the street ''Pancake Court''.When Ivy and Bean want the animals to realize how ''good hearted '' they are they try to be nice and quiet.When this doesn't work Ivy has a suggestion to have Bean be bad and than change her into ''goodhearted''.So when Bean starts to be bad every one on the street joins in by, spiting in flowers,throwing shoes on people's roofs', and ...more
Books Kids Like
Sep 23, 2013 Books Kids Like rated it really liked it
Ivy stands outside with her arms up and thinks positive thoughts. She is trying to get birds to land on her arms, because if they do, it means that she has pure thoughts and a pure heart. Bean tries it too, but she definitely does not have enough patience. When the birds don't come, Ivy tries a different tactic. She has Bean do bad things, and, then, she rescues her and persuades her to reform. No birds. The "badness" becomes contagious and soon all the kids of Pancake Court are competing with ...more
Mellodi Parks
Jul 02, 2014 Mellodi Parks rated it it was amazing
Such a cute little children's series. I am enjoying it as an adult reader who was looking for something different to read. I've found through reading this series that I maybe did some of these things as a small child as well. I can picture each thing happening in the book as me. It is almost like reading a bit into my own memory lane. Off to go finish the rest of these! Give Ivy and Bean books a read, won't you?
Deaysia
Aug 06, 2012 Deaysia rated it it was amazing
I loved this book.It was very interesting.I recommend this book for people who are bored and they want to read a book that has somethings that people have done when they were bored.This is my review,Bean was bored on her front porch waiting for something exciting to happen.She heard Ivy playing in her backyard.Bean saw what she was doing but didn't understand it.She was standing still.Ivy turned around and explained what she was doing.If you want to know what she was doing read the book.
Shelli
Mar 05, 2011 Shelli rated it it was amazing
Hysterical! My daughter and I laughed till we cried. Ivy and Bean try to think good thoughts and be pure of heart so that animals will follow them all around; similar to Snow White. When that doesn't work they decide to just be bad really really bad then reform and the animals will love them for such drastic improvements. Love this series. Great books for young readers or to share with your children or students.

Marya
Nov 26, 2013 Marya rated it liked it
Shelves: children-series
This book could spark a discussion on what it means to be bad...or be bullied...or it could just be enjoyed as a fun little romp. There is plenty of room for interpretation, but it will be up to the adult to begin that discussion and fully engage the child.

Bonus points for Ivy's assessment of Snow White being stupid because everyone knows you don't accept gifts from strangers (and the conclusion that Snow White's helpful bird friends simply pitied the dumb broad). :)
Katie
Oh, Ivy, you are so weird. After hearing about how St. Francis (who is never named) would get animals to come to him, Ivy decides that she wants birds to land on her head & wolves to follow her around. The way to do it? Be pure & good of heart. But, man, that is difficult. Maybe she can get Bean to be bad & then reform her?
Sam Bloom
Feb 03, 2009 Sam Bloom rated it really liked it
I really can't say enough about these books. Ivy and Bean are just so much fun together as characters, and that's really a testament to not only Barrows' writing but Sophie Blackall's fantastic illustrations. Book 5 is, much like the first four, mostly devoid of plot, but it doesn't matter because the girls are so funny, lovable and real.
Eileen Lazala
Jun 05, 2013 Eileen Lazala rated it it was amazing
this book is a great book. ivy and bean think that everyone thinks they could be more perfect if they were nice. they try all these different thing to show there not bad there jest regular girl and there suger is to be a little bad.

after all that drama they decide there bound to be bad to have a little suger
Kimberly Ward
Jul 02, 2010 Kimberly Ward rated it really liked it
My 2nd-3rd grade girls will love this series. Ivy and Bean are such likable characters. In this book, Ivy and Bean decide that after learning about St. Francis, that they will be so good and pure that animals will follow them around. Well, for these two being good is easier said then done.
Debbie Tanner
Jun 09, 2012 Debbie Tanner rated it really liked it
This is a funny little story about trying to be good and trying to be bad. I loved the dichotomy of choosing to be bad rather than acting bad because you were mad. I think a lot of kids will identify with this one.
Rebecca
Jan 17, 2011 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
This book is thhe best! Ivy herd of this thing when if you be good you will have animals follow you weird right so bean said she will be bad so Ivy could tell her to be good than she would. And you have to read the book to see if it is right
  • The Talented Clementine (Clementine, #2)
  • The Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Treasure Hunt (Judy Moody & Stink, #2)
  • Lanie
  • Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy, Super Sleuth
  • Just Grace and the Terrible Tutu (Just Grace, #6)
  • I Hate Rules!
  • Stacey The Soccer Fairy (Sports Fairies, #2)
  • Princess (The Puppy Place)
  • Trill Changes Her Tune (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #22)
Annie grew up in Northern California, and graduated from the University of California at Berkeley, with a degree in Medieval History. Unable to find a job in the middle ages, she decided upon a career as an editor, eventually landing at Chronicle Books in San Francisco, where she was in charge of "all the books that nobody in their right mind would publish." After earning an M.F.A. in Creative ...more
More about Annie Barrows...

Ivy & Bean (10 books)
  • Ivy and Bean (Ivy and Bean, #1)
  • Ivy and Bean and the Ghost That Had to Go (Ivy and Bean, #2)
  • Ivy and Bean Break the Fossil Record (Ivy and Bean, #3)
  • Ivy and Bean Take Care of the Babysitter (Ivy and Bean, #4)
  • Ivy and Bean: Doomed to Dance (Ivy and Bean, #6)
  • Ivy and Bean: What's the Big Idea? (Ivy and Bean, #7)
  • Ivy and Bean: No News Is Good News (Ivy and Bean, #8)
  • Ivy and Bean Make the Rules (Ivy and Bean, #9)
  • Ivy and Bean Take the Case (Ivy and Bean, #10)