Ivy and Bean: Bound to be Bad (Ivy and Bean, #5)

Ivy and Bean: Bound to be Bad (Ivy & Bean #5)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  1,090 ratings  ·  75 reviews
The adventures of Ivy and Bean continue in the latest installment from series creators Annie Barrows and Sophie Blackall. In Ivy and Bean Bound to Be Bad the two girls decide to be so good and kind and pure of thought that wild animals will befriend them. When this doesn't work, they decide that perhaps a little badness can be good.
Published September 1st 2008 by Chronicle Books (first published January 1st 2008)

Cheryl in CC NV
I do want to get caught up with the rest of the series, but this was on the 'new' shelf at my library so I grabbed. Children really do understand good vs bad, but it's not always easy for them to apply that understanding in context with all their other motivations. Btw, I assume Ivy is emulating St. Francis of Assisi, but it would be nice if the book said so somewhere.
Carmen
May 11, 2014 Carmen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents; kids
Shelves: children, fiction
This is book 5 of Ivy and Bean, and it was HILARIOUS! I was laughing and laughing.

The title's a pun: Of course, Ivy and Bean are bound to be bad (as in acting out), but in this book they also end up tied up (literally) as a result of their bad behavior.

Bean is a wild little girl who plays jokes on people, has a smart mouth, and loves playing outside and getting dirty. Ivy wears dresses, reads tons of books, and is very soft-spoken. They are best friends and have many adventures together.

Bean is...more
Shell
Since our granddaughters enjoyed this delightful series so much, I decided to read the books also. Many of Ivy's and Beans's characteristics remind me of our fun granddaughters.
Alfreda Morrissey
This was the best Ivy & Bean since the first one. Both my 5 & 7 year old loved it. My 7 year old, who usually has an aversion to chapter books, even asked to have more read over a picture book.

They really loved the concept of kids acting badly on purpose. It was not laugh out loud funny, but I could see they took a gleeful pleasure in the events as Bean tried to be increasingly bad.

As a mother, I liked how the stuff they did was never really all that bad, no matter how hard they tried....more
Irene
This book was surprisingly... boring. Other books that I've read in this series all have a solid plot to drive the story along, but this one just seemed lacking.

Ivy was on a mission to be "pure of heart" in order to attract wild animals who would love her for her goodness. It seemed to me that Ivy's inspiration came from having seen a picture of St. Francis of Assisi, and it would have been nice if the book had mentioned him by name, like how Book 3 mentioned Mary Anning by name. Anyway, Ivy dec...more
NS- Sarah
I had never heard of this series but I have to say that I think it is precious. The Ivy and Bean books are small in size, chapter books for younger readers, include some pictures and are fun while maintaining realism. I think 2-5 grade girls would have fun reading the Ivy and Bean series. I found the fifth book so it would have been nice to have already read the previous four but nonetheless I was entertained by "Bound to be Bad." Bean is sort of the "bad" girl and Ivy is known to always be good...more
Donald
Like I have said about the other four books, I'm not a big fan, but my daughter is! This one is rough for my parenting style - kids being bad on purpose. Geez. I want to put the kibosh on #6, but I guess you have to pick your battles...
Georgina
i read this book in two days. you know what i didnt like i didnt like crummy matt.
i really liked when bean made a volcano out of dirt at sophie's house. nothing else. this is my favorite ivy and bean book that i have read so far.
Bookslut
Too naughty. My oldest daughter suggested we read something else (ie: not Ivy and Bean #6) midway through this book. We did vastly enjoy the quiz at the end.
Leta Blake
Loved it! Kid and I rolled laughing!
Michelle
The main character name was bean and her best friend name was Ivy. They were a good friend. One day Bean found Ivy stood on the grass and motionless. And when Bean asked her that " what are you doing?" And Ivy's answer was I want to be friend with animals. And If I stand still then birds, fox and other animals will come together. And Bean followed.
In that village there was a bad big mean boy everyone afraid of him. But, one day bean and Ivy talked to the boy. He made Ivy and bean looked terribl...more
Lisa Cindrich
Have really enjoyed the Ivy and Bean series so far and this is my favorite. Actually ended up reading it twice to myself in addition to reading it to my daughter because the story is so clever and the characterizations so delightful. HIGHLY recommend. A charmer.
Coraleigh Shreeve
I loved this book it gave me and instinct of going outside and playing games with friends and siblings. Even though I am 13 years old I think that this book is for all ages!!
Gigi Berry
Mellodi Parks
Such a cute little children's series. I am enjoying it as an adult reader who was looking for something different to read. I've found through reading this series that I maybe did some of these things as a small child as well. I can picture each thing happening in the book as me. It is almost like reading a bit into my own memory lane. Off to go finish the rest of these! Give Ivy and Bean books a read, won't you?
Christina
This was a delightful little book! I was surprised at how witty and cheeky it was. It is part of a series of Ivy and Bean books written by Annie Barrows, niece of and collaborator with Mary Ann Shaffer (of Guernsey Literary Society fame). I checked it out in an attempt to get a well-rounded look at the authors. My 6-year-old particularly found it hilarious, but the humor was sophisticated enough to draw me in as well. Definitely best for the 1st to 3rd-grade set. We plan on reading more in the s...more
Kara
This is the 5th book in the series Ivy and Bean.It is about two girls named Ivy and Bean who are best friends they both live on the street ''Pancake Court''.When Ivy and Bean want the animals to realize how ''good hearted '' they are they try to be nice and quiet.When this doesn't work Ivy has a suggestion to have Bean be bad and than change her into ''goodhearted''.So when Bean starts to be bad every one on the street joins in by, spiting in flowers,throwing shoes on people's roofs', and sprayi...more
Books Kids Like
Ivy stands outside with her arms up and thinks positive thoughts. She is trying to get birds to land on her arms, because if they do, it means that she has pure thoughts and a pure heart. Bean tries it too, but she definitely does not have enough patience. When the birds don't come, Ivy tries a different tactic. She has Bean do bad things, and, then, she rescues her and persuades her to reform. No birds. The "badness" becomes contagious and soon all the kids of Pancake Court are competing with e...more
Derek Mahar
Sophia thought that this book was so bad it was good!
Deaysia
I loved this book.It was very interesting.I recommend this book for people who are bored and they want to read a book that has somethings that people have done when they were bored.This is my review,Bean was bored on her front porch waiting for something exciting to happen.She heard Ivy playing in her backyard.Bean saw what she was doing but didn't understand it.She was standing still.Ivy turned around and explained what she was doing.If you want to know what she was doing read the book.
Marya
This book could spark a discussion on what it means to be bad...or be bullied...or it could just be enjoyed as a fun little romp. There is plenty of room for interpretation, but it will be up to the adult to begin that discussion and fully engage the child.

Bonus points for Ivy's assessment of Snow White being stupid because everyone knows you don't accept gifts from strangers (and the conclusion that Snow White's helpful bird friends simply pitied the dumb broad). :)
Shelli
Hysterical! My daughter and I laughed till we cried. Ivy and Bean try to think good thoughts and be pure of heart so that animals will follow them all around; similar to Snow White. When that doesn't work they decide to just be bad really really bad then reform and the animals will love them for such drastic improvements. Love this series. Great books for young readers or to share with your children or students.

Amelia
it was funny
Sam Bloom
I really can't say enough about these books. Ivy and Bean are just so much fun together as characters, and that's really a testament to not only Barrows' writing but Sophie Blackall's fantastic illustrations. Book 5 is, much like the first four, mostly devoid of plot, but it doesn't matter because the girls are so funny, lovable and real.
Eileen Lazala
this book is a great book. ivy and bean think that everyone thinks they could be more perfect if they were nice. they try all these different thing to show there not bad there jest regular girl and there suger is to be a little bad.

after all that drama they decide there bound to be bad to have a little suger
Kimberly Ward
My 2nd-3rd grade girls will love this series. Ivy and Bean are such likable characters. In this book, Ivy and Bean decide that after learning about St. Francis, that they will be so good and pure that animals will follow them around. Well, for these two being good is easier said then done.
Heather Weiner
Very funny story about the two friends trying to be bad so that they can then reform and will be so loving that birds will land on their shoulders and wolves will follow them around adoringly. The things that they do in their attempts at being naughty are hilarious.
Robina
Witty and whimsical. My favorite Ivy & Bean so far.
Marina1
May 05, 2011 Marina1 is currently reading it
i still read ivy and bean i mean it is awsome the way the made the first book ivy looks crazy with all that face paint on if thts was my mom and wanna my friens snoke in and my mom didnt know i would have been dead im just glade thier friends.
  • Clementine, Friend of the Week (Clementine, #4)
  • The Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Treasure Hunt (Judy Moody & Stink, #2)
  • Gemma the Gymnastic Fairy (Sporty Fairies, #7)
  • The Frandidate (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #7)
  • Still Just Grace (Just Grace, #2)
  • Princess Posey and the First Grade Parade (Princess Posey, #1)
  • Sleepover Sleuths (Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew, #1)
  • Out to Lunch (Katie Kazoo, Switcheroo, #2)
  • Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy, Secret Admirer
  • Princess (The Puppy Place)
Annie grew up in Northern California, and graduated from the University of California at Berkeley, with a degree in Medieval History. Unable to find a job in the middle ages, she decided upon a career as an editor, eventually landing at Chronicle Books in San Francisco, where she was in charge of "all the books that nobody in their right mind would publish." After earning an M.F.A. in Creative Wri...more
More about Annie Barrows...
Ivy and Bean (Ivy and Bean, #1) Ivy and Bean Break the Fossil Record (Ivy and Bean, #3) The Magic Half Ivy and Bean Take Care of the Babysitter (Ivy and Bean, #4) Ivy and Bean and the Ghost That Had to Go (Ivy and Bean, #2)