Start by marking “Silent Children” as Want to Read:
Silent Children

Silent Children

3.11 of 5 stars 3.11  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Once upon a time there was a man who loved children. He loved them so much he tried to save them from their imperfect parents. Unfortunately, Hector Woollie didn't work for Child Protective Services . . . and the children he rescued, he murdered.

Once upon a time, Leslie had a happy marriage, a happy son, and a happy life. Now divorced, she is trapped in ongoing battles wit
Published November 19th 2001 by Tor Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Silent Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silent Children

Olethros
-¿Basta, en general, con arropar narrativamente una idea sencilla para hacer novela de horror?.-

Género. Novela.

Lo que nos cuenta. Hector Woollie es un responsable de reformas que esconde los cadáveres de los niños a los que mata en aquellos domicilios en los que es contratado para trabajar, pero que muere ahogado tras ser descubierto por un empleado al que enfrenta en una balsa. La última casa que Woollie usó como improvisado camposanto pertenece a una mujer, Leslie, divorciada, con un hijo adol
Rowan MacBean
I read until chapter ten and then gave up out of complete disinterest.
Jenn
This was a very difficult book to get into. It wasn't until the last third of the story that my interest was peaked, and even then I kept waiting for something to happen that never did. The ending and epilogue felt like the author had just given up.
Leah
Solid idea with the potential for high creep factor; unfortunately, there was too much revealed too early. It felt predictable and anti-climactic in parts as if there was nothing really left to discover or find out. And the characters weren't all that likeable, which caused me to disconnect and not really care about their survival. So my first experience with Campbell wasn't great but I plan to read one or two more anyway. 2.5 stars
JerryB
See my review of The Overnight for a more thorough discussion of why I'm currently "paused" at the 75%-mark of both that book and this one, and for my thoughts about the redoubtable Ramsey Campbell, a most unique horror writer.

UPDATE: All right, I finished it, and overall I have to say it was something of a disappointment, definitely a minor work of Campbell's, in my estimation.
Erica
Not great- dragged and dragged. The plot was good but the author got so caught up in the minutiae that I skimmed through the last few chapters. Pretty disappointing.
Susanz
After reading some reviews I was unsure about this book. After getting into it, I ended up liking it more than I expected.
Laurie
Slow... had good promise, but the "wow!" never kicked in.
Mary Whidden
Interesting thriller by an English author.
Oscar Espinosa
I expected more of this so-famous horror author.
Caroline
A little too slow moving.
Stacie Green
Stacie Green marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Flo
Flo marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Temika
Temika marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Michelle R Follmer
Michelle R Follmer marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Latoya Jones
Latoya Jones marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Roxanna Parker
Roxanna Parker marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Linnaya Graf
Linnaya Graf marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Sessan
Sessan marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Nika Won
Nika Won marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Melissa Collins
Melissa Collins marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Chuck Oathout
Chuck Oathout marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Xondra Day
Xondra Day marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
  • The Painted Darkness
  • Magic Terror
  • White and Other Tales of Ruin
  • Hide and Seek
  • Evil Eye  (Special X, #5)
  • Generation ecstasy : into the world of techno and rave culture
  • Archaeologies of the Future: The Desire Called Utopia and Other Science Fictions
  • Community
  • The Ceremonies
John Ramsey Campbell is a British writer considered by a number of critics to be one of the great masters of horror fiction. T. E. D. Klein has written that "Campbell reigns supreme in the field today," while S. T. Joshi has said that "future generations will regard him as the leading horror writer of our generation, every bit the equal of Lovecraft or Blackwood."
More about Ramsey Campbell...
The Hungry Moon Alone With the Horrors: The Great Short Fiction, 1961-1991 Cold Print Ancient Images The Doll Who Ate His Mother