Start by marking “Ghosts and Grisly Things” as Want to Read:
Ghosts and Grisly Things

Ghosts and Grisly Things

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Ramsey Campbell's novels have justly won him acclaim as one of the best writers of the age. A three-time winner of the World Fantasy Award and an eight-time winner of the British Fantasy Award, his writing has struck a chord with readers worldwide.

But throughout his career he has also written insightful, terrifying, and disturbing short fiction. Ghosts & Grisly Things
Published October 11th 2001 by Tor Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Ghosts and Grisly Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghosts and Grisly Things

Kirsten
A collection of Campbell's short stories. He's the master of dingy, claustrophobic horror -- these stories are peopled with petty, small individuals who get caught up in horrors they can't begin to understand, even though in most cases they've brought them on themselves. Often, the normal humans are almost as awful as the supernatural horrors haunting them. I utterly enjoyed this collection, even though I felt vaguely like I needed a shower afterward.
Rishonda
This book was a bit difficult to get into, but I think this was more due to cultural differences than actual the writing.

Even though most of Campbell's stories took place after 1975, some of the references were as foreign to me as reading Poe or some other century old horror novel. Some things Campbell seems to focus on: fog, loss of control, mental insanity.

I suppose for him, the sense of losing oneself to insanity is a lot more horrible than anything that may be hiding in your closet or unde
Darin
Rather than detailing carnage and grue, Ramsey Campbell writes the sort of horror stories that slowly suffocate you to death all the while convincing you that this is perfectly normal and reasonable and why on earth are you frightened?

The tales which make up Ghosts and Grisly Things span Campbell's career from the early 1970s to the mid 1990s. A constant recurring theme is just how close the mundane, everyday world can exist to unimaginable terror when one considers how easily one may slip into
Robert Beveridge
Ramsey Campbell, Ghosts and Grisly Things (Tor, 1998)

I sometimes wonder where books get their titles. In this case, I have to lay the blame on some copy editor at Tor who hadn't even bothered reading the manuscript, or at best skimmed it a tad. There's the odd ghost in this collection of stories, and a grisly thing or two, but anyone who's read Ramsey Campbell before should be well aware by now that the horror which Campbell makes his stock in trade has far less to do with such external fear-ind
Terry
Although I cannot fault the writing, the subject matter is highly unpleasant. I am a horror fan, but this book of short stories is unrelenting in its nastiness. It's mostly about mental illness -- delusions, hallucinations, paranoia -- with some supernatural elements thrown in. It wears you down. In part this might be because one story goes a long way; after a half-dozen, it becomes repetitious and nauseating. After a few more, it feels like an exercise in self-torture. The structure of each tal ...more
Robb Bridson
This is a collection of short stories by Campbell. Personally I didn't care for most of them. These are the sort of story where it's all about the ending, and the endings were usually not satisfying.
I suspect maybe Campbell's novels are better.
Jamie
This is a wildly uneven collection of Campbell's shorter works. While some stories shine many are abysmal. Which is really unfortunate as I consider him an effective writer of the truly spooky short story normally. This collection includes:
The Same in any Language
A Side of the Sea
Missed Connection
The Chang
Boyke96
Nice stories, but not really my style.
John Hepple
Another brilliant selection of dark and grim horror.
Brett
Horror,Anthology
Mohamed Nour
Mohamed Nour marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Daniel Stephens
Daniel Stephens marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Ami
Ami marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Kimmy Yates
Kimmy Yates marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Gabrielle Van kervinck
Gabrielle Van kervinck marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Martin
Martin marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Winnowyl Daemera
Winnowyl Daemera marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Lexy Watson
Lexy Watson marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Samantha Silver
Samantha Silver marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Mark Ryan
Mark Ryan marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Danny
Danny marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The End of the Line: An Anthology of Underground Horror
  • The Dark Country
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume Three
  • Best New Horror 14 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #14)
  • In a Lonely Place
  • Honeymoon In Hell
  • Tangents
  • The Collector of Hearts: New Tales of the Grotesque
  • Borderlands 3
  • The Penguin Book of Ghost Stories: From Elizabeth Gaskell to Ambrose Bierce (Penguin Classics)
  • October Dreams: A Celebration of Halloween
  • The Man Who Collected Machen and Other Weird Tales
  • Dark Delicacies II (Dark Delecacies, #2)
  • Who Fears The Devil
  • Saliva Tree and Other Strange
  • Painted Devils
  • The Howling Man
  • Hellbound Hearts
John Ramsey Campbell is a British writer considered by a number of critics to be one of the great masters of horror fiction. T. E. D. Klein has written that "Campbell reigns supreme in the field today," while S. T. Joshi has said that "future generations will regard him as the leading horror writer of our generation, every bit the equal of Lovecraft or Blackwood."
More about Ramsey Campbell...
The Hungry Moon Alone With the Horrors: The Great Short Fiction, 1961-1991 Cold Print Ancient Images The Doll Who Ate His Mother