Quiver

Quiver

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  55 reviews
One of the most riveting and powerful new voices in crime fiction, Peter Leonard delivers a razor-sharp debut thriller.

Kate McCall’s husband has been killed by her son, Luke, in a tragic bow-hunting accident. While Kate struggles with her son’s surly guilt, her first love, Jack, an ex-con, reappears, along with a crew of his former “colleagues.” While Jack must convince hi...more
Published May 13th 2008 by Minotaur Books (first published January 1st 2008)

Paul Pessolano
This is a really good read if you are looking for something that is fast, easy, entertaining, and full of bad guys, that you well really enjoy getting whats due them.

Kate McCall is living a charmed life. She has a wonderful husband and son, that is, until her son, Luke, kills his father in a hunting accident. While Kate and Luke are struggling to get over this tragedy, they are confronted with a former lover of Kate.

Jack Curran comes back into Kate's life after having served prison time for thef...more
jcg
Didn't finish this book, made it about halfway through. There are several stories going on at the same time, which wouldn't be bad if they moved along, but all the stories were very slow unfolding. There's a whole chapter of a woman discussing her neighbors with a friend (with revelations echoing the 2005 film Elizabethtown). I assume that at some point all the stories converge, but I wasn't interested enough to stick around and find out what happened.
Alejandra
Sep 02, 2008 Alejandra rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Alejandra by: Poisoned Pen
This was a book of the month pick, and, as usual, I liked it. I thought it could have been cut a little bit short in some parts; but I guess that in overall it gives the book a good feel. It's haunting in certain places and scary real in all of them.
Coki
Listened to - certainly no Elmore but shows potential. Similar characterization to his dad but plot needed more work.
Dawn
not horrible for a first try but he sure ain't his daddy!
Loopyloo100
The story is of Luke and his mum Kate, who is a bit of a superwoman and the loss of her husband: Owen in a hunting accident with a bow, which Luke feels somewhat to blame for. After his death Luke has difficulties settling down, and Kate meets an old flame: Jack, who has only recently been freed from jail, which is unknown to her. Luke disappears and suddenly she is facing a kidnapping, as she has been left a fortune by Owen but instead of falling to bits, superwoman comes to the fore.

I found t...more
Cheryl
Kate McCall's husband dies in an hunting accident. Kate's son, Luke accidentally shots his father with an arrow. As Kate is trying to cope with the loss of her husband and the guilt her son carries, an old friend walks back into her life. Jack is an ex-con. He has a lot of people after him right now, because they think he has lost the heist money. The events that take place will make Kate and her son, Luke's relationship stronger than it has even been in this skillfully plotted strongline of a b...more
John McLaughlin
Still working thro it - it's a tough one! There are some brilliant chahacters in it, including a female killer who's much brighter than her dimwitted colleague whom she wonders why she keeps around - well-done characterization is one of his strengths. Everybody who reviews it talks about his similarity to or competition with his dad, Elmore, but it's not a competition - Peter writes much more elaborately, doesn't hesitate to pontificate about his characters, something Elmore never does; Elmore n...more
Gianluca
★★★★ 1/2 - ottimo romanzo.... iniziato a leggere con un certo pregiudizio, per via dei molti autori sfruttano la fama del cognome per pubblicare clamorose boiata.... qui devo invece ricredermi ed ammettere che sbagliavo.... il libro di Peter Leonard ha un'ottima architettura della trama ed una altrettanto ottima caratterizzazione dei personaggi.... non do il punteggio pieno solo per via di alcuni errori tipici degli scrittori alle prime armi, che pur se perdonabili, sul momento danno fastidio (m...more
Diane
i hadnt read this author before but i will look for more of his work. the son accidentaly shoots his dad in a hunting trip. since the dad and mom are rich people come out looking to harm them for dibs on some cash. the mom tho is very smart and clever. she can handle her own too. good characters.
Annie
The plot is a relatively simple one: Kate McCall becomes a widow when her husband is killed by their son in a hunting accident. Over the next seven months, the boy becomes withdrawn and runs away. Then he is kidnapped with $2 million demanded in ransom. The real value in the book is the characterizations. It would not be fair to compare the personages to those of Elmore Leonard. They're right up there with the master. Leonard deftly moves the plot along, with double-crosses and unexpected twists...more
Larry Hoffer
I really liked this book. I'm surprised that the majority of the reviewers on this site didn't. I thought the characters were fun and flashy, the story hooked me from page 1 and it had some good twists and turns. Sure, I ultimately had my suspicions about how things were going to wind up, but I enjoyed the book enough that I wasn't bothered by that. Peter Leonard is Elmore Leonard's son and it was clear from reading this book that great writing skills run in the family. I do agree with one revie...more
Jamie
Here’s one man who should keep following his father’s footsteps. Whether he got his talent genetically, or honed it listening to his dad for so many years, he’s got it. This was great.
Evelyn
Kate McCall’s husband has been killed by her son, Luke, in a tragic bow-hunting accident. While Kate struggles with her son’s guilt, her first love, Jack, an ex-con, reappears, along with a crew of his former associates. While Jack tries to convince his partners in crime that he really did lose their heist money, his appearance sets into motion a series of events for Kate, ending in a life-and-death confrontation.

Leonard is the son of Elmore Leonard.
A well-plotted, easy-to-read novel that explo...more
Robin
First line of the book
"Kate was standing at the island counter, eyes swollen from crying, makeup smeared across one of her cheeks, staring at the food: platters of cold cuts and bowls of potato salad, plates of cookies, assorted cheeses and fresh fruit."

Reviewed this book - it had what seemed to be a couple of separate plotlines that took a while to intersect and once they did the pace of the story accelerated and so did my interest as a reader. So the book has a slow start but gets real interes...more
Any Length
I found that beginning of the book too confusing. Too many people's stories were introduced before returning to the protagonist.
The story was a bit long and went in too much detail into the thought processes of minor characters.
Jbsfaculty
Kept my attention; good summer read.
Maxime
I liked the book it was ok a good easy read.
Steve
This is a very good debut novel by the son of arguably my favorite author (Elmore Leonard). The plot is tight and the characterization is rich. What keeps it from five stars? I'm not sure I am technically competent to be specific. Suffice it to say, the author made no mistakes, and entertained me all the way through, and if his prose lacks a specific magic that his dad provides, I am confident that magic will surface in future works. A great read!
Daniel
Elmore Leonard is my all time favorite author. Peter Leonard is his son. Luckily, the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree. This is an excellent first novel. If anything it may feel a little too much his dad's work. This is nice for those of us who know there can't be too many books left in the 83 year old Elmore. We will see if Peter can carve out his own voice. I know I am looking forward to finding out.
Jenn
Kyle Wright
I enjoyed this book a lot. It was a story, and well told. There is nothing spectacular about this book. The characters are good, not shallow, but by no means deep. The plot is straight forward, you know what is going to happen, but the author wrote well enough to keep you interested to find out how it is going to happen. Like I said I did enjoy the book for the story and the characters.
Jessica
Leonard owes almost the entire plot to his famous father Elmore, and while I'm sure he risked being derivative if he'd done so I wish he'd borrowed some of the humor as well. These sorts of motley-crew crime novels don't seem to gell without the levity - the plots aren't interesting enough to stand alone. I will give points to the high accuracy in his depiction of Michigan living, though.
James Stark
I think the author may have been too specific about the places in Michigan. It could be because I knew all of the places that were mentioned. It was nice to hear the places that I know so well, but it seemed to take away from the story. But, it could have been because I know the places that I was pulled away as they were mentioned, because they were mentioned.
Kitty
After a tragic hunting accident where her son killed her husband, Kate McCall struggles with her loss as her son Luke struggles with his guilt. Enter old flame Jack into the picture. She doesn't quite trust him, but reaches out anyway. Then Luke is kidnapped and a ransom demanded. Kate calls Jack immediately to help her out of this nightmare.
John
I can't think about this book without thinking about his dad, Elmore's writing. It spent a little too much time on side stories that didn't advance the plot and got a little distracted trying to get in the heads of the characters, but the underlying story was kind of gripping. And messy. Maybe his second book will be better.
J. Ewbank
This book by Peter Leonard is certainly a very good read. I can't believe that this is his first novel. The plot is unusual and interesting; the characters are believable. It is an excellent start to what I hope is a long and active career.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Pamela
I enjoyed reading this book. It didn't capture my attention like other books in that I couldn't put it down. The book included everything from kidnapping, blackmail, trust, betrayal and guilt. What I did like about it was that the main character Kate was a strong, smart, independant and very likeable person.
Razz
This book kept coming up in "recommended for you". So, I decided what the hey. And I can't believe I finished it. One of the things that sticks in my mind is his overuse of, "she took another sip/poured her wine". Very unlikable characters and hopefully, unrealistic. Don't bother with this one.
Kathy
This was an impulse pickup out of the New Book section of the library. You can definitely see the influence of Peter Leonard's Father, Elmore. The crime story has lots of quirky characters, the women are smarter than most of the men and it has its fair share of violence.

This was a good, quick read.
220840
Son of Elmore Leonard.

Peter Leonard lives in Birmingham, Michigan with his wife and four children. He is a partner in the ad agency Leonard, Mayer & Tocco, Inc.
More about Peter Leonard...
All He Saw Was The Girl Voices of the Dead Trust Me Eyes Closed Tight Back from the Dead