Start by marking “Kabul” as Want to Read:
Kabul

Kabul

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Modern events sometime demand the reissue of a book published several years ago. Hirsh's internationally acclaimed 1986 novel, Kabul, provides an almost miraculous window into a country and its people that now have captured the world's attention.

When the last Afghan king is deposed in the summer of 1973, the family of Omar Anwari, his loyal cabinet minister, is torn apart
Published June 1st 2002 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Kabul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kabul

Ron
This terrific novel about Afghanistan in the 1970s makes "The Kite Runner" seem plodding and shallow. It is a family saga with its own "spoiled prince" character, full of political intrigue in the years leading up to the Soviet invasion, and its closing chapters involve not one but two daring rescue missions. The scope of this 440+ page novel is as far ranging and ambitious as Boris Pasternak's "Dr. Zhivago."

The fortunes and fate of the well-to-do Anwari family are linked to the rise and fall of
Diane
Written in 1986, the 2nd edition was published in 2002 when Afghanistan was in our news daily. The family of Omar Anwari (Catherine, Mangal, Saira, and Tor) is torn apart along with the country when the novel begins in the early 1970s at the time the last Afghan king is deposed. Reading about the ensuing years leading up to the Soviet invasion, I was "captured" by the family and their proud, desperate attempts to save their country from civil war. Hirsh develops the main characters with sensitiv ...more
Katherine Platt
This book is the size of a dictionary. It is an enjoyable and quick reading despite the book's length. The author tells the story of a higher class Afghan family during the 1970s (pre-USSR invasion; pre-Taliban). 1970s Afghanistan is known as the golden era. During that time, this country was a prosperous nation. But a political change caused the down spiral of this nation to what's going on nowadays. This book illustrates that key political change that not only influenced the Afghan society, bu ...more
Candy
Thought this was better than Kite Runner. Story of a family- 3 siblings and the way they interact. The issues of politics and communications closely parallels what is happening in Afghanistan now even though the book takes place 20 years ago.
penny
I learned so much about Afghanistan while reading this book. It really inspired me to read more non-fiction about the country. At times I felt the writing was a bit mushy/dramatic for my tastes, but the story was good and the characters likable.
Susi
i was living in europe when this book took place and thought i knew about issues in the world...wow!!! what little i knew....very interesting on the politics of a part of the world of which i am so ignorant.
Karen
I find books that center on "what used to be" and that have strong characters to be my favorites in this genre. Definitely a good book and one to be in line after the more well-known Afgan books.
Clara
Good at describing the historical context of the Afghan government (in high English prose?). They recently found the remains of some of the people they mention in the book - so it's all true!
Ania
Dec 11, 2008 Ania rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2008, asia
This book was about Afganistan from 1973 to the time of the Soviet invasion in 1979. This book had a lot of history and politics, maybe a little too much. But overall it was good.
Chey
great for given some history of afganistain ,i actually wanted more in the end,this book i recommend for adults due to some content. great read overall.
Erin
The first couple of chapters started off kind of slow, and I didn't think I would like the characters, but I ended up really liking the book!
Hedy
A wonderful story of love and family that takes place largely during the Russian occupation of Afghanistan.
Maryanna
Mind captivating historical fiction of political strife in Afghanistan during the Russian occupation.
Linda
Wonder if our military would be involved in Afganistan if all of our leaders were required to read this book.
Colleen
Intense read. Informative on the history of Afghanistan, but no ending to the fictional story whatsoever.
Erin
Interesting book----very heavy topic obviously. Tough read, but important subject matter.
Wes F
Was a little far-fetched and not in line with the reality of the Afghan context.
Gina
family torn apart by the politics of pre russian invasion afghanistan
Dan Mehring, Ed.D.
Every bit as good as Khaled Hosseini's, "Kite Runner."
Debra Waddle
Debra Waddle marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Cara Durnin
Cara Durnin marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Cristella Tolliver
Cristella Tolliver marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Tamra Bradford
Tamra Bradford marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Kabul in Winter: Life Without Peace in Afghanistan
  • Come Back to Afghanistan: A California Teenager's Story
  • The Wasted Vigil
  • Meena, Heroine of Afghanistan: The Martyr Who Founded RAWA, the Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan
  • A Thousand Rooms of Dream and Fear
  • In the Name of God
  • An Unexpected Light: Travels in Afghanistan
  • The Dancing Girls of Lahore: Selling Love and Saving Dreams in Pakistan's Pleasure District
  • Dear Zari: The Secret Lives of the Women of Afghanistan