Start by marking “Darkfall” as Want to Read:
Darkfall

Darkfall

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  15,613 Ratings  ·  356 Reviews
They found four corpses in four days. Each more hideously disfigured than the last, the bodies punctured with dozens of tiny wounds.At first they thought it was a savage psychopath. Then they thought it was a vicious gangland war. Then they thought packs of demonic rats were escaping through the ventilation system.

Then they saw the nightmare itself, in all its mottled, sl
Published February 6th 2007 by Berkley (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Darkfall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkfall

Odd Thomas by Dean KoontzWatchers by Dean KoontzIntensity by Dean KoontzLightning by Dean KoontzLife Expectancy by Dean Koontz
Best Dean Koontz Books
37th out of 77 books — 780 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingThe Stand by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram Stoker
The Definitive Horror Book List
224th out of 1,070 books — 1,433 voters

More lists with this book...

Dirk Grobbelaar
Apr 01, 2014 Dirk Grobbelaar rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, books-i-own

Penny Dawson woke and heard something moving furtively in the dark bedroom.

Darkfall has one of the spookiest opening sequences ever to grace the pages of a horror novel. Or at least, in my humble opinion.
It would have been nice if it could have kept that momentum going.

Fear brought a watery looseness to his joints.

I am of the opinion that this is the kind of thing DK does best. Way back, my first real introduction to supernatural Horror stories was Phantoms. It scared the dickens out of me, but
Lisa
Jan 24, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it
One of Koontz’s earliest novels that was originally titled “The Pit” by his persona Owen West, has been retitled “Darkfall” and is now published along with other Koontz titles. I picked up this paperback after reading and enjoying Koontz’s “Odd Thomas” series. The writing of “Darkfall” is just as dark and evil as I had expected.

Koontz’s use of imagery throughout the novel is outstanding. I was able to (unwillingly) step into the novel and be part of the action. I truly felt as if I was traveling
Maciek
Darkness comes/Darkfall - 1984. This is propably the most "Mastertonian" book written by Koontz, as it deals with voodoo.
Baba Lavelle is a newcomer in town, and he's planning to take over the drug business. However, he's not your average thug - he's a Bocor, which basically means he can conjure the most wicked demons and send them after his enemies.

Koontz's use of visual imagery is outstanding. That's one of the fact I miss in his recent works. The demons, the chases are all beautifuly rendered.
Craig *ARISEN FROM THE ABYSS*
Nice mixture of detective novel with supernatural and horror elements. Loved the Lovecraftian style finish too although I was expecting a bleaker ending.
Horace Derwent
presently all by itself, some dashy and perky horror stories are really lame in comparison to koontz's oldschool hardass horrors
Matthew
Jan 17, 2015 Matthew rated it really liked it
This was enjoyable, suspensful, and dark. Koontz even says in the afterward that it was not necessarily his best work, but he was hoping for a page turner - so he succeeded!
Andrew
Jan 17, 2014 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dean Koontz is a conundrum to me. His work is commercial and accessible and very easy to find - however there are many many critics of his style and criticisms of his work and his imagination.
He is hugely successful and his creations are so addictive and I just cannot put his books down once I start them. I first found his work while I was at university. The publisher Headline had just launched a number of his books with new covers and they had a huge window display at a local bookshop. The cov
Becky
2.5 Stars
Starting this book I actually had pretty high hopes for it. A voodoo priest comes to New York for revenge and calls upon dark spirits and forces of evil to do his bidding... and all over town, people are found dead and mutilated. It starts out with some pretty creepy scenes, and the action doesn't really let up after that. If I was just judging this book on concept, action, and pace, it would be a 4 star book at least. But unfortunately, this is Dean Koontz, who manages to take a good c
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
Darkfall, as an early Koontz novel, is chocked full of horror, straight arrow chills, and all the things that make us look under the bed at night. The theme itself (demonic creatures?) drew me immediately and I stuck to these pages like dirt on a bar of used soap.

The plot itself isn’t overly complicated but it’s laid out in a way that allows it to come off as a semi-mystery wannabe. The ending isn’t shocking once it’s unraveled, but there’s no way in hell I could have guessed it the first few ch
Mike (the Paladin)
If you have read much Koontz and have read the forwards, notes etc. you may have run across the fact that Mr. Koontz (at least for a while) was (and for all I know may still be) very...."disillusioned" with Hollywood. They did some adaptions of his work that left, quite a bit to be desired. Still there was also a period (probably before this) when many of Mr. Koontz'z novels read (to me at least) as if they were outlines for screen plays.

This is one of those.

My wife and both my kids read this o
Brett
Apr 13, 2008 Brett rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror
Darkfall by Dean Koontz. I had no idea what this book was about when I started it, and declined to read the synopsis so I could have the "joy" of nosing the plot out for myself. Well, I'll spoil it for you: it's about a voodoo practitioner that opens the gates of hell a bit and lets out some weird stuff that terrorizes the family of a policeman that is trying to catch said voodoo practitioner for his connection to some murders. Now, this sounds like exactly that kind of thing that I might get ...more
Brett Tompkins
Aug 30, 2008 Brett Tompkins rated it really liked it
It is interesting to read a book this old because of the lack of modern technology in the story. No cell phones or internet. You catch yourself yelling at the main character to "call and tell them the new info!!!!", and then realize that they can't, unless they hit up a pay phone. A pay phone?!! What the heck is that?!!!
If you get the newest paperback version, there is an entry by Koontz that tells about how this book was supposed to be released under a pen name because editors at the time were
Monica
Feb 03, 2008 Monica rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes a damn good novel
Recommended to Monica by: Suzy
Suspenseful. Heart-pounding. The story is about two detectives, Jack and Rebecca, who are investigating a series of crimes where the victims have been chewed, although not by any kind of animal that can be recognized by medical doctors. What can it be? Knives? No. Too small. Penpricks? Well, how does a vicious body-building bodyguard not be able to fend those off? Voodoo? No. It's not real. Or is it? With the mind games that Baba Lavelle plays with Jack Dawson, Jack soon begins to believe. But ...more
Oscar
En Nueva York se están produciendo una serie de crímenes espantosos contra una familia mafiosa. La policía no encuentra explicación a los hechos, ya que los cuerpos aparecen mordisqueados y acuchillados en extrañas circunstancias. Pero el teniendo Jack Dawson está empezando a sospechar que detrás de todo anda un hechicero vudú.

‘Darkfall’ (1984), de Dean Koontz, es una novela entretenida sin más, con capítulos cortos y trepidante por momentos, donde lo divertido se encuentra en las criaturas. Lo
Graceann
Jul 29, 2010 Graceann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Koontz fans, horror fans
Shelves: suspense
This 1984 effort, released as Darkfall in the US, went beyond what I was expecting from Koontz - he shot right past suspense and into horror territory.

The novel begins with every little kid's nightmare; the monster under the bed. Penny Dawson doesn't want to tell any of the grown-ups what she's heard scrabbling away in her room, because she doesn't want them to think she's crazy. Meanwhile, her Dad is trying to solve a very strange series of "locked room mysteries."

Bringing the two threads tog
Jessica
May 12, 2009 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found this book at Goodwill and thought it sounded like a great thriller. Then I got to the first scene with Jack and Rebecca and right then and there it started getting the same feeling that Phantoms gave me. Things just ended to damn conveniently for the characters. I mean, Jack can fight demons from hell summoned by voodoo because he's basically a nice guy? Really? I've only read 3 of Dean Koontz's books, but already, I'm not a fan. The Taking is an incredible book and I loved every second ...more
Jeb
Nov 27, 2011 Jeb rated it liked it
This seems to be a pretty typical Koontz book. His chase and discovery descriptions are probably the best I've read of any author. He completely draws you in to the story line of horror discover:
The template is pretty straightforward:
1. seeing the gruesome facts,
6. supernatural discover that it's now being hunted,
7. short meeting of goo
Julie Powell
Apr 07, 2014 Julie Powell rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the philosophical aspects of the story regarding the concepts of heaven and hell and how we choose to live our lives, although the gooey bits were less so, I realised the necessity due to the subject matter.

A good read with great characters.
The Muser
Jul 11, 2014 The Muser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Review:

Characters: I am always surprised by how well Koontz writes from the viewpoint of a child. Always. I loved his child characters in this book, Penny especially. I’ve written a few short stories before, and have always struggled with writing from the viewpoint of a child, so my imaginary hat of awesomeness gets tipped to Koontz.

His adult characters are also well done, as always. I like that he can portray a person in a few simple sentences, and allows the dialogue to portray even more wi
D. Jason
Aug 02, 2013 D. Jason rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As I was reading this book (which is interesting in view of Koontz's larger career, as it goes against something I had previously believed about his evolution as a writer), something clicked for me. I finally realized why I can only take Koontz in small doses.

He has many flaws, most of which I already knew. He's not nearly as funny as he thinks he is. He's nowhere near as deep and insightful as he seems to believe. He is incapable of subtlety, yet seems convinced that he is uncommonly subtle. H
Saleh Tias
Feb 05, 2015 Saleh Tias rated it it was amazing
ডিন কুনটজ এর পরথম কোন বই পডার সৌভাগয হল আজ।
গত সনধযায মেডিসিন পডার ফাঁকে একবার ভাবলাম, ধরে দেখি বইটা কেমন। ধরে দেখার পর মনে হল, খুলে দেখি বইটা কেমন। খুলে দেখার পর মনে হল, পডে দেখি বইটা কেমন। আর পডে দেখার পর মনে হল, শেষ করেই দেখি কেমন লাগে!
এই বইটা খুবই ফাসট, বেশ উপভোগয, খুব একটা বড না (সমভবত শবদ), এবং সবচেযে বড কথা হচছে এর অনুবাদটা খুব চমৎকার।
মনেই হয নি অনুবাদ পডছি। আসল লেখক কিভাবে লিখেছেন জানি না, অনুবাদক সেটাকে অনুবাদ করার সময একেবারে আমাদের সংসকৃতির সাথে মিলিযে অনুবাদ করেছেন। শুধুমাতর যদি চরিত
Pranta Ghosh Dastider
ডীন কুণটজ এর গলপ এর আগে কখনো পড়িনি। এমনকি তার কোনও বই আমার কাছে নেইও, কেবল এটা বাদে। তবে শুনেছি ভদরলোক হরর-সুপারনযাচারাল থরিলার ধারার অনযতম উললেখযোগয কিংবদনতী, তাই বইটা পড়ার আগরহ ছিল অনযরকম।

সতযি কথা বলতে বইটা যতকষণ পড়েছি মজাই পেয়েছি। দারুণ দরুতগতির বই, কোথাও এতটুকু ঝুলে পড়েছে বলে মনে হয়নি। শুরুর থেকেই একটা রহসয ছিল যেটা ধীরে ধীরে সতযিতে বদলে যায়, এবং পরবরতীতে নায়কদের পেছনে ঝাঁপিয়ে পরে মৃতযুরূপে।

তবে গলপের সমাপতি আপততিজনক না হলেও একটু দরুত মনে হয়েছে। কাহিনী গঠন হতে হতেই শেষ হয়ে গেছে, পাঠক হিসাবে
Parajunkee
Sep 18, 2010 Parajunkee rated it it was amazing
This book scared me silly and stuck with me ever since. If you are looking for a spine-chilling horror novel - go for this one.

Koontz is by far one of the best writers that I have had the privileged of reading, I started reading horror with King, but Koontz sealed my love of the genre.

The book covers the story of a blizzard that closes down a town completely and as the residents deal with being cut off completely - they also have to face something evil that is lurking in the ventilation systems,
Nicholas Beck
Jul 29, 2010 Nicholas Beck rated it really liked it
Shelves: koontz
Darkfall was a great example of how Koontz can write an amazing horror story. This one had some fantastic elements with the voodoo angle that Koontz was writing. Some of the scenes were so startling and terrifying that I couldn't put down the books until I knew the characters were safe. The thrilling tale was a non-stop paced story that didn't slow till the very last page. This also contained some of the most thrilling chase scenes that I have ever read in a Koontz book.
Lee
Sep 24, 2012 Lee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dean-koontz
This earlier Koontz tale is about voodoo, and opening the Gates to Hell. A NY detective, trying to convince his partner, that the killings might have something to do with black magic. His 12 year old daughter had seen the "goblins", but keeps quiet, afraid that everyone will think she's just a baby. She should have said somehting earlier.:)
It was an OK read.
4cats
Jul 12, 2015 4cats rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Easy, read early Koontz novel, where a New York detective battles against the forces of a Bocor who has opened the Gates of Hell (an everyday occurrence in the world of Koontz). Picks up pace towards the end.
Jaime Contreras
Sep 11, 2016 Jaime Contreras rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, horror
This is lurid and scary story-telling about beasties that lurk in the dark. The book benefits from solid story construction and 'monsters' that are difficult to conquer. Mr. Koontz definitely can spin a tale of horror by building the suspense and throwing in twists.
Maicie
Oct 28, 2010 Maicie rated it liked it
Library. BOM for Koontzland Group.

Koontz wrote in the afterward that this wasn't his best story. It entertained well enough, though.
Mama
Dec 10, 2008 Mama rated it it was amazing
I've read 3 Dean Koontz so far and this is the one that has me looking for more. Very fun, scary and easy to read!
Liz
Feb 18, 2009 Liz rated it it was amazing
O.K. I have said this before,Don't read this novel if Koontz can get into your head.I often read this as I walked and rode the bus to work IN THE DARK. It freaked me out,alot.
Koontzland - Dean...: Darkfall (Group Read - June 2016) 11 24 Jun 13, 2016 08:19PM
One of his earlier books - I prefer his newer novels 4 23 Apr 02, 2014 12:34PM
  • Brain Child
  • The Dean Koontz Companion
  • Fountain Society

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...

“Holy men tell us life is a mystery.
They embrace that concept happily.
But some mysteries bite and bark
and come to get you in the dark.”
13 likes
“I realized that loving people, depending on them, NEEDING them, is just too dangerous. Love is just a way to set you up for a bad fall. It's the rug they pull out from under you at the very moment you decide that everything's going to be fine. We're all so ephemeral. So fragile. And life's so unpredictable.” 6 likes