Start by marking “The Servants of Twilight” as Want to Read:
The Servants of Twilight

The Servants of Twilight

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  11,560 ratings  ·  211 reviews
To his mother, Joey seems an ordinary six-year-old boy - special to her, but to no one else. To the Servants of Twilight, however, he is an evil presence who must be destroyed - an anti-christ who must die.
Published May 16th 1991 by Headline Feature (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Servants of Twilight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Servants of Twilight

Watchers by Dean KoontzOdd Thomas by Dean KoontzIntensity by Dean KoontzLightning by Dean KoontzLife Expectancy by Dean Koontz
Best Dean Koontz Books
30th out of 69 books — 685 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingThe Stand by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingDracula by Bram Stoker'Salem's Lot by Stephen King
The Definitive Horror Book List
124th out of 769 books — 1,075 voters

More lists with this book...

Erin (*is in a reviewing slump*)
As a bit of a back story, I grew up watching this movie. I mainly watched VHS tapes as a teenager in my room as I didn't have cable in there, and always loved this movie, which was a made for TV special. So of course I have wanted to read the book for years, thinking the story was awesome, and if the movie was good, the book is usually even better right?

Well, the book was basically just as good as the movie in this case. The first half of the book seriously follows the movie, down to dialogue an
Patrick Gibson
There was a time when I thought Dean Koontz wrote circles around Stephen King. He wasn’t famous. He had a cult following and he made you feel like you just discovered someone cool. He was the anti-King you could keep to yourself or share with a selected few. Koontz, of course, went the way of all flesh and began cranking them out and repeating himself. Fame? Well, if ‘Family Guy’ rips on you, fame has become your enemy. I haven’t read a Koontz novel since Odd Thomas became a regular character. T ...more
Shaunda
This book was good, and very suspenseful. I picked it up to read, and I thought I wouldn't like it (though I'll give every book a fighting chance), and I was surprised when I couldn't put it down. My main problem with this book is that the ending was somewhat vague, and not nearly as gripping as the beginning of the story...
Suzana Vuksanovic
This is an exciting novel, completely in the tradition of Dean Koontz who truly knows how to build one scene upon another of suspense and building questions - then to satisfyingly exhale (as it were) the resolutions and the answers, the relief to tension, one question at a time or more often all at once...
In this novel the 'mystery' is the question of who exactly is after an innocent little eight year old boy and why. The action consists of trying to protect both the boy (Joey) and his mother (C
Maggie Cats
I'm a sucker for Dean Koontz, I admit it. He is one of the most prolific authors out there and whether he is writing a thriller, fantasy, sci-fi, or straight-up horror novel, it won't disappoint.

Servants of Twilight is one of his earlier books and was first written under a pseudonym. It's a straight up thriller and even though I have read it before (though probably 20 years ago), I couldn't put it down and it kept me busy on the bus ride to and from New York City this past weekend.

The plot is
Mo
This is the 22nd Koontz book I've read and while reading it, it dawned on me how often he includes a golden retriever. And too often the story revolves around a single/divorced/unwed mother of a young child and the guy who helps her out of whatever predicament she's in ends up falling for her and she for him and it all ends up happily ever after. My favorite Koontz novels are the ones that avoid that typical outline.

I was intrigued by the 'is this child the Anti-Christ?' mystery yet was disappo
Stephanie
Oh, boy, where to start? A little boy is targeted by a group of religious fanatics (Christians, naturally, in case you had any doubts. Didn't you know we're all a bunch of rabid backwoods bastards?) whose leader believes him to be the Antichrist and his mother enlists the help of a private investigator to help her protect him from these whackadoodles. In the end, all three are saved but only after suffering through a bunch of mayhem and bloodletting in the interim. It was a good book but it drag ...more
Tom Nittoli
This one stole a star sliding into home at the last second leaving the ending ambiguous and a little creepy. However, most of the book is the same rhetoric spewed in the same formula with little variation to warrant anyone picking this particular Koontz book up over any of the others. The highlight of the book is the use of both sides fighting under the elk of presumably the same God. A concept not explored enough in any medium. The theme of two sides of the coin, but in the same pocket allows t ...more
Maciek
Originally published as "Twilight" in 1984, under the pseudonym Leigh Nichols, this is a very interesting work by Koontz. A woman and her son are stalked by an old woman who has branded the boy The Antichrist - and soon they are chased by religious cult known as The Church of Twilight. The Servants of Twilight are everywhere; and all of them want to kill the boy. Will Christine and Joey manage to survive ?

TSOT is a fast paced and enjoyable novel, some even named it the best of his early works. I
Shawnee Bowlin
I thought this was a great book, but I was a little disappointed at the ending. It was still so much worth it to read, as most Koontz books are for me. He is just so great with the suspense. This book carried a LOT of action, too. I liked that he didn't overdo the romance, keeping to the drama of the story.
Angie Tatarinova
The book was pretty good and plenty suspenseful. However Dean took describing the scenery a little too seriously, where in my opinion it was not necessary. It got boring a few times, but overall interesting plot.
*•.♥.•*Sabrina Rutter*•.♥.•*
I read this a very, very long time ago. I do remember this story was very creepy!
Helen Apocalypse
Sucky ending! Otherwise typical Koontz and reasonably distracting.
Nicole
creepy ass book
pietastic
I read this book because I thought it was one I read before my little brother was born (I remember wanting my mom to name him Joey because of the book). But now, I'm not so sure it's the same book I thought I remembered. Besides the kid's name there was one other detail I associated with it, and that detail was not here.

So, reviewing the book afresh (because I don't know what I would have seen in it as a pre-teen), it was okay. The plot was interesting and had a bit of elevated supernatural myst
John
A passable novel, despite being as typical a thriller as you can possibly get. It's also the 111,347th time Koontz has written a novel where people spend the entire story running away from a seemingly unstoppable killer that's mysteriously able to track them everywhere they go. The plot of THE SERVANTS OF TWILIGHT goes like this: run, hide, fight, run, hide, fight, run, hide, fight, run, hide, fight... Still, at least it was better than TICK TOCK.
THE SERVANTS OF TWILIGHT was originally published
Sharee Daley
I have thoroughly enjoyed most of the books I have read of Dean Koontz, but I thought this one stood out among them. In all of Koontz's books that I have read, I have found myself saying "Yeah right, this is ridiculous and could never happen". Even in my personal favorite Koontz novel, Lightning, i found many things unbelievable. But in The Servants of Twilight, Dean Koontz crafts a believable AND enjoyable storyline.
Christine Scavello has a young son, Joey, who is an exceptional little boy who
Johnny
Taylor McKines
3.5 Stars

It took me so long to read this book partly because I was moving and partly because it dragged a bit. This story could have been written as a novella or a short story. The protagonist constantly running away from The Servants of Twilight became repetitive and towards the end I just wanted it to end. However I enjoyed the story and I think the ending makes the book worth reading.
That ending.

SPOILER. SPOILER. SPOILER.

When The Servants of Twilight found Christine, Joy and Charlie in Tah
Bridget Leigh
I have to admit that I thought this was a complete flop. I LOVED this book up until the last chapters. It completely fell through. These people spend the entire book running running running from the crazed cult people who are trying to kill a little boy because the cult leader, mother grace, thinks he is the anti Christ. They burn down their houses, kill their dog, and all the people around them as well.
Finally once they think they have found a safe place atop a mountain in the freezing cold am
Sheri Milam
The Servants of Twilight was one of those books that would make a good TV movie. There were times that I thought the plot was moving too slowly and although Koontz is very descriptive in most of his writing, I felt like there were voids that could have been expounded upon.

The story was one of religious fanaticism and the lengths a mother (Christine) will go to in order to save her child (Joey). There was plenty of fear factor written in and once the tense moments began, they continued to streng
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
I loved that this book was based in Southern California. Particularly in the Orange Counry area. Being that I am from there I was able to recognize a lot of the locations such as the South Coast Plaza and other surrounding cities.

The story itself was good and I enjoyed reading it. The only thing that I didn't really enjoy was at the end it felt like Koontz was just trying to fill in pages. A lot of it was repetetive and I found myself skipping some pages towards the end. I didn't mind the roman
Ryan Mishap
I devoured Koontz and King back in middle school and part of high school. In retrospect, I could have spent my time on better books, but these chillers were an escape from things I didn't want to think about, especially at night when I couldn't sleep and my mind twisted my perceptions nauseatingly.
I'm not saying you should bother reading these, especially now that Koontz is openly being Christian and Stephen King thinks he is a writer, but I have a fondness for some of these books. If you are
BoekenTrol
I loved this book. Had read it years ago and now, just before a BC-meeting I wanted to read it again. One of the participants had it on her wishlist.

It is a book with very much suspension, a BIG question of HOW they manage to follow the little boy. In the end that is reasonably explained. If I buy it, that's another question though.
A bit of well dosed, not too bloody violence is the icing on this cake of great thriller / mystery book. It kept me in its spell fo a couple of days, for all its 380
Lisa
I listened to this as an audio book in the wee small hours of the night while each one of my children had a raging stomach bug, one after the other. But as I washed bed sheets and pajamas a paskillion times, and as I ran pots to the children to "catch it" before they could make it to the bathroom, I at least took comfort in the fact that I was STILL having a way better time than the mama in this book.
Jay
could definitely tell it was one of dean's way earlier works, but really cool sorry overall. obviously this story has been told many times over, but Dean, although a bit choppy in this one, his detailed explanation of each and every scene, just like always, is greatness and makes me feel like I'm there,,,, like I know exactly what is going on and what it would feel like. loved it
Razvan Zamfirescu
Oai cat mi-a placut aceasta carte!
Mi-a imprumutat-o o fata, eram in liceu parca, si cred ca era gagica mea de atunci. :)
Stiu ca mi-a placut atat de tare incat mi-am pus citatele de la inceputurile capitolelor prin camera.
M-a impresioant foarte puternic si si-a lasat puternic amprenta asupra mintii mele de pustan. Probabil ca daca as citi din nou cartea cu mintea de acum i-as da nota 2, dar prefer sa-l las pe adolescentul Razvan sa-si faca mendrele de aceasta data.
Imi aduc aminte ca atmosfera
Tammy
Somewhat fluffy thriller, but I liked it a bit better than "The Taking". The characters were more intriguing, and after you finish the book it stays with you a while. Without revealing anything, there are just some things that keep you thinking and puzzling even after you reach the end. Still, it wasn't a great book, but it was entertaining enough.
Tammi Collins
I loved the discussion throughout the book about good and evil and what really is heaven or hell. It really makes a person think. I must admit it wasn't my favorite of Dean's writing, but I did enjoy it just the same. I found it a lot more difficult to get through then my past reads. I would still recommend it to those Koontz fans out there.
Diane

I downloaded this because it was on sale on iTunes and I learned this lesson: ALWAYS check the publication date on books on sale! I enjoy a good Koontz thriller now and then. He's become a good storyteller. But he wrote this more than 25 years ago, curled up somewhere with a thesaurus, making some silly mistakes (Charlie, a high power private eye with years of experience, steals a Cadillac without (1) checking the license plate, which would show the owner is a senator, and (2) worrying about fin
Koontzland - Dean...: The Servants of Twilight (Group Read - February 2012) 81 67 Nov 24, 2013 10:36AM
  • The Vision
  • The Face of Fear
  • The Mask
  • Shattered
  • Icebound

Leigh Nichols is a pen name of Dean R. Koontz / Dean Koontz.
More about Leigh Nichols...
The Key to Midnight The House of Thunder The Eyes of Darkness Shadow Fires Schattenfeuer / Tür ins Dunkel (Shadowfires / The Door to December)