Start by marking “Elephants in Our Bedroom” as Want to Read:
Elephants in Our Bedroom

Elephants in Our Bedroom

The debut short story collection from the editor of the Mid-American Review. Michael Czyzniejewski’s writing is both poignant and playful. The collection includes fl ash and longer fiction and is the antithesis of those collections complained about for having every story too similar to each other.

Michael Czyzniejewski was born in Chicago and grew up in its south suburbs. H
Published February 1st 2009 by Dzanc Books

To ask other readers questions about Elephants in Our Bedroom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elephants in Our Bedroom

Michael
Nov 18, 2009 Michael rated it it was amazing
I learned that if you rate your own book on MyReads, and you give it five stars, your average rating goes up slightly.
Jessica
Mar 11, 2009 Jessica rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Jessica by: creative writing professor
41 books for 2009.
This author is actually coming to talk to our creative writing class tomorrow. So I picked up the book and read it in two sittings, loving it.
The short stories may have a touch of the fantastical (such as literal elephants in a bedroom) but are in no way unrealistic. Quirky and occasionally just fun, however I found several of the stories to be brutally realistic and uncomfortably familiar.
And most delightfully, the author has an incredible gift of voice ranging from a dying ol
David
Mar 26, 2011 David rated it it was amazing
The stories in this collection are marvelously entertaining in their use of absurdist elements. Inventive and imaginative, the absurd is used to examine (with impressive insight) aspects of human life and what it means to be human. Czyzniejewski manages to write his characters with a voice that seems truly his own, different from the other absurdist fiction that I have read. I think that is extremely important in this kind of fiction. It conveys a sense of importance along with the ridiculous. R ...more
Samantha
Jul 31, 2011 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Czyzniejewski came to my Advanced Fiction Writing course and talked to us about his writing process, his inspirations, and we were able to ask him questions about his stories. Then he led us in a writing exercise and also signed all of our books. As an added bonus he read a story from the not-yet-published book he had finished. It was a great experience.
Leah
May 12, 2009 Leah rated it liked it
I have a fondness for short stories. This collection was a pretty good read, though I wouldn't recommend it if you have a dislike for the bizzare. My favorites were "Sleepmurder," "Victor," "Cool," "The Magic of Oil Painting," and "The Death of Purple."
Michael
Jan 16, 2012 Michael marked it as to-read
You can listen to audio of me reading the first story of this collection right here: http://www.wingchairbooks.com/2012/01...
Liza K
Aug 16, 2009 Liza K rated it liked it
My old College teacher in creative writing!! Not bad, there are a few stories I loved and a few that were ok.
Ross McMeekin
Ross McMeekin rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2013
Sequoia
Sequoia rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2015
Charlie
Charlie rated it really liked it
May 16, 2013
Lynn
Lynn rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2009
Stephanie Johnson
Stephanie Johnson rated it really liked it
May 26, 2011
Jason Jordan
Jason Jordan rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2009
Meg Pokrass
Meg Pokrass rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2010
Monkeybicycle
Monkeybicycle rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2009
Blane Kelly
Blane Kelly rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2012
Alex Berge
Alex Berge rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2011
Steven
Steven rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2008
Tamara
Tamara rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2012
Blogbaas Van 'tVliegend Eiland
Sep 03, 2011 Blogbaas Van 'tVliegend Eiland rated it really liked it
7,75/10
Christie
May 21, 2012 Christie rated it it was amazing
Witty, moving, and unique. This book has a pulse all its own!
Seth Baker
Seth Baker rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2012
B.J.
B.J. rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2009
Stefanie
Stefanie rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2015
Gabe Durham
Gabe Durham rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2010
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2009
Pamela
Pamela rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2014
Heavy Feather
Heavy Feather rated it really liked it
May 16, 2012