Start by marking “Elephants in Our Bedroom” as Want to Read:
Elephants in Our Bedroom

Elephants in Our Bedroom

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The debut short story collection from the editor of the Mid-American Review. Michael Czyzniejewski’s writing is both poignant and playful. The collection includes fl ash and longer fiction and is the antithesis of those collections complained about for having every story too similar to each other.

Michael Czyzniejewski was born in Chicago and grew up in its south suburbs. H
Published February 1st 2009 by Dzanc Books

To ask other readers questions about Elephants in Our Bedroom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elephants in Our Bedroom

Michael
I learned that if you rate your own book on MyReads, and you give it five stars, your average rating goes up slightly.
Jessica
Mar 14, 2009 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Jessica by: creative writing professor
41 books for 2009.
This author is actually coming to talk to our creative writing class tomorrow. So I picked up the book and read it in two sittings, loving it.
The short stories may have a touch of the fantastical (such as literal elephants in a bedroom) but are in no way unrealistic. Quirky and occasionally just fun, however I found several of the stories to be brutally realistic and uncomfortably familiar.
And most delightfully, the author has an incredible gift of voice ranging from a dying ol
David
The stories in this collection are marvelously entertaining in their use of absurdist elements. Inventive and imaginative, the absurd is used to examine (with impressive insight) aspects of human life and what it means to be human. Czyzniejewski manages to write his characters with a voice that seems truly his own, different from the other absurdist fiction that I have read. I think that is extremely important in this kind of fiction. It conveys a sense of importance along with the ridiculous. R ...more
Samantha
Czyzniejewski came to my Advanced Fiction Writing course and talked to us about his writing process, his inspirations, and we were able to ask him questions about his stories. Then he led us in a writing exercise and also signed all of our books. As an added bonus he read a story from the not-yet-published book he had finished. It was a great experience.
Leah
I have a fondness for short stories. This collection was a pretty good read, though I wouldn't recommend it if you have a dislike for the bizzare. My favorites were "Sleepmurder," "Victor," "Cool," "The Magic of Oil Painting," and "The Death of Purple."
Michael
Feb 01, 2012 Michael marked it as to-read
You can listen to audio of me reading the first story of this collection right here: http://www.wingchairbooks.com/2012/01...
Liza K
My old College teacher in creative writing!! Not bad, there are a few stories I loved and a few that were ok.
Carolyn
This writer does more with metaphor than anybody I've read lately. I liked it a lot.
Christie
Witty, moving, and unique. This book has a pulse all its own!
Gary McDowell
February 1, 2009. Can't wait.
J.
J. marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Zachary Kocanda
Zachary Kocanda marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Taro Baugnon
Taro Baugnon marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Kay Card
Kay Card marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Emily Seger
Emily Seger marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Amy
Amy added it
Sep 10, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Aki200
Aki200 marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Saran
Saran is currently reading it
Apr 10, 2014
John Paul
John Paul marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Sasha
Sasha added it
Feb 03, 2014
Sierra Sitzes
Sierra Sitzes marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Chicago Stories:  40 Dramatic Fictions I Will Love You For the Rest of My Life: Breakup Stories Moon City Review Chicago Stories: 40 Dramatic Fictions Moon City Review 2014: An Annual of Poetry, Story, Art and Criticism