Start by marking “The Lizard Eaters” as Want to Read:
The Lizard Eaters

The Lizard Eaters

It seems incredible that in the Jet-and-Electronics Age there should still be living in Australia people who have no contact whatever with our civilisation... people who had never seen white faces... had never seen their own face in a mirror... or been close to a motor vehicle of any kind.
Form many years there has been rumours of such a lost tribe of aborigines in the vast
Published 1976 by Rigby (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about The Lizard Eaters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lizard Eaters

Kim Hine
Jan 11, 2015 Kim Hine rated it liked it
This is an older book, so it's language is tricky to understand sometimes. I enjoyed the primitiveness and how they made do with what they had. I enjoyed reading Douglas's description of the Aborigines he encountered along the way and tried to help, or did he?
I probably wouldn't read this book again, but since we are heading to this area later this year I was interested in reading the (now outdated) views on the country.
Trish
May 29, 2015 Trish rated it really liked it
The book, which was published in Australia in 1964, presented a fascinating picture of life among an extraordinarily isolated group of Aborigines. These people had lived in the driest terrain in the country for hundreds of years. They had never seen Europeans until the 20th century. Nomads, they lived in family units, trudging across the desert in search of sandy water holes, lizards, and occasional small kangaroos.
Kate
Feb 15, 2015 Kate rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this account of Lockwood's encounter with the Pintubi people. It was interesting to learn about these secluded people and how they managed to survive for many years in the harsh environment of the Gibson Desert. His style of writing is easy to read.
Barbara Darvall
Aug 04, 2016 Barbara Darvall rated it it was amazing
Fantastic story, unbelievable but true. Fascinating descriptions of the country, the people, how they lived, what they saw (and what we don't see).
Ross Barlow
Ross Barlow rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2015
Alison
Alison rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2013
Lance Kwin
Lance Kwin rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2014
Oscar Del Sébastien
Oscar Del Sébastien rated it it was ok
Jun 06, 2015
Gregor
Gregor rated it liked it
May 02, 2013
Owen
Owen rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2012
Rosalie Wrona
Rosalie Wrona rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Mike Casey
Mike Casey marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2013
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2013
Clare
Clare marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
Thomas Snow
Thomas Snow marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
Gwenola Jankovic
Gwenola Jankovic marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Daren
Daren marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Nolita
Nolita marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Geri
Geri marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2016