Start by marking “Wyoming Stories” as Want to Read:
Wyoming Stories

Wyoming Stories

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  469 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Pulitzer Prize-winning author Annie Proulx's mesmerising stories inspired by the harsh and unforgiving landscape of Wyoming are gathered together for the first time in one beautiful and collectable volume. On the heels of last year's mesmerising film adaptation of 'Brokeback Mountain' comes this beautiful, single volume collection of Annie Proulx's celebrated Wyoming stori ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Harper Perennial (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Wyoming Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wyoming Stories

Death Without Company by Craig JohnsonSkies Like These by Tess HilmoThe Cold Dish by Craig JohnsonThe Legend of Colton H. Bryant by Alexandra FullerBrokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx
Books Set in Wyoming
72nd out of 137 books — 27 voters
Cloud Atlas by David MitchellOlive Kitteridge by Elizabeth StroutLet the Great World Spin by Colum McCannGod Is Dead by Ron Currie Jr.Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson
Inter-Connected Short Stories
81st out of 131 books — 29 voters

More lists with this book...

Lesley
Dec 03, 2015 Lesley rated it really liked it
Although it's set in the same landscape, the stories are very different. It was interesting too to read the original Brokeback Mountain short story. An excellent collection.
Mike Goldstein
Mar 12, 2015 Mike Goldstein rated it it was amazing
This is some next level shit. Beautifully written, sad, menacing, funny, everything. Some of the best.
Shirley
Feb 07, 2014 Shirley rated it really liked it
Proulx is an incredible talent in capturing dialect and nuance along with the culture of an area. Each of her stories reflects the location, and in this book the stories are funny, sad, predictable,surprising, and true to life. Very enjoyable. When I picked it up, I didn't realize Brokeback Mountain was written by her as a short story. I can see how they could take these 30 pages so vividly written and turn it into the blockbuster that it was.
Heleen
Feb 20, 2014 Heleen rated it really liked it
Prachtige stijl van schrijven, die bijzondere vergelijkingen, die beschrijvingen van mensen in het harde bestaan met het harde klimaat. Alleen het allerbelangrijkste wordt opgeschreven. Liefde, tederheid, warmte, aandacht ontbreken al hunkert er men wel naar.
Mat Weddle
Aug 11, 2015 Mat Weddle rated it liked it
I particularly liked The Mud Below, Brokeback Mountain, and Job History. I really like the way she writes but man, these stories are just brutal. Makes me appreciate my easy life!
Liz
Aug 15, 2013 Liz rated it it was amazing
Annie Proulx is one of the greatest American authors of all time. End of story. 'Wyoming Stories' completely blew my hair back. Her richest character, by far, was that of Wyoming itself: gritty, unbending, but with tremendous heart.

I was drawn to this book by love of the film 'Brokeback Mountain', and Proulx's evocative, and provocative, prose made the story even more exquisite yet gut-wrenching than the film. Forget Romeo and Juliet - the tragedy of Jack and Ennis is the most romantic story ev
Theresa
Oct 26, 2015 Theresa rated it it was amazing
All I can say is--Wow!
These stories are from a different planet.
Deanna Anderson
Nov 16, 2013 Deanna Anderson rated it really liked it
It reminded me of growing up in Colorado ranch country although Wyoming is much more harsh. The stories illuminate the human propensity to try and live a certain kind of life no matter how difficult or inappropriate that life is in a given environment. Wyoming is no place for cattle and barely fit for humans, yet wild and beautiful, just like the stories.
Nicola
Aug 06, 2013 Nicola rated it it was amazing
I just love Annie Proulx's gritty short stories. The names are outlandish, the dirt and dashed dreams are palpable, and the stories are mesmerising. I'd rate this 10 if I could.
Beth
Apr 08, 2013 Beth rated it really liked it
Had to read "Brokeback Mountain" for a book club, but decided to read some other stories too. This would not make a good Welcome to Wyoming required read for new residents, but it is great.
Janine
Mar 18, 2012 Janine rated it liked it
To be read with Texan drawl...loved it - short stores set in the mid-west - dry, isolated, people act different out there... the environment affects their relationships.
Mckinley
Feb 17, 2014 Mckinley rated it it was amazing
Seems like real Wyoming to me.
Howard
Feb 14, 2012 Howard added it
An great collection
Liana Vargas
Liana Vargas marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Niki
Niki rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Tania
Tania marked it as to-read
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Andrew Swenson
Andrew Swenson marked it as to-read
Mrs Borden
Mrs Borden rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Deirdre Branley
Deirdre Branley marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Zeynep
Zeynep marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Jen
Jen added it
Jul 11, 2016
James Tatam
James Tatam marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
André Schumann
André Schumann marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Xi
Xi marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
  • Great Possessions : An Amish Farmer's Journal
  • Holdfast: At Home in the Natural World
  • Animal Magnetism
  • The Self Made Tapestry: Pattern Formation in Nature
  • Letters from the Hive: An Intimate History of Bees, Honey, and Humankind
  • The Art of Seeing Things
  • Sonny Liston Was a Friend of Mine
  • Alphabet Soup for Sylphs (Sylph, #3.5)
  • Anton Chekhov
  • Success Stories
  • Wild Fruits: Thoreau's Rediscovered Last Manuscript
  • Demon's Caress (Demon Heat, #1)
  • Heart Mountain
  • Hunting for Hope: A Father's Journeys
  • The Josefina Story Quilt
  • The Penguin Book of Gay Short Stories
  • Another Turn of the Crank
  • Beyond Ecophobia: Reclaiming the Heart in Nature Education (Nature Literacy Series, Vol. 1) (Nature Literacy)
1262010
Also published as E. Annie Proulx
Edna Annie Proulx is an American journalist and author. Her second novel, The Shipping News (1993), won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and the National Book Award for fiction in 1994. Her short story "Brokeback Mountain" was adapted as an Academy Award, BAFTA and Golden Globe Award-winning major motion picture released in 2005. Brokeback Mountain received massive c
More about Annie Proulx...