Wyoming Stories

Wyoming Stories

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  338 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Pulitzer Prize-winning author Annie Proulx's mesmerising stories inspired by the harsh and unforgiving landscape of Wyoming are gathered together for the first time in one beautiful and collectable volume. On the heels of last year's mesmerising film adaptation of 'Brokeback Mountain' comes this beautiful, single volume collection of Annie Proulx's celebrated Wyoming stori...more
Published July 2nd 2007 by HarperPerennial (first published 1999)

Shirley
Proulx is an incredible talent in capturing dialect and nuance along with the culture of an area. Each of her stories reflects the location, and in this book the stories are funny, sad, predictable,surprising, and true to life. Very enjoyable. When I picked it up, I didn't realize Brokeback Mountain was written by her as a short story. I can see how they could take these 30 pages so vividly written and turn it into the blockbuster that it was.
Heleen
Prachtige stijl van schrijven, die bijzondere vergelijkingen, die beschrijvingen van mensen in het harde bestaan met het harde klimaat. Alleen het allerbelangrijkste wordt opgeschreven. Liefde, tederheid, warmte, aandacht ontbreken al hunkert er men wel naar.
Liz
Annie Proulx is one of the greatest American authors of all time. End of story. 'Wyoming Stories' completely blew my hair back. Her richest character, by far, was that of Wyoming itself: gritty, unbending, but with tremendous heart.

I was drawn to this book by love of the film 'Brokeback Mountain', and Proulx's evocative, and provocative, prose made the story even more exquisite yet gut-wrenching than the film. Forget Romeo and Juliet - the tragedy of Jack and Ennis is the most romantic story ev...more
Deanna Anderson
It reminded me of growing up in Colorado ranch country although Wyoming is much more harsh. The stories illuminate the human propensity to try and live a certain kind of life no matter how difficult or inappropriate that life is in a given environment. Wyoming is no place for cattle and barely fit for humans, yet wild and beautiful, just like the stories.
Nicola
I just love Annie Proulx's gritty short stories. The names are outlandish, the dirt and dashed dreams are palpable, and the stories are mesmerising. I'd rate this 10 if I could.
Beth
Had to read "Brokeback Mountain" for a book club, but decided to read some other stories too. This would not make a good Welcome to Wyoming required read for new residents, but it is great.
Janine
To be read with Texan drawl...loved it - short stores set in the mid-west - dry, isolated, people act different out there... the environment affects their relationships.
Mckinley
Seems like real Wyoming to me.
Howard
Feb 14, 2012 Howard added it
An great collection
Jamie Niedecker
Jamie Niedecker is currently reading it
Aug 01, 2014
Alli S
Alli S marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Megan
Megan is currently reading it
Jul 29, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Justin Hamm
Justin Hamm is currently reading it
Jul 16, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Monster
Monster marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Les kimball
Les kimball marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Happyreader1
Happyreader1 marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
  • Waterlog: A Swimmer's Journey Through Britain
  • PrairyErth (A Deep Map)
  • The Josefina Story Quilt
  • Another Turn of the Crank
  • Taking Care
  • Hope, Human and Wild: True Stories of Living Lightly on the Earth
  • The Unexpected Universe
  • Athena (The Freddie Montgomery Trilogy, #3)
  • Dolly City
  • Bonjour Tristesse & A Certain Smile
  • The Legend of Colton H. Bryant
  • Jean Rhys: The Complete Novels (Voyage in the Dark, Quartet, After Leaving Mr Mackenzie, Good Morning, Midnight, Wide Sargasso Sea)
1262010
Also published as E. Annie Proulx
Edna Annie Proulx is an American journalist and author. Her second novel, The Shipping News (1993), won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and the National Book Award for fiction in 1994. Her short story "Brokeback Mountain" was adapted as an Academy Award, BAFTA and Golden Globe Award-winning major motion picture released in 2005. Brokeback Mountain received massive c...more
More about Annie Proulx...
The Shipping News Brokeback Mountain Close Range Accordion Crimes Postcards