Start by marking “Strange Highways” as Want to Read:
Strange Highways

Strange Highways

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  11,778 ratings  ·  153 reviews
One of the most popular and prolific writers of our time, Dean Koontz has penned many classic New York Times bestsellers, but nothing quite like this. STRANGE HIGHWAYS is Koontz's spellbinding collection of tales interconnected by the strange highways of human experience-the adventures, terrors, failures, and triumphs encountered on the roads that are chosen, and on those...more
Published September 29th 2002 by Warner Books (first published April 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Strange Highways, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strange Highways

Watchers by Dean KoontzOdd Thomas by Dean KoontzIntensity by Dean KoontzLightning by Dean KoontzLife Expectancy by Dean Koontz
Best Dean Koontz Books
52nd out of 69 books — 677 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerPet Sematary by Stephen King
Best Horror Novels
255th out of 1,199 books — 3,576 voters

More lists with this book...

Mike (the Paladin)
Yes! A 5 for a Koontz book! I really liked this odd little story.

Okay rereading for the Koontz group...I'll probably do a more extensive review after the discussion.

Originally I listened to an audio which had only the "title-title"...:). So now I have the book from the library and while I don't think each and every story measures up to Strange Highways, which is a favorite "novella", I still like the book. I plan to try and track it down (locally) and add it to my "home library."

I think I'll...more
Theresa Leone Davidson
I try not to give out five stars without really good reason, because in some way the book was outstanding, and this book of Koontz's short stories was outstanding and deserves the five star rating. Included are stories that deal with a bear with human intelligence (and a love for dancing), another about genetically altered rats, bigger than normal, more malevolent, and very smart, who trap a widow and her son in a farmhouse. One about a pumpkin that gives only what you deserve, as well as others...more
Kris Franzen
This is Koontz's collection of short stories. They are all awesome and some are very funny. The best was a very short story of a girl and cats. A must read!
Stefanie
This audio version is only the title story of Koontz's collection of short stories.

In Strange Highways our protagonist, Joey Shannon, lives in Las Vegas. When he runs out of money to buy liquor, he gets a job as a blackjack dealer until he has enough money to supply his addiction for awhile. Doesn’t particularly sound like someone you’re going to love by the end of the story, does he? But you will… or at least I did. In between drunken stupors, Joey laments over the shambles his life has become....more
Blake Bowers
This book is a compilation of short stories published at different points during Dean Koontz's career.Here is a brief synopsis and review of each short story....

Strange Highways: This story starts out with the main character, Joey going back to the home town that he hasn't seen for 20 years to attend his father's funeral. This story flows very well and doesn't ever slow down, from the beginning to the end.
After attending his father's funeral Joey is haunted by some of the things he has done in h...more
Jim
This was my first Dean Koontz read. This was mostly a good read.

The short-story collection was an easy in for me to sample his work. There was 1 novella's Strange Highways and Chase, i suspect is a novellette, about 50 pages. Some of the short-stories were great and some weren't. I enjoyed the afterward on Dean Koontz's writing and his support for short-stories.

The stories are very deep in Catholicism. Each story had great flow, it was easy to read, had clear descriptions, rich in page-turners,...more
Quentin Wallace
After reading this collection I wonder why Dean Koontz doesn't write more short stories because he's very good at it. I like his novels as well, but this collection of shorter fiction is probably my favorite Koontz book. There's probably something for everyone in this collection, as the subject matter of the stories varies. I think the title story is the best in the collection and some of the stories are better than others, but overall I would recommend this to anyone who likes short horror stor...more
Thee_ron_clark
Apr 15, 2008 Thee_ron_clark rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone.
This is a collection of short stories and novelettes by Dean koontz. I must say that I enjoyed every story in it, some more than others. At first, I was puzzled by the numerous mentions of the Vietnam War until I discovered that some of the stories were written in the 60's. For those looking to experience Dean Koontz as an author, but not wanting to dive directly into a lengthier book this is a great choice.
Charles
This is a collection of Koontz's shorter stuff, along with a novella. It's very good. I don't think there's a clinker in the bunch.
Maciek
This is Koontz's only collection of short fiction, composed of the titular novella and twelve short tales (The US edition also includes another novella, "Chase").

The novella is perhaps the best of the whole bunch; mostly because it's almost 200 pages long and simply has enough time and space to provide for an interesting plot. A strange occurence offers a man a chance to change his past; it's a formulaic Koontz tale, but strong enough reading to sustain interest and keep the suspense throughout...more
Drea Hart

So much dislike. So. Much. I wrote this review ages ago and it still holds true:

So, I finished Everything's Eventual and I have to say I was quite pleased, as usual, with the varied subjects and...you know...King-ness stuff. The real problems began when I realized that if I went out and bought a new book I would be hacking into my Christmas list. If left to their own devices and not provided a detailed list my family will buy me clothes or ::::shudder:::: feel good movies on DVD. You can see th...more
Jeff
Strange Highways was my first experience reading Dean Koontz. I found that I enjoyed his writing style. Strange Highways is a collection that consists of fourteen short stories. Some of the stories are definitely better than others. I began reading Strange Highways by reading the shortest of the stories in the collection first, and then working my way up to the longer stories. When you begin, don’t let the shortness of the story Kittens fool you, though. I was shocked and disturbed by that very...more
Dustin
Aug 31, 2014 Dustin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dustin by: Holly

As many of you know, I'm not really a fan of Koontz's more recent work, but I've loved most of his earlier writings and this collection certainly qualifies.
Jeff Yrmom
Jul 10, 2007 Jeff Yrmom added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: jerks
That's right. No stars. Not because this is a particularly bad book, but because I'm selecting it to represent ALL Dean Koontz books. He sucks. Plain and simple. I could write better stories accidently while cleaning up a Scrabble game. This jerk can write an entire chapter on the color of the kitchen cabinets. Honestly, who's he writing to, Martha Stewart worshippers?
Jim C
This is a collection of short stories and novellas from Dean Koontz. Length of these stories differ from 6 pages to over a hundred pages. I believe with any collection of stories my rating will most likely be three stars. I find that there will be stories I really enjoy and some that I do not. I hope the number of stories I enjoy will be more than the ones I do not like. This was the case with this collection.

This collection had stories ranging from a second chance for redemption to genetic enha...more
Kevin Lake
Sorry folks, but I just don't like Koontz' writing style. Too repetitive, his characters are cardboard cutouts to whom he attributes the same speech patterns to all. I've read half a dozen of his works now and the only one that I found remotely worth the time was "Lightning."
Kate
Dean Koontz's short stories don't quite rival those of Stephen King, but they were very good. I liked the one called "Kittens."
Lakota Schultz
I have read this book about 5 times, but hadn't read it for about 6 years, and oh my, if forgotten how good it was!!
This was written in my favourite Koontz publication years, and is full of suspense and mystery without being boring or nonsensical or full of random quotes like the Odd series.

This has a thrilling edge, a shockingly bad bad guy, a fallen hero, and a very cool but enigmatic heroine..... But not as weird as his newer stuff.

It's made me want to go back and read the rest of my 80's and...more
Rose fell
This is the book that started it all for me!!! A must read...but keep the light on...you've been warned!
Sharleen Harlow
Oh my God. What have I been doing all of my life? Why on earth have I not read Dean Koontz before?? WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME??? *Bangs head repeatedly against brick wall*.

When I have read books of short stories before, I have always thoroughly enjoyed them, but there have been one or two 'dud' stories. Oh no. Not here. Every single story was brilliant!!

I swear that my boyfriend thinks I'm turning onto a fish with the amount of time I've spent with my mouth hanging wide open and gasping!!

Five star...more
Kristin
This book has one of the best short stories I have ever read in it.
Trisha
Johnny
Nikki
Instead of a novel, Koontz presents us with short stories and novellas in this edition of his work. I have never read anything of his that wasn't a full length novel and had no idea of what I was picking up when I grabbed this to read. I like to kind of walk into books without knowing too much about them so I can discover them with no pre-conceived notions, as long as they are from an author I have read before. Since I have read numerous other Koontz books, I thought I knew what I was getting in...more
Rissy
Kitten Kisser
This is a great thick hard cover book filled with short stories by Dean Koontz. He is entertaining & suspenseful as usual. If you don't want to have to commit yourself to a long novel, then this book is perfect! It's also great if you don't have a lot of space considering you get lots of little stories in one place. I am a huge fan of Koontz. His older works are far superior to the newer stuff of the past 10 years or so. This is a must have!
Amy
I love this author, and this is a compilation of short stories which he doesn't do generally, so this was fun. Some of these stories date back quite a ways - one or two farther back than the year I was born, so it's fun to see some of these older scribblings. In rating a short story book, I give each story a rating and take the overall average for the rating, so a couple are actually better, some worse than the overall. The first story is Strange Highways, and is more of a novelette and got the...more
Sal
Its been a long time since I've read anything scary. & it takes a lot to scare me where books are concerned. The first two stories in this book had me spooked. The other stories weren't as scary. But they were all fun to read. I'm not usually a fan of short stories. But this book of short stories was great! If you love a good scare, or like super nateral stories then this is the book for you!
John Orman
This large book collects two novels (Strange Highways and Chase), and twelve novelettes/short stories from the master of imaginative fiction, Dean Koontz.

The strange highways cover routes chosen, detours forced, and wrong roads taken. They are peopled with unlikely heroes, fearsome predators, and even suspiciously humanoid robots.

I liked Black Pumpkin, a scary tale of "getting what you give", delivered by a haunted killer pumpkin.

In Snatcher, a stolen purse turns out to contain a demon, who drag...more
Iwan Sutisna
Someone once said "Dean Koontz is a Dean of thriller and suspense!" well, I think this is one of those books he wrote taht makes him earned that title. A title sadly have long lost in his recent writings. This collections of short stories and 2 novellas, Dean Koontz at his best. We get to see a funny stories, thrilling stories, thrilling and also funny stories depends on ways of your perspective in reading. And what shocking me is there's also one story, "Twilight of the Dawn" that looks like ta...more
  • The House of Thunder
  • The Funhouse
  • Nightmare Journey
  • Dragonfly
  • Blood Risk (Tucker Series, #1)
  • The Rip-Off
  • The Dean Koontz Companion
  • Fountain Society
  • Predators
  • In the Flesh (Books of Blood, #5)
  • Sleepwalk

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na...more
More about Dean Koontz...
Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) Watchers Intensity Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2) Phantoms

“Darkness dwells within even the best of us. In the worst of us, darkness not only dwells but reins.” 38 likes