Start by marking “Strange Highways” as Want to Read:
Strange Highways

Strange Highways

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  13,185 ratings  ·  204 reviews
One of the most popular and prolific writers of our time, Dean Koontz has penned many classic New York Times bestsellers, but nothing quite like this. STRANGE HIGHWAYS is Koontz's spellbinding collection of tales interconnected by the strange highways of human experience-the adventures, terrors, failures, and triumphs encountered on the roads that are chosen, and on those ...more
Published September 29th 2002 by Warner Books (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Strange Highways, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strange Highways

Watchers by Dean KoontzOdd Thomas by Dean KoontzIntensity by Dean KoontzLightning by Dean KoontzLife Expectancy by Dean Koontz
Best Dean Koontz Books
50th out of 72 books — 723 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingSalem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerPet Sematary by Stephen King
Best Horror Novels
248th out of 1,275 books — 3,975 voters

More lists with this book...

Theresa Leone Davidson
I try not to give out five stars without really good reason, because in some way the book was outstanding, and this book of Koontz's short stories was outstanding and deserves the five star rating. Included are stories that deal with a bear with human intelligence (and a love for dancing), another about genetically altered rats, bigger than normal, more malevolent, and very smart, who trap a widow and her son in a farmhouse. One about a pumpkin that gives only what you deserve, as well as others ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Yes! A 5 for a Koontz book! I really liked this odd little story.

Okay rereading for the Koontz group...I'll probably do a more extensive review after the discussion.

Originally I listened to an audio which had only the "title-title"...:). So now I have the book from the library and while I don't think each and every story measures up to Strange Highways, which is a favorite "novella", I still like the book. I plan to try and track it down (locally) and add it to my "home library."

I think I'll
Barbara
Satanism, deals with the devil, time travel, dysfunctional alcoholic - really? I was confused in the beginning of the book, and by the end dissatisfied. I won't be reading any more Dean Koontz. If I want horror (which I rarely indulge in), I'll read Stephen King.
Blake Bowers
This book is a compilation of short stories published at different points during Dean Koontz's career.Here is a brief synopsis and review of each short story....

Strange Highways: This story starts out with the main character, Joey going back to the home town that he hasn't seen for 20 years to attend his father's funeral. This story flows very well and doesn't ever slow down, from the beginning to the end.
After attending his father's funeral Joey is haunted by some of the things he has done in h
Quentin Wallace
After reading this collection I wonder why Dean Koontz doesn't write more short stories because he's very good at it. I like his novels as well, but this collection of shorter fiction is probably my favorite Koontz book. There's probably something for everyone in this collection, as the subject matter of the stories varies. I think the title story is the best in the collection and some of the stories are better than others, but overall I would recommend this to anyone who likes short horror stor ...more
Kris Franzen
This is Koontz's collection of short stories. They are all awesome and some are very funny. The best was a very short story of a girl and cats. A must read!
Stefanie
This audio version is only the title story of Koontz's collection of short stories.

In Strange Highways our protagonist, Joey Shannon, lives in Las Vegas. When he runs out of money to buy liquor, he gets a job as a blackjack dealer until he has enough money to supply his addiction for awhile. Doesn’t particularly sound like someone you’re going to love by the end of the story, does he? But you will… or at least I did. In between drunken stupors, Joey laments over the shambles his life has become.
Jim
This was my first Dean Koontz read. This was mostly a good read.

The short-story collection was an easy in for me to sample his work. There was 1 novella's Strange Highways and Chase, i suspect is a novellette, about 50 pages. Some of the short-stories were great and some weren't. I enjoyed the afterward on Dean Koontz's writing and his support for short-stories.

The stories are very deep in Catholicism. Each story had great flow, it was easy to read, had clear descriptions, rich in page-turners,
Timothy Hicks
Strange Highways:

The beginning set up for this story was right up my alley... It had that eerie and expectant feeling you get when you watch a good Twilight Zone episode. Joey Shannon, a lowlife alcoholic, returns to the place he grew up, a near abandoned coal mining town, to bury his recently deceased father, whom he hasn't seen in 20 years. All the while some repressed memory, of one fateful night, two decades ago keeps coming back to the surface of his mind... Joey will finally get a second c
Thee_ron_clark
Apr 15, 2008 Thee_ron_clark rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone.
This is a collection of short stories and novelettes by Dean koontz. I must say that I enjoyed every story in it, some more than others. At first, I was puzzled by the numerous mentions of the Vietnam War until I discovered that some of the stories were written in the 60's. For those looking to experience Dean Koontz as an author, but not wanting to dive directly into a lengthier book this is a great choice.
Dustin
Aug 31, 2014 Dustin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dustin by: Holly

As many of you know, I'm not really a fan of Koontz's more recent work, but I've loved most of his earlier writings and this collection certainly qualifies.
Charles
This is a collection of Koontz's shorter stuff, along with a novella. It's very good. I don't think there's a clinker in the bunch.
FDeroche
1. Srange Highways - P.J. Shannon chases his younger brother, Joey, and Celeste Baker (girl found at his empty dad's grave, Dan Shannon). Coal Valley Road in Pittsburg. P.J. coal mining has killed many families & 3 are left in Coal Valley. P.J. is Judas, the Betrayer, 13th apostle..... Joey & Celeste are chased with a final death(s) at St. Thomas concerned with the P.J.'s flame of Judas. Chase scenes are long and some seemed to repeat...

2. The Black Pumpkin - A elderly crazy sculptor car
Maciek
This is Koontz's only collection of short fiction, composed of the titular novella and twelve short tales (The US edition also includes another novella, "Chase").

The novella is perhaps the best of the whole bunch; mostly because it's almost 200 pages long and simply has enough time and space to provide for an interesting plot. A strange occurence offers a man a chance to change his past; it's a formulaic Koontz tale, but strong enough reading to sustain interest and keep the suspense throughout
Drea Hart

So much dislike. So. Much. I wrote this review ages ago and it still holds true:

So, I finished Everything's Eventual and I have to say I was quite pleased, as usual, with the varied subjects and...you know...King-ness stuff. The real problems began when I realized that if I went out and bought a new book I would be hacking into my Christmas list. If left to their own devices and not provided a detailed list my family will buy me clothes or ::::shudder:::: feel good movies on DVD. You can see th
Jeff
Strange Highways was my first experience reading Dean Koontz. I found that I enjoyed his writing style. Strange Highways is a collection that consists of fourteen short stories. Some of the stories are definitely better than others. I began reading Strange Highways by reading the shortest of the stories in the collection first, and then working my way up to the longer stories. When you begin, don’t let the shortness of the story Kittens fool you, though. I was shocked and disturbed by that very ...more
Jerrod Carter
Well, I didn't know what to expect since I hadn't ever read a Dean Koontz novel before, but I know I wasn't expecting this. I wasn't sure where he was going with it for a while, but liked where it went. It was a little bit predictable in that I was usually anticipating things about two chapters ahead, but he threw in a few twists at the end that had me surprised. I liked it and will probably read another of his books before it's all over. Dude has written a lot of books!
Keith
Overall this was an enjoyable collection of stories.

Includes: Strange Highways, Miss Atilla the Hun, We Three, The Night of the Storm, Bruno, Hardshell, Snatcher, Kittens, Chase, Ollie's Hands, The Black Pumpkin, Down in the Darkness, Twilight of the Dawn and Trapped.
Emily
I just finished rereading this collection of short stories by Dean Koontz and it just reminds me of how much better I feel his earlier writing is. While some stories were better than others there wasn't a bad apple in the bunch. Kittens is still my fave, I have a deep need for justice and it was served here in a most disturbing way. I loved Chase, the Black Pumpkin, Trapped, Strange Highways, and Twilight of the Dawn. All so different. My least favorite was Ollie's Hands, I just found it stiflin ...more
Samyann
Read by Jeff Cummings, Strange Highway is just over six hours of listening. Typical of Dean Koontz this story is hide-under-the-covers scary stuff. The plot is intriguing. A guy is stuck in a time warp, initially bouncing back to his youth to right some wrongs. I don’t usually even purchase books less than ten hours in length, and actually purchased Strange Highway simply because it’s a Koontz. Good story.

The reader is a teeny bit intense for my taste, but whatever. It’s an intense, spooky tale
Jessica
I gotta admit it's been years since I have have read anything by Dean Koontz. When I was in high school I read every book of his that I could find in our small town library-- yup, really, really loved his stories back then. In reading this I was quickly reminded why he was one of my favorite authors. The title story 'Strange Highways' (novella/short novel length) in this collection is dark, thrilling and satisfying. It moved swiftly, spiriting me along and the tension humming along the way was q ...more
Tom Mueller
A short story collection of mostly early Koontz ("Kittens" was originally published in 1966; the first Dean ever sold commercially, while still in college). Two short novels are included; "Strange Highways" (first published here) and "Chase" (earlier published under his psuedonym, K.R. Dwyer). I like to become as familiar as I can with an author I'm a fan of, and that includes getting to know the author's early work. I like seeing the progression of the author's craft, character and story develo ...more
Jeff Yrmom
Jul 10, 2007 Jeff Yrmom added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: jerks
That's right. No stars. Not because this is a particularly bad book, but because I'm selecting it to represent ALL Dean Koontz books. He sucks. Plain and simple. I could write better stories accidently while cleaning up a Scrabble game. This jerk can write an entire chapter on the color of the kitchen cabinets. Honestly, who's he writing to, Martha Stewart worshippers?
Jim C
This is a collection of short stories and novellas from Dean Koontz. Length of these stories differ from 6 pages to over a hundred pages. I believe with any collection of stories my rating will most likely be three stars. I find that there will be stories I really enjoy and some that I do not. I hope the number of stories I enjoy will be more than the ones I do not like. This was the case with this collection.

This collection had stories ranging from a second chance for redemption to genetic enha
Kevin Lake
Sorry folks, but I just don't like Koontz' writing style. Too repetitive, his characters are cardboard cutouts to whom he attributes the same speech patterns to all. I've read half a dozen of his works now and the only one that I found remotely worth the time was "Lightning."
Aaron
Quite a few quality short stories in this collection. 'Chase' is the only real snoozer in the bunch and 'Bruno' is too silly to stomach. Loved "Twilight of the Dawn," "The Black Pumpkin," and "Down in the Darkness."
Brandon Burrup
This was my first Dean Koontz novel and it may be my last. Wasn't terrible by any means but I was expecting a lot more based on the reviews and ratings I saw online. The bizarre jumps in the logic from Joey along the way were distracting and kept pulling me out of the story. I found the book way too full of cliches as well that just frustrated me and kept me from enjoying what could have been an interesting story. Had the author spent a little more time on giving PJ a more believable motive rath ...more
Kate
Dean Koontz's short stories don't quite rival those of Stephen King, but they were very good. I liked the one called "Kittens."
Lakota Schultz
I have read this book about 5 times, but hadn't read it for about 6 years, and oh my, if forgotten how good it was!!
This was written in my favourite Koontz publication years, and is full of suspense and mystery without being boring or nonsensical or full of random quotes like the Odd series.

This has a thrilling edge, a shockingly bad bad guy, a fallen hero, and a very cool but enigmatic heroine..... But not as weird as his newer stuff.

It's made me want to go back and read the rest of my 80's and
Rose fell
This is the book that started it all for me!!! A must read...but keep the light on...you've been warned!
  • The Voice of the Night
  • Fountain Society
  • King Blood: The Armchair Detective Library
  • The Door to December

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...
Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) Watchers Intensity Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2) Phantoms

“Darkness dwells within even the best of us. In the worst of us, darkness not only dwells but reins.” 45 likes