Start by marking “The Eyes of Darkness” as Want to Read:
The Eyes of Darkness

The Eyes of Darkness

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  12,538 ratings  ·  251 reviews
A year after little Danny's death, his mother swore she saw him in a stranger's car...It was a mystery she could not escape. An obsession that would lead her from the bright lights of Las Vegas to the cold shadows of the High Sierras. A terrible secret seen only by...The Eyes Of Darkness.
Published July 1st 1996 by Berkley (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Eyes of Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eyes of Darkness

Odd Thomas by Dean KoontzWatchers by Dean KoontzIntensity by Dean KoontzLightning by Dean KoontzLife Expectancy by Dean Koontz
Best Dean Koontz Books
49th out of 75 books — 733 voters
Watchers by Dean KoontzOdd Thomas by Dean KoontzLightning by Dean KoontzIntensity by Dean KoontzBrother Odd by Dean Koontz
Dean Koontz's Greatest Hits
53rd out of 69 books — 109 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeremy Bates
Dean Koontz is one of the world’s best paid author’s (bringing in more than twenty five million annually!), which means everybody who’s interested in books has probably read him–which is why I didn’t choose to review one of his more popular works like Watchers.

Eyes of Darkness isn’t my favorite Dean Koontz book, but it was one of his early ones, which I think is a good place to start with Koontz. If you don’t know, DK fist began writing sci-fi, and was sometimes publishing up to eight books a ye
Better than good but less than great, THE EYES OF DARKNESS is an updated version of a book previously published under a Koontz pseudonym during his early writing period, back when he was producing a new novel every other month or so. While reading these early books, you definitely get the sense that his writing speed outpaced his ability to come up with new ideas, and it's readily apparent that all the major elements and themes found in THE EYES OF DARKNESS were later recycled into other Koontz ...more
This book has gotten many negative reviews - so I guess I'm easily entertained because I loved it! I'm a mom so maybe the whole 'grieving mother goes to any extreme to save her kid' thing really appealed to me? Of course, there was the excitement of the chase - typical of so many Dean Koontz novels. There was also the 'weird and unbelievable' aspects to it, but that is why I love to read Dean Koontz! It's amazing to me how he can weave a tale so crazy that when I try to explain what I'm reading ...more
Just not worth the time and paper, with an utterly lame ending. NEXT
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
Feb 08, 2012 Dustin Crazy little brown owl marked it as humor-me-and-tell-me-lies  ·  review of another edition
"Don't be silly, Billy." - Tina Evans

This book is so humorous, but the funny thing is - it's not supposed to be :-)

I loved the paranormal aspect of this NOT DEAD idea with the message coming through so many forms and the icy drop in temperature.

The dialogue is pretty bad. I did like the action toward the end and the events occurring (view spoiler) but after the action is over, the book ends rather abruptly.

Chapter 9 i
Hmmm, while not a terrible book I just didn't enjoy it I feel. The plot was a tad meandering, I'm all for twists and drastic changes to storylines but I think this book didn't know what it was. From the start it plays like a supernatural or paranormal story then at the end it's a biological warfare story. Mind you, Koontz, in an Afterword, mentions it wasn't one of his better books, at least he's honest :)
Mike (the Paladin)
You know...the best part of this book is the "afterward" where Mr. Koontz goes into the nonsense that went on in trying to bring this book and some of his others into TV adaptions.

The novel itself? Well for a thriller it's a bit slow, wooden and there's way too much book for the story it tells. Maybe if the book were about a third shorter it would be better.

Written under a pseudonym (Dean Koontz as Leigh Nichols) it was one of several books he wrote this way. Later he "punched them up" and re-re
If the kid in this book can crash helicopters and make guns not work with his mind, I submit he could escape from his captors without his mom's help. Also, he could write something less cryptic than just "not dead" on the chalkboard of his room.
J.S. Bailey
This was the first Dean Koontz book I ever read, directly leading to my Koontz addiction. :)
A little bit ridiculous
Nov 21, 2010 Hannah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes psychological thrillers
This is my first book by Dean Koontz and I will most definitely be reading more by him. As explained in his new afterword, this book is quite different from his other books, which only intrigues me to try another one!

Just basic Koontz, really -- not that that's a bad thing, obviously. The Eyes Of Darkness is a mixture of thriller, action, suspense, romance and supernatural, but nothing REALLY shone out too brightly. The characters are ok, the plot is ok, the dialouge is ok... it's all just ok. The ending is absurdly abrupt, however, and anticlimactic, and left me questioning why certain characters and parts of the book had been included.
If you're new to Koontz you may like it, though I would recommend Shad
Phine Hazelbag
I enjoyed reading this book, but it was not original. I bought this book, because I wanted to read horror, but it wasn't what I expected. I didn't like the action-part
This book was originally copyrighted under Dean Koontz' pseudonym, Leigh Nichols, as were his other early works. It has since been reprinted numerous times in later editions.

Danny Evans, 12 yrs. old, is the son of Christine Evans, a divorcee dating an attorney, Elliott Stryker. Christine is the producer of a new Las Vegas show.

Danny goes on a camping trip in a bus with a group of boy scouts & scout leaders into the NV wilderness. Authorities later tell their families that the bus veered off

This is my first books by Dean Koontz and I will most definitely be reading more by him. As explained in his new afterword, this book is quite different from his other books, which only intrigues me to read more.

This book follows Christina Evans, mother to Danny. Danny died one year ago in a tragic camping accident when his entire boy scout troop and all of the chaperones were killed. However, now Tina's nightmare is only just beginning. She is having treacherous dreams at night, strange happeni
Not as, leave the lights on scary, as some of his more recent novels but very good. Tina is just starting to get over the death of her young son, Danny, when she starts to have nightmares and sees things that cause her to question his death.
Fast paced, with Tina and Eliot trying to out smart a covert, secret government agency, to find her son.
Koontz does not disappoint.
Dee Toomey
I enjoyed this book as entertaining. This story was originally written under a psydonymn, and he has reworked it and released it now under Koontz. There is some adult content that usually one wouldn't see in a Koontz book. This is a story of intrique and national secracy...and not as much paranormal stuff like you would usually read in a Koontz book. I enjoyed it.
This was the first Dean Koontz book that I read way back when I was in my tweens. I was then trying out new book genres and was surprised to see that I actually enjoyed this one. Though the plotline was pretty shallow and the romance absurd, I would have to admit that in my 11-year old mind, it was the book that started my addiction to Dean Koontz books.

This book was originally published in 1971 under a nom de plume, then re-issued in 1996, using Koontz's name, presumably revised & updated.

I just gave Breathless 3 stars, & this was MUCH better. So while there is nothing amazingly outstanding about this book, I feel compelled to draw the distinctions.

This is definitely a page-turner; if that's all you need out of a book, you've found it. And the characters are much more sympathetic & relatable than some of Koontz's protagon
It was a fast and easy read, some aspects were pretty easy to predict and the heroine bought into the supernatural aspect way too easily, but it was a good read. And true to form, Koontz used his favorite item, the lock release gun,lol.
This book was released & re-written by Koontz. So I'm re-reading it, however my Dog (not my dad) ate the front and back of the book plus the last few pages. Argh!
This is an earlier book of Dean Koontz. He wrote this under a pseudonym "Leigh Nichols". No matter. It is definitely Dean Koontz. He is one of my absolute favorite authors of all time. This book does not disappoint in any way. Involving romance,paranormal,suspense,government cover ups-and the absolute unending love of a mother who never gave up her goal. To find and be reunited with her son. Not one for giving plots out I will zip it.... :) . I highly recommend this book. It is so good as only D ...more
This earlier book of Koontz reminds me why I became a fan.
Koontz is always masterful, a great read!
Δεύτερο βιβλίο του Ντιν Κουντζ μέσα στον μήνα, λίγο καλύτερο από το πρώτο, αλλά και πάλι με απογοήτευσε προς το τέλος.

Η Τίνα είναι μια νέα γυναίκα που δουλεύει σαν σκηνοθέτης μουσικοχορευτικών παραστάσεων σε ξενοδοχεία στο Λας Βέγκας, και μόλις είχε αρχίσει να ξεπερνάει τον τραγικό θάνατο τους δωδεκάχρονου γιους της, ένα χρόνο πριν, σε ένα τραγικό αυτοκινητιστικό δυστύχημα στη διάρκεια μιας σχολικής εκδρομής σε κάτι βουνά. Και ξαφνικά άρχισε να δέχεται μηνύματα που λένε ότι ο Ντάνι, ο γιος της,
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
Dean Koontz is one of my favourite contemporary authors, so it was a major let down for me to discover that The Eyes of Darkness was a disappointing read.

The story begins with the death of young Danny Evans in an accident that also took the lives of many other school aged boys while on an excursion in the mountains. A year later, his Mum Tina begins to receive messages that say 'not dead'. Meanwhile, Tina meets a new love interest Elliot and together they try and untangle the mystery to get to t
Tina's son Daniel died at the age of 12 in a scouting accident. He and his whole troop, on a snow-filled wilderness adventure, were in a terrible bus accident with no survivors. Daniel's body was so badly mangled, so she was told, that it was ill advised to view his body. She and her ex-husband took that advice. Now, a year later, Tina is either losing her mind or something more sinister is happening. Strange things keep happening to her and all seem to indicate that either someone is trying to ...more
Jane Stewart
Weak 3 stars. Good action and suspense. Bad dialogue. Weak narrator.

Tina’s son Danny was on a field trip. The bus was in an accident and he died. The cops recommended she not view the body because it was mangled. She complied. The story begins a year later. A ghost or something paranormal is sending messages to Tina. The messages say “not dead.” She is also having dreams saying her son is not dead. She believes someone is playing pranks.

Tina meets Elliot an attorney. They are attract
  • The Voice of the Night
  • Winter Moon
  • The Mask
  • Shattered
  • Icebound
  • Hell's Gate

Leigh Nichols is a pen name of Dean R. Koontz / Dean Koontz.
More about Leigh Nichols...
The Key to Midnight The House of Thunder Shadowfires The Servants of Twilight Schattenfeuer / Tür ins Dunkel (Shadowfires / The Door to December)