Cold Fire

Cold Fire

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  14,998 ratings  ·  333 reviews
Now repackaged--the classic story of reporter Holly Thorne, who is intrigued by the strange, quiet Jim Ironheart. Jim has saved 12 lives in three months, and now Holly's falling in love with him. But what power compels an ordinary man to be a hero? Reissue.
Published December 7th 2004 by Berkley (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Cold Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Fire

Watchers by Dean KoontzOdd Thomas by Dean KoontzIntensity by Dean KoontzLightning by Dean KoontzLife Expectancy by Dean Koontz
Best Dean Koontz Books
28th out of 69 books — 673 voters
Watchers by Dean KoontzOdd Thomas by Dean KoontzLightning by Dean KoontzIntensity by Dean KoontzBrother Odd by Dean Koontz
Dean Koontz's Greatest Hits
22nd out of 67 books — 105 voters

More lists with this book...

Dustin Crazy little brown owl
This is the Dean Koontz I love! I listened to this as an audio book a few years ago and was thrilled to re-experience the story in print. Cold Fire was published in 1991, after The Bad Place and before Koontz starting coming out with 2-3 novels each year. Some issues examined in Cold Fire include: Environmentalism, Religion and Mental Illness. Like many Koontz novels, this work crosses over many genres including: Science Fiction, Mystery, Suspense and Adventure.

It appears that Koontz has created...more
Mark
Here is another to join the shelf entitled new authors I have encountered through Goodreads friends. In a line from left to right where extreme left is ' absolutely brilliant ' and extreme right is ' oh in the Name of all that's holy what the hell was that supposed to be ' Mr Koontz sits fairly squarely in the middle. I am pleased to have read one of his enormous works...over 500 pages....but as always with these multi-tomed writers, having seen so many on the bookshop shelves I was always hopin...more
Lu
Hrm. Again, grown-up books are tricky. I've really been trying to find some I can appreciate, but this one didn't measure up. It was a suspense/mystery/pseudo sci-fi thriller type. And it was written by Dean Koontz who gets at least one whole shelf to himself at my tiny library.

This is the story of a man who somehow knows the future--he doesn't control when he'll know or what he'll know: but each time he follows the "directions" he saves someone's life.

Then he meets a reporter for a small time...more
Tara Chevrestt
This was my first Koontz and I have always credited it with getting me hooked on the horror/mystery genre. The characters were realistic and likable. The romance between them despite their frightening situation in the windmill was superb. Never forgot it.
J.S. Bailey
HOLY CRAP THIS BOOK WAS AWESOME.

I have read a lot of Koontz. And I mean a LOT. He is my most-read author. I have now read more than thirty of his novels, and I plan to read many more.

This one was different. It was like an acid trip. I have never actually been on an acid trip, but I would imagine that being on one is somewhat like reading this novel. (Did I even read this novel? Am I really J. S. Bailey? Or am I really a forty-five-year-old man named Biff tied up in a straight jacket staring out...more
Mike (the Paladin)
This is another one of those books that I think started out well. I liked the way it was unfolding, I liked the main character (though he was quite shallowly drawn) and I was really quite annoyed with Holly.

To be annoyed with a character there has to be something there. In this case she was a little more solid than Jim, even if annoying.

Unfortunately soon I was thinking "oh, are we going here?" And, we did. This isn't a bad book, but it could have been so much more. Koontz is a good writer and...more
Patrice Hoffman
I really enjoyed reading this book. There was constant action and mystery. I've always enjoyed Dean Koontz writing and this book reminded me of all the things I loved about him since the first book of his I read. All through out the book I was really rooting for the main character. He's a likeable enough guy. Plus, who wouldn't appreciate a guy who risks his life to save people he's never met before.
At first, I thought that the female charachter was annoying. But, in most novels, there has to b...more
Becky
as usual I like koontz.

I put this story down in order to read a few new others to my collection. Once I picked the book back up, immediately I was caught and drawn right back into the story of a man who saves people by intuition and woman reporter who is trying to find the tale. At first I didn't think this story would keep my attention, but because it is a Koontz I thought to try it - not a dissapointment!

It became a little mind binding by the end. One moment it is miracles, then it's extratere...more
Tanja
Remy
I got almost halfway finished, but I couldn't bear it. Really terrible book. I only read it because that is all I had on the way back from Paris.
Sarah Rios
Anthony Policastro
In Dean Koontz’s Cold Fire, the author introduces his two primary characters – Jim Ironheart and Holly Thorne – by way of a series of heroic adventures. When Jim saves the lives of Billy Jenkins, in Portland, Oregon, and Lisa and Susan Jawolski, in the Mojave desert, and several other people, he falls into the radar, and into the scrutiny of Holly Thorne, a reporter for the Portland Press. Of course, Jim has special powers – he is somewhat of a mentalist or a psychic – and, thus, Holly soon disc...more
Sally Wolf
Holly Thorne’s life and job as a reporter was at a stalemate until she meets a mysterious Good Samaritan named Jim Ironheart. Right before her eyes, he plucks a young boy from the street just minutes before a deadly truck comes sailing over the crest of a hill. Captivated by his blue eyes and humble manner she decides to use her skills as a reporter to track him down. What she finds was more bizarre then she could have imagined. The boy is not Jim’s only heroic act; stories all over the wire te...more
Heidi Tighe
Ah, you gotta love Dean Koontz. I love how his stories often start out as thick, rich, larger-than-life mysteries, (what follows is a semi-spoiler.) (view spoiler)

It was clear to me that this was one of his earlier works. He ha...more
Kelly
This book was a different kind of Koontz. A majority of his books have a vicious killer in them but this one is about a good guy for a change (but he does experience some dark evil encounters).

Basically, the main character has this amazing gift that at any given moment he gets a vibe that he needs to do something. But its always one step at a time. For example he will drop everything he is doing and jump in a cab. Then he realizes he needs to be to an airport, then looking at the flight board th...more
Cherie
Holy crap this is a great book! Read it, read it, read it! I finished this book in exactly three days. I couldn't put it down. Fast paced from the word go. It's about an ex-school teacher who gets these premonitions that bad things are going to happen and he has to go stop them, even if it's across the country. But don't worry, he's rich so he can do that. Yes, this book is brain candy, but you won't ever regret reading it. At first you think he's getting these messages from God, then you think...more
Kel Happylady
Jade
Let me first start off by saying that Dean Koontz is someone I turn to whenever I’m looking for a light yet frightening read. I don’t expect his books to be amazingly good literary works with deep characters, lots of development, intricate plot twists, and so on. I expect his books to be scary, page-turning, and enjoyable to read. But unfortunately, that said…

This book was quite a disappointment to me. It started off as most of Koontz’ books do: characters with predictable names are introduced,...more
Angela~twistedmind~
Mar 08, 2012 Angela~twistedmind~ rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of psychological thrillers
I just love this author! There are very few authors iincluded in my favorites but he is right up there at the top. Even his more lackluster stories are, more times than not, better than most. The man can spin a tale. So imaginative. So thought provoking with his random profound statements, some of which make you proud to belong to the human race, some that rock your convictions to the core. Such twists. Such turns. I was happily putting along, about 2/3 finished with this one and BAM I'm hit wit...more
Tracy Walters
This book had me staying up til the wee hours of the morning to finish it.....it was GREAT!!!.....Jim Ironheart is a very intriguing and fascinating character......there is a part in the book about a plane crash that will make your heart beat out of your chest because it is so intense.....I found myself not breathing a few times because I was sucked into the story and felt like I was living thru it.......there was a part towards the end that WAS going to piss me off because I thought it was goin...more
Patrick Gibson
There was a time when I thought Dean Koontz wrote circles around Stephen King. He wasn’t famous. He had a cult following and he made you feel like you just discovered someone cool. He was the anti-King you could keep to yourself or share with a selected few. Koontz, of course, went the way of all flesh and began cranking them out and repeating himself. Fame? Well, if ‘Family Guy’ rips on you, fame has become your enemy. I haven’t read a Koontz novel since Odd Thomas became a regular character. T...more
Ryan Mishap
I devoured Koontz and King back in middle school and part of high school. In retrospect, I could have spent my time on better books, but these chillers were an escape from things I didn't want to think about, especially at night when I couldn't sleep and my mind twisted my perceptions nauseatingly.
I'm not saying you should bother reading these, especially now that Koontz is openly being Christian and Stephen King thinks he is a writer, but I have a fondness for some of these books. If you are...more
Janet
I really liked the first three quarters of this book. Somehow all this business about the enemy was just too much like sci-fi. Mr. Kuntz often treads the line between these two genres quite successfully, but it's just getting harder for me to get involved in these scenarios. I think it's just me.
I also really missed the involvement of a wonderful, maybe even magical, dog. But that is just me.
The basic premise was great though. I love Jim Ironheart, including his name, and Holly Thorne, includin...more
Russell
This book is terrible. So terrible I can't even bring myself to finish it. If anyone recommends me this douche-bag author again I will probably spit in their faces.

Two years on I finally finish it. The last 50 pages wasn't so bad, but what I enjoyed most was the "Afterwords" section, it was the only time I enjoyed Dean Koontz writing.
Julie Decker
The nature of Jim's abilities are a mystery, but he knows WHAT they are: his premonitions allow him to save people from certain death. When Holly learns about Jim and wants to investigate what's really going on, she finds herself falling for the man much more than the story, and as the origins of his abilities begin to come to light, they're both--literally--pulled into the nightmares.

One thing I liked was that the person with unusual powers wasn't unassuming and scared all the time like a lot o...more
Marie
At first I was on the edge of my seat while reading this book. Soon, though, I felt betrayed by Koontz as he dragged me through a ridiculous conclusion to his well-begun tale. By the end of the book I couldn't have cared less about what happened to the characters.
Diane
Okay well I gave this one two stars because of the ending. I was enjoying the journey for most of the book, it kept my attention and I was eager to see where it would go. However, I really wanted a bam ending and I got a puff.
Raul Reyes
This is the Koontz I like. The one of the 80's and early 90's, the one combining sci-fi, psychological thriller, supernatural events, soft horror and superhero elements. The storyline is engaging and the pace is agile with unexpected turns. It has all the elements for all of those who want to read something quick and entertaining, and I'm sure that if somebody thought of producing a TV show based on the book, it would be a hell of a series.
I know some people crititze Koontz on the grounds that h...more
Charie La Marr
Not my favorite Koontz book ever. One of his earlier ones. I did enjoy it and the psychological story that it told. SPOILER His handling of the plane crash in the middle of the book was masterful. His detail was positively on target and brilliantly done. If for no other reason, that made the book worth reading. I would recommend it. As an author, that section seriously unblocked me with regards to one of my current projects. I see that the detail is what made the scene so powerful. You really ne...more
Rachel
Started out as an interesting read, went downhill about halfway through. My least liked Koontz book so far.
Should a sequel be written for this book? 10 42 Sep 09, 2014 02:44AM
Koontzland - Dean...: Cold Fire (Group Read - November 2011) 107 141 Aug 06, 2014 06:48PM
Koontzland - Dean...: Turn 'Cold Fire' into a TV Mini-Series? 18 42 Jan 29, 2013 10:19PM
  • Shadow Fires
  • The Funhouse
  • Dragonfly
  • Blood Risk (Tucker Series, #1)
  • Three Complete Novels: The Servants of Twilight / Darkfall / Phantoms
  • Predators
  • The Dean Koontz Companion
  • Second Child

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na...more
More about Dean Koontz...
Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) Watchers Intensity Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2) Phantoms

“A high degree of intelligence yes in no other creature in the natural world. That's why nature shuns us and why we subconsciously hate her and seek to obliterate her. High intelligence leads to the concept of progress. Progress leads to nuclear weapons, bio-engineering chaos and ultimately to annihilation.” 5 likes
“Snuggle down in my cocoon, be a butterfly soon.” 1 likes