Start by marking “Dolphin Luck” as Want to Read:
Dolphin Luck

Dolphin Luck (Porridge Hall Trilogy #3)

When Beany Robinson hears about the magic Viking sword that promises "Dolphin Luck", she knows she has to get some for her family, scattered due to her mother's illness. What happens to each family member before the Robinsons are reunited is at the heart of this witty companion to "Dog Friday" and "The Amber Cat".
Published (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Dolphin Luck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dolphin Luck

Cheryl Klein
Dec 05, 2010 Cheryl Klein rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, funny
Hilary McKay is probably my favorite living not-edited-by-me children's book author. Stylistically, she barrels right through much of what I think of as the rules of good storytelling, but she does it with such confidence and such unique payoffs that it leaves me questioning the rules and not *her*. If she wrote for adults, she'd be acclaimed as a comic genius and showered with prizes; as it is, I'm torn between trying to share her books with other people and keeping their pleasures for myself. ...more
Elizabeth
I really, really loved this, mainly because it is HILARIOUS.

It was wholly far-out--McKay's earlier books make more obvious use of kind of unbelievable coincidences and the supernatural, but they are just so in the tradition of "family adventure story" that I don't really mind. As with many books set/written just ten years prior to the present day, their timelessness is marred by the lack of mobile phones! Because so much of the playing out of the plot relies here on the fact that the kids end up
Jan 21, 2014 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this aloud to my son so much that I upped it a star from my original rating. I don't think I'd read it since its American publication in 1999, and I'd forgotten how funny it is -- it's definitely the best of the three Porridge Hall books. McKay writes in a style I like to think of as eccentric realism. Technically, everything that happens is possible, yet anything that can go strangely wrong will. The ending is just over the top absurd, almost in the manner of opera buffa -- mi ...more
Sue
May 26, 2015 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘Dolphin Luck’ is a sequel to ‘Dog Friday’. It’s the story of two families who live next door to each other and are close friends. Mrs Robinson has been very ill, which rather casts a blight over the family Christmas, as do subsequent events. Nevertheless, it manages to be an amusing romp, on the whole, cleverly written with a lot of insight into some very different children. Events are exaggerated, some people extreme caricatures, but there's still an impression of warm-heartedness and loyalty. ...more
Jul 23, 2013 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third book in the Porridge trilogy is brimming with sweetness and hilarity. Oh, how I love Hilary McKay! I can't recommend this children's author highly enough. She's got a zany imagination and a heart for mischievous children. Great stuff.
Franziska
Apr 30, 2016 Franziska rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a lovely, messy story and what a great end to the Porridge Hall trilogy! This was definitely my favourite book from the series, although I couldnt help feeling sorry for poor old Mrs Brogan, having to put up with all those children! Still a great read- and dont we all need some more dolphin luck in our lives? ...more
Laura McGinnis
Jan 15, 2016 Laura McGinnis rated it it was amazing
My second time reading this book, and I still couldn't put it down. Hilary McKay has a way of writing the most lovable, wacky characters you could imagine, and never ceases to leave me a little dazed and teary by the final page.
Highly recommended.
erica
Jun 21, 2016 erica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
third book in a trilogy, but a stand alone too. two families, a cold Yorkshire coast winter, a lot of silliness with some adventure and patience...my daughter & I enjoyed this!
The awesome one
Aug 29, 2013 The awesome one rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute and humerous short story that is perfect when you need a good laugh! This amusing story tells of the Robinson family, and the chaos that arouses when the family must separate for a week. Odd characters, interesting events, and a good sense of humor add up to make a gear story!
Debrarian
*Companion novel to Dog Friday and The Amber Cat
Sent by their vacationing parents to visit Mad Aunt Mabel, Perry and Ant have an adventure, while their younger siblings Sun Dance and Beany stay at home making burglar traps and searching for a magic sword.
Valerie
Aug 20, 2008 Valerie rated it really liked it
Very funny children's book by an excellent British writer. Realistic fiction about the adventures of four siblings. I recommend her books about the Casson family (starting with Saffy's Angel) too.
Mrs Bond
A funny tween/ya tale about what happens when mom and dad leave for a few days; based in the UK. A bit of a slow start, glad I stuck with it.
Maureen E
Nov 01, 2011 Maureen E rated it liked it
Third in the Dog Friday trilogy. My thoughts on Amber Cat could pretty much be repeated here. [July 2011]
Jun 20, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I read this book when I was around 12 or 13, and from what I remember it was really good.
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
LifeLoveGirl
LifeLoveGirl rated it it was ok
Aug 10, 2016
Triana
Triana rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Sheila Welch
Sheila Welch rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Kathy
Kathy added it
Jun 21, 2016
Tõnis Kasekamp
Tõnis Kasekamp rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Martha Waters
Martha Waters rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Monica Fastenau
Monica Fastenau rated it liked it
May 18, 2016
Lorri Biron
Lorri Biron marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Lily
Lily rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
Durra
Durra marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Andrew Vickers
Andrew Vickers marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Clare Hollowell
Clare Hollowell rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Hilary McKay was born in Boston, Lincolnshire and is the eldest of four girls. From a very early age she read voraciously and grew up in a household of readers. Hilary says of herself as a child "I anaesthetised myself against the big bad world with large doses of literature. The local library was as familiar to me as my own home."

After reading Botany and Zoology at St. Andrew's University Hilary
More about Hilary McKay...

Porridge Hall Trilogy (3 books)
  • Dog Friday