Start by marking “Shattered” as Want to Read:
Shattered

Shattered

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  12,156 ratings  ·  159 reviews
RUN... OR DIE

The van was in back of them again. Closer this time. There could be no mistake--they were being followed.

RUN... OR DIE

But why? The question kept nagging at Alex and Colin as they left Philadelphia behind and sped toward their new home in San Francisco. Courtney would be waiting for the, ready to begin a wonderful new life with her husband, her brother...

RUN...
Mass Market Paperback, 289 pages
Published February 15th 1985 by Berkley (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Shattered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shattered

Watchers by Dean KoontzOdd Thomas by Dean KoontzIntensity by Dean KoontzLightning by Dean KoontzLife Expectancy by Dean Koontz
Best Dean Koontz Books
40th out of 71 books — 717 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingThe Stand by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingDracula by Bram Stoker'Salem's Lot by Stephen King
The Definitive Horror Book List
264th out of 806 books — 1,121 voters

More lists with this book...

Edward Lorn
Apr 08, 2015 Edward Lorn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Thriller fans
Recommended to Edward by: Mom
I was once a kid, and my mother had this epic hideaway called the Great Book Closet. Inside this cabinet of curiosities, I would be introduced to the likes of Stephen King and Robert R. McCammon and Dean R. Koontz. I also found some Peter Straub and John Saul in there, but that holds no bearing on our topic today.

What is today's topic? Well, the old Black/Neon Koontz books, that's what. This is the era of Koontz material that was released in paperback by Berkley books in the 70s and 80s. There a
Johnny
Greta is Erikasbuddy
Summary:

Alex and Courtney just got married. Courtney is in San Francisco while Alex is in Philadelphia with he 11 year old brother Colin. Courtney is Colin's guardian ever since their parents died. The new family is now moving to California. Since Courtney is getting the house ready and got there early by plane that means Colin and Alex will drive the Thunderbird across country and maybe even bond a bit on the way.

George can't get his mind off of Courtney. Why did she leave him? How could she? A
Maciek
"Shattered" is an early Koontz title (1973), originally published under a pseudonym - K.R. Dwyer. Alex and Colin are on the move to Courtney, Colin's sister - and Alex's wife. The trip from Philadeplphia and San Francisco seems to be going good, until Colin spots a van following them.

It's a short, but pleasant book. I enjoyed the setting - most of the book takes place on the road and in various motels. It's a nice book to spend 2-3 hours reading. The ending is a let-down, but it's rather common
Marnie
This being my first Koontz read, I was a tad disappointed. It was a very predictable tale and after chapter 2 I knew how the story would end. Not what I Expected! I was hoping for a Thriller-Mystery with a twist that would spin everything around and an ending that would leave me wanting more. After all the raves and compliments given to Koontz, I guess I picked the wrong story.

I did like Koontz’s writing style nevertheless and I will try some of his other work, just not very soon.
Bandit
Early Koontz is almost solely responsible for my horror obsession. Before I found out about all the other amazing writers now gracing (weighing down to the point of bowing) my bookshelves, I read Koontz. His writing has gotten softer with age and his books now keep piling up in my TBR list, but I am a loyal fan and the man can write.
Solanaceae
Wow I am still reeling from the shock...but sadly the shock comes only from having just experienced such an uninspired and poorly written story.

It's bland. The whole thing feels...just dull. So dull that I actually couldn't come up with a simile that would do the dullness justice. I'm sure Stephen King would have a field day with this though being the simile addict he is.

The characters are unrealistic (especially the 11 year old boy who basically talks and acts like an adult throughout) and th
Alie
May 11, 2014 Alie added it
Alex Doyle is a 20 year old something man on his way to San Francisco. With him, is his girlfriends younger brother Colin. Colin and his older sister, Courtney, are still recovering from the deaths of there parents. Courtney is already at their home, waiting for Alex and Colin to make their trip across the desert and reach their new home. But they turn out having an unexpected horrifying trip there.
As Alex and Colin travel deeper into the desert, they discover a man does not want them to reach
Paul
Fairly standard fare, but only my second Dean Koontz. Reminded me a bit of the film Hitcher. The formula for a thriller is run through pretty well. Psychotic (or possibly just physically ill) ex-boyfriend. New love in life, new start on the other side of the country, cute child (in this case eleven year old brother), who is very intelligent but "difficult" in an undefined sort of way. Why not get the girl to fly to California and let the lads do a road trip to bond. Then psycho ex-boyfriend can ...more
Tee Jay
Apr 14, 2010 Tee Jay rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dean Koontz fans who want to check out his writing from early in his career.
Shelves: thriller
When I first picked up Dean Koontz’s Shattered, I thought, What the hell, maybe this will be okay. I was not sure what I would be getting. It was a very early Koontz novel, and I could not tell whether or not it would be good when I skimmed the pages in my favourite used book store, Allison the Bookman. It just had one of those cheap 80s thriller covers that once were considered modern, but now look completely dated twenty years later and dog eared. However, I learned long ago never to judge a b ...more
Stephen Gallup
As sometimes happens on family vacations, things end up being too chaotic for me to do justice to the books I had packed along. Consequently, I cast about for something that can be read in a distraction-rich environment, and this time I ended up with Shattered.

(The only other time I've read a Dean Koontz novel was under exactly the same conditions.)

This one concerns Doyle, a young man driving cross-country with the 11-year-old brother of the woman he has just married. His bride has flown ahead
John
Story-wise, I'm hard-pressed to think of any book that's less ambitious than SHATTERED. The plot is color-by-numbers simple, utterly predictable, and uncomfortably similar to that of the Richard Matheson/Steven Spielberg film, DUEL, which had been released in its first incarnation on TV just a short time before SHATTERED was published. Despite having a schlocky cover done up in true horror style, the book is remarkably tame--almost like the Hallmark Channel version of a horror story. Lots of fam ...more
Adam Gibson
This was another awesome book from the Master of Menace.
The story follows a 30 year old man named Alex and his son in-law as they travel westward across America whilst being chased by a mysterious man in a Auto-mover Van. Alex tries hard to convince himself that it's just a coincidence that he keeps seeing this van behind them; that he too must just be traveling the same route. As the story unravels though, we find out that it's no coincidence...

This book reminded me of Quentin Tarantino's 'Deat
Peter West
The story to shattered is nothing out of the ordinary, not cunning or fantastic in any way. It's just an ordinary tale like many others. What makes this book good, is the way that an ordinary tale has been told.

Koontz writes in a very natural way. There's no pretentious sentences, no attempt to be smart or brilliant, no corny people or events, he just tells you the story - plain and simple. The characters and story are so down to earth and believable that you don't even have to try to believe i
Benjamin
Alex Doyle is journeying from Philadelphia the San Francisco in his new Thunderbird to join Courtney, his recent bride, and start a new life. Travelling with him is Colin, Courtney's eleven year old brother, who being orphaned will be living with them; making the trip together seemed like a good opportunity to get to know one another.

But someone is following them, they notice the van soon after they leave Philadelphia, they make jokes about it, but soon the jokes turn to horror as they realise t
Tanner Venrick
Dan
Never really picks up and grabs you. It's easy enough to just breeze along with it and kill 200 pages of time, but I also could have stopped reading at any point and never wondered what happened to Doyle and Alex.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that while some books are top-notch thrillers that grab you, this one is a Lifetime movie, minus the strong female protagonist.

Also the end went by WAY too fast. No build up, no red herrings, nothing. Just wham, bam, thank you, Dean.
Nicholas Beck
Mell
The first "adult" fiction novel I read by choice. I read this at 15. Is that sad? Up until then, I read a lot of Christopher Pike. Late bloomer, I guess. This book will always be my sentimental favorite as it opened up the door to... books? Same reason Koontz will always be my favorite author. The story itself is good. I mean, it's a thriller by a popular author so it's a little predictable and all that, but it's a decent read if you're bored.
Derek
This is a fairly generic suspense novel about a man and his step-son on a cross-country trip. Not a lot of shocks, but fairly suspenseful at times. It was probably pretty effective when it was written in 1973, but it hasn't aged particularly well.
Patrice Hoffman
Pretty good and to the point short read. It didn't go off on tangents like other Koontz novels that spend 3 pages describing a backyard or a tree or a bag blowing in the wind....
Deirdre
This one is one of Koontz's older novels. ... Let's just say that I think he's definitely gotten better with time. 2.5 stars, rounded up.
A.R.
This is actually a 70's book under Dean's pseudonym, K. R. Dwyer. Dean had long hair!
Christine
Suspenseful but predictable. Its definitely one that shows its age.
Marianneboss
Disappointing one from Dean Koontz, I mean, I had already got used to his cookie-cutter characters (the goddess-like incredibly intelligent-but-not-really-showing-it twenty something/thirty-ish hot blond,the good nature guy, the fodder kid, the evil almost-superhuman psychopath, etc.) but this was just soooo nervewraking in not a good way. So many things didn't make any sense, the choices made by the main character, the reactions by other people, the inclusion of a police guy that didn't even in ...more
wally
published previously under the K.R. Dwyer name...the 2nd of 3 novels under that name...a straight-forward cross-country chase.

remember dual? richard...sheesh, can't think of his last name....also wrote that story that the will smith movie, the charleston heston movie, and one other...(edit*matheson...i think that's spelled right, came to me after i posted, richard matheson...i am legend, the name of the other story of his)

the word count of this one is lower than most from koontz. that's just a g
Jen
I liked this book okay, it was/is a nice, quick, read. However, I never really felt connected to any of the characters. Doyle was a nice enough guy, Colin seemed a great kid, George was clearly not in his right mind, and Courtney was a loving wife and sister, emotionally strong. All that, though, is really all I got about the main characters.

To understand some of the story, it helps to know about the anti-war sentiment present in the U.S. during the Vietnam War and the somewhat rigid and militan
Robb Bridson
This is the third Koontz book I've read and the worst. If I hadn't read the excellent Watchers, I'd probably give up completely on Koontz at this point.

The story seems promising. The idea alone promises creeping chills and some of Koontz's great action scenes... but this book seems to predate his chops at writing such scenes (I did not like the book Lightningbut the action scenes were amazing).

It reads like an afterschool special about the dangers of not constantly being prepared to battle psyc
Graceann
Oct 07, 2009 Graceann rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Koontz fans
Shelves: suspense
SHATTERED was first published in the very early 70s, under a pseudonym. Glimmers of what was to become the Koontz style are present: The ever-ratcheting tension; the taut phrasing. Unfortunately, as others have stated, the book has become terribly dated in the almost 40 years since its publication. The tensions over Vietnam, who fought and who didn't, and the evils of "the establishment" are offered. Those of us who were small during this era will have to take Koontz's word for it.

There are, ho
Emily
I think some people were unnecessarily cruel to this rather early work of Koontz. Surely not his best work (I enjoy his writing style so I rate the majority of his books perhaps more highly than they deserve) and with a distinctly dated feel to it that I could never quite shake. The plot was actually about average for a Koontz novel, however the characters were somewhat less in-depth than usual. Each character did not have their own tortured past they were trying to escape from. The grisly detai ...more
Koontzland - Dean...: Shattered (Group Read - July 2013) 24 20 Aug 03, 2013 09:01PM
  • The Face of Fear
  • The Funhouse
  • Icebound
  • Fear that Man / Toyman (Ace Double, 23140)
  • Texas by the Tail
  • The Door to December
  • Dragonfly
  • Children of the Storm
  • The Bachman Books
  • Creature

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...
Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) Watchers Intensity Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2) Phantoms