Start by marking “The Exiles in Love (The Exiles, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Exiles in Love (The Exiles, #3)

The Exiles in Love (The Exiles #3)

"Love is in the air" Romantic love enters the lives of the four Conroy sisters when Ruth develops a crush on the school bus driver. Next she finds herself pining for Mr. Rochester in "Jane Eyre," smitten with the Temporary English teacher (to whom sister Naomi is attracted as well), and infatuated with Alan Adair from the butcher's shop.

Meanwhile, the younger girls have ot
Published September 1st 1999 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published February 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Exiles in Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Exiles in Love

Beth
Feb 23, 2015 Beth rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
Ehhhhh. The format felt unnecessary, the story fragmented, and quite frankly it wasn't very funny, the way Hilary McKay can be. I also didn't think the characters were developed very well - Naomi was the literature girl and Rachel the slob and Phoebe the spy and Ruth the stereotypical teenager. Phillipe was probably the most well-rounded character and all he did was react to the girls, though that did make him very relatable. And considering all the good grandparents in literature, Big Grandma w ...more
Katie
A lower four than the others. I still enjoyed it, but it wasn't as laugh out loud funny as the rest and the format didn't entirely work for me.
Sue
Jul 13, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Third in the trilogy about the Conroy girls: Ruth, Naomi, Rachel and Phoebe.

A little different from the others, this is told in flashback form, primarily. At the start of each chapter there are snippets of conversation, evidently from the point of view of the girls when they are adults, reminiscing about the summer when they developed the 'family failing' of falling in love with unsuitable people. Often several at once.

The story takes us through several crushes on Ruth's behalf, including a tea
Carolynne
Aug 03, 2009 Carolynne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recentlyread
No one who has read _the Exiles at Home_ will expect love to go smoothly in this story of how the three older girls fall in love and how their relationships are resolved with the help of usually sensible Big Grandma. I say "usually sensible" because Big Grandma herself unexpectedly proves not to be immune to romance. Predictably, there is one embarassing situation after another. This book even has a villainess, Madame Caradoc--but even she turns out to be less sinister than we are led to believe ...more
Miz Lizzie
Aug 29, 2008 Miz Lizzie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 8-12 year olds
Third book in the Exile series. Ruth, Naomi, and Rachel all fall prey to "the family failing" of instantaneous and multiple crushes and are taken to France for a holiday by Big Grandmother (who is suffering from her own crush) for a cure. Phoebe is the only one to stay more-or-less immune as she practices becoming an international spy. This is definitely the weakest of the three books in this series. While it is nice to re-visit the characters and learn a bit about French food, the story is a bi ...more
Jenn Estepp
Feb 15, 2011 Jenn Estepp rated it liked it
Least favorite Exiles book. And not just because the Casson's still have my heart. I *hated* the interloping-by-grown-up-girls at the start of each chapter - ultimately the reason for it was revealed and yes, it was sweet, but crazy-distracting and I think it led to the disjointed feel of the book, which too-often felt like vignettes instead of an entire narrative. Phillipe and France were charming though - wish there were more of them. And even mid-range McKay is pretty good, so please publishe ...more
Tammy
Jul 12, 2010 Tammy rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, children
Eh. She tried something a little different at the beginning of each chapter where the girls are "looking back" unfortunately I don't think it worked very well. I liked the notion of the "Family Failing" (being in love). I loved Phoebe as international spy and Rachel grew on me a bit more as well - but overall the book doesn't really live up to it's promise. I liked it - as I liked the others but I wanted to like it more than I did.
Daniel Jordan
Oct 24, 2016 Daniel Jordan rated it really liked it
Read it while I was in middle school, so I don't remember much of the story, but I do remember really enjoying it and being very engaged with the story. I want to look for it to give it a second reading, just to see how it feels experiencing the story over ten years later. However, the rating still stands, as a middle-schooler I enjoyed it very much.
Turrean
Jul 04, 2011 Turrean rated it liked it
Recommended to Turrean by: Marie
The characters are as wonderfully daffy as ever, though the focus on the "family failing," a tendency to fall in love, makes this the weakest of the three "Exiles" books. McKay has a "thing" about love-at-first-sight as kids--it's a plot point in two of her series--that I find grating, but this is a safely minor point. McKay's stories are a joy to read.
Jenn Ginder
Feb 23, 2012 Jenn Ginder rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
I adored this series so much as a kid and didn't know there was a third book in the series. Reading about the Conroy sisters as an adult wasn't quite the same. If I'd picked this up in middle school, I would have given it five stars. The plot didn't have enough happening like the previous two books. Maybe I'm just getting old, but the sisters didn't seem as funny.
Amy
Feb 08, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
These books are random but so funny and quirky. I love a book I can laugh out loud to. The second was my favorite. These four sisters and their outrageous personalities will stay with me for a while I think!
Melissa
Jul 08, 2008 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
The four Conroy sisters are in love. Well, three of them at least. They are sent to France with Big Grandma to cure them of their "failing". Hilarity ensues. Read it because it's cute, but especially for the part where the girls go shopping in a French village. That's priceless.
Bessa
Big nostalgia trip - read the first two when I was a lot younger. It's just as funny :)
Kevara
Aug 15, 2016 Kevara added it
loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Sara
Aug 20, 2008 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maureen E
Dec 02, 2010 Maureen E rated it liked it
I didn’t love this one as much as I loved the first two books, sadly. It was still fun, though. It just didn’t induce painful laughter. [Nov. 2010]
Kaethe
Oct 21, 2013 Kaethe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And again, not a cover that says "family comedy". This looks like a very dated ad for some sort of children's allergy medicine.

Library copy
Emily
Feb 11, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it
Delightful as always. Good ol' Hilary McKay.
Soffia
Soffia rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2012
Elspeth
Elspeth rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2010
Marnie
Marnie rated it liked it
May 04, 2010
Elisa
Elisa rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2014
M
M rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2013
A
A rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2011
Kate Nole
Kate Nole rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2013
Jájí Jarosova
Jájí Jarosova rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2015
Tabby
Tabby rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2014
Muff
Muff rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2012
Nivedita
Nivedita rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Rising Star (Fame School, #2)
  • Making Waves (Angels Unlimited, #7)
  • Córka Robrojka (Jeżycjada, #11)
  • The Groovy Greeks And The Rotten Romans (Two Horrible Books In One)
  • Wakacje z duchami
  • Felix, Net i Nika oraz Pałac Snów (Felix, Net i Nika, #3)
  • Odious Oceans (Horrible Geography)
  • Thin Ice
  • Plastusiowy Pamiętnik
Hilary McKay was born in Boston, Lincolnshire and is the eldest of four girls. From a very early age she read voraciously and grew up in a household of readers. Hilary says of herself as a child "I anaesthetised myself against the big bad world with large doses of literature. The local library was as familiar to me as my own home."

After reading Botany and Zoology at St. Andrew's University Hilary
More about Hilary McKay...

The Exiles (3 books)
  • The Exiles (The Exiles, #1)
  • The Exiles at Home (The Exiles, #2)

“I used to think that fifteen would be nearly grown up," said her sister Naomi, "until you started being it” 6 likes