Start by marking “The Exiles in Love (The Exiles, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Exiles in Love (The Exiles, #3)

The Exiles in Love (The Exiles #3)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  253 ratings  ·  13 reviews
"Love is in the air" Romantic love enters the lives of the four Conroy sisters when Ruth develops a crush on the school bus driver. Next she finds herself pining for Mr. Rochester in "Jane Eyre," smitten with the Temporary English teacher (to whom sister Naomi is attracted as well), and infatuated with Alan Adair from the butcher's shop.

Meanwhile, the younger girls have ot...more
Published September 1st 1999 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published February 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Exiles in Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Exiles in Love

Sue
Third in the trilogy about the Conroy girls: Ruth, Naomi, Rachel and Phoebe.

A little different from the others, this is told in flashback form, primarily. At the start of each chapter there are snippets of conversation, evidently from the point of view of the girls when they are adults, reminiscing about the summer when they developed the 'family failing' of falling in love with unsuitable people. Often several at once.

The story takes us through several crushes on Ruth's behalf, including a tea...more
Miz Lizzie
Third book in the Exile series. Ruth, Naomi, and Rachel all fall prey to "the family failing" of instantaneous and multiple crushes and are taken to France for a holiday by Big Grandmother (who is suffering from her own crush) for a cure. Phoebe is the only one to stay more-or-less immune as she practices becoming an international spy. This is definitely the weakest of the three books in this series. While it is nice to re-visit the characters and learn a bit about French food, the story is a bi...more
Carolynne
No one who has read _the Exiles at Home_ will expect love to go smoothly in this story of how the three older girls fall in love and how their relationships are resolved with the help of usually sensible Big Grandma. I say "usually sensible" because Big Grandma herself unexpectedly proves not to be immune to romance. Predictably, there is one embarassing situation after another. This book even has a villainess, Madame Caradoc--but even she turns out to be less sinister than we are led to believe...more
Jenn Estepp
Least favorite Exiles book. And not just because the Casson's still have my heart. I *hated* the interloping-by-grown-up-girls at the start of each chapter - ultimately the reason for it was revealed and yes, it was sweet, but crazy-distracting and I think it led to the disjointed feel of the book, which too-often felt like vignettes instead of an entire narrative. Phillipe and France were charming though - wish there were more of them. And even mid-range McKay is pretty good, so please publishe...more
Tammy
Eh. She tried something a little different at the beginning of each chapter where the girls are "looking back" unfortunately I don't think it worked very well. I liked the notion of the "Family Failing" (being in love). I loved Phoebe as international spy and Rachel grew on me a bit more as well - but overall the book doesn't really live up to it's promise. I liked it - as I liked the others but I wanted to like it more than I did.
Jenn Ginder
I adored this series so much as a kid and didn't know there was a third book in the series. Reading about the Conroy sisters as an adult wasn't quite the same. If I'd picked this up in middle school, I would have given it five stars. The plot didn't have enough happening like the previous two books. Maybe I'm just getting old, but the sisters didn't seem as funny.
Turrean
Jul 04, 2011 Turrean rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Turrean by: Marie
The characters are as wonderfully daffy as ever, though the focus on the "family failing," a tendency to fall in love, makes this the weakest of the three "Exiles" books. McKay has a "thing" about love-at-first-sight as kids--it's a plot point in two of her series--that I find grating, but this is a safely minor point. McKay's stories are a joy to read.
Melissa
The four Conroy sisters are in love. Well, three of them at least. They are sent to France with Big Grandma to cure them of their "failing". Hilarity ensues. Read it because it's cute, but especially for the part where the girls go shopping in a French village. That's priceless.
Amy
These books are random but so funny and quirky. I love a book I can laugh out loud to. The second was my favorite. These four sisters and their outrageous personalities will stay with me for a while I think!
Sara
Maureen E
I didn’t love this one as much as I loved the first two books, sadly. It was still fun, though. It just didn’t induce painful laughter. [Nov. 2010]
Emily
Delightful as always. Good ol' Hilary McKay.
Grace
sometimes hard to follow.
Jessica Wilson
Jessica Wilson marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Shubhangi
Shubhangi marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Mazyoona321
Mazyoona321 marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Keris
Keris marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Pipi
Pipi marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Losing the Plot (Angels Unlimited, #2)
  • Imieniny (Jeżycjada, #12)
  • The USA (Horrible Histories Special)
  • Bulging Brains (Horrible Science)
  • Plastusiowy Pamiętnik
  • Wakacje z duchami
  • Nigdy w życiu!
Hilary McKay was born in Boston, Lincolnshire and is the eldest of four girls. From a very early age she read voraciously and grew up in a household of readers. Hilary says of herself as a child "I anaesthetised myself against the big bad world with large doses of literature. The local library was as familiar to me as my own home."

After reading Botany and Zoology at St. Andrew's University Hilary...more
More about Hilary McKay...
Saffy's Angel (Casson Family, #1) Indigo's Star (Casson Family, #2) Permanent Rose (Casson Family, #3) Caddy Ever After (Casson Family, #4) Forever Rose (Casson Family, #5)

“I used to think that fifteen would be nearly grown up," said her sister Naomi, "until you started being it” 6 likes