Start by marking “Greek Gods and Heroes” as Want to Read:

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  493 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Recounts the glorious days when gods and goddesses who dwelt on Mount Olympus ruled over the world of mortals below, and fabled heroes performed mighty deeds of valor.
Published October 15th 1965 by Laurel Leaf (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Greek Gods and Heroes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Greek Gods and Heroes

The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Last Olympian by Rick RiordanThe Sea of Monsters by Rick RiordanThe Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick RiordanThe Odyssey by Homer
Best Books About Mythology
62nd out of 597 books — 1,198 voters
The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick RiordanThe Titan's Curse by Rick RiordanThe Last Olympian by Rick RiordanThe Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan
Greek Mythology
36th out of 320 books — 252 voters

More lists with this book...

Elise
One thing that seems to have been missed by many of the previous reviewers is that this book was written to be accessible to children (as well as adults). Yes the tales are conscise, but they are meant to be an introduction, not an exhaustive retelling.

This is a retelling of many of the greatest myths and legends of the Ancient Greek gods. The stories are told in a simple, engaging style, well suited to a children's book, without ever being patronising - which is quite a feat for an historian of
Mike-p
by Robert Graves

The book Greek gods and Heroes is the mixture of some of the story though out Greek mythology. I believe that is fantasy because is talk about gods and magic. What i in joined about the book is that it has at the beginning of the book there is the was the beginning of the world in the and that the the end of the book it the book has the way the world will end.

The the book Greek Gods and Heroes i learned a new thing a god that has dead a that is way the is so
Rusty
A fun, fun read! When I saw the author of this one I knew I had to read it. Graves fills the tales with wit and plain good prose. The gods and goddesses are like a bunch of children or a dysfunctional family. They quarrel, play tricks on one another, lie and seek revenge for real or imagined wrongs. The first tale describes the palace where the major gods live and the major gods and their basic characteristics. Once the stage is set you find yourself reading about major gods and their adventures ...more
Luis Branco
For some time I searched for a book like this, which could present the Greek mythology in a simple and direct configuration. This is a perfect book for those unused to the subject, but also is very useful for scholars and pupils. It is not a dense book, it work more like a guidebook, which is perfect in many cases. I highly recommend the read.
Jak
This is almost like reading a crib sheet for Greek Gods and Heroes. Each tale told is done with the barest minimum of hyperbole which is great if you want to dip into a story to remind yourself of salient facts and avoids some of he bloviated and over complicated descriptions some other have.

That said it is VERY stripped back. To the bone in fact. Kind of along the lines of “So-and-So fought a monster, won the maiden and married her.” While I welcome shortening the story to concentrate on the i
A.C. Bauch
At the library, I looked for a book containing a solid Greek mythology overview, and this was the best one I found. This one was all right, although I found it inferior to the Evslin, Evslin, and Hoopes The Greek Gods and Heroes & Monsters of Greek Myth. Regardless, this book does provide ample information for a reader to gain a foundational knowledge of the most famous Greek myths.

However, something about the writing style bothered me. Can't quite identify the cause (maybe it seemed juvenil
Rob3xify
Lectura bastante amena y digerible. Perfecta para entender sin complicaciones a los personajes de la mitología griega.
Hima-chan
Este libro es de mis favoritos. Ademas es que lo cuenta de una manera que.. da gusto leerlo.
Mac
I first read this in about the 4th or 5th grade, and I probably read it ten more times before I was out of junior high. It's a wonderful retelling of many of the most famous myths of the Greeks presented in a terse accessible style. The edition that I read as a boy also had these fabulous charcoal sketches of various scenes - Theseus killing the minotaur, Zeus hurling a thunderbolt, etc. The pictures matched the prose - concise, simple, and exciting for a young boy with a big imagination. I've j ...more
Zarrr
Aug 01, 2014 Zarrr marked it as school
Why can't I read it ??
Marcos Bolaños
Un buen libro para saber un poco sobre los dioses y heroes (personajes) de la mitología griega.

Ciertamente las historias en el libro son muy ligeras y sin dar tantos detalles sobre cada una de las leyendas por lo cual te da una "amplía" visión de toda la mitología griega pero sin saber realmente mucho.

Ahora que he terminado de leer este libro, me queda la curiosidad de profundizar un poco mas sobre las leyendas aqui contadas.

Sin duda... un libro que sirve como entrada al mundo de la mitología gr
Jazyjazban
Amazingly written book. Very factual and just a really good, easy read. Highly recommend to beginners on studying Greek Mythology.
Lindsay
I picked this up at the Strand for 50 cents because I keep telling myself I'm going to review the Greek and Roman Gods/myths.

I kind of jumped around with this. It wasn't really what I wanted. It's trying to make the myths sound kind of soap-opera-y, I guess to be more palatable? but I find it off-putting. The myths are operatic, I just wanted the stories told in a straight-forward manner, not jumbled and told as if Aphrodite is some hot cheerleader.
Fareeha
Greek mythology is hard to take in one sitting for a novice (because of the countless names and interlinks, etc.) but this book has presented the 'famous accounts' in a fun, interesting and simple way (the index in the end really helps). Its a great and quick resource for people who are interested in Greek mythology/history.

Btw they certainly didn't believe in happy endings :)
Izzy
Lots of names and jumping back and forth but an enjoyable read split up into different stories which will make it easy to use as a reference.
The tone is light and the myths are told as stories not in a textbook fashion. It is a book that would entertain young and old readers and offers a brief but good introduction to the world of Greek Gods and Heroes.
Winna
I don't like the language the book is using.. it's as if the myth is a mockery, fun fiction to tell. And it's not. It's fun to read, but it shouldn't be downgraded.

And the stories are not very complete.
Adam
Nice touch with brilliant stories. However, sometimes the bad guys win and there are no photos. What I liked about it is the influence it gave me for a little price. Looking forward for more!
Kelly
Delightful little quip of a book getting an equally little blip of a review. Not much to...
[image error]
on.

Blair
Not so much a book as a research guide. But if you are interested in the history of the many characters in Greek Myths, it is a fantastic resource.
Johnny
I've been studying Greek and Roman mythology since I was really little and this book had facts that I didn't know and that's saying something
Michelle
I had to read this for my high school summer reading freshman year and I loved it!!! Still my favorite book of all time.
Marta Lopez
Great book my dad used to read me this book when I was younger and I love it.
Heather
It has a basic overview of the Greek myths. Very helpful
Katherine
A good reference book
Josh Boardman
Fun little book.
Isabelle Cheah
Isabelle Cheah marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Readers Digest: athena 1 3 Mar 14, 2012 06:32AM
  • The Greek Gods
  • Myths of the Greeks and Romans
  • Classical Mythology
  • Greek Myths and Legends
  • The Library of Greek Mythology (World's Classics)
  • Parallel Myths
  • Fairy Tale as Myth/Myth as Fairy Tale
  • The Age of Fable
  • Tales of Troy and Greece
  • Ministry of Pandemonium
Robert Ranke Graves, born in Wimbledon, received his early education at King's College School and Copthorne Prep School, Wimbledon & Charterhouse School and won a scholarship to St John's College, Oxford. While at Charterhouse in 1912, he fell in love with G. H. Johnstone, a boy of fourteen ("Dick" in Goodbye to All That) When challenged by the headmaster he defended himself by citing Plato, G ...more
More about Robert Graves...
I, Claudius (Claudius, #1) Claudius the God and His Wife Messalina (Claudius, #2) Goodbye to All That The Greek Myths The White Goddess: A Historical Grammar of Poetic Myth