Start by marking “The Last Voice You Hear” as Want to Read:
The Last Voice You Hear

The Last Voice You Hear (Sarah Tucker/Zoë Boehm #2)

Zoë Boehm doesn't do death. It's a rule. Yet here she is—in this new ambitious detective novel from the sure-footed Mick Herron—worried by three of them. Zoë herself has killed a man, and self-defense or not, it cripples her emotions still. She also remembers Wez, a twelve-year-old kid afraid of heights, who tumbled to his death from the top of a tower block; she knew him ...more
Published September 2nd 2004 by Carroll & Graf

To ask other readers questions about The Last Voice You Hear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Voice You Hear

Lisa
Mar 31, 2014 Lisa added it
need to read the 1st book as the author constantly referenced it in this one.
Tory
Oct 20, 2016 Tory rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
I understand when the protagonist is in danger as they investigate, but when they become the victim...I soon lose interest. In series, they seem to start with an interesting story line of investigation and an interesting own-life, and eventually they seem perfectly merged. I'm investigating a crime where I'm the victim.
Pgchuis
Sep 18, 2016 Pgchuis rated it liked it
Zoe is still working as a private detective and is asked (by her boss) to find the boyfriend of a 40-something woman who has died. The boyfriend proves elusive, although Zoe becomes convinced (on no evidence at all really) that he has formed a relationship with and killed another woman in her forties. This is all linked with the fact that Zoe too is a single woman in her forties and with the fact that Zoe has discovered a lump in her breast and is awaiting a biopsy.

There is also a flashback to
Kathy
Have you ever watched a movie where you put your hands over your eyes because you didn't want to see what was happening? That's how I felt about the last 1/3 of this book. I found myself reading it quickly just in case it got too graphic (which it didn't, but it was a strong possibility). Zoe is still an enigma to me, perhaps because I don't know what brought her to this point psychologically. She killed someone, and that seems to have changed her, but since I don't know what she was like before ...more
Frances
Aug 12, 2015 Frances rated it liked it
Recommended to Frances by: Ali
This is Herron's second book and while I liked it, I am still pondering the stream-of-conscious sort of prose, mostly through the eyes of Zoe Boehm who finds people. It is very different from his first book and a more recent one I have read this year.
Zoe is currently looking for the missing, elusive lover of a middle aged woman who fell to her death in a London tube station; but she is also concerned with the suicide death of a 12 year old she briefly met a few years earlier. And she is dealing
Shannon Teper
Oct 20, 2015 Shannon Teper rated it liked it
Shelves: british-mystery
****contains spoilers********
I enjoyed the beginning of this book and liked where I thought it was going until, midway through, it morphed into a completely different type of book. It appeared that the plot was building to some excellent psychological suspense but then it veered in the direction of an action thriller. I try not to fault a book simply because it's not written in my preferred genre, but the action scenes seemed prolonged and contrived. I am an American and we tend to be overly fon
Sandi
Another great read from this author. While the plot was pretty low on the plausibility scale I thought the writing was excellent and the characterizations spot on. The pace of the book was quick and the last quarter of the book was very intense.
Rodger
Jan 04, 2016 Rodger rated it really liked it
Really like the way Mick Herron writes. Evocative, insightful, and great character development. Love his use of language, very articulate and expressive.
Susan
Jan 30, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
Not completely believable - Zoe is a bit too much of a superwoman to be true - but the smart, bright prose more than makes up for that. I liked it enough to go looking for the rest of the series.
Carole
Jul 10, 2016 Carole rated it it was amazing
Well, if you want a thriller, this is the one for you. With its twists and turns you'll be saying "Oh no" holding your breath until you turn the page. Super!
Bailey Emerson
Bailey Emerson rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2014
Rory Staines
Rory Staines rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2016
Rob Diablo
Rob Diablo rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Race Bannon Berns
Race Bannon Berns rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2014
Adrienne
Adrienne rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2016
Eadie
Eadie rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2013
Donnkers
Donnkers rated it it was ok
May 23, 2013
Rich
Rich rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2016
Juliet
Juliet rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2015
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Johanna
Johanna rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2015
Teddy
Teddy rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2014
Sarah rated it did not like it
Feb 26, 2011
David L Poitry
David L Poitry rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2016
ML Moran
ML Moran rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
P.G.RICHARSON
P.G.RICHARSON rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2016
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2009
Rosemary
Rosemary rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2016
Dreamerbfc
Dreamerbfc rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Mick Herron was born in Newcastle and has a degree in English from Balliol College, Oxford. He is the author of three books in the Slough House series as well as a mystery series set in Oxford featuring Sarah Tucker and/or P.I. Zoë Boehm. He now lives in Oxford and works in London.
More about Mick Herron...

Sarah Tucker/Zoë Boehm (4 books)
  • Down Cemetery Road