Start by marking “Icebound” as Want to Read:

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  14,154 Ratings  ·  333 Reviews
The arctic night is endless. The fear is numbing. Screams freeze in the throat. Death arrives in shades of white. Cold-blooded murder seems right at home....the chill of the grave.
Mass Market Paperback, 408 pages
Published September 5th 2000 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Icebound, please sign up.

Andrea Right now GR doesn't have an option to log multiple dates into the book statistics. The request for such option has been brought up many times by…moreRight now GR doesn't have an option to log multiple dates into the book statistics. The request for such option has been brought up many times by users of this site, but it's been falling on deaf ears for many-many years. You can try doing what I do to my re-reads. You can pick one edition of the book and set the date read as usual (either the 1999 or current). Then go to the book's page and pick another edition from the ones offered. Once on that page, navigate down to your review section, and on the right side you'll see links to "edit", "review this edition", and "switch to this edition". Click "review this edition" and set your second date there. Basically, if you are not picky what edition is recorded, and you don't mind duplicates on your shelf, this will let you document as many re-reads as there are editions of the particular book.

If you don't want to see duplicates on "read" shelf (like me), you can create an exclusive shelf just for re-reads (like I did), and send all those books there. You will still have to pick a different edition from your original one though, every single time. It's a lot of extra work for something that should be as easy as just entering more than one date into your stats, but GR is stupid like that. You might find it not worth the work, but I like to keep track of such things as re-reads. And this method allows you to add re-reads into your GR challenge without subtracting these books from the previous years' stats. Hope that helps. (less)
Odd Thomas by Dean KoontzWatchers by Dean KoontzIntensity by Dean KoontzLightning by Dean KoontzLife Expectancy by Dean Koontz
Best Dean Koontz Books
42nd out of 76 books — 762 voters
Your Heart Belongs to Me by Dean KoontzThe Darkest Evening of the Year by Dean KoontzBreathless by Dean KoontzThe Husband by Dean KoontzBrother Odd by Dean Koontz
The Worst of Dean Koontz :-(
6th out of 47 books — 128 voters

More lists with this book...

Phrynne
Jul 12, 2015 Phrynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very early Dean Koontz originally published under a pseudonym and it is unlike his normal books. Apparently his inspiration was Alistair MacLean and this book is certainly an adventure written in that style. The story is very exciting and very tense. It all takes place in less than a day and the suspense is racked up as each chapter is labelled as a count down to an explosion which will probably end everyone's lives. It was all most entertaining and I enjoyed it very much.
Destiny
Jan 07, 2009 Destiny rated it it was amazing
I honestly could not put this book down from start to finish. This book was a bit different than many of Koontz's books in that it had no horror or no bizarre characters that he writes so well. Instead, it was just flat out non-stop suspense from beginning to end. Wow! It really was incredible.

I love Dean Koontz, but this book surprised me in a good way. I was just blown away.

It is definitely worth reading. Give it a try, and if you like this one, read Intensity by Dean Koontz next.
Wendy
Aug 06, 2009 Wendy rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading Deception Point so much that I thought I'd delve into my first Dean Koontz book. I really enjoyed the thrill of this book too, and couldn't believe how the story reeled me in and kept me turning the pages.

A group of "scientists" are in the Artic Circle somewhere near Greenland give or take a few hundred miles. While trying to experiment on the possibilities of floating icebergs to the United States to supply more fresh water for farms and homes and such, catastrophy strikes in
Jun 25, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it
This was a perfectly fine action/adventure/thriller. The little blurb tells you all that you need to know. Nope not much deep character development and all that jazz. Simply a solid, seat of your pants kinda thrill. A good quick read for an in between kinda reading funk. You all know what I mean!
Maciek
Originally published as "Prison of Ice" in 1976, "Icebound" is an extensive rewrite from 1995.

From the blurb:

"Conducting a strange and urgent experiment of the Arctic icefield, a team of scientists has planted sixty powerful explosive charges that will detonate at midnight. Before they can withdraw to the safety of the base camp, a shattering tidal wave breaks loose the ice on which they are working. Now they are hopelessly marooned on an iceberg during a violent winter storm. The bombs beneath
Caitlyn
Feb 17, 2012 Caitlyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Koontz book I ever read! It is different from his other books, this is more action/adventure. No sci-fi stuff. But I liked it a lot and thought the suspence was good. I enjoyed it,even though it is a little different than his other books.
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
My opinion prior to 2014: I do not like this book :-(
I recommend Deception Point by Dan Brown - it is so much more better imho
Deception Point by Dan Brown

2014: I finally succeeded in reading Icebound after three previous attempts. I was surprised to find myself enjoying the story. It is the only book like this written by Dean Koontz. Dean writes in the afterword: "...this is the only book of its type I've written, and if readers wanted another, I'd have nothing to offer...."

I enjoyed hearing about one character who is abl
Uri
Jul 23, 2014 Uri rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes books about action and adventure
Recommended to Uri by: No one, I found it at thrift store and bought it because I like dean Koontz books
I really liked this book, but I think that it is a great action/adventure book, nothing less, nothing more.

To be honest, I had heard so many negative things about it that I probably had the lowest of expectations and thus ended up liking it. In my humble opinion this book got more interesting and exciting as I turned the pages over.

Probably it helped me to know that this book is written in a totally different way than the other traditional Koontz books. He wrote this book trying to write an act
Jen
I really enjoyed this story. It was fantastic! Suspenseful and thrilling, it kept me guessing right up to the end. :-) My only complaints, and they are huge ones in my opinion, are that we found out what happened to everyone after the rescue except Brian! Really?!?! Why was he, the intended victim of a maniac, left out of the summation? My other complaint was that the Russian Captain, Nikita Gorov, referred to his son as "Nikki." I'm being nit-picky about this only because I lived in Russia once ...more
Kaykay Obi
Jan 13, 2013 Kaykay Obi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having dropped the last Dean Koontz book I read, I became a bit skeptical when choosing another book from him. Then I realized something: I love his old books more than the recent ones. By old books, I mean the ones written before the 2000s.

I really enjoyed this book. It was hard to put down while I started reading it. Its suspense got me hooked from two directions: kept me wondering whether the expedition team would make it out of the berg on time; also kept me wondering who among them looked l
Anchor
Aug 22, 2012 Anchor rated it liked it
I hate Dean Koontz. In my opinion he writes down to his readers. He gives them a very interesting premise but then writes like he's writing for a five year old. His idea of foreshadowing is hitting the reader over the head with a sledgehammer. I have not finished books he has written, because his writing irritates the hell out of me. I have read Strangers and Phantoms as well, both of which could have been good if they were written by someone else.

Icebound is good because, as Koontz says himself
Jeremy Kohlman
This is a review of the audio book. (books on CD)

This was probably the most enjoyable audio book I've listened to, to date.

I've also never read Dean Koontz, so this one was definitely new to me. Fascinatingly suspenseful story. Genuinely interesting characters. Amazing setting. I'd actually still go and actually read this one, even after having listened to the whole thing. I most definitely recommend it for others to read.

Not the typical sci-fi/horror that Koontz is known for, but he does a mira
Rebecca McNutt
Jun 02, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it
Not one of Koontz' best novels, but it was entertaining and chilling - literally. This novel uses ice and murder to haunt its readers in a very effective way, and it's definitely worth reading.
Roger Weston
Jul 19, 2014 Roger Weston rated it it was amazing
The pages of this book flip over as if driven by an Arctic wind. The novel delivers suspense that builds and reaches its icy arms around the reader. Written in the tradition of Alistair MacLean, Koontz delivers action, suspense, and entertaining characters. This is his only adventure story that I know of, and I wish he would write some more. Although I don't read a lot of Koontz's books, I enjoyed this one.
Corey
Jul 09, 2014 Corey rated it really liked it
It's been so long since I've read anything by Dean Koontz, so I decided to go with Icebound, it was pretty interesting, a different turn for Koontz, I didn't really consider it a horror book like his other books. The only thing about this book is it didn't seem to have that Koontz feeling to it, but all in all it was a good book.
Meghan
Sep 27, 2007 Meghan rated it really liked it
This book kept you reading. After I finished it I found out that Koontz wrote this under a pen name since it was his first spy/suspense style of book and since re-released it under his name. It is definitely different than his usual style and there are no crazy supernatural type of creatures as is his norm, but good all the same.
Johnny
Nov 19, 2010 Johnny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
Amy
The lives of a diverse team of scientists working on the Edgeway Project in the Arctic become endangered as an earthquake causes the icecap they are working on to separate, becoming an iceberg. A nearby Russian submarine on an espionage mission decides to come to their rescue. There are multiple bombs within the iceberg, set to go off at midnight, so time is ticking. Meanwhile, it is discovered that a psychopath is amongst the team, intent on killing one of the them. Will they figure out who it ...more
Lelia Taylor
Feb 26, 2012 Lelia Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: full-reviews
Dean Koontz
Read by Paul Michael
Random House Audio, 2007
ISBN 0739341413
Unabridged Audio Book

A scientific team in the Arctic icefield is conducting an experiment and has just finished laying sixty explosive charges, scheduled to detonate at midnight, when a completely unexpected tidal wave hits and breaks off a huge piece of ice. Unfortunately, the scientists are marooned on this newly-birthed iceberg with the explosives counting down and, to make matters worse, an attack on a team member
Monica
Mar 05, 2008 Monica rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves Koontz!
Recommended to Monica by: Suzy
Icebound by Dean Koontz: Another classic by Dean Koontz. It was the third selection for our book club, and actually it was my pick. A science team is working on a glacier in the Arctic to help stop droughts in the United States by planting bombs along the glacier. During a violent storm, part of the glacier broke off. The team is stuck on the iceberg with all of the bombs, that will be detonating in twelve hours. There's a Russian submarine intercepting their cries for help. Will the Russians he ...more
Miss Mouse
Jan 03, 2016 Miss Mouse rated it liked it
I am iffy about this book, I didn't like the setting, but I was kept on the edge of my seat hoping they would get out alive and wanting to know who the killer was.
Gary Carper
Aug 07, 2015 Gary Carper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review will contain spoilers.

First off. This is only the fourth Dean Koontz book that I have read. And I have enjoyed all 4 of them very much. This is an updated version of Prison of Ice. Which was written by Koontz under the pseudonym of David Axton back in 1976. According to the authors note in the back of the book. He updated the technological and cultural references from the previous one. Icebound surronds 8 scientists that are in the Arctic working on a project to bring fresh water to
Joel
Feb 09, 2015 Joel rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
I'd read a number of Koontz novels and I'd never accuse him of being a brilliant writer though sometimes his characters and twists hover on that descriptive. But he's usually a solid writer, someone you can rely on with even the thinnest of narratives. Over the new years break, I read his Darkest Evening of the Year which was just outright bad, in my estimation. But based on that review, another Goodreads user recommended Icebound so I gave it a shot.

And it's good. A very solid, suspenseful page
Kavya L
Mar 07, 2016 Kavya L rated it liked it
One of Koontz's earlier books, this is a style that he hasn't explored since. Perhaps for good reason. It had the intended "unputdownable" feel, however, it had that fatal flaw of too much happening in too little a space of time. All of the past demons of all of the characters were only alluded to until that one point when the entire plot rose to it's acme. So there was the climax of the action peppered with the back stories of the characters all in the space of a few pages.
My biggest grouse is
Sally Lindsay-briggs
Aug 25, 2015 Sally Lindsay-briggs rated it really liked it
This was an ancient novel written by Dean Koontz, under a pseudonym. There were way too many details about the scientist's: equipment, procedures and goals to stay warm in frigid Greenland, with too much about iceburgs. Yet, an attempted murder, another murder and a daring rescue (almost incomprehensible) grabbed my attention and swam with it, in those icey seas, in their submarine.
Laurla2
Apr 08, 2016 Laurla2 added it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
"politics was an illusion of service that cloaked the corruption of power. it was lies, deceptions, self interest, and self aggrandizement. politics was a jeweled mask under which hid the true disfigured face of the phantom."

"he felt blessedly invisible, as though the sea were not a part of the world above the surface but a parallel dimension to it, able to hear the inhabitants in the world above without being heard or seen, safe from their stares, not an object of amusement any longer."

"'i am n
Shawnee Bowlin
Mar 31, 2010 Shawnee Bowlin rated it liked it
I enjoyed IceBound, but I confess to skipping around in the book rather than reading it word for word. The in-depth writing about the conditions and scientific information just didn't interest me much. I also felt Mr. Koontz should have included more in the story about the character in question(don't want to spoil it for anyone).
J.M.
Jul 24, 2014 J.M. rated it liked it
I used to read a lot of Dean Koontz, back when he still used the R. in his name, but I haven't been too big a fan of his newer stuff. That said, this was an interesting book, fast-paced, and well-written. It kept me riveted until the end.
Eve Nolon
Dec 29, 2015 Eve Nolon rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, e-book
Not as good as NIGHT CHILLS which I also finished today but a damned good new-to-me read that was better than I expected. I always like Koontz's novels which deal with a married childless couple, often working together. It's probably why I love Bobby and Julie, Dusty and Martie, Travis and Nora*, and Odd and Stormy* because I am married and childless, although I wouldn't want to star in a Koontz novel. Harry and Rita were definitely the highlight although I enjoyed George's storyline, much more ...more
Nora aka Diva
Jul 29, 2011 Nora aka Diva rated it liked it
Shelves: dean-koontz
Not your usual Koontz read but still a good one it's own way. The story starts a little slow but builds with each page, leaving wondering what will happen to the poor souls trapped on the ice.
Koontzland - Dean...: Icebound (Group Read - January 2014) 86 121 Jan 27, 2014 10:45AM
  • Winter Moon
  • Shadowfires
  • The Mask
  • Shattered
  • The Face of Fear
Note: More than one author wrote under the David Axton name.

1) For the military books by an author named David Axton, click here.

2) For the book by Dean Koontz writing as David Axton, stay here.

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the names Leigh Nichols, Brian Coffey, David Axton, and Owen West.
More about David Axton...

“Her lips were the texture of a dream, & her body against his felt like destiny.” 2 likes
“Politics was an illusion of service that cloaked the corruption of power.” 2 likes