Start by marking “The Lucky Guide to Mastering Any Style: How to Wear Iconic Looks and Make Them Your Own” as Want to Read:

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  404 ratings  ·  42 reviews
On the heels of the fabulously successful Lucky Shopping Manual comes the complete handbook for creating a great look based on ten iconic styles —packed with more than 450 color images.

With a circulation of 1.1 million, Lucky magazine has taken America’s most dedicated shoppers by storm, offering real-world advice and first-rate finds. Now the Lucky experts show how to pu
Published October 7th 2008 by Gotham

To ask other readers questions about The Lucky Guide to Mastering Any Style, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lucky Guide to Mastering Any Style

Style Statement by Carrie McCarthyLook Stunning At Any Size by Parimita ChakravortyThe Lucky Shopping Manual by Andrea LinettHarper's Bazaar Great Style by Jenny LevinEntre Nous by Debra Ollivier
Personal Style
9th out of 13 books — 6 voters
Divergent by Veronica RothClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareMiss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Books I Need to Buy, Like, NOW!
60th out of 103 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Doreen
Nov 04, 2008 Doreen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fashionistas, people looking to update their style
Helpful if you're looking to redesign your wardrobe a/o your life to make a statement. I, personally, could not imagine adopting just one of these iconic looks and wearing nothing but that for the rest of my life, but there are certainly helpful hints -- almost lookbooks, if you will -- on how to achieve any given style on any given day. Okay, maybe with a few days of shopping in advance. Mostly, though, it's a helpful guide to good basics for any wardrobe, depending on your style, and a welcome ...more
Lynecia
Mmars
Sensible guide to putting together an outfit, if you've an eye for color and shaping and a bit of imagination. Lots of pics of basic pieces grouped on a white background - reminded me of paper doll cutouts - that can be mixed & matched. This book has already inspired several unrecognized combos from my closet and $10 outfits from second-hand stores.

The expensive store stuff is unobtrusive & can be ignored.
Sonja Isaacson
I liked this enough that I wouldn't mind adding it to my shelf at home. It does of course have some flaws. I don't feel that they explain enough why each of the real-life ladies falls into once category over another. Plus all their little bio info - what music they listen to and movies they watch is pretty useless since it generally seems to have nothing to do with what they actually wear. Instead it should contain more about their life - their roles outside of work and how that also influences ...more
Liz De Coster
"Don't fit into a fabricated, preapproved box? Fuck off and die!"
Cori
This year, I have been trying to revamp my wardrobe a bit to try to accomodate all of my lives (office, casual, slob, work out). They have always been so disconnected from each other that it has been as though I am needing to maintain 4 separate wardrobes and I hate it. I bought myself a handful of books to get a little bit of help and this one was amongst those I picked out because of the high reviews.

Essentially, the book breaks down style into a iconic looks and gives examples of how to achie
Ciara
the overwhelming majority of folks who reviewed this books seemed to give it three stars, making it thoroughly average. this was my opinion as well--definitely full of some cute ideas & good advice, but not the most relevant across the board. the idea here is that the editors of "lucky" magazine (it is important to note here that they both used to work for "sassy" magazine) showcase ten iconic looks & create portfolios that are essentially look books, explaining how to achieve each style ...more
Renee
I was a charter subscriber to Lucky magazine. Purchased sight unseen based on a great magazine review in the Washington Post.

From the beginning I loved Lucky. They purposefully used real people and professional models rather than celebrities. I don't get 'celebrity style' because most of them use stylists and I think that's boring. I mean I like what they are wearing, but they didn't do it. At least with real people you know they put it together and with models it's obvious they didn't dress the
Phyllis
I'm not sure who the intended audience for this book was, as I doubt many women who don't care how they look are going to wake up one morning and say "I would really like to start dressing more like Charlotte Gainsbourg, but I do not know where to begin." For those who are already really into style, it's more of a book-length inspiration board, divided up into different style types like gamine, bohemian, bombshell, etc. Like most things associated with LUCKY Magazine it lurches drunkenly between ...more
Nothing life- (or wardrobe-) changing, but fun to look through. This has the typical Lucky magazine writing style, chock-full of adjectives and over-the-top superlatives. Basically what this book is is a breakdown of certain fashion archtypes--the Gamine, Euro chic, California Casual, etc; who's famously worn the look, movies that inspire it, real "Lucky Girls" who wear each look, and the "Essential Pieces" needed to pull it off. I enjoyed it mainly because this is the way I tend to think about ...more
Bethany
I kind of agree with everyone else on this book - it's pretty mediocre. However, as a fashionably challenged person, I appreciate what it offers. I like the defined styles. I'm very type A and I like knowing what category I fit into. However, the way they "modernize" each look runs together and every style feels very similar to the one before it.

Generally, I fall under the Euro Chic + American Classic categories. I picked up the book wanting to better define my style and learn what pieces will
Casey
I liked how this book gave 10 different styles instead of the typical 4. This helped me to find a style I actually liked, since I don't really fit into the main styles you usually see in fashion magazines. I did think that it needed more styles, though, especially since these are all "iconic" styles and not modern.

I liked how the book encouraged you to combine styles, since I don't really know anyone who wears one style exclusively.

The book gives "essential wardrobe pieces" for each style, as we
Booklover
Good reference book, found myself in categories bombshell and mod, what a strange combination. Would refer to this later, is updated for the times, not dated.
Eileen
You know, I've been reading lots of fashion books, because I am badly in need of new clothes that I actually like, and this one works well. But "works well" I mean "gives me lots of ideas", which is what I think fashion books and magazines are for (not "selling things"!). I am not ever going to just go straight for one particular style, but I am certainly going to cull clothing ideas from pretty much every style in the book. Also, how awesome are Kim France and Andrea Lee Linett? Who (er, who my ...more
Jenny
Jan 07, 2010 Jenny rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to discover their own style
Shelves: reference, all
I'm a fan of the magazine and their first book (which I also purchased), so it was obvious that I would order this book as soon as it came out. I like how this book is divided up by styles, with lovely photos to help you understand the key elements in each and combine the different styles to create your own. It definitely gave me a sense of what my style was (euro-chic and bombshell) and the shopping resources at where to find clothes that fit your style is just fantastic! I just wish they inclu ...more
Emily
Ooh, pretty pictures. It's fun to look through, but not all that instructive. There's no acknowledgment of peoples' size/shape, age, or geographic location. All the featured people are from NYC or LA. There's some mention of work/play and seasonal dressing, but not much. If I was writing this book, I'd take each style and show "beginning" through "advanced" versions of the looks, so that people could learn how to try out a style and then get more experimental with it.
Bethany Lockhart
The few times I've picked up Lucky magazine, I've been pretty bored and disappointed with the ads upon ads upon ads. But this book had such pretty pictures. Oooh shiny.... I thought the ensembles were creative and now that I live in a city where I see some people rockin their garbs like they're on a runway, it was interesting to see some of these looks broken down. Overall, fun, and gave me some ideas should I decide to step it up a notch.
Dori
This was a helpful style resource for me. When I first picked this book up, I didn't understand what the different clothing styles were, but this book demonstrates a wide variety of styles through its photos. I liked how the book showed both clothing AND examples of real life women who embody each style. This gave me some fun ideas for how to establish my own style as I continue to build my wardrobe, including using pieces I already own.
Alexandra
This was fun, easy to flip through. The shop guide was helpful but the best parts were the individual breakdowns of what pieces are iconic to certain styles (you'll probably wanna get yourself a tunic if you're going the bohemian route, etc), and the hints about what to splurge on and what to get when you can. I liked the one-piece-multiple-ways photo spreads.
Karena
I really like this book, but not able to read it cover to cover because it's more of an inspirational, thumb-through-it book. I like how it takes certain styles and gives you current fashions and shoes, dresses, etc. in order to create these iconic styles. I'm currently updating my wardrobe, and find it very useful to define what I'm looking for!
Reni
Of all the books I've read and own on style and wardrobe styling, this is easily my favorite. It breaks down the archetypes further than most to include oft-overlooked categories. There are staple items - apparel and accessories - as well as sample outfits. As is the standard with Lucky,the shopping guide is top-notch.
Jane
A nice guide with some good tips.

Since it covers many disparate styles, chances are a few chapters will be largely irrelevant for you, just because they don't mesh with your personal style.

I particularly enjoyed the tips about "how to buy the perfect tank top / jersey dress / pencil skirt, etc."
Anna
Style guide from Lucky. Appropriately heavy on pictures - mostly of just clothing/accessories, though also some of celebrities and real(ish) people sporting various looks. Also includes info on stores/boutiques/clothing lines to check out. A fun sort of thing to flip through for ideas.
Andrea
I got this book because I want new clothes and I wanted to look at the pictures. For those purposes it was good. I didn't try to learn all the style names or combinations, but I thought it was interesting that they have so many categories. Some of the categories look the same to me.
Heather
I cannot afford practically any of the brands and stores they suggest but I LOVE the ideas and essential pieces they suggest for each iconic style and how to mix and match them at the end. I can definitely take some of the ideas and work with them within my budget.
Jessica
I think this is a nice idea book for putting together a signature style. I'd give it five stars, but some of the sections didn't interest me very much, like rock and roll fashion. I think it could have also added more affordable stores to find the same looks.
Dana "DWJ"
A nice follow up to the first Lucky Guide to style. This one seems to break down the categories of style (classic, boho, mod...). It's always a great reference guide to have on hand, especially when you're looking to update your wardrobe.
Srilatha
This book lists global iconic looks and tells you how to get your own. I definitely liked the earlier Lucky book better.

The only thing I got from this book was, that I like Bohemian! Never realized that.
Angeline
Nov 20, 2008 Angeline rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adrienne
Recommended to Angeline by: Anastasia
I love clothes and fasion and clothing inspiration. This was a fun read, but there were a lot of 'skinny/cigarette' pants suggestions and these womanly hips don't do skinny pants.

So good I checked it out again.
Meh. Nothing new here. Also, perhaps it wasn't the best editorial choice to list "great boutique stores" for each style. Many of these pricey stores are now closed.
  • The Lucky Shopping Manual
  • InStyle: Instant Style: Your Season-by-Season Guide for Work and Weekend
  • The Bombshell Manual of Style
  • Style Statement: Live By Your Own Design
  • The Style Strategy: A Less-Is-More Approach to Staying Chic and Shopping Smart
  • How to Be a Budget Fashionista: The Ultimate Guide to Looking Fabulous for Less
  • The Fashion File: Advice, Tips, and Inspiration from the Costume Designer of Mad Men
  • The ELLEments of Personal Style: 25 Modern Fashion Icons on How to Dress, Shop, and Live
  • That Extra Half an Inch: Hair, Heels and Everything in Between
  • A Guide to Elegance: For Every Woman Who Wants to Be Well and Properly Dressed on All Occasions
  • InStyle: Secrets of Style: The Complete Guide to Dressing Your Best Every Day