Start by marking “Hideaway” as Want to Read:
Hideaway

Hideaway

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  26,615 Ratings  ·  424 Reviews
He was clinically dead after the accident—but was miraculously revived. Now Hatch Harrison and his wife approach each day with a new appreciation for life.

But something has come back with Hatch from the other side. A terrible presence that links his mind to a psychotic's, so that a force of murderous rage courses through him.
Published July 5th 2005 by Berkley (first published January 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Hideaway, please sign up.

Theresa Kana brown Yes it is mostly, but its also about how evil returned to the world after someone died and was brought back to life.
Odd Thomas by Dean KoontzWatchers by Dean KoontzIntensity by Dean KoontzLightning by Dean KoontzLife Expectancy by Dean Koontz
Best Dean Koontz Books
32nd out of 76 books — 767 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerPet Sematary by Stephen King
Best Horror Novels
181st out of 1,388 books — 4,263 voters

More lists with this book...

Mike
Jun 20, 2008 Mike rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No
Recommended to Mike by: Jerks
Koontz blows.
John
Dec 17, 2010 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, thriller
Koontz's novels range anywhere from awful to brilliant. After reading a couple of his more mediocre ones in high school, I had pretty much written him off as a poor man's Stephen King and moved on to other horror writers like Clive Barker and H.P. Lovecraft. Hideaway, though, showcases Koontz at the height of his talent, and it's a surprisingly powerful, intensely gruesome read. I decided to give it a chance--partly because I found it at a thrift shop for less than a dollar, and partly because I ...more
Lindsey Lynn
3.5/5 Stars

I haven't dived into the horror or thriller genre much recently so I was hoping for something that would shock and amaze. I absolutely enjoyed the writing but the ending was just a bit far fetched in my mind so I didn't love it. I really wanted to spend more time in Jeremy's head, it was just so scary and fascinating when he spoke so politely with his victims. I'm sure I'll read another Koontz book in the future, might just be a while.
Nov 13, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it
I loved the characterization in this book. I have found that on the surface, Dean Koontz may appear to be a shallow, mass producer of books, but as I read more of them I realize how well-developed many of his characters are. He has a strong theme of the battle between good and evil in many of his books that I find I really enjoy. I particularly liked the big reveal at the end of this book that explained why the mian character Hatch was able to channel the demon Vassago. There was a movie made of ...more
Briana Patterson
Feb 12, 2008 Briana Patterson rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Dean Koontz doing what he always does best. That's the impression that I was left with after reading this book. I enjoy the style and his ability to step out beyond the lines of what you might expect. Some of his stuff comes off as almost absurd, like an element of science fiction or fantasy dropping into what seemed to be a avereage modern society setting.

Hideaway is no exception to this.

However, I find that sometimes find that Koontz isn't quite at his best. I said this is what he does best,
Helen Deakin
Oct 22, 2015 Helen Deakin rated it really liked it
Was a very interesting and well thought out book. Had me hooked and wanting to find out what was happening with ever page I turned. Had I had more reading time, this is one of those books I would have polished off in a couple days. A solid read.
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
Oh my. Another Dean Koontz novel. Everytime I pick one of his books up I know four or five things are going to happen.

1º There's always a puppy (in this one there wasn't - which surprised me)
2º The main characters are always perfect. They are always knights in shinning armour. They have no faults whatsoever. (In this book it was true)
3º The Evil doer is always Chaotic Evil. If this was Dungeons and Dragons the guy was that one guy that chaotic evil characters are afraid of. He is that evil.
Maciek
Hideaway continues the ongoing theme of Koontz's fiction: Good vs Evil. And if you've read some Koontz before, you know his stance.

To give the man some credit, the novel does open with a bang: a car accident that's vividly written and riveting, and almost justifies all the praise this work has received. But after the first 100 or so pages Hideaway looses it's appeal; even the excessive gore cannot overshadow Koontz's usual clumsy characterization and terrible dialogue. Koontz excessively draws o
Mark R.
Dec 10, 2009 Mark R. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read a lot of Dean Koontz's books when I was in high school. In the past few years, I've read a few, and they usually keep my interest. His novels feature a lot of similar scenes and scenarios (frequently an evil serial killer trying to track down a protagonist who's all heart, though with a possibly tortured past, and often a friendly canine companion), and some are great, some are OK, but they're never boring.

"Hideaway" was the first of his that I read, when I was fourteen, and has always be
Rayroy
Mar 23, 2013 Rayroy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this in high school, I guess Dean Koontz is a good author if you haven't read the likes of John Steinbeck, Don Delillo, Thomas Pynchon, Douglas Coupland,Cormac McCrathy, Ken Kesey,or Martin Amis, to name a few. If you only get your books at airport gift shops, and you read mostly the likes of Janet Evanovich, John Grisham and Harlan Coban, what I would like to call the blockbuster writers, the Jason Bays and John Carpenters of the literature world. Writers that write for the big players, ...more
TQM Doctor
Dec 18, 2008 TQM Doctor rated it liked it
I've read this book many times but now that I'm a bit older (40's), I am a bit turned off by the incredible amount of evil exposed in this book by Koontz spending so much time in the mind of the demonic villain. Koontz uses a balance formula when he creates his "good" and "bad" characters. The contrast of the extremely evil encourages me to no only side with the good guy but to empathize to much a greater degree. An interesting book but not for the weak of spirit.
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
I believe this is the second time I have read Hideaway. I used an audiobook by Brilliance Audio to help me through this the second time and at the end of that program is a fun, insightful interview with Dean Koontz. I love the character of Regina. I love the setting of an abandoned amusement park. This story tells of interconnections and Koontz is not afraid to explore very dark territory.
Bridget
Apr 02, 2012 Bridget rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow.

Every time I read another Koontz book, I'm bowled over by the fact that HE GETS IT. He sees the supernatural in everything and everyone. He not only rejects the material consequences of evil ideas, but their very roots. In Koontz's worlds, as in real life, something is evil not because its fruit is rotten; its fruit is rotten because it is evil.

Now to more specific stuff. If you want to read a vampire story written for people with more than half a brain, this is it. Technically, the bad guy
George
May 01, 2015 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
"Το κρησφύγετο", εκδόσεις Bell.

Σχεδόν εννιά μήνες πέρασαν από την τελευταία φορά που διάβασα βιβλίο του Ντιν Κουντζ, αν είναι δυνατόν! Λοιπόν, αυτό είναι το δέκατο βιβλίο του συγγραφέα που διαβάζω, μπορεί να μην είναι και από τα καλύτερά του, προσωπικά όμως με άφησε ικανοποιημένο. Πριν τρία χρόνια είχα δει την ταινία του 1995 με πρωταγωνιστή τον Jeff Goldblum, από την οποία δεν θυμάμαι και πολλές λεπτομέρειες, πέραν του ότι ήταν μάλλον χαμηλών προδιαγραφών, αλλά ό,τι πρέπει για να περάσει η ώρα.
Graham
Jun 11, 2013 Graham rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, thriller
I'm quite ambivalent towards Dean Koontz. I've read a few of his books, and while I find them pretty readable and straightforward, none of them have truly blown me away and left me wanting more. The last one I tried was THE HUSBAND, so I decided to go back to one of his earlier titles, the early-'90s effort, HIDEAWAY.

This is a book with plenty of flaws and detractions, but some truly compelling stuff hidden within the pages too. It starts off on a sour note, with an exceptionally long winded des
Dec 19, 2011 Jennifer rated it did not like it
Nenette
This is only the second Koontz novel that I've read and already, I am awed by his creativity, very much in agreement with the observation that stories such as this "could come only from the mind of Dean Koontz".

I would have given it a higher rating if not for the quite too early revelations on the identity of the antagonist. I also found this to be true with Whispers. Just the same, he did not totally disappoint.... Even with such revelations, one would still plow ahead with the story to find ou
Athena
Aug 07, 2011 Athena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I knew even before I got to the middle of this book that I would rate it two stars. In the beginning, when the drowning scene occurs, the story had a chance; the characters were well developed and the details were impervious, and there was a lot of suspense, but Koontz gave most of the story away early on. The character Vassago, who renamed himself after dying, then resuscitated and returned to the living, chose that specific name because it was one of the crowned princes from Hell. Vassago, his ...more
Sezín Koehler
Once I realised that I needed a break from the insanity of National Novel Writing Month, I plucked this one off my shelf because I hadn't re-read it in over 10 years and also because it is set in Southern California, one of the places in which American Monsters Book II takes places.

"Hideaway" is fantastic! Written before Koontz started writing these very insipid novels, this one is full of gruesome events, well-written, and a really interesting story that brings up lots of questions of the natu
Craig
Feb 06, 2012 Craig rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: supernatural
Worst. Ending. Ever.
The beginning was okay but it slowly got worse from there. About two thirds through there is an unnecessarily long car/foot chase, (50-70 pages) from the suburbs to the outskirts of a city followed by an abrupt and silly conclusion within a paragraph during the showdown. I really cannot convey how furious I am after reading this nonsense.
As a bonus the edition I had contained a new afterword by Koontz. I had hoped he would apologize or offer some kind of explanation for such
Jason Sullivan
This book took a long time to get going and it wasn't until a little over half way through that it started getting somewhat interesting. The story did get redundant at times when the author would describe something through Vessago eyes and then describe the same thing through Hatch's eyes. There were also a few holes in the story, for example, when Hatch was searching his home for an intruder and in the garage he sees a footprint on the hood of the car, he looks up and sees the doorway into the ...more
Tom
Feb 28, 2014 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok I guess my faith in Mr. KOONTZ has been restored. Loved this book. Nice ending that made sense. Something that I felt was lacking in a lot of his books. So I guess I put a few more titles in the old tbr pile.
Patrick Gibson
Mar 05, 2010 Patrick Gibson rated it liked it
Shelves: horror-of-it
There was a time when I thought Dean Koontz wrote circles around Stephen King. He wasn’t famous. He had a cult following and he made you feel like you just discovered someone cool. He was the anti-King you could keep to yourself or share with a selected few. Koontz, of course, went the way of all flesh and began cranking them out and repeating himself. Fame? Well, if ‘Family Guy’ rips on you, fame has become your enemy. I haven’t read a Koontz novel since Odd Thomas became a regular character. T ...more
Adelaine Pek
Nov 30, 2015 Adelaine Pek rated it really liked it
Initially published in January 1992, the year I was born, this book's only flaw was the pacing. Let me clarify that the only reason it lacked the one heart to make it a fully complete five stars is this: I have a problem with the pacing.

Maybe it is the style of the author to write books with this kind of pacing to build the momentum (I have no idea as this is the first time I am reading this author's work) and it is completely an individual preference thing, but I struggled all the way until 80%
Lori
My husband and I used to very much enjoy reading or listening to audio books together. Hideaway was one of them. I will never forget the characters Hatch & Lindsey Harrison (husband and wife). Such a kind and gentle married couple who find themselves thrown into one helluva predicament and then another and then another. This lovely couple had already lost a son five years and if that could not be enough, along with Hatch nearly drowning when his car goes into a lake (if I remember correctly ...more
Christopher Andrews
Dec 23, 2015 Christopher Andrews rated it it was ok
Charity
Mar 28, 2015 Charity rated it liked it
This is my first Dean Koontz book and it was an interesting experience. The (new) afterward is hilarious, showcasing the author's sense of humor and outrage over the botched film adaptation of his book.

The novel itself takes awhile to go anywhere; Koontz has a decent voice and a grasp of characters. Regina, the child heroine around which much of the later plot pivots, is a truly magnificent, engaging, charming, and delightful kid. Sadly, it takes awhile to meet her -- chapters upon chapters deta
Gloria Johnson
Apr 30, 2013 Gloria Johnson rated it really liked it
I'm on a mission to read all of Koontz's novels. This one was written quite a while back, but I hadn't read it. Once again, I am impressed with his magic with words/language. His descriptions are so vivid that you can see/hear/smell what he is detailing. The characters were very interesting, and the plot moved along rapidly, holding my attention throughout. I really enjoyed the book, though it is not for the squeamish.
Barbara
Nov 29, 2014 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, thriller
Un thriller/horror che affascina e tiene con il fiato sospeso.
Complice l'ottima scrittura, le riflessioni per nulla scontate e affascinanti sulla natura del male e della vita, protagonisti che non si lasciano mai cogliere impreparati e un cattivo davvero particolare.
Vassago richiama un po' il canone del vampiro senza però esserlo, come un vampiro si nutre di morte, vive al buio ed è sensibilissimo alla luce. Ma non è un reietto qualunque, dotato di un piano ben preciso e dell'intelligenza necess
  • The House of Thunder
  • The Voice of the Night
  • Fear that Man / Toyman (Ace Double, 23140)
  • Dragonfly
  • Demon Child
  • The Astronaut's Wife
  • The Dean Koontz Companion
  • Invasion
  • The Unwanted

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...

“Maybe from now on the bittersweet memory of a child lost would be only the sweet memory of a child loved. And maybe, henceforth, it would not be a memory so heavy that it oppressed the heart.” 1 likes
“an elevator. The doors of the elevator were gone, as were the cab and the lift mechanism, sold for reuse or for scrap.” 1 likes