3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  38,420 ratings  ·  1,118 reviews
Dean Koontz's unique talent for writing terrifying thrillers with a heart and soul is nowhere more evident than in this latest suspense masterpiece that pits one man against the ultimate deadline. If there were speed limits for the sheer pulse-racing excitement allowed in one novel, "Velocity" would break them all. Get ready for the ride of your life.
Bill Wile is...more
Published April 25th 2006 by Bantam (first published 2005)

Watchers by Dean KoontzOdd Thomas by Dean KoontzIntensity by Dean KoontzLightning by Dean KoontzLife Expectancy by Dean Koontz
Best Dean Koontz Books
7th out of 69 books — 658 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingThe Stand by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerIt by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen King
The Definitive Horror Book List
167th out of 791 books — 1,009 voters

More lists with this book...

Chris
Usually people go on smoke breaks at work to take a break from their routine paper-pushing to talk all raw about chicks and cuss a lot. Thank god where I work I can do these things from the comfort of my desk, so when I go on a smoke break I can talk about things that actually take up to ten minutes to discuss (seeing as I’ve been seeing the same chick for years I don’t have much in the way of interesting conversation anyway). Sometimes I will rap about the futility of Chicago football, usually...more
Maciek
Velocity is the essence of mass-market fiction. Billy Wiles, an everyman bartender finds a note under the windshield of his car - If he takes it to the police, a schoolteacher will die. If he doesn't, an old woman will be killed. Billy visits his cop friend and tells him about the note. The cop thinks it's a hoax and tells Billy to dismiss it. It turns out it's not - the schoolteacher dies. Billy starts receiving other notes, forcing our bartender to choose the fate of people that are close to h...more
Richard
This is the first Dean Koontz novel I have ever read. I had thought of him as a sort of lesser version of Stephen King--pulpy and popular. While there was that in this novel, it was well crafted. The protagonist, Billy Wiles, proved to be a complex character. The identity of the villain was kept secret until close to the end. And there were literary allusions sprinkled throughout the book, which was a refreshing surprise.

The final scene seemed a little facile, and the villain seemed a little to...more
Alejandro
This is indeed a novel with speed incorporated. As the title "Velocity" hints the rhythm of the narrative. You are barely getting comfy on your seat when you realize that you need to fasten your seatbelt right away! The premise is simple but performed in a brilliant and very entertaining way. You will like real quick the protagonist and you will fear even quicker to the antagonist. Nothing is left to the chance. You will witness a carefull crafted masterful plan by the villain. I enjoyed in the...more
Beth Frink
This book was an easy read--couldn't put the book down. Very interesting, and really makes you think. What would you do, if you were given a choice like this?
Sarah Sammis
Velocity starts with death by garden gnome and gets weirder from there.

The back of the book has the message: "If you don’t take this note to the police and get them involved, I will kill a lovely blond schoolteacher. If you do take this note to the police, I will instead kill an elderly woman active in charity work. You have four hours to decide. The choice is yours." Going on that piece of information alone, one might think that Velocity will be a typical "ticking time bomb" type thriller; it i...more
Holly
Apr 24, 2008 Holly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: who like fast pased murder mysteries
Recommended to Holly by: DJ CC
Dean Koontz’s unique talent for writing terrifying thrillers with a heart and soul is nowhere more evident than in this latest suspense masterpiece that pits one man against the ultimate deadline. If there were speed limits for the sheer pulse-racing excitement allowed in one novel, Velocity would break them all. Get ready for the ride of your life.

Troy
Velocity certainly interested me enough to encourage quick reading, so the skeleton of the story can't be that bad. But I can only give it the two-star "it's okay" rating because everything about the novel, except its spine, seemed to be too thin. I guess I mean that several things happened so quickly that Koontz forgot to make any explanatory links between them. The novel felt very thrown together, as if maybe the author had promised to write something, but was very behind. Variations on the un...more
Alex
Velocity by Dean Koontz
Napa County California seems to be a quiet place were not much really happens but things change when Billy Whiles gets off work at the local bar and finds a note under his windshield stating "If you don't take this note to the police and get them involved, I will kill a lovely blond schoolteacher. If you do take this note to the police, I will instead kill an elderly woman active in charity work. You have four hours to decide. The choice is yours." Billy takes the note to...more
Jane Stewart
I like suspense and danger but not this type of suspense and danger.

I purchased this three years ago. I could not finish it. I did not do a review at the time thinking Koontz was not an author for me. Recently I read Lightning by Koontz and loved it. Therefore I’m now reading several of his books. I’m posting this as part of a group of reviews for comparison purposes - for readers who have tastes similar to mine.

I was frustrated, afraid, and felt hopeless watching Bill being threatened and manip...more
paris

بيلي الشاب الطيب الذي يعمل بكد ..
والذي لايملك في حياته إلا كتبه ..
ورعاية حبيبته والتي دخلت غييبوبة بسبب تسمم غذائي ..
كل شيء هاديء وجيد ومثالي ..
حتى ..

ذاتَ مساء بدأت الحكاية ..
يخرجُ بيلي من عمله ..
ليواجه كابوساً .. عندما بدأ مختلٌ
بإرسال رسائل تهديد بقتل أناس لا يعرفهم ..
مع موعد نهائي ..
" وتحدي يقول الخيار خيارك
"

تقتل مدرسة شقراء ثم تصل رسالة أخرى ..
فيعرف بيلي أنه قاتل جاد ...
مجرد التصور انكم قد تكونون مكان بيلي كافِ لإرعابكم ..
وشجاعته فقط مع نضاله من أجل من يحب ..
سيخرجه من هذا الموقف ..
والن
David
Velocity is the first Dean Koontz novel that I have read, primarily because he writes in a genre I am not particularly fond of. Actually that’s not really true – I like a good thriller, but I am a pretty squeamish kind of guy, and Koontz (or so the book blurbs would imply) has a tendency to delve into the darker and more horrific sides of human nature. Having said that, I must admit I really enjoyed Velocity. I couldn’t put it down, turning the pages into the wee small hours of the morning.

Gener...more
Kasia
Reading this book was quite fun, perhaps best described as feeling very lucky for not being in the main character's shoes. For a regular young guy keeping busy by bar tending, Billy Wiles is not very remarkable until we see him in distress. Out of the blue his life is being pulled in all sorts of crazy directions and the puppeteer pulling all his strings is a total freak who plays twisted mind games and plants all sorts of discriminating evidence in Billy's house, memorabilia of his past killing...more
Momo
Velocity was the first book that I ever read by Dean Koontz. The idea of the book was original and creative. The plot alone was interesting enough to ensure that the book wouldn’t be “bad” but that doesn’t mean that it didn’t disappoint.

The first chapter throws Bill into a crazy inescapable situation and you’re immediately eager to find out what Bill will chose and what the next note will bring. There are a lot of questions the reader will develop throughout the story because the source of the n...more
Matt Barker
This was a fantastic book from beginning to end. Once you start reading this book, you will not be able to put it down until it is all over.

Publisher's Summary

Bill Wile is an easygoing, hardworking guy who leads a quiet, ordinary life. But that is about to change. One evening, after his usual eight-hour bartending shift, he finds a typewritten note under the windshield wiper of his car.

If you don't take this note to the police and get them involved, I will kill a lovely blond schoolteacher. If y...more
Izzy
A very interesting, precisely detailed (more on that later), spine-tingling murder thriller. The way Koontz writes keeps you riveted, because he pays attention to every detail, the way Billy Wiles carves wood, decorates his house, eats, or even sneaks into a house that may or may not contain a vicious, cunning killer. Not perfect, but perfectly designed to keep you reading while simultaneously freaking you out. Scary, mysterious, and thrilling. Towards the end it can get a bit graphic, but that'...more
Michael
"Life you may evade, but death you shall not."
This is my first Koontz book. I had heard he was similar to Stephen King. While I'm not sure if I agree with that after reading this book, I definitely have found a great author who I'll try to continue to read.

This book is a gripping, thrilling roller-coaster. An average bartender has his life dramatically change after becoming the pawn in the sick and twisted mind games of a psychopath.

Koontz does a magnificent job with suspense, keeping you gue...more
DoodlePanda
Dean Koontz at his best!

Billy is just a man working in a bar. Until a murderer decides to play a game. Against his will Billy is drawn into a race against time. Will he discover who the killer is before it's too late?

This book keeps you guessing who the killer is, with a lot of twist and turns. The suspense lasts till the very end.

I really enjoyed reading this book, would recommend!!
Michael Stretton
I don't know why some people are so complicated with their reviews - if you've read the book you either liked it of didn't. Someone complaining about it being believable or not...... it doesn't matter. People go to the cinema to watch films that are unbelievable and still enjoy them so why not a book?

The first book I read of Dean Koontz was "The Husband" and it was written in the same style or vein as The Velocity. This book made me laugh, made me listen to the noises at night after I'd laid dow...more
Darlene
This audio book was written by Dean Koontz and was narrated by Michael Hayden.

I have read many Dean Koontz novels throughout the years and I am a fan of his "Odd Thomas" series, in particular. This book, "Velocity" started out very suspensefully. The story takes place in the Napa Valley part of California and features on character in particular... Billy Wiles. Billy is an interesting character... although he is a bartender, we find that outside of his job, he is really somewhat of a recluse. He...more
Rusty
I don't blame Koontz for writing a crappy book. I blame myself for reading it. "Twilight Eyes" is the only reason I ever pick up a Koontz novel. I keep thinking that someone with the talent to write suck a book had to have written something else worthwhile.

Maybe so, but folks, this ain't it.
Brad Bourne
If I could have given this no stars, I would. I will read a copy of the Gutenberg Bible from start to finish before I read another book by Dean Koontz.
J.S. Bailey
This was a fast, entertaining read. I thought the bad guy's motives were a little iffy, though.
Yasmine
The book striked my curiosity, my attraction to mystery, and my purse.

The back cover posted a note from a nobody that told Billy Wiles to choose whether to let a lovely blond school teacher be killed if he didn't report it to the cop, or to let an old woman active in charity work die if he did bring it to the cop.

As a brooding, none-of-my-business 34 year old bartender, Billy is picturized to be a very sad, calm, yet full of measurements when he had to clean up for every trace of his involvement...more
Johnny
“Velocity” is the start of a new era of Koontz books. Referred to as “high concept” novels, these are stories which I like to dub as “straightforward thrillers”. They take place in a short timespan – which isn’t an exclusive quality, of course; they concentrate more on action than on character development; and they’re basically about a normal, everyday guy being confronted with a peculiar situation.

In “Velocity”, bartender Billy Wiles is being contacted by a merciless killer, pulling him into a...more
Todd
Velocity is another Koontz novel in which we watch the protagonist taken through more twists and turns than a person has a right to survive, yet amazingly the guy does.

This story is more a story about transformation than other books by Koontz. The lead character is taken on a breakneck ride over a few days. He is taken from mild mannered bar tender to ... well you'll have to read.

What I liked most about the book was watching this man become something he fears. The journey is more than it seems...more
Tom
Aug 18, 2010 Tom rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: crime novel fans
Local tavern bartender, Billy is drawn into a cat and mouse game with a mysterious unknown “freak” who ensnares him into a plot of serial killing high jinks.
This was my first Dean Koontz book and I have to say I wasn't very impressed. The story was interesting but otherwise unbelievable. I am all for suspending belief but this novel asks a bit too much of the reader.
Billy moved through the story in an almost robotic nature, disposing of dead bodies like one would dispose of used tissues. The ab...more
Brandon
I've been listening to a lot of podcasts lately; one in particular that has recently been added to my weekly list is "Books on the Nightstand". The title is pretty self explanatory as it involves two people talking about what books they like while making a few recommendations to their listeners. One of the first episodes I listened to gave me a recommendation to Dean Koontz' Velocity. At this point, I've only heard the author's name thrown around - I've heard nothing neither good nor bad about h...more
Marco
Apr 09, 2010 Marco rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Thriller and mystery readers.
Recommended to Marco by: A recurring and mysterious thread in my life.
Shelves: mystery, thriller
I have to admit that I always thought writers like Dean Koontz were hacks, kind of like King. There's no nuance, nothing deeper to their work, it's all sleazy airport thriller. Which is fine, if you like that sort of thing, and just that sort of thing, but I don't usually.

But this particular book has kept coming back to find me and entice me. The plot is ridiculously simple, with the main character getting off work and finding a note on his windshield. It says: "If you don’t take this note to th...more
Sara Shaw
This book was very disturbing. It began with an annoying guy named Ned telling a *tourist* how his annoying neighbor got killed by a garden gnome that looked like Ned, by trying to piss on his living room windows from Ned's roof.. So he fell and died. The irony.
If you think that's too much, then don't read this book. Because much more disturbing stuff lie ahead. But no, you should definitely read this book. It got boring for one chapter which is when he visited Ivy, but the other 76 chapters wer...more
  • Shadow Fires
  • The Funhouse
  • Three Complete Novels: Shattered / Whispers / Watchers
  • The Dean Koontz Companion
  • Blood Risk (Tucker Series, #1)
  • Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, Volume 1: Prodigal Son
  • The Rip-Off
  • Dragonfly
  • The Manhattan Hunt Club
  • Crime Wave: Reportage and Fiction from the Underside of L.A.

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na...more
More about Dean Koontz...
Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) Watchers Intensity Phantoms Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2)

“Inaction counted as a choice.” 32 likes
“A fine line separates the weary recluse from the fearful hermit. Finer still is the line between hermit and bitter misanthrope.” 19 likes