Start by marking “Baksheesh and Brahman: Asian Journals-India (Works)” as Want to Read:
Baksheesh and Brahman: Asian Journals-India (Works)

Baksheesh and Brahman: Asian Journals-India (Works)

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  64 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
After ten years of intensive study of Indian art and philosophy, Joseph Campbell, at 50, finally embarked on a journey to India. Searching for the transcendent (Brahman), he found instead stark realities: growing nationalism, religious rivalry, poverty, and a prevalent culture of what he called “baksheesh,” or alms. This journal chronicles the disillusionment and revelatio ...more
cloth, 400 pages
Published August 13th 2002 by New World Library (first published 1995)

Michael
May 20, 2015 Michael rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed the book. A very human but insightful view of a brilliant man trying to reconcile myth and religion with the culture of the time. The process was as interesting as the insights gained. A man I would like to have known, I think.
David Melbie
Dec 11, 2010 David Melbie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans only!
Recommended to David by: I'm a big fan.
I know, it appears that it took eight months to read this one -- well, it did take me that long! I pecked away at it until today, when I finished it.

Campbell's journals are fun to read, being a journal-keeper myself. Very enlightening and informative on ancient India, as well as the politics of the time (1954 - 1955). --From A Reader's Journal, by d r melbie.
Robert Dietrich
Jul 04, 2012 Robert Dietrich rated it really liked it
Interesting mix of cultural and religious insights regarding the period in India's history and mundane (but rarely boring) details regarding his travels. Documents the changes Campbell was going through regarding his feelings about the strengths and weaknesses of the east and west.
Maggie Nowakowska
Aug 17, 2007 Maggie Nowakowska rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
For anyone who has enjoyed Campbell's work, this and the companion book on Japan are must reads. These diaries capture his thought at a crucial time for him and you experience the way he worked through ideas. Also, he's a great writer and in a way, this is a bit of a travelogue.
Mike
Apr 19, 2008 Mike rated it liked it
The master of mythology studies travelled India for a year as a young man, and this is his journal.
Jun 19, 2012 Laura rated it it was ok
Had some good points of interest but not people oriented enough for me.
Tom Winkelspecht Jr
Tom Winkelspecht Jr marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Tuğba Ekler
Tuğba Ekler marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Fuad
Fuad marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
treus
treus rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Lochlair
Lochlair marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Michael Towns
Michael Towns rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2015
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Leonardo
Leonardo marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Alireza Vahdani
Alireza Vahdani rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2015
Bharath Ramakrishnan
Bharath Ramakrishnan marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Mark Richardson
Mark Richardson rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2015
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Stephen Caldwell
Stephen Caldwell rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2015
Fouad
Fouad marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
James Willaman
James Willaman rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2015
James Willaman
James Willaman rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2015
Jordana
Jordana is currently reading it
May 17, 2015
Teresa
Teresa is currently reading it
Apr 25, 2015
Arwa
Arwa marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
20105
Joseph John Campbell was an American mythology professor, writer, and orator best known for his work in the fields of comparative mythology and comparative religion.
More about Joseph Campbell...