The Hannibal Lecter Trilogy

The Hannibal Lecter Trilogy

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  526 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Includes three international bestsellers, Red Dragon, The Silence of the Lambs, and Hannibal.
Published November 3rd 2005 by William Heinemann Ltd. (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Hannibal Lecter Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hannibal Lecter Trilogy

The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia HighsmithOthello by William ShakespeareLes Misérables by Victor HugoThe Hannibal Lecter Trilogy by Thomas HarrisThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Vilest Man in Fiction
3rd out of 45 books — 21 voters
Stiff by Mary RoachThe Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales by Oliver SacksThe Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca SklootOne Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken KeseyThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
Medicine and Literature
316th out of 956 books — 1,105 voters

More lists with this book...

Christine
I first stumbled upon Red Dragon at age 14, and was amazed by it all. I had never read anything even remotely similar. In fact, the closest I had come was King's Carrie. It was my gateway into the world of psychological thrillers, and at this point I simply cannot turn back. Harris did an excellent job in capturing the horrific and violent genius that is Dr. Hannibal Lecter. The movie adaptations, in all honesty, did no justice, and that is why I recommend the quartet of books in even higher reg...more
Roy
May 26, 2010 Roy added it
Man I'm not even worried about grammar besides implying that this book is phenomenal. There's a certain unique quality that singles out this book; including that once you have seen the movie you will relate from the movie to the book. It sets your mind in that kind of era.
Mary Baldwin
Having watched the Movies 'Hannibal' and 'SotL' many years ago, I had forgotten most if not all of the plot. I read the three books back to back which is probably the longest run of fiction I've done in a while.

Red Dragon is my favourite of the trilogy, followed by Silence of the Lambs and finally Hannibal.

The characterisation and procedural elements to the story are first rate, but by the time the plot hits Italy in Hannibal, it becomes more of. rushed commentary.

Perhaps I would rate it more hi...more
Kaarmin
I read all three out of order (First Hannibal, then Red Dragon, then Silence of the Lambs). When I started reading them, the only movie I saw was Silence of the Lambs. All three were much better than the movies, especially Hannibal. The movie leaves out many important parts, incluing Mason Verger's sister. Eventhough Silence is in my Top 5 fav movies of all time, the book is slightly better.
Devon Green
I freaking love these books. One of the few mystery authors I will re-read again and again. Harris is a masterful writer, with perfect descriptors, a delicious "villian", and a true gift for language. Pretty much perfect thrillers, all three. And Brian Cox plays him pitch-perfect with all his charm and swagger in the original movie. Gimme his charm and swagger any day.
Ann Barlow
I read this book when I was traveling. It must have been 20 years ago or not far off.

It scared the living daylights out of me. So much so that I put a chair against my hotel door room.

It was a brilliant read, the character and the plot was so believable and the pace was excellent.

I could not put it down (scared as I was) until I finished.

Mike MacConnell
Excellent. This is a must read for fans of the one and only Hannibal Lecter. My personal favorite is Silence of The Lambs; Hannibal's passages in said story are particularly creepy, and it'll keep you hooked, wanting more. If you like your horror stories with a brain (as well as heart, lungs, and earlobes) you'll enjoy this collection.
Bruno Gagnon
Never seen the movie, never will; how violent this story was whit no reason to it. I was hopping to understand more the character that I first known through The Silence of the Lambs movie and through the book. I had nightmares for a few days...I don't recommend it
Jerome Pandell
Of this trilogy,

-both movie adaptations of RED DRAGON are far inferior to the book;

- SILENCE OF THE LAMBS the movie is better than the book; and

- HANNIBAL the book looks like craven commercialism when one sees the movie.
Kendra
all three as a whole were worth the time. this does not included hannibal rising, and i wouldn't waste my breathe on it, written after the movie wrapped. enough said. the original trilogy out does all of the movies, except "lambs" of course.
Kathryn
Can't give these book enough praise - you'll just have to read them for yourself.

~For anyone who is deterred by assuming it's full of "gore", etc. - It's actually not like that at all, the books are intelligent, descriptive, and very 'human'...
Beck
Nobody seems to want to discuss what a terrible ending "Hannibal" had. Other than this unbelievable and anger inducing ending, the books were very enjoyable.
Nati
mi villano favorito el Lecter :) como analiza la mente de sus victimas, y lo educado y caballero que es
Mike
I actually read these separately, but this seemed the lazy man's way of adding them. Good stuff!
Shell
Enjoyed all 4 books. Sick in parts but expected as much. Worth a read
Milena
Absolutely adore them.
Angie
Apr 04, 2013 Angie added it
love the hannibal tale!!!!
Bianca apolonio
loved all of them!
Cassie Thaw
Cassie Thaw marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Nicole
Nicole is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2014
Christie Williams
Christie Williams marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Sky
Sky marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
  • Winter Hawk (Mitchell Gant, #3)
  • Doctor Who and the Pyramids of Mars
  • The Family: The Real Story of the Bush Dynasty
  • James Herriot's Yorkshire: A Guided Tour Through the Beloved Land of All Creatures Great and Small
  • Stone Bruises
  • Doctor Who: Vampire Science
  • Astonish Yourself: 101 Experiments in the Philosophy of Everyday Life
  • Masters of Reality: The Gathering (The Ancient Future, #3)
  • Fünf (Beatrice Kaspary, #1)
  • Revenge (Trinity, #2)
  • Amokspiel
  • Vollidiot
  • Right to Life (Cemetery Dance Novella Series, #4)
  • Haunted Lily: The Nightmare Ball
  • The Lost World and Other Stories
  • The Tamuli Omnibus (The Tamuli, #1-3)
  • Morgue Drawer Four (Morgue Drawer, #1)
  • The Executioner (Robert Hunter, #2)
Thomas Harris began his writing career covering crime in the United States and Mexico, and was a reporter and editor for the Associated Press in New York City. His first novel, Black Sunday, was printed in 1975, followed by Red Dragon in 1981, The Silence of the Lambs in 1988, Hannibal in 1999, and Hannibal Rising in 2006.
More about Thomas Harris...
The Silence of the Lambs  (Hannibal Lecter, #2) Red Dragon (Hannibal Lecter, #1) Hannibal (Hannibal Lecter, #3) Hannibal Rising (Hannibal Lecter, #4) Black Sunday