Start by marking “Otto Runs For President” as Want to Read:
Otto Runs For President

Otto Runs For President

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  104 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
A hilarous and satisfying election story from renowned author-illustrator Rosemary Wells.

It's election time at Barkadelphia School, and popular kids Tiffany and Charles are already in the running. Unfortunately, they care a bit more about winning than they do about their voters. Before long, little Otto thows his hat in the ring; he doesn't have a flashy campaign, but he d
Published June 1st 2008 by Scholastic Press (first published May 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Otto Runs For President, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Otto Runs For President

Susan
Nov 26, 2014 Susan rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s
I think this book goes over the heads of its intended audience. I am not sure the author (one I have a great deal of respect for usually) knew what audience she was trying to reach with this one. Focuses too much on nasty behavior and not enough on the steady behavior of the main character. Won't be reading this to kids again.
Valerie Jones
Oct 23, 2012 Valerie Jones rated it it was amazing
A great children’s book about elections and what really matters
It is election time at Barkadelphia School and the competition is fierce. Tiffany a brown poodle is the prettiest and most popular girl, and she wants to win the election, but Charles the bulldog, is the captain of all the sports teams and her biggest competition.

Meanwhile, Otto with the help of his friend Melanie, decides that he wants to run for class president as well. While Tiffany and Charles are busy promoting themselves, Otto
Emily Stueven
Jan 26, 2013 Emily Stueven rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book gives a preschool-appropriate glimpse into the pseudo-popularity contest that is politics. But it has a happy ending.

The two most popular dogs at school are running for kindergarten president. They are stereotypes--vacuous cheerleader and meathead jock. The not-so-popular Otto throws his hat into the ring as well, and runs on a platform of real change--like promoting a homework help line (Gah! Is there homework that challenging in kindergarten these days?!)--rather than the lip servic
Karen
Apr 05, 2015 Karen rated it it was ok
I'm not usually a fan of Rosemary Wells, so I was not surprised that I did not like this book. This book, however, seems to be pretty out-of-touch with the average picture book reader. The main characters are in fifth grade, which is pretty old for the picture book crowd, and they act more like they are in middle school. Also, I don't think Kindergarten kids have had a nap, with or without a blanket, for at least twenty years.
I was completely surprised when the six 2nd and 3rd graders picked this as their favorite of our three election books with four votes. I find the pictures to be static and flat and the story to be a little cloying, although perhaps they liked it because this is clearly geared to a younger audience than Grace for President and Madam President. Then again it could be that this was the only one of the three in which a boy ended up being President and we had more boys than girls. Who knows? Wells' l ...more
Elizabeth
If only real elections were like this :-)
Elizabeth Hardin
Jan 23, 2014 Elizabeth Hardin rated it liked it
It was a typical story line, but the illustrations made it better. The author used a clever way of putting words in the illustrations.
Ashley Wampler
Oct 20, 2010 Ashley Wampler rated it it was amazing
School elections are coming up. There are two candidates running, one athlete and one "popular" girl. Otto sees that the two kids running but they are only looking out for themselves. Otto realizes that he would be a great school president who listened to the whole student body. Otto decides that he is going to run for president! The campaign continues. Who is going to win?
Melissaschott
Oct 15, 2010 Melissaschott rated it really liked it
Otto runs for school President and wins because he was the only candidate that listened to his friends at his school. This is a great book to show that to be a good friend you need to listen, not talk all the time. It also was a good discussion for November elections.
Linda Costello
Mar 11, 2010 Linda Costello rated it liked it
As the two popular kids duke it out for class president the under dog asks the students what they want. Because he is not selfish and listens to the needs of the students he wins. I do not like that it says the popular kids are the cutest and the sports captain.
Mandy
Oct 07, 2012 Mandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Tiffany and Charles are the natural choices for running for president at Barkadelphia School because they are pretty and popular. However Otto and others are concerned that they only care about themselves versus their classmates, so Otto runs against them.
Shunta
This book was completely in Spanish. I personally could not understand it but I beat ELL's would love it. I would use it to help teach students whats it like for others that speak and read different languages or even students that struggle in the area.
Kelly
Jan 12, 2012 Kelly rated it liked it
There are two popular people running for student body president. While they are at each other's throats, Otto joins the race. He goes undetected but wins over the votes by learning what the student's really want. Cute book!
ckodama152
May 18, 2012 ckodama152 rated it liked it
This is a good book to explain to young children the concept of running for an election and what things people do when they want to be elected - the good things as well as the bad things. Recommend for grades K-2.
Kim Miller
Mar 18, 2013 Kim Miller rated it it was amazing
Just bought this book today, and love it! I love that the underdog wins. I love the message about becoming a leader and listening to the voice of others. This is about courage and leadership and perserverence.
Brittany
This book is about different students running for president, however the whole book is in Spanish. So I would use this book for my hispanic students. I could have this book available in my classroom library.
Jasmin Thompson
Feb 25, 2012 Jasmin Thompson rated it liked it
Shelves: vote, president
The pictures in the book are colorful and funny. It teaches children about what it takes to fun for president. Otto needed 50 paw prints in order to run for president of his school.
melanie (lit*chick)
Sep 17, 2008 melanie (lit*chick) rated it it was ok
I was looking for a fun election themed book for my 1st grader and figured who better than Rosemary Wells. It was pretty lame, it isn't going to cut it. Anyone have another suggestion?
Jeanette Johnson
Jun 16, 2011 Jeanette Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a great story about learning what is important in holding an elected office at school. Popularity and bribes won't go far to getting things done.
Amy Carr
Apr 25, 2012 Amy Carr rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-book
Read this out loud to one of my kids last night and the author's whole point was completely lost on him and utterly unengaging to me. Skip it.
Michelle
Not a big Rosemary Wells fan...but I am sure this one will be popular with the upcoming election.
Rachel
I would use this with my Spanish speaking students.
Srinithi
Nov 03, 2012 Srinithi rated it really liked it
Otto wins the contest!
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
Very idealistic, ain't it?
Tamara Cox
Tamara Cox marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Kitty
Kitty marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Kristyn
Kristyn marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Ioan Marginean
Ioan Marginean marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Erin Farquhar
Erin Farquhar rated it it was ok
Aug 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Rosemary Wells is the author of a number of popular children's books, most notably the Max and Ruby series which follows the everyday adventures of sibling bunnies - curious three year old Max and bossy seven year old Ruby. She gets the inspiration for Max and Ruby from her two daughters and the experiences they
More about Rosemary Wells...