Start by marking “Hannibal (Hannibal Lecter, #3)” as Want to Read:
Hannibal (Hannibal Lecter, #3)

Hannibal (Hannibal Lecter #3)

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  55,334 Ratings  ·  1,840 Reviews
Years after his escape, posing as scholarly Dr. Fell, curator of a grand family's palazzo, Hannibal lives the good life in Florence, playing lovely tunes by serial killer/composer Henry VIII and killing hardly anyone himself. Clarice is unluckier: in the novel's action-film-like opening scene, she survives an FBI shootout gone wrong, and her nemesis, Paul Krendler, makes h ...more
Published May 18th 2000 by Dell (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Hannibal, please sign up.

She' M I think quite a bit of the end can be confusing - after Clarice comes to, I wasn't quite sure what was going on with her character, it becomes…moreI think quite a bit of the end can be confusing - after Clarice comes to, I wasn't quite sure what was going on with her character, it becomes increasingly clear that hypnosis and drugs were involved. But for me there was still a question of what was drug induced and what wasn't and does this entirely explain her behavior....
And WTF was up with that "making space for Mischa" bull???
Either way, the ending was kind of cheap. It would've made more sense if he ate her eventually(less)
Twilight by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie MeyerFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James
The Worst Books of All Time
97th out of 6,257 books — 17,252 voters
Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff LindsayInterview with the Vampire by Anne RiceFight Club by Chuck PalahniukFrankenstein by Mary ShelleyDracula by Bram Stoker
Rooting for the Bad Guy
12th out of 485 books — 1,327 voters

More lists with this book...

Peggy
Aug 22, 2007 Peggy rated it did not like it
Okay, let me confess up front: I loved Red Dragon and The Silence of the Lambs. Loved them. I enjoyed the movies, too: the movie version of Silence of the Lambs scared the pee out of me, and even so, I didn’t want it to end. So, long years later when I finally got hold of a copy of Hannibal, I really, really, wanted to love it, too.

But I didn’t.

Well, that’s not entirely true. If I pretend that this wasn’t a sequel about characters I already know, then I can find some bright spots. The book has s
Noiresque
Mar 11, 2016 Noiresque rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have a theory about this horrible book.

Both Red Dragon and The Silence of the Lambs are formidable pieces of pop fiction. They are well-written thrillers with great descriptions and characters. They were both adapted into great movies. They made Thomas Harris a very rich man.

I think Mr. Harris made a bet, maybe with a friend or just to himself. He knew that his next novel would be snapped up for big bucks for the screen rights. He knew he would not get any control over the script. So he dec
Sufferingbruin
Sep 03, 2011 Sufferingbruin rated it did not like it
Lord, what an awful book. Awash in mediocrity from first page to last. It has mediocre characters (the same which were so captivating in "Silence of the Lambs"), mediocre dialogue, mediocre scenery, virtually no suspense (but a plethora of pointlessly putrid acts), and a meandering narrative that often lacks consistency of time and place. "Hannibal" does not induce fear or revulsion so much as groans and guffaws. But don't worry: there's a bleeding HIV-postiive woman holding a baby whose last li ...more
Stargirl
Sep 03, 2011 Stargirl rated it it was amazing
Oh that ending. Sublime.

Gothic horror detective chase story, blends genres with great ease, affirming Harris as a master storyteller- as if we didn't already know. Don't go in expecting another Red Dragon or Silence of the Lambs. This is a much bigger, far darker experience. It's all in the title people. Silence was the story of Clarice Starling, so there is a lot of hope and innocence to it. This one, is about the dark side of her character- and of that awful/awesome Doctor Mr Lecter himself.
Chris Shepherdson
Jan 24, 2013 Chris Shepherdson rated it it was amazing
When Thomas Harris created the infamous Hannibal Lector in Red Dragon he couldn't have known the influence that character would have on crime fiction for the next decade. By the time he came to write Hannibal, ten years after his previous book, The Silence of The Lambs, he must have felt some serious pressure. The fact that Hannibal is the book it is, when written under these circumstances, makes it all the more remarkable.
To call it a crime novel is doing it a grave injustice and reading it as
James
Feb 05, 2008 James rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: I wouldn't
The book starts off wonderfully with Harris's visualization; you can see everything you read. There are complex characters introduced and of course a wicked weave between them. He shows the master insanity of Hannibal with his elaborate set-ups for escape from not only Starling but from a vile creature named Verger who sets out to seek revenge on the good doctor. And you are eating this up the whole time, because it seems that Harris is once again quite the masterful story teller. But then you g ...more
Erin (Paperbackstash) *Proud Book Hoarder*
**Note - After my re-read on 3/24/15, have bumped from four to five stars and edited review a little. *

I read the four books in order of sequence, not publication, ending with Hannibal. I'm not sure if it was following them in order or my mood, but I was more enamored this time around. It's turned out to be my favorite in the series. I know this isn't the popular opinion, but I think Harris did a brilliant job wrapping up the series.

The plot is as diabolical as Silence of the Lambs was, this tim
Darth J
Jul 02, 2013 Darth J rated it it was amazing
Shelves: awesome, series
Movie, Y U NO B LIEK BOOK?!
Rosie
Jul 12, 2008 Rosie rated it really liked it
I was obviously relishing my next installment in the world of Clarice Starling and Dr Hannibal Lecter. The book opens explosively with dramatic happenings, despite Starling's FBI career being a slight anti-climax due to influences from former enemies. Again, I'd seen the film before I read the book and so most of the major plot occurences I was already aware of, but there are more differences between the two Hannibal medias than in the films of Harris' previous two novels. The film had the advan ...more
Andrew Breslin
Oct 18, 2011 Andrew Breslin rated it liked it
I've been openly endorsing a lot of cannibalism lately, what with my "Eat the Rich" sign down at the ongoing occupy Philadelphia event up the street. As far as a strategy for revolutionary change and general economic improvement, I'm not sure it will work, but it couldn't possibly be any less effective than supply-side economics, and would be much more fun.

Hannibal Lecter is, arguably, literature's most beloved cannibal. I say "arguably" only because I want to start an argument so I'll have mor
Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah*
***Edit: Second time reading it:

"You are a warrior, Clarice. The most stable elements appear in the middle of the periodic table, roughly between iron and silver. Between iron and silver. I think that is appropriate for you. Did you ever think, Clarice, why the Philistines don't understand you? It's because you are the answer to Samson's riddle: You are the honey in the lion."

In this tale of murder and mayhem from the esteemed Thomas Harris, we follow Hannibal Lecter across the globe as he is ru
Rade
Jan 27, 2015 Rade rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
"is it as good as Red Dragon and The Silence of the Lambs? No...this one is better." - Stephen King

Oh put a cork in it, King. I love you but you are not being truthful at all. This book was IMO a giant turd of words. Feel free to disagree.

For one, Lecter needs to remain a secondary character, the kind that will offer advice and feed on personal information of the people interviewing him. In this book he is featured a lot more than in other books. He is free but at the same time he is hunted and
Steve
May 20, 2011 Steve rated it it was ok
*CONTAINS SPOILERS & SWEETBREADS*
After discovering Harris upon seeing the phenomenal movie 'Manhunter' in the '80s I sought out Red Dragon which was a fantastic and gripping cat & mouse rollercoaster ride. It's follow up was of course Silence Of The Lambs, equally engrossing and with a massively popular movie adaptation to boot. It was therefore such a massive disappointment to read Hannibal, a book I'd waited impatiently for for the best part of a decade.
In all honesty I don't think I'
Chris
Jun 15, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not sure what to say about this book. I really liked it and it is easily a solid 4.5 stars. I will try to break down what I liked and what I was not to fond of that caused this to be less than a 5 star read. I am still just speechless over the whole thing but in a good way. Shocked into silence because of the amazing writing of Thomas Harris is how I feel after finishing this book.

This being the third book in the Hannibal Lecter series, I have been enjoying each step. The problem with read
Kristin
The part where (view spoiler) gave me nightmares.

Still does....why the effff did I bring that up again.
Sage
Jan 19, 2014 Sage rated it really liked it
Fans of the first two Hannibal novels (including me) might need to adjust their expectations before reading this third installation: it has absolutely no suspense. It seemed as if Thomas Harris' writing style changed completely. There were scenes that could have been better if written differently. I'm a sucker for anything emotionally demanding, and this was the complete opposite of that. But did the stoic writing make this a bad book? Certainly, not.

Much like Hannibal Lecter, this book is not e
Nov 30, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing
I am absolutely heartbroken that I've finished this series! I have overly optimistic hopes that Thomas Harris will surprise everyone with another addition, but I doubt that I'll be that lucky.
I've read a lot of reviews which have said that Hannibal is far worse than any of the other books, and that the ending (different from the film's) is too unrealistic to believe. I have to disagree with them all!
I loved this book, and even though it's been 2 days since I finished it, I've read and re-read th
Stephen
1.5 stars. A big disappointment after really enjoying Red Dragon and The Silence of the Lambs. Lecter becomes more cartoonish in this installment and it just seems like Harris has lost his grip on the character. Stick with the first two books and avoid this one and the next one.
Jul 31, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
I was so excited to read this since I LOVED Silence of the Lambs. I was a bit disappointed. I listened to this book on audio and Daniel Gerroll did a superb job but I just didn't connect with this story. I felt that it was all over the place. Not a terrible book but definitely doesn't compare to its predecessor.
Kim
Jun 05, 2013 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: general-fiction
This is not a crime novel. It's certainly set up like one, yes, but it's much more than that. Hannibal is not only a book that revolves around a killer and his unusual relationship with an FBI Agent - it's a close examination of good versus evil, innocence versus corruption, and most of all, the evils of institutionalized misogyny and how the people we think we are supposed to trust betray us in the most harmful and damaging ways. It's both a horror story and a psychological thriller wrapped up ...more
Diane
Jul 26, 2010 Diane rated it it was ok
This book is quite possibly what would be considered a disaster. There was never a single moment where I was enthralled enough to keep turning the pages. Of course, that's unfortunate, because it's set in a world where a monster like Hannibal Lecter runs free. The very earth should be shivering beneath his footfalls and it doesn't. Each page should be something of a continued suspension and I had no problems putting the book down to turn to something more important.

I've always enjoyed the simpli
Janie Johnson
Jun 15, 2013 Janie Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-challenge
I have to say I really did enjoy this book even though so many have voiced their dislike of this one the most. I must place it between Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs. Maybe because Lecter was more in the limelight in this installment of the series. We got to see the build up to Lecter's presence in this story. I enjoyed that. The story drew me in right from the start as the others before it did.

Harris has such a very poetic writing style that I can't help but enjoy it. The words seem to fl
Daniel
Jun 02, 2009 Daniel rated it did not like it
What the....?

If when I was 400 pages into this read you asked me who I'd rate it, I would have replied that while it is a pretty sellar read it is definetely the weakest of Harris' Hannibal novels. Now that I've finished it I would dare mention that not only is it the weakest book Harris has written, but if there is a worse ending to a written work I haven't read it.

Unlike Red Dragon or Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal is written like a supernatural thriller. Red Dragon and Buffalo Bill were both
Oliviu Craznic
Apr 28, 2016 Oliviu Craznic rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-worthy
If anyone wonders why I consider this book not worthy of reading, Charles de Lint`s review says all about it, in better words than I could find:

Dee
Mar 30, 2008 Dee rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I simply cannot comprehend what Harris was thinking. He completely screwed up with this book. His most heinous crime was changing the characters so much, they hardly resemble their interesting selves in the previous books. Avoid this one like bubonic plague.
David Keaton
Twelve long years after Silence of the Lambs. It’s the year 2000. You’d think there'd be flying cars by the time Thomas Harris finally gave us Hannibal, making him only slightly faster than the guy who wrote his first novel, A River Runs Through It, in his 70s, then the follow-up when he turned 302. Does it satisfy after such a long-ass stretch? I think so, or at least I thought so at the time. Although most critics would disagree. And the inevitable movie adaptation’s lack of popularity seemed ...more
Lex
Jul 17, 2014 Lex rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror-thriller
Let me start out by saying that I loved "The Silence of the Lambs" more than I ever expected to. The characters were engaging and multifaceted, the story was riveting, and the suspense built at a perfect pace. Starling was a rookie and in some ways naive, but she was a powerful female lead, an excellent foil to the charming but nefarious Dr. Lecter.

Now take out everything likable about "Silence of the Lambs" and you have "Hannibal." I don't think words can do justice to just how distasteful I fo
Scarlet Cameo
Oct 06, 2015 Scarlet Cameo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este libro nos presenta por primera vez a un Hannibal humano, no como un ente físico superior a cualquiera que se le presente. Lecter debe usar parte de sus recursos para poder liberarse de una situación de vida o muerte, pero esto no es lo que lo humaniza, sino su relación con Clarice, su interaccion y obsesión con ella. Finalmente entendemos el porque de esta fascinación de Lecter con la policia y vemos a Starling levantarse al nivel Hannibal.

La historia la llevan los personajes, sabemos que t
Daccari Buchelli
Mar 28, 2016 Daccari Buchelli rated it it was amazing
Hannibal. Wow, where to begin? This is probably my favourite book of the Hannibal series. Here we truly get to explore Hannibal's interactions with another person. Clarise Starling intrigues the superbly written character of Hannibal Lecter. When reading scenes where they interact, it seems all too clear that if Hannibal could ever feel anything close to love, then he would feel it for this woman. This book had me glued to the page. Thomas Harris creates tension effortlessly, lightening the mood ...more
Meredith Dougherty
May 04, 2014 Meredith Dougherty rated it it was ok
Let's all just pretend that Hannibal got away at the end of The Silence of the Lambs and was never heard from again.
Comments on the series Ending! Am I the only one who thinks its good? 1 6 Mar 31, 2016 10:46PM
The movie version ending, or movie vs. book 78 1267 Nov 04, 2015 08:39AM
So...Barney (End Scenes) 1 25 May 10, 2015 02:36PM
NO SPOILERS PLEASE 5 43 May 10, 2015 02:31PM
I still can't over this book. 4 63 May 10, 2015 02:20PM
Why did Hannibal Lector think psychology was not a science? 6 66 Mar 27, 2015 08:45AM
The whole eating someone's brain while they are still alive was a bit too much. 17 299 Mar 27, 2015 08:43AM
  • The Intruder
  • Good Enough to Dream
  • Primal Fear
  • Wetbones
  • The Hills Have Eyes: The Beginning
  • Dearly Devoted Dexter (Dexter, #2)
  • Survivor
  • Waiting
  • Don't Say a Word
  • The Serial Killer Files: The Who, What, Where, How, and Why of the World's Most Terrifying Murderers
  • Common Carnage
Thomas Harris began his writing career covering crime in the United States and Mexico, and was a reporter and editor for the Associated Press in New York City. His first novel, Black Sunday, was printed in 1975, followed by Red Dragon in 1981, The Silence of the Lambs in 1988, Hannibal in 1999, and Hannibal Rising in 2006.
More about Thomas Harris...

Hannibal Lecter (4 books)
  • Red Dragon (Hannibal Lecter, #1)
  • The Silence of the Lambs  (Hannibal Lecter, #2)
  • Hannibal Rising (Hannibal Lecter, #4)

3 trivia questions
2 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“The tragedy is not to die, but to be wasted.” 167 likes
“I think it's easy to mistake understanding for empathy - we want empathy so badly. Maybe learning to make that distinction is part of growing up. It's hard and ugly to know somebody can understand you without even liking you.” 120 likes