Start by marking “Black Sunday” as Want to Read:
Black Sunday

Black Sunday

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  5,541 ratings  ·  130 reviews
From the genius of Thomas Harris, the #1 New York Times bestselling author who introduced the world to Hannibal Lecter, comes his terrifying and prophetic debut of an American who plans an act of terrorism at the Super Bowl?as the whole world watches. But in a mob of 80,000 people, how can they find him to stop him? The clock is ticking?

Published November 1st 2005 by NAL (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Black Sunday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Sunday

Arun Divakar
When your plot line involves a major terrorist attack, there are some plot elements which are unavoidable : the pace that builds up until the D-day, terrorists and law enforcement trying to outwit each other every step of the way, a couple of romantic flings on either side of the law and then the whole world goes to hell ! Black Sunday is no different and within the premise of the story, Thomas Harris brings the Israel-Palestine conflict to the heart of America.

When you set out to read this boo
Benjamin Stahl
This was one of those books I had no initial interest in reading. One of those books I went ahead and paid for anyway. One of those books that sat unnoticed on my shelf for countless months, until I finally decided to just get rid of it.

description

One of those books I just hadn't the heart to dispose of.
Not without reading it first.
I decided I would force myself.
Fuck it. Here it goes.

descriptiondescription

That sweet old man in the upper-left picture created one of the most creepy, original, and somehow lovable psychopaths of
Ali
i have been reading Thomas Harris books since I was 12 years old. I was the only 6th grader who could announce she had already read silence of the lambs twice before the movie came out. Since then I have revisited the novel Red Dragon so many times that I could read the lines from memory along with the actors of the movie. So i was excited to read Black Sunday as one of his ealier works, but was extremely disappointed. So much so that I can't even finish the book. The charcters are unbelieveable ...more
Thomas Strömquist
The first offering (from 1975) of Hannibal-creator Thomas Harris is a suspenseful and relentless thriller about a terrorist attack. In its genre it is really good.
Mohammed Al-Garawi
Yes it's a thriller, but it was disturbing. I didn't like how the novel exploited the stereotype and made the terrorist, who were planning to bomb a stadium full of people watching the Super Bowl, to be Arabs. The only twist was that they were aided by a Vietnam vet who "sold his country". There's some psychology in there, but overall, I didn't like how the Israeli agent was portrayed as the hero and the Palestinians were the terrorist who were getting their revenge by bombing 70,000 people. Tha ...more
Feliks
Frankly I can't give a **** about the far-fetched and unlikely 'Hannibal Lecter saga'. I think that though it is the more popular, it is clearly the less thoughtful or compelling work from Harris' career; it smacks of "pandering" (as do the works of Brett Easton Ellis) to the usual morbid American fascination with blood-and-gore. That's what the high sales of this franchise say to me.

Instead, I say the peak moment of Harris' writing career came with this novel, 'Black Sunday'. Why? Because it
Ryan
I must say I’m pleasantly surprised with this book. I bought it long ago, the summer I worked at Cedar Point in college, before I really knew where to start with “real” reading having recently declared as an English major. I remember reading On The Road back and forth across the causeway to work on the bus (what a great time to read that… I was about ready to do exactly as the characters did, as I’m sure many who’ve read the book have felt), as well as at Soak City on afternoons off. I also boug ...more
John
Although written in the early 70's, BLACK SUNDAY reads just like a season of the TV show "24," only with an Israeli version of Jack Bauer as the only thing standing between us and the terrorists. This is Harris' debut novel, and, as such, the writing stumbles here and there, but the story is exciting, deftly plotted, and surprisingly realistic. The most amazing thing about this book, though, is that, other than the occasional use of a telex, nothing in the novel stands out as being particularly ...more
Tanner Venrick
Nathan
I suppose this review will contain some pretty significant plot spoilers, but nothing a moderately astute reader won't see coming after reading the first quarter of the book.

I could go on for a while about the pros and cons of Black Sunday, but basically it would boil down to the book being dated and Thomas Harris being a damn good writer.

I did have one major problem with the plot that ruined the whole thing for me. -

Early on, you learn that the terrorists' goal is to arm a blimp with a bomb an
Alesha Leveritt
I see a lot of the reviewers finding this novel boring and cliche. I find that quite funny. Had Harris written this novel in 2005, those statements would perhaps have some merit. Give that the novel was written in the 1970s, it's more prophetic than cliche. It's also interesting that people see hate-filled stereotypes when the bad guys come from many corners and at least two of them elicit some pretty powerful sympathy during parts of the work. More evidence of sheeple allowing others to do thei ...more
John Cheney
Thomas Harris is best-known for his Hannibal Lecter books, but Black Sunday was his first published novel. Harris wrote the novel in the 1970s, following the terrorist attack at the Munich Olympics. While many of the details seem dated (the key terrorist is a traumatized Vietnam veteran, the technology used in the attack is too primitive by today's standards), the theme of terrorism and a high- profile target such as the Super Bowl is even more relevant today.

The story follows Israeli Mossad age
Skivvy Jones
This is an excellent, fairly quick read, which paradoxically takes time because I feel that one must be free of Francis Dolarhyde and his literary cousin Hannibal Lector. Thomas Harris is a very(!) good writer. He plays with tenses, tension and the passage of time very skillfully. Lector and Dolarhyde may endure but Michael Lander is (too) real.

There is a line about subtlety and Arabic culture that was so remarkable, it must be read and savored (you'll know it when you read it). Harris is impre
Pablo Iriarte
Un atrapante y buen thriller.
Lo leí en español.
Steven Shinder
Бранимир Събев
Фен съм на Томас Харис и въпреки че филмите по книгите му са страхотни (Мълчанието на Агнетата, Червения Дракон, Ханибал), книгите си остават дори още по-добри. Случайно на последния панаир на книгата открих на щанда на "Колибри" първия роман на автора - Черна Неделя. Заинтригуван си го купих, макар да няма нищо общо с Ханибал Лектър.

"Когато в неделя в Ню Орлиънс започне мачът за Суперкупата, 80 000 души най-добре да се приготвят да умрат. Защото Майкъл Ландър не само обича експлозивите, но е и
Ian Mapp
wally
read this one years ago...just now came to me in a flash, whilst i was thinking about o-d-ing on iodine, what w/the idea that we're all going to burst into flame what w/global warming, the fate of the gekko, and snow depths in the u.p.

terrorist plot...my copy had a pic of the blimp on the cover.

great story, very engaging, yay, all those years ago.

can i hear a hallelujah?

too, this is a chance for me to rant about those shitheels at the westboro baptist "church" and the surpreme court's 8-1 decisi
Nazim
Before the Hannibal Lecter’s books Thomas Harris wrote “the Black Sunday” in the 70’s. The book describes the terroristic group which is willing to strike the USA. They are planning to kill the president of the USA and 80.000 men along with him in the stadium by the blimp filled with the high explosive, plastid.

The terrorists, Dahlia and Najer recruit the American, Landen who suffered a lot in Vietnam War. He shows his willing to blast the blimp. Dahlia is expert in making people expendable, sh
Noel Thingvall
Starts off a little slow, but once it pulls out of exploring the life history of the main terrorist (in a style very similar to how Dolarhyde was explored in Red Dragon, although Lander is nowhere near as captivating or tragic as Francis, and it's all dumped on us near the beginning) it becomes a crackling good thriller which does a fantastic job balancing the threads of terrorist and investigator, constantly hitting us with teases and expectations of when the two will finally start to intersect ...more
Hestia Istiviani
this book is beyond my expectation.

I thought, the story will be like invite the readers to seek who the people behind the bombing at the super bowl. but...the story guide the readers to know how the terrorists make the plan, the problems behind themselves, the scandal, and their social life.

I couldn't give you any more comment about this book. it's both criminal & psychological story which is exciting!
Rita Monticelli
Opera prima di un grande

Ho iniziato a leggere questo libro nell'estate del 2001, ma poi dopo l'11 settembre non ce l'ho fatta ad andare avanti e l'ho messo da parte.
Harris è così bravo a farti entrare nella mente dei personaggi, in questo caso dei terroristi, che davvero è difficile non farsi coinvolgere.
L'ho ripreso anni dopo e l'ho finito in un baleno.
Sebbene scritto un bel po' di anni fa (1975) già in questo libro ci sono tutti gli elementi che caratterizzano le opere di questo autore
Trisha
Inhoud:
Als in New Orleans op Super Bowl Sunday de wedstrijd begint zullen 80.000 mensen sterven. Het stadion van de Super Bowl - in de VS hét sportevenement van het jaar - is opeens de gevaarlijkste plek ter wereld.

Michael Lander is de gevaarlijkste man van Amerika. Hij bestuurt elk weekend een tv-zeppelin die boven volgepakte stadions hangt. En hij is gestoord. Daarom is hij verleid door een mooie Palestijnse. Daar zal - op Super Bowl Sunday - de wereld getuige zijn van de moord op de Amerikaan
Ed
Stand-alone thriller from the author of the Hannibal Lector series.

Thriller - Recorded - Michael Lander is a blimp pilot and an ex-POW. With the aid of Arab terrorists, he has hatched a plan to explode a huge bomb at the Super Bowl. Israeli agents know there has been a movement of explosives but they don't know the details of the plot.
Jamie
This was pretty good. It was published in 1975 and doesn't seem overly dated apart from the lack of mobile phones and internet.

Books like this scare me more than 'horror' novels - the scary thing is, the factions that feature in this book are still here and this scenario is chillingly plausible..
Aaron Martz
This tense, violent terrorist thriller is thoroughly researched and completely believable. All of the characters are fully-fleshed, their motives understandable. The terrorist, Lander, is quite a creation - a helicopter pilot during the Vietnam War who feels he was wronged by the way the U.S. government treated him on his return. His plan to blow up the Super Bowl using the blimp he pilots is ingenious, and the minute details of how he and his cohorts carry out this plan are captivating, as are ...more
Wordsmith
Non-Stop Thriller from Thomas Harris, author of Silence of The Lambs, creator of the infamous cannibal Dr. Hannibal Lector. This was his first piece of fiction, and for the time period, was actually quite prophetic. Terrorists, from home and abroad have hatched an ingenious plot to get the most bang for their buck, so to speak, and they are utterly ruthless in doing whatever it takes to achieve that goal. The Israeli Mossad Agent right on their heels is not getting a whole lot of love from the W ...more
Rena Sherwood
I read this when I was homeless. It showed me that there were worse things in life than being homeless. Goes from chilling to nauseating. Most memorable moment: terrorist woman's nipples harden when she records a message to be used in conjunction with attack. You'll never look at the Goodyear Blimp in the same way.
Chris Youngblood
This book, while not excellent, shows the budding ability that Thomas Harris perfects in his later books. Occasional glimpses of the delightfully understated prose that appears in Hannibal and Silence of the Lambs peek out of the text which, due to the subject matter and the timing of the book, seems somewhat dated when compared to the timeless quality of Silence or Red Dragon.

While I might not have gone on to read any of Harris' other works if I'd started with Black Sunday I'm happy to say that
Kurt Zisa
Great thriller novel with chilling characters. The dark tone of this novel sets it apart from others with a very surprising ending. Not you're average genre read.
  • The Taking of Pelham One Two Three
  • Malice Aforethought
  • Dirty Tricks
  • The Beast Must Die (Nigel Strangeways, #4)
  • The Great Impersonation
  • The Madman of Bergerac
  • The Four Just Men  (The Four Just Men #1)
  • Poetic Justice (A Kate Fansler Mystery #3)
  • The Poisoned Chocolates Case
  • Live Flesh
  • The Asphalt Jungle
  • Death at the President's Lodging (Sir John Appleby, #1)
  • Fail-Safe
  • Epitaph for a Spy
  • The Color of Night
  • Ichi the killer, vol. 1
  • Hard Revolution
  • King Solomon's Carpet
Thomas Harris began his writing career covering crime in the United States and Mexico, and was a reporter and editor for the Associated Press in New York City. His first novel, Black Sunday, was printed in 1975, followed by Red Dragon in 1981, The Silence of the Lambs in 1988, Hannibal in 1999, and Hannibal Rising in 2006.
More about Thomas Harris...
The Silence of the Lambs  (Hannibal Lecter, #2) Red Dragon (Hannibal Lecter, #1) Hannibal (Hannibal Lecter, #3) Hannibal Rising (Hannibal Lecter, #4) Red Dragon And Silence Of The Lambs