Start by marking “The Milkshake Moment: Overcoming Stupid Systems, Pointless Policies, and Muddled Management to Realize Real Growth” as Want to Read:

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  60 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Growth is the central focus of every business, yet many businesses continually find ways to shoot themselves in the foot. In "Milkshake Moment," Steven Little shows you how to identify and overcome the stifling behaviors built into your organization and get you back on track to substantive change and real growth. Read "Milkshake Moment" and find out how to ditch the pointl ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by John Wiley & Sons

To ask other readers questions about The Milkshake Moment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Milkshake Moment

Jane
Mar 12, 2011 Jane rated it liked it
Recommended to Jane by: jane_hamilton@comcast.net
Decent, common-sense customer service book. Some of the most memorable quotes:

"A growth leader should be able to articulate a clear and concise statement of the organizations true aspirations. It must be understood by all those who share an interest, from employees, to customers and from vendors to shareholders." (P. 70)

"Insourcing crucial judgement does not mean entertaining everyone's pet peeve." (P. 114)

"For a policy system to truly work, it must be consistently reviewed and reinforced, be re
Hillary
Aug 02, 2014 Hillary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Short for a book, but that makes it a quick read. Good examples that are right on point and told with a minimum of fuss.
Brian
Jan 01, 2014 Brian rated it really liked it
The premise of this book is very simple, but important. You are an organization with a customer who wants a milkshake. You have milk, ice cream, and a blender. Simple solution right? However, you also have policies, procedures, and systems preventing these items from coming together to satisfy the needs of the customer. Very interesting quick read. Very helpful in thinking about how to reexamine some of the roadblocks built into our daily work that prevent us from delivering what is required to ...more
Emily
Jun 19, 2016 Emily rated it it was ok
The first 2 chapters lay out an intriguing question: how can we overcome problems in our organizations that we don't even see because we have become accustomed to them and don't realize that they are problems? But the book does not really do much to answer that question. There are plenty of illustrations from business and history, but the application is hard to put your finger on.

I was also put off by the subtitle - unnecessarily negative - and the tone of much of the book, which was unhelpfull
Nick Woodall
Good concepts. Could have gone deeper. I wanted more of this book, but there was not enough to go around.
Anne
Apr 29, 2013 Anne rated it liked it
My entrepeneur brother encouraged me to read this book. Steven Little takes some very basic customer service tools and turns them around by using helpful vignettes to encourage better business dealings for his readers. I was certainly inspired to adjust my own expectations of customer service, and learned that there is a great deal you can do to achieve success by understanding the mind set of the person with whom you are dealing. Works with small children as well.
Sean Goh
Jul 08, 2013 Sean Goh rated it liked it
An ok book, which shows how smart people are often hamstrung by stupid systems.

For effectiveness, there must be a clear purpose communicated, and people must have the autonomy to decide how they go about achieving that purpose.

We need outsiders who don't know the rules enough to know they are breaking them.

The customer isn't always right, but they're always human.

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation.
Wes
Mar 15, 2009 Wes rated it really liked it
The message presents an easy read and a solid basis to challenge the status quo. Pg 2 of the book asks a simple question that sets the stage for the entire message. (Won't share what it is. Read it for yourself.) Leaders are paid to get results through creativity, not following all the rules. Managers follow the rules. Great advice, well written, easy read.
Michael Costigan
May 29, 2013 Michael Costigan rated it it was amazing
Little's book is a quick, fun read. Although Little disclaims this being a book about managing services, as an IT Service Manager, I found his book chock full of timeless lessons for anyone who manages services.
Ram
Mar 07, 2010 Ram rated it it was amazing
Shelves: management
Really good book about Management policies. A must have for all those organisations that wants to create a good work environment. And a good page-turner with interesting facts
Carmen
Apr 25, 2008 Carmen rated it it was amazing
This was an easy read, and gave me things to think of with my position at work. A couple of things I was going to do, no longer seem appropriate. Love it.
Peyton
May 13, 2016 Peyton rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
Little's philosophy is concise, clear, and common sense. I can't wait to make milkshakes for my customers.
Franz Figueroa
Franz Figueroa marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Kimberly Rosario
Kimberly Rosario marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Nicholas Coblence
Nicholas Coblence rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2015
Michelle Brice
Michelle Brice rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2015
Dyreka Thompson Stonom
Dyreka Thompson Stonom rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2015
Kelli Tarala
Kelli Tarala marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Sherri Dishon
Sherri Dishon marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Reemo
Reemo marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Lindsay Ward
Lindsay Ward marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Julie Schuck
Julie Schuck marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Dan
Dan rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2015
Mara S
Mara S added it
Apr 17, 2015
Mister Rabdargad
Mister Rabdargad marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Matt Koontz
Matt Koontz rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2015
Butters57
Butters57 rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2015
Kevin Schriver
Kevin Schriver rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2014