Start by marking “The Great Taos Bank Robbery and Other Indian Country Affairs” as Want to Read:
The Great Taos Bank Robbery and Other Indian Country Affairs

The Great Taos Bank Robbery and Other Indian Country Affairs

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  425 ratings  ·  30 reviews
For the very first time in mass market paperback, here is a unique compilation about life in New Mexico by one of the nation's finest writers.Tony Hillerman, who knows the Southwest like no other contemporary writer; presents nine extraordinary, true tales that capture the history and rhythms of daily life in New Mexico. From the comical title story of the holdup that didn...more
Mass Market Paperback, 178 pages
Published May 1st 1997 by HarperTorch (first published 1973)

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Taos Bank Robbery and Other Indian Country Affairs

dead letter office
i think i've mentioned before here that i'll read anything about new mexico. my favorite story from this book was called The Indian Who Had So Many Friends He Couldn't Get No Damn Wire Strung or something to that effect. i have to admit i like tony hillerman. i only read this collection and one of his jim chee mysteries, but i'd read more gladly.
Patrick Gibson
Dec 20, 2009 Patrick Gibson rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who like a good yarn
At first the antiquated style of the prose put me off. I had to settle into a more Victorian mode before I began to get the humor and flow. Sure a bearded cross-dressing bank robber is funny, but Hillermans style is so different from his novels you have to make an adjustment to get the full impact. And funny it is. There are a half-dozen stories, the Bank Robbery being the longest, which derive from New Mexico folk lore and proves nothing if not how weird everyone is here. I have long been a fan...more
Sherrill Watson
I picked up this little book at the library on the strength of the Hillerman name, and was not disappointed. Nine little vignettes of things he'd heard, stories, tales, etc., presented factually but with a tongue-in-cheek sense of humor that I really liked. New Mexico at it's best!
Arlene
I discovered Tony Hillerman years ago when we went on a road trip to Mesa Verde and on to Albuquerque with good friends. My friend Meta said I really should read him. I have since read over a dozen of his novels and enjoyed every one. This collection of essays was written about Tony Hillerman's New Mexico. The stories are all true and interesting. I especially loved the retelling of the title story about a failed bank robbery and the "Keystone Cops" routine of the locals trying to capture the su...more
Sally Atwell Williams
I loved this re-issue of Tony Hillerman's True Stories. Anne Hillerman, his daughter, writes the forward to it. The stories he tells are wonderful, and all the more because they are true. I love Tony Hillerman's novels. I need to get his last one, and his daughter's first one.
Sally
My favorite story was about Trampas and the church that was sustained by the high mountain valley residents. My grandpa used to take us on road trips up there, I've played in that tiny cold clear river. It is a beautiful valley. I made a quilt of some New Mexico missions, and the Trampas church was one of the blocks. The story just touched me in a very personal way.
Susan
Tony's great love for New Mexico flows off the pages of this short story collection. Only someone who loved Albuquerque could be inspired to write a short story about catching a glimpse of Mt. Taylor from a freeway overpass.There is no doubt the stories were written by a master journalist: his sentences are a pleasure to read and well-structured to efficiently convey information. Fans of NM and the Southwest will be entertained and educated by tales of long-ago and contemporary events that illus...more
Jeffree Itrich
This book is not for everyone but I loved it. This little book is a collection of essays about the quirky side of New Mexico. Written by Tony Hillerman in a journalistic style, it is a departure from his better-known mystery novels on the Navajo Nation. That said it is equally enchanting because it illustrates a side of New Mexico that visitors don't see. Several, if not most, of the essays cover some aspect of an historical event. History buffs and fans of New Mexico literature will probably fi...more
Patrick\
Before coming up with his improbable-ending thrillers (narrative well written, I add), this is his launch book - reportage essays, humor and insight into life in New Mexico. The Bank Robbery is so typically Taos, almost had me on the floor. He is one of the few authors to catch the near impossibility of living in Taos. It is another world of existence. You can't make this up and sell it. He didn't have to - reminds me of the time ....
Rae
Before Tony Hillerman began publishing his mysteries, he wrote this collection of essays about odd events and characters in New Mexico history. Good stuff.

"In the Emergence Myth, the name the Holy People put on evil was 'The Way to Make Money.' And the Hero Twins decided to spare the lives of the final monsters so The People would learn from living with them. Those monsters were named Fatigue, Old Age, Hunger and Poverty."
Mark Wilson
Evocative, charming, and as infuriating as New Mexico itself. A delightful selection of essays. You'll love the language, and you will definitely learn something about that ancient and complicated land.
Dayna Smith
A classic collection of nonfiction essays about life in New Mexico. It is a must read for anyone interested in the history and humor of life in the American Southwest. The story of The Great Taos Bank Robbery alone is worth the price of the book.
Jan C
Tried this a couple of years ago. I just couldn't get into it. There was an occasional story I liked but most of them just left me kind of cold.

I preferred his mysteries with Jim Chee and Joe Leaphorn.
Elsa
This is a wonderful collection of regional creative non-fiction. I highly recommend it for anyone who likes that genre and for New Mexicans and other lovers of New Mexico.
Dave
Most of the stories were fun reads, and some were truly very entertaining. This may get me to read a full novel by Tony Hillerman, an author I have never read before.
Lydie Blaizot
Un recueil intéressant à découvrir malgré la longueur de certains textes.

Toria
I loved this book. The short stories are wonderful and I would love to see the first one "The Great Taos Bank Robbery" made into a movie.
Ron
I thought that I had read all of Tony Hillerman's books...
Then I found this jewell.
Humorous & informative.
Beth Morgan
This book contains some true New Mexico classics. My favorite is "The Navajo Who Couldn't Get No Wire Strung."
Quick, fun, older read about the craziness and magic of the Southwest.
Timothy Cole
Snippets of New Mexico history. Quiet, quirky, and often sad.
Alison Fletcher
great book filled with great stories about a very unique state
Hw Santry
A fine mix of true New Mexico stories
I enjoy Mr. Hillerman's sense of humor.
Marilynn Shea
entertaining short stories
Velvetink
Jul 12, 2013 Velvetink marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
tuebl epub
  • Cities of Gold: A Journey Across the American Southwest in Pursuit of Coronado
  • May There Be a Road: Stories
  • The Nirvana Blues
  • The Shaman's Bones (Charlie Moon, #3)
  • Book of the Hopi: The first revelation of the Hopi's historical and religious world-view of life
  • Wild Indigo (A Wild Mystery #1)
  • 500 Nations: An Illustrated History of North American Indians
  • Too Many Clients (Nero Wolfe, #34)
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Republic (America's Future, #1)
  • The Log of a Cowboy: A Narrative of the Old Trail Days
  • Sequoyah: The Cherokee Man Who Gave His People Writing
  • Journey Into Mohawk Country
  • Tracker
  • Lasso the Wind: Away to the New West
  • Dust Bowl: The Southern Plains in the 1930s
Tony Hillerman, who was born in Sacred Heart, Oklahoma, was a decorated combat veteran from World War II, serving as a mortarman in the 103rd Infantry Division and earning the Silver Star, the Bronze Star, and a Purple Heart. Later, he worked as a journalist from 1948 to 1962. Then he earned a Masters degree and taught journalism from 1966 to 1987 at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, wh...more
More about Tony Hillerman...
The Blessing Way (Navajo Mysteries, #1) Skinwalkers (Navajo Mysteries, #7) A Thief of Time (Navajo Mysteries, #8) Listening Woman (Navajo Mysteries, #3) Dance Hall of the Dead (Navajo Mysteries, #2)