Start by marking “Cherries and Cherry Pits” as Want to Read:
Cherries and Cherry Pits

Cherries and Cherry Pits

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  160 ratings  ·  38 reviews
No one can tell a story quite like Bidemmi. When she starts to draw, her imagination takes off. Enter her world, look at her pictures, and watch her stories grow and grow—just like the forest of cherry trees she imagines right on her own block.
Published April 29th 1991 by Greenwillow Books (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Cherries and Cherry Pits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cherries and Cherry Pits

Tracy Poff
This review also appears on my blog.

The book opens:
Bidemmi lives on the floor above me. We visit back and forth a lot. Bidemmi loves to draw, so when she opens the door I'm often standing there with a marker of some kind or color she doesn't have yet.

Cherries01

The narrator spends the rest of the book with Bidemmi, who tries out her new marker. As she draws, Bidemmi tells stories about what she's drawing. "THIS is the door to the subway..." she begins, and tells a story about a man who brings a bag of ch
Kristin
-Diversity of characters
-Brightly-colored, detailed design, marker and water color illustrations.
-Familiar environment/context/experiences- riding the city train, living in an apartment, telling stories and drawing pictures to go with them
-Appealing text and familiar language that sounds as if someone is telling you a story
-Opportunities for inquiry: Bidemmi recycles cherry pits, what else can be recycled in your home/classroom?, experimenting with saving and growing seeds from fruits that we e
Robert
Vera B. Williams writes stories with interesting lessons . . . and they're colorful too! This one is no different.

Bidemmi is a little girl who likes to draw. As she does, she describes what she is drawing . . . in story-form.

Each of her stories revolve around someone eating cherries and being reminded to spit out the pits. Bidemmi talks so quickly and moves from point to point that the narrator never gets to ask a question. At last she asks, "Is that story about you?" Bidemmi says it is not, but
Elizabeth
Every one of her books is better than the last. Once again both of my daughters loved this one, particularly the six year old, who like Bidemmi loves to draw and make up stories. Just a lovely, lovely book.

Edit: this book has now been requested three nights in a row. That is very high praise indeed.
Vanessa
I love this book. It features beautiful, true to 6 or 7 year old style drawings by the protagonist who imagines different people eating cherries. At the end she draws herself and reveals what she would do with the pits. I was actually inspired to plant m own cherry tree after reading this book as well as tasting real cherries in a friend's backyard in Buffalo. Unfortunately, the cherry tree I planted snapped this winter, but I'm going to plant another one. And on a website about symbols I found ...more
Connie
Let me say, before we start out, that this is a wordy book. It's definitely more suited for the older end of the 4-8 crowd.

This is a story of a young artist. She draws three pictures of three people, and tells the stories of how they eat cherries on three occasions.

Then she finally tells her own story, and her own plan, about how she intends to save the pits from her own cherries and plant them, until there is a "forest of cherry trees" she can share with the whole world.

Simple, strong story. Th
Alana Graham
The little girl in this story has an extremely detailed imagination. As she draws her pictures, many questions can be formed. Are her characters real, just from her imagination, or a little of both? Why does she keep talking about spitting out the pits? This book shows that any experience can be turned into our own creative interpretation. Even things that are seemingly useless, like cherry pits can be used to create something beautiful and enjoyable. I would recommend this story to a child who ...more
Annisa Spencer
Sep 24, 2014 Annisa Spencer added it
Shelves: pink
I think it is great.
Katie Williams
Cherries and Cherry Pits is a book about a girl with a creative imagination. She tells great stories to her friend that involves cherries and how they bring people together. She bases her stories off of her father who used to bring her and her siblings cherries that they would eat together to spend quality time with each other. It has a plenty of adjectives that a lesson could be based off of or the use of story elementes (beginning, middle, and end) could be taught using this book as well.
Cynthia
Nov 05, 2008 Cynthia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: primary grades
Vera B.Williams is one of my favorite author-illustrators. This book is about a girl named Bidemmi who makes up stories while she draws. I love to use this book with my students to model how writers paint pictures with their words .I read the text and withhold the pictures so that they can visualize on their own before I show Williams' illustrations. The children also like to see how Williams uses interesting borders that relate directly to the story.
Lyndee Stisher
Cherries and Cherry pits by Vera B. Williams is a great story full of imagination, dreams, and creativity. The young girl loves to write and illustrate stories about people eating cherries. This book is a great book to show children that any experience can be turned into a story. The story ends with the young girl telling a story about herself and the cherries. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn more about creativity.
Heather
37 months - This is a great story. I love how the little girl draws and tells stories just like O does. And I love how all the stories are interconnected through cherries... Great ending with a nice sense of community and family. Oh and O enjoys this story too. We've read it many times and so thankful that a friend suggested it and that day I spotted it in the thrift store. SCORE!
Starr Elementary
Robin
What a fun book! I loved reading the stories the little girl, Biddemi, tells and seeing the pictures she draws. Her stories about the cherries are so fun and envelope the entire neighborhood. This is also a great book to show the growth cycle of a tree from a cherry pit to sprout to seedling to tree to cherry. An awesome book on so many levels.
Betsy
I love the voice in this book as much as the illustrations. Williams switches nicely between "her" illustrations and "Bidemmi's" illustrations, making Bidemmi's drawings very childlike and believable. And Bidemmi's stories are delightfully stream of consciousness sounding--just like most children.
Xicana
This book is great for our imaginative young ones. There is an emphasis on dreaming, creativity and imagination that is highlighted in these pages. Taking place in an urban setting, a young mind guides us through her thoughts and shares happy memories through the senses.
Robyn Watt
Love this book, give the children and also ask the parents if it is ok too, to let them carry a drawing pad and markers,coloring pencils, crayons with them for two days and let them draw the things that they see. Let the children tell about each drawing and the story behind it.
Alycia Boyce
This story follows a young girls and her imaginary journey of people who all have these yummy cherries that they either share with their friends, families, or pets. She finally draws herself planting a huge cherry tree. Cute book! One of my favorites as a child
Kiana Sims
I would use this book in the classroom when discussing different family structures and places that children may see in their own neighborhoods. It's also good for imagination, and has the TH- blend occuring ofthen throughout the book.
Aurora Shimshak
When I got to choose my own bedtime story, this is the book I picked. Afterwards, my babysitter, Evelyn and I, would practice drawing, just like the character in this book. The colors in these illustrations still make me happy.
Bailey
Apr 21, 2010 Bailey added it
This is a cute book about a girl that draws how different people eat cherries and what they do with the pits. At the end it shows what she would do with the pits. This story has great illustrations in it.
Caroline Stevens

When I was a child I used to get this book out of the library every time we went. Dad must have read it to me and my sister hundreds of times! Obviously it captured are imaginations!
Rhea Tregebov
I believe that this is one of the best children's picture books ever written. Williams' extraordinary illustrations and the powerful message of hope of this book make it one of my favourites.
Diana
I'm not sure why, but my daughter and I weren't really in love with this one. I loved Bedimmi's creativity and her stories but I guess the story was just okay for us.
Ashlee Gibson
This was a great book about how a girl uses her imagination along her journey. This is a great book to read when trying to spark a child's imagination.
Ayana Mishelle
great book for imagination. The little girl Bidminni will take you on a journey and when you finish you will definitely want to have lunch soon after !!!
Jaylin Brooks
A girl starts with a dot on a paper and creates entire stories with her imagination. All the stories incorporate receiving and eating a really red cherry.
Satin
This was just an ok book. I would only place it in my library for the purpose of having books about art and books with multicultural characters.
Nanee Zogaa
Good book to introduce a science lesson on plants. It could also be used to discuss working together to create something or on starting a project
Shuntia Williams
This book shows how students can create stories from nothing. Cherries and Cherry Pits would be a great way to introduce students to writing stories.
  • Come On, Rain!
  • The Wednesday Surprise
  • Aunt Harriet's Underground Railroad in the Sky
  • Bringing the Rain to Kapiti Plain: A Nandi Tale
  • The Maggie B.
  • Princess Grace
  • Perfect the Pig
  • Pigs Aplenty, Pigs Galore!
  • Oh, Were They Ever Happy!
  • The Raft
  • Big Anthony: His Story
  • Knots on a Counting Rope
  • Flossie and the Fox
  • How My Parents Learned to Eat
Graduate of Black Mountain College, North Carolina, where she majored in graphic art. In her own words, she has "done graphic art, school teaching, children-raising [she has two daughters and a son], has run a bakery and been a cook in schools and restaurants." (from back flap of book)

You can read much more about this author here or here
More about Vera B. Williams...
A Chair for My Mother More More More Said the Baby Amber Was Brave, Essie Was Smart Three Days on a River in a Red Canoe Music, Music for Everyone