Start by marking “Multiplicity: The New Science of Personality” as Want to Read:
Multiplicity: The New Science of Personality

Multiplicity: The New Science of Personality

3.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  78 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
In 'Multiplicity', Rita Carter offers a new and vital understanding of personality. She explains that nearly every one of us is a team of personalities, working together, for the most part, to give the impression of a unified self.
Published 2008 by Little Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Multiplicity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Multiplicity

Courtney
Aug 29, 2009 Courtney rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book would be more informative, and go into more depth about this theory of multiplicity. The first part of the book (a little over 100 pages) was interesting enough to get you started on the theory, but I was disappointed that it ended there. The second part of the book had little exercises you could do to understand your own personalities. Overall, I was hoping for an informative read, rather than some sort of entertaining survey to pass a couple of hours.
VBergen
Dec 26, 2015 VBergen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health, relationship
This is the second book from Rita Carter that I read and I like a lot the way she brings some science to the common understanding but without treating the readers as dummies. This book has a fair amount of explanations and examples. It feels like the part with the exercises could be longer though ;) Some remarkable paragraphs from the book:

- Human behavior is much more under the control of situational forces than most of us recognize or want to acknowledge (...) It is not so much the kind of per
Dierregi
I am not quite sure this was a good idea. The first chapters are about multiple personality disorder and schizophrenia .... Not exactly what I was expecting. Past the first chapter, it starts to make more sense. As in "one moment I feel happy, then I feel down". Or "I am a conscientious worker, but I also like to get drunk at weekends"
Crunchylump
Apr 13, 2010 Crunchylump rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ego-states or personalities as Carter calls them neatly explain why we all have such contradictory traits, why we are sometimes at odds with ourselves, feelings come upon as "for no discernable reason" and we occasionally do things which are "completely unlike" us.

I am one of those who experience contradictory thoughts constantly battling it out in here, trying to beat each other into submission. That would be different ego-states not getting the team work vibe.

Multiplicity explains the concept
Kathy
Jan 08, 2009 Kathy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit that I am only skimming this one. Started with the second section, since the author noted the book could be read according to one's desire. The second section is the practical one with questions and instructions for diagramming one's personalities. The first section is in-depth explanation of the theory of how our brains form personalities and that we all experience multiplicity at some point along a continuum from singular major personality to the extreme of multiple personality ...more
Megan
May 13, 2011 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The more I read this, the more I began to think it was making me crazier than I previously thought I was. I think it's interesting how some roles might turn into personalities, but I'm not so sure about giving them names or talking to them in the way Carter suggests. I'd like to think not everyone is actually telling their Party Pooper personality to sleep during the next birthday bash you go to, but I don't remember Carter actually mentioning it, so it made me wonder if she really was suggestin ...more
Mary
Apr 26, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading about the author's theory that we all have different "personalities" that come out in certain situations or when we are feeling a certain way. Her ideas provided a really interesting framework for me to think about my own multiple "personalities" or ways of being.
Michael K
The proposition here is that the individual personality, previously modelled as a set of conflicts, can better be modelled as a set of conflicting personalities. While this doesn't seem at first to be a great breakthrough, it certainly seems to be a much more useful model of personality and one which has probably reached a commonplace understanding (in humorous asides like 'He's an interesting bunch of guys')before it arrives, here, as a 'new' understanding by psychologists.

Carter's introduction
Elaine Nelson
I started this book, was kinda "meh" about it initially; yesterday I was going to take it back to the library & started reading on the bus. A little skipping around took me past the MPD stuff into the actually useful/interesting bits: the idea of oneself as a collection of personas (!) and not as masks, but as the actual pieces of oneself. I didn't get anywhere near finished (book was already overdue), but just starting to think about those different aspects has been interesting. Am planning ...more
Nancy
Sep 17, 2008 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I picked this book up to look at the issues and challenges of multimembership (in communities online and off) and dove into a great explanation of this complex thing we call "personality." I've gotten a lot of insight and am only half way through.
Terri
Jun 03, 2015 Terri rated it liked it
Some really interesting insights and info in to personalities, although the exercises in the last part mean you need to have people you are very comfortable with and who know you well.
Amanda Kence
Dec 30, 2008 Amanda Kence rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Good book and interesting but I needed to take a break from the psych/soc kind of books. I'm sure I'll go back to it soon.
Chris
Nov 11, 2009 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a mind blowing read!
Foreign
Apr 25, 2008 Foreign added it
Shelves: uk-littlebrown
UK: trade paperback original
Korrin
Korrin marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Kristina  Jakuš
Kristina Jakuš marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Lena
Lena marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Susan
Susan added it
Jan 31, 2016
Ember
Ember rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Alyona
Alyona marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Kuba
Kuba marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Kelvin
Kelvin added it
Dec 17, 2015
Rowena
Rowena rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2015
Sarah Harrison
Sarah Harrison marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Savannah Merold
Savannah Merold marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Vasilis Spilka
Vasilis Spilka marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Zack Reagin
Zack Reagin marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Private Life of the Brain: Emotions, Consciousness, and the Secret Life of the Self
  • Wider Than the Sky: The Phenomenal Gift of Consciousness
  • Madness Explained
  • Fundamentals of Human Neuropsychology
  • The Architecture of Madness: Insane Asylums in the United States
  • Brain Sex: The Real Difference Between Men and Women
  • Children's Minds
  • Mindfield: How Brain Science is Changing Our World
  • Recovery of Your Inner Child: The Highly Acclaimed Method for Liberating Your Inner Self
  • Psychiatry: A Very Short Introduction
  • The New Personality Self-Portrait: Why You Think, Work, Love and Act the Way You Do
  • How Brains Think: Evolving Intelligence, Then And Now
  • Picking Up The Pieces
  • The Birth of the Mind: How a Tiny Number of Genes Creates The Complexities of Human Thought
  • The Brain: A Very Short Introduction