Multiplicity: The New Science of Personality

Multiplicity: The New Science of Personality

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In 'Multiplicity', Rita Carter offers a new and vital understanding of personality. She explains that nearly every one of us is a team of personalities, working together, for the most part, to give the impression of a unified self.
Published 2008 by Little Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Multiplicity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Multiplicity

VBergen
This is the second book from Rita Carter that I read and I like a lot the way she brings some science to the common understanding but without treating the readers as dummies. This book has a fair amount of explanations and examples. It feels like the part with the exercises could be longer though ;) Some remarkable paragraphs from the book:

- Human behavior is much more under the control of situational forces than most of us recognize or want to acknowledge (...) It is not so much the kind of per...more
Courtney
I thought this book would be more informative, and go into more depth about this theory of multiplicity. The first part of the book (a little over 100 pages) was interesting enough to get you started on the theory, but I was disappointed that it ended there. The second part of the book had little exercises you could do to understand your own personalities. Overall, I was hoping for an informative read, rather than some sort of entertaining survey to pass a couple of hours.
Crunchylump
Ego-states or personalities as Carter calls them neatly explain why we all have such contradictory traits, why we are sometimes at odds with ourselves, feelings come upon as "for no discernable reason" and we occasionally do things which are "completely unlike" us.

I am one of those who experience contradictory thoughts constantly battling it out in here, trying to beat each other into submission. That would be different ego-states not getting the team work vibe.

Multiplicity explains the concept...more
Kathy
I have to admit that I am only skimming this one. Started with the second section, since the author noted the book could be read according to one's desire. The second section is the practical one with questions and instructions for diagramming one's personalities. The first section is in-depth explanation of the theory of how our brains form personalities and that we all experience multiplicity at some point along a continuum from singular major personality to the extreme of multiple personality...more
Megan
The more I read this, the more I began to think it was making me crazier than I previously thought I was. I think it's interesting how some roles might turn into personalities, but I'm not so sure about giving them names or talking to them in the way Carter suggests. I'd like to think not everyone is actually telling their Party Pooper personality to sleep during the next birthday bash you go to, but I don't remember Carter actually mentioning it, so it made me wonder if she really was suggestin...more
Mary Martin
I enjoyed reading about the author's theory that we all have different "personalities" that come out in certain situations or when we are feeling a certain way. Her ideas provided a really interesting framework for me to think about my own multiple "personalities" or ways of being.
Internotional Times
The proposition here is that the individual personality, previously modelled as a set of conflicts, can better be modelled as a set of conflicting personalities. While this doesn't seem at first to be a great breakthrough, it certainly seems to be a much more useful model of personality and one which has probably reached a commonplace understanding (in humorous asides like 'He's an interesting bunch of guys')before it arrives, here, as a 'new' understanding by psychologists.

Carter's introduction...more
Elaine Nelson
I started this book, was kinda "meh" about it initially; yesterday I was going to take it back to the library & started reading on the bus. A little skipping around took me past the MPD stuff into the actually useful/interesting bits: the idea of oneself as a collection of personas (!) and not as masks, but as the actual pieces of oneself. I didn't get anywhere near finished (book was already overdue), but just starting to think about those different aspects has been interesting. Am planning...more
Nancy
I picked this book up to look at the issues and challenges of multimembership (in communities online and off) and dove into a great explanation of this complex thing we call "personality." I've gotten a lot of insight and am only half way through.
Amanda Kence
Good book and interesting but I needed to take a break from the psych/soc kind of books. I'm sure I'll go back to it soon.
Chris
Kathy
Kathy added it
Aug 09, 2014
Angel Diaz
Angel Diaz marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Saleena Davidson
Saleena Davidson marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Arnold Wee
Arnold Wee marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Sisay Deneke
Sisay Deneke marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Mana
Mana marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Gretchen
Gretchen marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
A
A marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Peg
Peg is currently reading it
Jan 27, 2014
Suat Kart
Suat Kart marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Mapping the Mind Exploring Consciousness The Human Brain Book Mapping the Memory: Understanding Your Brain to Improve Your Memory The People You Are