Start by marking “Poems by Gerard Manley Hopkins” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Poems by Gerard Manley...

Gerard Manley Hopkins

Poems by Gerard Manley Hopkins

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  1,017 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Fourth ed. based on the First ed. of 1918 and enl. to incorporate all known Poems and Fragments. Ed. with additional notes, a Foreword on the Revised Text, and a new biographical and critical introd. by W.H. Gardner and N.H. MacKenzie.
163 pages
Published 1974 by The Folio Society (first published January 1st 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Poems by Gerard Manley Hopkins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poems by Gerard Manley Hopkins

Tony
Jul 26, 2012 Tony rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
POEMS: GERARD MANLEY HOPKINS. (this ed. 1999). ****.
This was a Folio Society publication, with an introduction and notes by Norman H. MacKenzie. Hopkins (1844-1889) was an English poet and a Roman Catholic convert. He became a priest in the S.J. order, and spent time in Ireland. His poems are not typical of those of most of the Victorian poets of the time. His work only became popular and available to the public after his death – primarily because of his duties to the priesthood. I have no idea
Aran
Hopkins is so amazing. His sonnets are so tight and innovative. And for a monk, such intense conflict! And so daaaaaaaaark.
Robbie
Hopkins is one of the greatest poets of all time. Wonderfully luminous.
Elizabeth

THE WORLD is charged with the grandeur of God.
It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod; 5
And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
And wears man’s smudge and shares man’s smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
There lives the dearest freshness deep down things; 10
An
Abbi Dion
Great freakin' cover. Used to sit and read "The Winderhover" once a day in 2005... "I caught this morning morning's minion, kingdom of daylight's dauphin dapple-dawn-drawn falcon, in his riding. Of the rolling level underneath him steady air, and striding. High there..." Gorgeous. Wonderful bio criticism of Hopkins in Buechner's "Speak What We Feel, Not What We Ought To Say", just FYI.
Jonathan
Beautiful poetry that feels like golden honey dripping, then flying, then cascading off the page.

I am aware that honey only really drips but I don't have the lyrical power of Hopkins. Read the poems and be transported into the very heart of Nature's power with all it's sounds, smells and tastes.
Vyvyan
Sep 03, 2009 Vyvyan added it
Shelves: poetry, own
Picked this up in a tiny village in the Cotswolds, mostly because I like Hopkins, could stand to get further acquainted with him, and because I'm weak to a really pretty hardcover edition of poetry with its own case. Particularly when I'm on holiday. Even if it is a selected edition.
Jenny
Jun 08, 2012 Jenny is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I'm always reading Hopkins, but this time through, I'm attempting to memorize a few of my favorites as well--especially since his poetry goes so well with walking while drinking in the wonder of the world.
Vincent Wright
LOVE Gerard Manley Hopkins poetry! Could recite The Windhover - ALL DAY!
Betty
He speaks my soul language!
Derek
Analysis of “Windhover”

On the surface, Hopkins’ “Windhover” is a poem is about a bird hovering in the air, a falcon suspended, a dangerous bird of prey to be reckoned with. With careful and sensitive language, Hopkins attempts to convey the inexpressible awe he feels in witnessing the “windhover.” He approaches the line where language is insufficient and only inarticulate sounds will do. The poem contains four exlamation marks, the words “oh” and “ah,” and even one incomplete phrase: “the achiev
Elizabeth Shafer
While I don't always love the technique of 'sprung rhythm', Hopkins' poems using this method have some wonderful evocations of a mystical, ecstatic approach to life.
Robert
Oct 07, 2007 Robert rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: scholars
Much of Hopkins's verse was not necessarily much more interesting to modern readers than other poets of the 19th century. What remains remarkable are his most famous poems, and for this reason I would recommend Hopkins: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets) or a similar, more compact edition to most readers.
More here: http://www.robertpeake.com/archives/362-The-Revelations-of-Gerard-Manley-Hopkins.html
Bea Alden
I have a much earlier edition - the third after the original edited by Robert Bridges - revised and published in 1960.
GMH is to me, the quintessential poet. His verse speaks so clearly and deeply of the life of creation, as well as his own heartfelt creative life.
I can scarcely say I have "read" his poems, for I read them again and again with new insights.
Riannon
I love the way Hopkins puts words together. For full effect, I think it's best to read his poems quietly aloud to one's self. I'd be hard-pressed to choose a favorite of Hopkins' poems, but among those I like best is Spring and Fall.
Trevor Davis
My favorite poem of all time is in the book - God's Grandeur. The back half is poetry in Latin and other stuff way beyond me, but the poetry that I understand is awesome.
Jim
hopkins was Mad. L'Engle's favorite poet. the language is too otherworldly(?) for me
Mike
Idiotic religious devotion, but his language is unparalleled.
Louise Bishop
Louise Bishop marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Folie
Folie marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Sharon Jones
Sharon Jones marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Somiddha Chowdhury
Somiddha Chowdhury marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Hnort
Hnort marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
  • The Complete Poems
  • The Complete English Poems (Herbert, George)
  • The Complete Poetry and Selected Prose
  • The Works of William Wordsworth (Wordsworth Collection)
  • Selected Poems
  • Selected Poems, 1966-1987
  • Coleridge's Poetry and Prose (Critical Edition)
  • The Poems of Marianne Moore
  • The Complete Poems
  • Poems and Other Writings (Library of America #118)
  • The Metaphysical Poets (Penguin Classics)
  • Aurora Leigh
  • The Hound of Heaven
  • A Serious Call to a Devout and Holy Life
  • Poetry (Norton Critical Editions)
  • Poetry and Designs: Authoritative Texts, Illuminations in Color and Monochrome, Related Prose, Criticism
  • Dover Beach and Other Poems
195780
Gerard Manley Hopkins was an English poet, Roman Catholic convert, and Jesuit priest, whose 20th-century fame established him posthumously among the leading Victorian poets. His experimental explorations in prosody (especially sprung rhythm) and his use of imagery established him as a daring innovator in a period of largely traditional verse.
More about Gerard Manley Hopkins...
Poems and Prose Gerard Manley Hopkins: The Major Works Hopkins: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets) God's Grandeur and Other Poems Mortal Beauty, God's Grace: Major Poems and Spiritual Writings of Gerard Manley Hopkins

Pied Beauty— "

Glory be to God for dappled things--
For skies of couple-colour as a brinded cow;
For rose-moles all in stipple upon trout that swim;
Fresh-firecoal chestnut-falls; finches' wings;
Landscape plotted and pieced--fold, fallow, and plough;
And all trades, their gear and tackle and trim.

All things counter, original, spare, strange;
Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change:
Praise Him.”
37 likes
“No worst, there is none. Pitched past pitch of grief,
More pangs will, schooled at forepangs, wilder wring.
Comforter, where, where is your comforting?
Mary, mother of us, where is your relief?
My cries heave, herds-long; huddle in a main, a chief-
woe, world-sorrow; on an age-old anvil wince and sing —
Then lull, then leave off. Fury had shrieked 'No ling-
ering! Let me be fell: force I must be brief'.
O the mind, mind has mountains; cliffs of fall
Frightful, sheer, no-man-fathomed. Hold them cheap
May who ne'er hung there. Nor does long our small
Durance deal with that steep or deep. Here! creep,
Wretch, under a comfort serves in a whirlwind: all
Life death does end and each day dies with sleep.”
17 likes