Anno's Magic Seeds

Anno's Magic Seeds

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  32 reviews
A gift from a wizard makes Jack's fortune grow by ones and twos, then threes and fours, then faster and faster, challenging you to keep track of his riches.

"The real wizard is the renowned Japanese author and illustrator, who has found yet another way to introduce numbers and counting with wit and charm...Endlessly rewarding." --The New York Times Book Review

"Children old...more
Hardcover, 1 page
Published February 14th 1995 by Philomel

Kirei
A man is given two magic seeds. He is told he can eat one, and it will sustain him all winter, and plant the other one, which will bear two more magic seeds. For several years he does so, and each year winds up with one seed to plant.
But then he gets smart. He decides to eat something else, and plants BOTH seeds and ends up with four magic seeds. From then on, he is on a roll. He can eat and plant and still end up with more seeds than he started with. You are asked to do math problems to find o...more
Brianne Griffin
"Anno's Magic Seeds" is a picture book written and illustrated by Mitsumasa Anno. The text was set in Goudy Old Style and the illustrations are done in marvelous water colors. The text is quite poetic and repetitive. Both the montages and double page spread illustrations are framed in gold borders.The story requires a reader's constant attention to understand the counting. At the end of each page it asks questions like "how many seeds are buried now?" to keep the reader up to date. At the end in...more
Anna Davis
Anno's Magic Seeds by Mitsumasa is an okay book. I’m not sure what age this is for, because it starts out simple math but grows to be confusing, so probably not great for younger grade levels. It is about a man named Anno who is given two magic seeds. He is told that he can just eat one, and it will last him all winter, but if he plants the other one, it will lead to two other magic seeds. He does this for years. As time goes on he gets smarter and decided to create a strategy. The book asks you...more
This has to be read aloud and taught (unless the child is a math genius) to fully appreciate it. The concept is multiplication and exponential growth. It's good for grade 4 and up. Anno gets two magic seeds and at first, he does what he's told. He eats one and plants the other, so each year he ends up with two seeds again. But what will happen if he breaks the cycle and plants BOTH seeds? Well, his harvest multiplies, and we are lead through exactly HOW that happens. With visuals to anchor us as...more
Kayla
Anno created a wonderful and interesting math story. This was not my favorite of the three, but it was quite good. The story goes on and on with Anno's magic seeds. He first eats one and plants one, then they multiply, double, and triple. This story is fabulous in guiding children through their math skills in a fun and adventurous way. The pictures are also well done incorporating the plants and magic seeds for children to visually count and follow along with. Teachers could implement this story...more
Carlee
Kris
Nice for a math tie-in lesson. Best to give kids paper and pencils as you read rather than keep track of all the seeds mentally!
A wizard gives Jack 2 magic seeds, one to cook and eat and the other to plant. Each plant grows 2 seeds. Jack decides one year to plant both seeds. The story continues with the amount of seeds planted and used each year. Could be used to write and solve expressions, equations, and ratios. Could have students graph the information.

6th Grade Common Core Standards:

Statistics and Probability
6.SP.4

*Available at Albuquerque/Bernalill...more
Brady
I like this author very much.
Vanessa Peavy
I personally found this book a little boring to read, so students might have a hard time focusing so keeping them engaged, hands in activities would be best. When reading this book have students sit in groups to work together to solve the problems within the book page-by-page. Have another group of students keep track of the amount of seeds planted by graphing.Great lesson to go along with this book:

Stacy
The book is in a portrait style with boarders all throughout the book. The art style seems to be done in water color with some gold marker for the seeds. As you read on the boarders of the pictures are split up into halves on the paper. The story its self is fun to read and after a while gets you to start thinking on what is going one. It is good for learning how to keep track of multiplication by twos. The book starts even before the title page so you need to look out for that when you read it....more
Scott Roark
Simplistic way to introduce multiplication. Main character, Jack takes magic seeds and slowly doubles them, so that he is eventually able to feed many people. Could take this concept and weave it into a brain teaser for children to work on. Combine this book with a science lesson to see the number of seeds a plant actually produces and how long it would take to create a high number of seeds, say 250. We would replant each seed and replicate the process.
Janelle
I liked this book, but think it will only appeal to a limited audience as the child has to pay attention. I like that it has an interactive element in asking how many seeds would come next. It's a great way to practice match skills, and you could count along using actual seeds or buttons or something. I also think this is a good book to prompt a discussion about planting seeds and crops, and that would be a great follow-up activity.
Betsy
Math picture books are so informative when they're well done. Anno's gentle illustrations are a perfect match for this gentle story of multiplication, addition, subtraction, division. The story contains sometimes complicated word problems, but Anno's clever illustrations will show the perceptive reader/viewer exactly what the answer is with minimal mental work (hint: think of groups of 10). Great for elementary school.
Alana Graham
This is a great book to use when introducing multiplication. The author uses a creative way to incorporate math, but it's a bit dull at the beginning, and the towards the end it starts to read like math problems. I would only recommend reading this as a read aloud and adding tons of enthusiasm, with a few stops to discuss what's going on at the end.
Alison Tripp
This book was boring. I should probably give it one star but it does eventually get into multiplication and gives the reader a chance to think about the problem before jumping right into the answer. The story line was weak, the pictures were dull and the math was poorly disguised into something fun. It was basically one really long word problem.
Audrey
This is a good book to read to work on students with doubles. Using unifix cubes to represent the seeds the students could double along with the story. There are multiple problems to keep track of, like the amount of seeds have been planted vs not planted. What would you want to be able to double if you could?
Victoria Clay
This book is great for students who enjoy a something a little challenging. It uses a story about the magic seeds to discuss doubling. It starts of simple with basic doubles and subtraction but as the numbers get larger, it gets a little harder.
Deanna Mcdonough
It was a bit of a boring book. I think if your useing it for a math lesson it would be good. However, just standing alone it's a boring book. It's ok for young readers. It's about this Jack and his life and how his life progress.
Amber
This is such a fun book! We got out the white board and marker to figure out the how many seeds questions. About halfway through Blake yelled "Hey! This is a math book!" But he wanted to finish the story anyway.
Allison Burke
This is a great book to introduce word problems using addition and subtraction. It uses great math vocabulary throughout the book as well. It shows children how to connect math to everyday life. Grades 1-3
Angela
Excellent book for math lesson(s). Have students do word problems, equations based on the story. Can also be used to incorporate science into a math lesson or vice verse.
Christian
Mom here. I read this book to the kids because I wanted them to get a vision for the exponential curve, especially when it comes to saving money.
Leona
I don't think the story of a man who begins to multiply his seed crop is very interesting to kids. The pictures aren't very engaging either.
Cindy
This book is about a boy who plants a seed and it multiplies throughout a span of time. It has great vocabulary and adjective examples.
Debra
Grades 4 Up

Exponential growth/Multiplication/Patterns

Plant Growth from Seeds
Teri
Books that turn out to be one big math problem quickly loose their appeal.
Deborah
one of his few books with words, it is really a good lesson.
Mbrooke
Useful to introduce array's and multiplication.
We enjoyed this, but it wasn't our favorite.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
72077
Mitsumasa Anno (born March 20, 1926) is a Japanese illustrator and writer of children's books, known best for picture books with few or no words. He received the international Hans Christian Andersen Medal in 1984 for his "lasting contribution to children's literature".

Source: Wikipedia.
More about Mitsumasa Anno...
Anno's Journey Anno's Counting Book Anno's U.S.A. Anno's Alphabet Anno's Math Games