Start by marking “I Love You Like Crazy Cakes” as Want to Read:
I Love You Like Crazy Cakes

I Love You Like Crazy Cakes

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  435 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
This story of a woman who travels to China to adopt a baby girl, based on the author's own experiences, is a celebration of the love and joy a baby brings into the home. Full color.
Published September 1st 2000 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about I Love You Like Crazy Cakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Love You Like Crazy Cakes

Blondie
Jan 06, 2009 Blondie rated it liked it
Shelves: adoption
As an adoptive parent, I am always on the search books to help reinforce or validate my children's experience with adoption.

My daughter loved the illustrations, and could really connect with the story as it was similar to her own in many ways.
Although we are a 2 parent family, I was pleased to find this story shared from a single adoptive mother's view, as that is so rarely the case with adoption books.

I would note a word of caution to those anticipating sharing it with your adopted child, howev
Julie
May 07, 2015 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Ages 3-6.

I wanted to like this one more than I did. I don't think I would use this as a read-aloud in a classroom. The pictures are sweet, very beautiful. The concept is one that is often over looked, one of adoption.

But the book is written as a mother talking to her baby, and it's almost too personal to be generalized. Although I was reading to a seven year old, several times she would say, "Me?" after I read from the book, because it references "I" as the mother and "you" to refer to the bab
Kari Weber
Jul 02, 2011 Kari Weber rated it it was ok
Adopting a child is a hopeful and exciting time in a new parent’s life. This book is told from the perspective of a mother explaining her story to her new baby girl. She tells about the “big room” in China where her baby was kept with numerous other baby girls in shared cribs. All of them were taken care of by nannies but were missing what they really needed. She tells her daughter of their first few days together and about the excitement from friends and family when they returned home. Perhaps ...more
Ashley
Oct 11, 2015 Ashley rated it really liked it
Title / Author / Publication Date:
I Love You Like Crazy Cakes / Lewis, Rose A. Dyer, Jane. (ill.) / 2000

Genre: Fiction

Format: Picture Book – print

Plot summary:
A story based on the author’s own adoption experience. She describes how she went to China to adopt her baby daughter.

Review citation:
/* Starred Review */ Writing simply, like a love letter from parent to child, Lewis tells the true story of how she wrote to officials in China to find out if she could adopt a baby, and then went to China t
Trish at Between My Lines
Mar 16, 2013 Trish at Between My Lines rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adoption
This was one of the first children's adoption books that we bought. And still my favourite. Lovely illustrations and heartwarming text. I defy to get to the end of this book without crying!
Susan
Dec 22, 2015 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, storybook
I wanted to enjoy this one more than I did. It was a touching story. However, it also felt as if the reader was being forced into an invasion of the daughter's privacy as the book is essentially a letter from mother to daughter. Maybe it's made for a social media generation where every personal detail of someone's life is posted on the internet for all to see?

After that, there's some disturbing sentences in the book, e.g. the infant 'pretends to sleep' just to get a break from her overwhelming
Mina Lee
Oct 11, 2015 Mina Lee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adoption
"...I received a letter with a picture of a beautiful baby girl...that was you. The people in China said I could adopt you if I promised to take good care of you. I promised I would."

Throughout the book, the illustrations are amazing. They are very vivid and show the author's real-life journey through a perfect depiction of images.The language is very realistic and relatable. This book can serve as a book for parents that also adopted children from China and are searching for something that they
Mary
Oct 25, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it
Ages 3-8

From Booklist
Ages 4-8. The title sounds sweet, but this autobiographical story of a woman journalist's trip to China to adopt a baby girl seems less fictional sentiment than reportage. In a gentle manner just right for a picture-book audience, Lewis first explains China's current adoption and placement policies for baby girls. She then goes on to write about one special Chinese baby girl who had everything but a mother, and one American woman who had everything but a baby. "How did someo
Rachel Kenney
Oct 25, 2012 Rachel Kenney rated it it was amazing
Grade/interest level: Early Elementary
Reading level: 550 Lexile
Genre: Picture Book (non-fiction)
Main Characters: Mother, daughter.
Setting: Mother's home, China
POV: Mother

This story is about a true story of a single mother who adopts a baby girl from China. First, the mom writes a letter to the people in China to ask for a child to adopt. They say yes and so the mother travels to a Chinese orphanage to get her new little baby. Here she meets other babies and cries when she gets to hold her ow
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for Kids @ TeensReadToo.com

With I LOVE YOU LIKE CRAZY CAKES, author Rose Lewis brings to lifer her true story of adopting a baby from China. What begins as a letter to Chinese officials ends with bringing home a baby girl, to the delight of her new mother and extended family.

Jane Dyer's illustrations are soft and dreamy, and perfectly compliment the story of Rose and her daughter, Alexandra Mae-Ming Lewis. From that first time of holding her new daughter, to the first night alone
Linda
This is a sweet story of the connection made between a baby girl in China with no mother and a young American woman with no daughter. The story is told by the mother to her daughter of how the both cried when they met. They each knew then that they were destined to be together. Both were falling in love with one another. The mother describes how she took pictures and they played dress up with hats. When they flew home, they met her new American family. There were many visitors who brought her pr ...more
Brooke
Nov 22, 2013 Brooke rated it it was amazing
I Love You Like Crazy Cakes by Rose A. Lewis is the winner of the Book Sense Book of the Year Honor Book for Children's Illustrated (2001). It is a sweet picture book for ages nursery to primary. Such a relaxing and “cozy” book, I remember how much I loved to cuddle up with my mom as she read this to me. It is about a young mother who adopts a baby. The woman travels to China, where she meets her new daughter and immediately, the two fall in love. Such a touching book, it really tugs on those he ...more
Brynn Sugarman
Nov 04, 2012 Brynn Sugarman rated it it was amazing
I recently reread this story, and it is a beautiful book for any child's library. "I Love You Like Crazy Cakes" presents the adoptive process in a personal and touching way. At once multicultural and alternative in its approach to building a family (the narrator is a single Caucasian mother who has adopted a Chinese baby girl,)the story speaks of longing and mutual need and a perfect fit made across the oceans, not just by governmental authorities but seemingly by something deeper and far more s ...more
Jackie
Apr 03, 2008 Jackie rated it really liked it
This touching story of a young woman’s journey to a far-away land is compelling and worrisome, yet joyous in the end. Although we do not know the young woman’s name, or the baby’s name, we have a sense that it could be any mother and child. All that truly matters is the love of parent for a child and child’s love for a parent, supplemented by the extended family’s love through support and acceptance.
This young mother wanted a child to love for as long as she could remember and so, many miles aw
Meg McGregor
Feb 19, 2015 Meg McGregor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most beautiful books I have ever read about bringing a child of the heart into the home.

I adopted Katherine 21 years ago, when she was only 10 days old. Darryl and I had waited 8 long years for her. When she was put into my arms, I cried and cried from happiness. That memory is so vivid in my mind it seems like only yesterday!

I hope Katherine's birth mother knows how treasured our daughter is and I rejoice with Ms. Lewis on being able to bring her baby home.
Ashleigh Dunning
Oct 11, 2015 Ashleigh Dunning rated it it was amazing
This touching story is about a new mother telling her daughter about the time she went to get her from China. She shares her thoughts and hopes for her life and how grateful she is.
"When you looked at me with those big brown eyes, I knew we belonged together. 'I love you like crazy cakes,' I whispered. How did this happen? How did someone make this perfect match a world away?"
Meg McGregor
Jan 25, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-lexi

I adopted Katherine 20 years ago, when she was only 10 days old. Darryl and I had waited 8 long years for her. When she was put into my arms, I cried and cried from happiness. That memory is so vivid in my mind it seems like only yesterday!

Elizabeth
Jan 24, 2009 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Shelves: asian-american
I Love You Like Crazy Cakes is Rose Lewis's love letter to her adopted Chinese daughter, documenting Lewis's desire for a baby, the adoption process and the journey home. The story is mostly sweet and tender, and those moods are emphasized by Jane Dyers wonderful illustrations. However I found several lines in the book to be jarringly dispruptive. One of these, the most jarring, is "How did someone make this perfect match a world away? Did the Chinese people have a special window to my soul." Ha ...more
Jen
Jan 28, 2016 Jen added it
Shelves: picture-book
(2000)This story is about an American woman who flies to China to adopt a baby girl. The story shows how the woman writes to request an adoption, her trip to China, the first time she meets her daughter, and introducing the new baby to friends and family. This is a sweet adoption story that is beautifully illustrated.
Dinah Akrong
Nov 30, 2015 Dinah Akrong rated it really liked it
Shelves: family, adoption
This is a book on adoption. I will not only read this book to someone who is adopted, but to the whole class, because it is so informative , its good for the children to know of how some families are different but alike. I love how the author narrated the whole jourey from America to china and China to America.
Lauren James
Sep 27, 2012 Lauren James rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, pre-2002, prek-k
This is a cute book about adoption and the ultimate reconciliation between the birth family and the adopted family, and I'm sure it's valuable for children to have some look at their parents' view of the adoption. The illustrations are also beautiful. That said, at times I felt that the book's story was more generic than specific--this could be any adoption story (or at least any adoption story where the baby comes from China), and I wanted a better idea of how this mother and daughter, in parti ...more
Claire
Sep 10, 2015 Claire rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5-8
This book is about a little Asian girl who is adopted by a loving mother. The genre of this book is a picture book and it is for the ages 5-8 years old. I rated this book four stars because it was precious and showed a real life situation which would be good to explain to my students. Some major themes in this book were love, compassion, and trust.
Mia
Mar 04, 2012 Mia rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-book
I've always heard this book mentioned, so when my friend adopted a baby girl I decided to purchase it for her. I was disappointed. The illustrations were dull and uninteresting. The text was also on the same bland level.

The book only mentions a mother. Not really a problem since there are a lot of single parent adoptions, but my friend has a hubby and he felt left out. So she fixed this by typing up some cute little text and gluing it in the book. So, issue resolved for her.

So PROS for the book:
Valenza Whitaker
Such a cute and awesome book. An american lady decides she is going to adopt a baby from China. And at the end of the day, She tells her new daughter, "I love you like Crazy Cakes". And warm book to read to your child.
Heidi
Mar 21, 2010 Heidi rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Summary: This book is based on the true story of the author, who adopts a baby girl from China. While reading, you follow her journey through paperwork, the flight, being in the orphanage to finally being home with her new baby.

Reading Level: 2nd-5th

Genre: Picture Book

Topic: International Adoption

Use: Independent Reading & Read Aloud

Social Issues: Adoption

Literary Terms: This book shows sequence of events perfectly. You follow the author's adoption process step by step. If one step was take
Jaimee Huskins
Sep 12, 2014 Jaimee Huskins rated it it was ok
This book is a cute story about how a little Chinese baby was adopted by her mom. It is a good story to explain how children get adopted and end up where they did. The pictures work very well with the story.
Brooke
May 01, 2010 Brooke rated it liked it
Summary:
From Amazon.com Review
"Mother-love is profound, however a baby comes into a woman's life. For Rose Lewis, the journey to motherhood begins with a letter to Chinese officials, asking if she can adopt from the "big room with lots of other babies." The infants in that room in China are each missing a mother, but Lewis is missing something, too--a baby. She travels to China to meet her new little girl and falls head over heels in love. Taking her baby home to America, Lewis introduces her to
Lizet Serrano
I think this book as an excellent way to introduce adoption to children. It could be a sensitive topic, but I feel this is acceptable and appropriate for young children.
Beth F.
Dec 26, 2008 Beth F. rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidlets
This was a drive-by read for me. I don’t have children so don’t find myself reading children’s books on a regular basis. However, I walked past a display of children’s books and was drawn in by the title: I Love You Like Crazy Cakes.

The book itself is a hardboard book, perfect for toddlers or young people who are still learning how to be gentle with books. This is a very touching story about a mother who flew to China to adopt a little girl and how quickly she fell in love with her upon meeting
Lauren White
About a Chinese adoption. Single mother. Definitely a text more for parents/child when old rather than a riveting children's text.
  • A Mother for Choco
  • Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born
  • Over the Moon: An Adoption Tale
  • We Belong Together: A Book About Adoption and Families
  • Sam and the Lucky Money
  • Little Miss Spider
  • Wanting a Daughter, Needing a Son: Abandonment, Adoption, and Orphanage Care in China
  • Bringing In the New Year
  • Twenty Things Adopted Kids Wish Their Adoptive Parents Knew
  • Abuela
  • black is brown is tan
  • I Wished for You: An Adoption Story
  • Happy Birthday, Martin Luther King Jr.
  • Raising Adopted Children: Practical Reassuring Advice for Every Adoptive Parent
  • Shades of Black: A Celebration of Our Children