Start by marking “Kinderjaren” as Want to Read:
Kinderjaren

Kinderjaren

Gevoelens en ervaringen van een Joodse kleuter, die tijdens de Tweede Wereldoorlog met zijn ouders enkele jaren in een concentratiekamp doorbrengt.
Published 1978 by BZZTôH

To ask other readers questions about Kinderjaren, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kinderjaren

Booklunatic
Feb 16, 2016 Booklunatic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Sterne

Die Einfachheit und Unbedarftheit des Erzählstils nimmt der Geschichte nichts von ihrer emotionalen Wucht, eher im Gegenteil.
Emma Sue
Dec 28, 2015 Emma Sue rated it liked it
The Second World War is a very interesting subject and i always want to know more about it. To see everything in a Childperspective is very interesting.
The writer, Jona, is that little boy who survived. If you want to read something about the WOII, i recommend this!!
Joseph
The story recounted in Jona Oberski's novella is tragically familiar - during World War II, the life of a young Jewish couple and their 7-year old son is destroyed when they are taken from Amsterdam to the concentration camp of Bergen-Belsen. What sets this book apart from other Holocaust stories is the narrative voice, which is that of the little boy. The simplicity of the narration, brilliantly rendered in Ralph Manheim's translation, fuels the tragic irony of the text. It is very obvious that ...more
Mark
When I first read the synopsis in the backcover, I thought I'm going to read a book as good as Elie Wiesel's Night.

I was wrong.

Kinderjaren was a story about a Jew kid, told in a first person point of view, who lived in Amsterdam with his parents. One day, they were taken by the mof, German's army in Dutch language, and sent to an internment camp.

As we all can guess, bad things start to happen to little Jona. His father was severely ill, his mother was very depressed. Thank goodness there was a
Ceridwen Price
It's a quick and simple to read account of a young child's experiences of the Second World War. I'm a little unsure if it's a fictional account of real life events or a genuine autobiography written as a child, nevertheless, it is a tidy and touching story.

I am wondering if the book is more enjoyable if read in Dutch or if there is a more comprehensive translation out there? I felt that some of the lexical character may have been lost in translation, or maybe that was the authors intention all
Lynn
Mar 15, 2016 Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very sad little book about a young boy's experience of the holocaust.
Elise
Dec 20, 2016 Elise rated it really liked it
You should read this little book, it is just beautiful.
Christian Engler
In the canon of Holocaust literature, there is a vast litany of authors that one could choose from. From Primo Levy, Cynthia Ozick, Tadeusz Borowski, Imre Kertész and Eliz Wiesel to Isaac Bashevis Singer and W.G. Sebald and onward and onward, each of these authors and even those numerous others not mentioned, have a singular and powerful voice that offer a universal cry for those of the past and present whose cries went unheeded or were violently silenced. And sadly enough, Holocaust authors are ...more
Mary Lou
Feb 24, 2017 Mary Lou rated it really liked it
Childhood is a story told by five-year-old Jona. It's a fictional account of what happened during the Holocaust, only this time from a child's perspective. Jona, along with his mother and father are anxiously awaiting their chance to emigrate from Amsterdam to Palestine until one night when they are awakened, put on a train and eventually imprisoned at Bergen-Belsen. While there, Jona's father passes away and the child slowly begins to realize there are atrocities occurring all around that he do ...more
Marit
Mar 05, 2017 Marit rated it liked it
Opsommerig geschreven en er wordt het gehele boek door gebruik genaakt van de indirecte reden, waar ik me gaandeweg aan begon te ergeren.

Door de eenvoud van het boek is het beklemmend. Mooi.
Lisa
The blurb tells me that this slim book is a novel (a novella really, it’s only 137 pages long) but there is an awful veracity about it and it seems more like fragmented memories from real life.

Jona Oberski (born 1938 in Amsterdam) is a Dutch writer. Wikipedia tell me that his parents fled Nazi Germany the year before he was born, but they were deported to Bergen-Belsen some time after the Netherlands were occupied in 1940. The child who narrates this story is about the same age as Oberski would
Aurélie (Exploring Pages)
This review appears on RelleReads. Check it out for reviews, writing and more! Nope, kidding. Just those two.

The most interesting thing after reading Childhood, is the point of view. Never have I read a book told from a seven-year-old boy's point of view. It made the book very interesting, it is also one of the few things I'd applaud the author for. You don't know anything more than the boy does, and everything is described how I would picture a child, picturing it. How difficult it must be to i
Sonia Argiolas
Jan 06, 2016 Sonia Argiolas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oberski-jona
L’olandese Jona Oberski, classe ’38, ha vissuto sulla sua pelle l’esperienza del lager: era, allora, solo un bambino. E, dopo lunghi anni di analisi, ha ritrovato il bambino che lui è stato, il testimone di quell’atroce esperienza, e lo ha fatto parlare: infatti, nonostante Anni d’infanzia sia stato pubblicato nel 1978, trent’anni dopo l’esperienza vissuta, è comunque il bambino Jona che parla, non già l’adulto. Non è un caso che lo stesso Oberski abbia affermato che, prima del percorso terapeut ...more
Christina Helms
Nov 02, 2016 Christina Helms rated it liked it
This fictionalized account of the horrors that Jona Oberski faced during the Second World War as a little boy was of course sad and depressing to read about. It is writtwn in a way that you feel like a child is telling the story instead of a man talking about his childhood. If compared to Night by Elie Wiesel it doesn't compare but on its own its a compelling book. Even thpugh it is fiction its still about real events that Oberski went through as a young boy. Its horrible to think about and as a ...more
Izunia
It is difficult to write about Holocaust in such a way that the brutality of the reality does not put off the reader. Jona Oberski's method is to describe the events of the Second World War via the eyes of a child. The book is very easy to read, as the language is simple (a young boy does not understand everything what is going on around him), and it is composed of short chapters each presenting an important event. I cannot say I enjoyed reading it, because it is an account of real events, which ...more
Denise (deesbooknook)
This book was interestingly told in a child's POV of the atrocities of the Holocaust. Not quite sure on how to really review this book.. It wasn't a bad book by any means, it's just that it didn't feel like it was finished properly.

I REALLY didn't like how it ended. The child throws up and his "aunt" gives him a rag to clean it?!? Really, that's how the story ends?!?

I would have liked to have seen how the author grew up and his life experiences.

3.25/5 stars
Narvendina
Jun 01, 2015 Narvendina rated it really liked it
Buku ini sangat menarik, karena diceritakan dari sudut pandang 'Jona Oberski', anak berusia 8 tahun yang yg menceritakan kronologis kehidupan bersama orang tuanya di camp pada masa PD II. Segala peristiwa dan keadaan traumatis dimasa itu seolah tergambar dengan cara yang lugu, tanpa pretentius dari dunia Jona. Sungguh masa kanak-kanak yang tidak lazim. Buku ini sekilas mengingatkan saya akan film Life is Beautiful dari Roberto Benigni..
J.
Dec 14, 2011 J. rated it liked it
I read this book for school and though it was pretty good.
The book is about a young Jewish boy in the Second World War.
The writing is particularly nice because you get to follow the story from his point of view, and most of the time he doesn't understand why certain things happen and what he is (not) supposed to do.
This is a nice edge, but sometimes there is a lack of excitement because of this. The boy is not scared enough.
Tricia Dower
Jan 30, 2015 Tricia Dower rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I took this out of UVic's library based on a recommendation by Juliet Sutcliffe on her review site: Slightly Bookist. The edition I read is the 1983 translation of a 1978 Dutch book by a man who survived incarceration as a child in a concentration camp. This is his story, told through a child's eyes. Reminiscent of Emma Donaghue's Room but different in that this child ages from 5 to 8 in the book and the narrative voice ages accordingly. At once devastating and hopeful.
Annemieke
Feb 12, 2013 Annemieke rated it liked it
I write this review in dutch because i read this book in dutch.

Mooi boek over de Tweede Wereldoorlog vanuit de ogen van een (destijds) 7 jarig joods jongetje. Geen zware verhalen en de continue dreiging zoals bij andere boeken, maar gezien het onderwerp zeer boeiend verteld zonder demoedig te worden.
Janet Aileen
Jan 27, 2015 Janet Aileen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author was interred in Bergen-Belson from ages four to eight. This is a fictional account of his experience. The author conveys the child's anxiety and fear through his prose. This is a small masterpiece.
Nura
Mar 09, 2014 Nura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
menurut gw kata pengantarnya pak lilie udah merangkum isi buku ini. fontnya yang kecil-kecil bikin sakit mata. entah kenapa gw ga bisa relate sama tokohnya. trus yang bikin shock itu pas ibunya ngunjungin ayahnya. hmm... perlu disensor nih kalo dibacain buat anak-anak.
Dina P.
Sep 07, 2014 Dina P. rated it it was amazing
Aku membaca terjemahan bahasa Indonesianya.
Memoar yang berkisah tentang keadaan orang Yahudi selama Perang Dunia ke-2, terutama saat mereka berada dalam kamp.
Dituturkan lewat kacamata Jona Oberski kecil, sehingga kisahnya bisa terasa begitu naif, polos, namun juga sangat gelap.
Leeleewells
Dec 22, 2014 Leeleewells rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pushkin Press has come out with a series of small treasures. These short stories are perfect to take with you on weekend travels and sit in Cafes to enjoy. I read this heartbreaking tale while in Vienna and it painted WWII so vividly through the eyes of an innocent child.
Dymphie
Jan 26, 2012 Dymphie rated it really liked it
Herlezen.
Toen het net uitkwam heb ik het gekocht en gelezen en nu weer, en ik vind het nog steeds prachtig. Zo vanuit het perspectief van een kind beschreven: actie, geen reflectie, niet sentimenteel. Heel mooi, sterk, nog steeds
Rachel
Jul 11, 2016 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting perspective on the Holocaust.
A very abrupt ending.
It's so sad, and dreary. More so because it's from a child's perspective. Seeing these horrors at a incredibly young age is just so traumatizing.
Monica
Apr 07, 2014 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biografico
Il dramma dell'olocausto visto attraverso gli occhi di un bambino, cresciuto nell'orrore nazista e dal quale rimarrà segnato per sempre.

Da questo romanzo è stato tratto il film "Jona che visse nella balena", anno 1993
Harun Harahap
Tulisan ini mengingatkan gue akan buku The Boy in the Striped Pajamas karya John Boyne. Karena ini mengisahkan tentang pengalaman seorang anak di kamp konsentrasi pada masa ekspansif NAZI. Cerita ini ditulis dengan bahasa sederhana. Dengan pemikiran khas anak-anak.
Lisa
Nov 24, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
A fictional account of a child's experience in a concentration camp based on the author's experiences as a child in Bergen-Belsen. This book offers a unique yet rather stark view of camp life. Well worth reading for the art and perspective.
Peter
May 01, 2015 Peter rated it it was amazing
This book I read when I was attending high-school. In those days I was already impressed by its simple, though harsh content. I decided to reread it and was still impressed by the art of drawing pictures by words of a young child.
  • Het bittere kruid
  • River of Shadows
  • The Damned Season
  • The Murderers Among Us
  • Iron Gustav: A Berlin Family Chronicle
  • The Informed Heart
  • I Remember Nothing More: The Warsaw Children's Hospital and the Jewish Resistance
  • Smoke Over Birkenau
  • Children of the Holocaust: Conversations with Sons and Daughters of Survivors
  • The Riddle Of Babi Yar: The True Story Told by a Survivor of the Mass Murders in Kiev, 1941-1943
  • Night Crossing
  • An Accident in August
  • Last Waltz in Vienna
  • Hope Is the Last to Die: A Coming of Age Under Nazi Terror : A Classic of Holocaust Literature
  • Hannah Senesh, Her Life and Diary