Crazy Time: Surviving Divorce and Building a New Life

Crazy Time: Surviving Divorce and Building a New Life

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  22 reviews
A fully revised and updated edition of the essential guide for men and women moving through the turmoil of divorce.
Paperback, Revised, 304 pages
Published December 2nd 1992 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published February 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Crazy Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crazy Time

Kristine (fezabel)
This book is not for divorces with no children involved. I'd like to add that the author tends to use quite a bit of catchy phrases like 'Crazy Time' and repeats them far too often. The case studies and stories in the book can be helpful, but are really too numerous to appreciate.

I did find the descriptions of common feelings and emotions to be helpful however. It's always nice to have those validated and understood. Not a bad book about divorce, but not one I would recommend.
Marsena Dufresne
Jan 10, 2010 Marsena Dufresne rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
This book oozes hysteria, in the worst sense. The overabundance of exclamation marks, coupled with an emphasis on the TWO YEARS it takes to feel normal after a divorce is enough to make a reader feel crazier than when they first picked up the book. Going through a divorce may be a "Crazy Time," and it may in fact take TWO YEARS to get through the worst of the fallout, but we don't need books that exacerbate and feed off that feeling.
Kylene Jones
Horrible book. Did not give any advice just horror stories not to follow. Gave no hope or encouragment on things getting better or a possible good marriage cuz theya re all dysfunctional and everyone cheats- at least according to this book. For someone that is going through a divorce, especially with no abuse or cheating, this book was depressing and discouraging. DO NOT READ!
Felicity
Aug 10, 2008 Felicity rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people contemplating or going through divorce, perhaps friends and families of people doing so.
I read this book some time ago, but I continue to recommend it for anybody going through a divorce. It gives a framework that helps one understand what went wrong. Its descriptions of what to expect and common emotions during divorce can be profoundly reassuring to a person who fears that what they are feeling is 'wrong' or out of proportion.
Stefanie
The short stories are filled with anger, rage and dissapointment - something that everyone feels to varying degrees during a divorce, but I didn't feel like the author was focusing on how to heal, only how to commiserate. Def not a reccomended read for someone going through a divorce.
Pam
The ultimate message of Crazy Time is "you will get through this," something many of my clients find hard to believe. I will continue to recommend this to them.
Jeffrey Brantley
So far I'm about halfway in and it's pretty awful. This author basically takes one of Eric Fromm's most insightful quotes, then tries to re-explain the same idea with her own spin. She fails though and then spends like half the book using made up examples, most of which are so ridiculous to borderline outlandish it's hard to take seriously.

In one example a guy is a high class executive who was in the skull and bones. In the next one, a guy has a French maid who he obviously is having an affair...more
Sharon
Generalizations are made throughout the book, and many of them are not true in my case. I did not have an affair, and I would never have an affair. I was with a dominant man who ended up having an affair with the wife of his best friend. Now that I am single I can say with relative certainty, that unlike the book, I will not become a bed-hopping experimenter. Geez! I think someone is trying to justify their own inappropriate behavior with affairs and sexual wantonness portrayed as the norm.
Jenny
A map for the transition during and after divorce.
Susan
This book was extremely helpful in surviving the "Crazy Time" that is long process of divorce. I read it through and then re-read this book whenever something challenging came up in my journey because parts were relevant to my experiences at different times. I have recommended this book and even bought copies to give to friends as they began their journeys.
Lauren Goldfish
Excellent book on the stages one goes through on the way to, through, and out of divorce. These things are never clear cut, but it is helpful to understand that you're not the only one feeling this way, that a way, all those crazy ways. Written well. Hilarious. Beautiful. It's not just non-fiction, it's written w/ some great flair!
MaryReadsRomance
Not much help for an actual divorce. Read it to prevent a divorce or a future divorce! Excellent food for thought regarding what goes wrong in relationship due to imbalance due dominate / submissive partnering.

Bought for my Sister but read by me instead.

Keith Kendall
I found the book a very interesting read, and have recommended it to several people going through divorce. I don't think any of them ready it. The thesis is simply that it is normal to feel disoriented, and this too will pass.
Mary Rigney
It's a bit dated but some things never change. Whether reeling from an actual divorce or a long term relationship breakup with kids the stages are the same. It does validate the emotional roller coaster!
Brian
Mar 28, 2008 Brian rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: divorce survivors
Recommended to Brian by: marriage counsellor
this was a great roadmap of what to expect and how some of the things I did to deal with my wife leaving were not so out of the ordinary and were in fact quite normal
Jamie
Don't worry, folks. This is for work. Although, I would say if you are going through a divorce, it might be a helpful book to read.
Lynn Burch
Very helpful and informative ... read it before. Needed a refresher! :) But I am reading it!! LOL!
Karen
Helped me through my divorce, nothing fancy but it gave me hope I would come through it ok.
Marcie

Required reading for anyone either considering or going through a divorce!
Kim
An excellent book about divorce.
Debbie
Going through a divorce?
Jeanie
Jun 16, 2011 Jeanie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Solo Mamas
The Gold Standard. A must for anyone going through or recovering from a divorce.
Erica Peruchetti-vetter
Erica Peruchetti-vetter marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Ken Castleman
Ken Castleman marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
My Time: Making The Most Of The Rest Of Your Life As Time Goes By: Boomerang Marriages, Serial Spouses, Throwback Couples, and Other Romantic Adventures in an Age of Longevity Crazy Time: Surviving Divorce and Building a New Life, Crazy Time: Surviving Divorce and Building a New Life, Third Edition As Time Goes By: Boomerang Marriages, Serial Spouses, Throwback Couples, and Other Romantic Adventures in an Age of L