Start by marking “Love 'em or Lose 'em: Getting Good People to Stay” as Want to Read:
Love 'em or Lose 'em: Getting Good People to Stay

Love 'em or Lose 'em: Getting Good People to Stay

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  15 reviews
With replacement costs high and start-up time critical, employee retention is more valuable than ever. This best-selling guide provides 26 strategies to keep talented employees happy and productive. Citing research and experience with dozens of organizations, the authors present many examples of how today's companies have applied their retention strategies and increased th ...more
Published April 1st 2005 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published October 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Love 'em or Lose 'em, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love 'em or Lose 'em

Jacob
This is an interesting, engaging, and extremely useful book about what managers should be doing to retain their talented employees. It has 26 techniques for managers to practice, each starting with a different letter of the alphabet, and while that tactic is a little hokey and some of the categories overlap a bit, it actually serves pretty well. The topics are easy to read and there are many stories about the principles in action.

As an engineer I find this topic interesting because I often focus
♆ BookAddict ♨ ✒ La Crimson Femme❇ ♐
This book is a 3.5 star for me. The chapters are easy to read. It's nice that they keep repeating concepts in different applicable ways. The questions they provide managers to think about and ask are helpful. The examples and anecdotes are also helpful. For those who have never managed people, been in HR or had people indirectly reporting to them, this is a good book to read.

For those who have managed before and are running into issues, this is a good book to provide refresher tips. In addition
Angel
I got this book via Interlibrary Loan since my own library did not have it. I think I saw the title in some article I read. Anyways, it is a pretty quick read. Actually, for managers, it is a book that lends itself to skipping around. I have always had an interest in the issue of retention in the workplace. In librarianship, I don't think the higher-ups do enough, and it is often the case that to advance one has to move someplace else.

The book is organized in chapters, and each chapter gives a
Heather
This is *the* definitive book on how to be a good manager - not so much about the employees (as the title suggests), but about yourself as a leader. Got it at a management team-building event in 2000, and keep going back to it over and over. Very practical advice.
Lynn
Excellent book with practical applications. Have used many of the "26 Engagement Strategies" as part of a Supervisory/Management/Leadership engagement initiatives.

This is a manual that will convert "soft skills" into conversations focused on retention and engagement to get to most out of your talent and you. The strategies are very specific, with verbiage to use, guidance on how to respond to challenges, surveys, etc. Modify the guidelines to fit your personality and business needs

What is the e
Bill Donhiser
Well written insightful book on handling employee relationships. Especially good for us scientific types that are not so much into the touchy-feely stuff. Highly recommended
Carol
If you are a seasoned leader it's nothing new and life changing but a good way to bring simple truths back to the front of your mind. If you are a new manager you must read this...soak it in... Then execute on the principles of this book. If you don't you'll be stuck in the never ending, unnecessary cycle of employee turnover and will forever be stuck in middle management.
Jeff Matlow
An overview of what I consider the basics of office relationships, management and employee motivation. But it's always good to be reminded of the basics.
Mo
I was reading this to help with a project at work. A friend who Manages a group of peers suggested it and loaned it to me. Since I do not manage anyone but was reading for insight into a project for career management, I found it very helpful.
Heather
Great concept--support the success of your high performers and really reward them--but bland execution. Pretty obvious stuff, really. Praise people, give them freedom, and make sure you're clear about what they are supposed to do. Ok.
RaquiStorm
Very redundant chapters, but continued to read further in hopes it would improve. The last straw was chapter eight, where the authors suggested placing a copy of the book on top of the table at my next job interview. C'mon.
Maria
Jul 11, 2007 Maria marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
A book for managers! I should have finished reading this a long time ago...still need to remember I have it the next time I hire someone. Chapter 8 has some very good advice!
Suzanne
loved, loved, loved this book! it's written in simple, fun to read copy and offers great suggestions on how to motivate and engage your employees. very useful.
Jen
I thought this was a great book for managers who are trying to retain their team members. Don't read the other editions! The 4th edition is the best!
Anita Griffin
Some good tips for motivating high potentials.
Amber G
Amber G is currently reading it
Dec 11, 2014
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Bethany Whitemyer
Bethany Whitemyer is currently reading it
Nov 15, 2014
Bobcat
Bobcat marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
C
C is currently reading it
Oct 31, 2014
Sue Parks
Sue Parks marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Jasmine
Jasmine marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
  • Measuring and Managing Performance in Organizations
  • The Carrot Principle: How the Best Managers Use Recognition to Engage Their People, Retain Talent, and Accelerate Performance
  • 1001 Ways to Reward Employees
  • FYI: For Your Improvement, A Guide for Development and Coaching
  • A Sense of Urgency
  • Open Leadership: How Social Technology Can Transform the Way You Lead
  • The Carolina Way: Leadership Lessons from a Life in Coaching
  • Uncle John's Bathroom Reader Plunges into History
  • Toyota Culture: The Heart and Soul of the Toyota Way
  • Rule #1: The Simple Strategy for Successful Investing in Only 15 Minutes a Week!
  • Data Smart: Using Data Science to Transform Information into Insight
  • Why Work Sucks and How to Fix It: No Schedules, No Meetings, No Joke--the Simple Change That Can Make Your Job Terrific
  • Empowered: Unleash Your Employees, Energize Your Customers, and Transform Your Business
  • Visual Teams: Graphic Tools for Commitment, Innovation, & High Performance
  • Hacking Work: Breaking Stupid Rules for Smart Results
  • Quality Software Management: Systems Thinking
  • Leading Lean Software Development: Results Are Not the Point
  • Servant Leadership: A Journey Into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness
Founder and Chairwoman of Career Systems International, Dr. Beverly Kaye is an international bestselling author and a leading authority in the world of modern workplace performance. She has dedicated her life’s work to helping individuals and organizations grow in a workplace that fosters greater commitment, fulfillment, and humanity.

Beverly Kaye and the CSI team provide cutting-edge and award-win
More about Beverly Kaye...
Help Them Grow or Watch Them Go: Career Conversations Employees Want Love It, Don't Leave It: 26 Ways to Get What You Want at Work Up Is Not The Only Way: A Guide to Developing Workforce Talent Love 'Em or Lose 'Em: Getting Good People to Stay Kalau Belum Dipecat Jangan Keluar dari Pekerjaan Anda!