Start by marking “Love 'em or Lose 'em: Getting Good People to Stay” as Want to Read:
Love 'em or Lose 'em: Getting Good People to Stay

Love 'em or Lose 'em: Getting Good People to Stay

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  223 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
With replacement costs high and start-up time critical, employee retention is more valuable than ever. This best-selling guide provides 26 strategies to keep talented employees happy and productive. Citing research and experience with dozens of organizations, the authors present many examples of how today's companies have applied their retention strategies and increased th ...more
Published April 1st 2005 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published October 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Love 'em or Lose 'em, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love 'em or Lose 'em

Hesham  ellayeh
Jan 14, 2015 Hesham ellayeh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
كتاب من نوعية الكتب التي تفهم المطلوب وتعالجه بدقه مكتوب بحرفية وببساطه 26 فكرة اظن انك ستجد بينهم ما يعجبك ويأسرك بسيط في لغته رائع في اسلوبه تشعر في قراءته كأنك في صحبة كاتب تألفه حتي وان كانت مرتك الأولي في مقابلته والتعرف اليه
كل من سيقرأه سيستفيد
ولنا عودة ان شاء الله مع كتاب رائع جديد
John E. Smith
Yeah … another book about engaging and retaining good employees.

You’d think we would be past needing this information by now, but anyone who works in or with organizations to help them create employee engagement will tell you we are not there yet.

However, Love ‘Em or Lose ‘Em by Beverly Kaye and Sharon Jordan-Evans may just move us over that goal line, IF you read it and use it as the authors have designed it to be used.
Here’s what I liked most about this book:

1) Neatly organized to help us hone
Jane
May 27, 2015 Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Love ‘em or Lose ‘em: Getting Good People to Stay / 26 Engagement Strategies for Busy Managers by Beverly Kaye and Sharon Jordan-Evans

Love ‘em or Lose ‘em. Catchy title, right? But that’s not what caught my attention; it was the allure of the sub-title, Getting Good People to Stay. As a basically satisfied employee who has left a number of jobs over my 30+ career years, I thought it would be interesting to explore reasons for my defections from seemingly fulfilling positions. That was my intent,
May-Ling
Jan 24, 2011 May-Ling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: working-smart
this book came up at work as reference reading in a task force i was in called workhappy. that was a few months ago, and i finally got around to reading it.

as a 'serious' reader, i was turned off by some aesthetic points of the book - the cheesy t-shirt sayings at the end of each chapter, the A to Z approach organizationally and purple quoted text. aside from these qualities, the content itself is solid, quick to read and contains valuable advice.

i've been working in an organization for six ye
Jacob
Jan 05, 2016 Jacob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting, engaging, and extremely useful book about what managers should be doing to retain their talented employees. It has 26 techniques for managers to practice, each starting with a different letter of the alphabet, and while that tactic is a little hokey and some of the categories overlap a bit, it actually serves pretty well. The topics are easy to read and there are many stories about the principles in action.

As an engineer I find this topic interesting because I often focus
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
This book is a 3.5 star for me. The chapters are easy to read. It's nice that they keep repeating concepts in different applicable ways. The questions they provide managers to think about and ask are helpful. The examples and anecdotes are also helpful. For those who have never managed people, been in HR or had people indirectly reporting to them, this is a good book to read.

For those who have managed before and are running into issues, this is a good book to provide refresher tips. In addition
Jeff Lampson
This is a great time to recommit to your vocation and I believe that "wherever you go, there you are". These tips empower and deepen one's sense of purpose. I always like Bev Kaye's material. Her suggestions are so practical and straightforward to implement. Don't be fooled though; she has definitely achieved simplicity on the far side of complexity as her tips are the prescription for the existential funk so many experience at this time of year.

A tag line from the jacket back summarizes it nic
Angel
I got this book via Interlibrary Loan since my own library did not have it. I think I saw the title in some article I read. Anyways, it is a pretty quick read. Actually, for managers, it is a book that lends itself to skipping around. I have always had an interest in the issue of retention in the workplace. In librarianship, I don't think the higher-ups do enough, and it is often the case that to advance one has to move someplace else.

The book is organized in chapters, and each chapter gives a
Jeff Lampson
What an important time for people managers to proactively energize, engage and retain their team. Many, many easy to apply ideas that really work!

Bev's writing style is enthusiastic, clever, practical and she brings a good sense of depth and stewardship to helping people be engaged and to perform at their best. This is a great ready reference job aid.
Heather
Jun 24, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, own, business
This is *the* definitive book on how to be a good manager - not so much about the employees (as the title suggests), but about yourself as a leader. Got it at a management team-building event in 2000, and keep going back to it over and over. Very practical advice.
Lynn
Oct 13, 2014 Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book with practical applications. Have used many of the "26 Engagement Strategies" as part of a Supervisory/Management/Leadership engagement initiatives.

This is a manual that will convert "soft skills" into conversations focused on retention and engagement to get to most out of your talent and you. The strategies are very specific, with verbiage to use, guidance on how to respond to challenges, surveys, etc. Modify the guidelines to fit your personality and business needs

What is the e
Bill Donhiser
Well written insightful book on handling employee relationships. Especially good for us scientific types that are not so much into the touchy-feely stuff. Highly recommended
Estevo Raposo
Sep 10, 2013 Estevo Raposo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este es un libro muy práctico, y me da la impresión de que te puede sacar de algún apuro sin necesidad de leerlo por completo. Las propias autoras recomiendan leer los dos primeros capítulos y luego ojear el índice para seleccionar lo más aplicable a nuestro caso concreto. Sin hacer caso a esta recomendación, hice una lectura lineal del libro, como suele ser habitual: de la primera página a la última y me encontré con un montón de ideas (algunas obvias, otras originales, todas interesantes) para ...more
Stephanie Schmid
fabulous book! Easy to read. Great format! Fabulous ideas for motivating team members!
Chad Young
useful and interesting but not particularly unexpected or anything. some good tips, tricks and reminders though.
Anupam Kumar
Mar 08, 2015 Anupam Kumar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very nice and informative book. It talks about reality on engaging and retaining talent.
Carol
Sep 21, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business-books
If you are a seasoned leader it's nothing new and life changing but a good way to bring simple truths back to the front of your mind. If you are a new manager you must read this...soak it in... Then execute on the principles of this book. If you don't you'll be stuck in the never ending, unnecessary cycle of employee turnover and will forever be stuck in middle management.
Jeff Matlow
Feb 23, 2014 Jeff Matlow rated it really liked it
An overview of what I consider the basics of office relationships, management and employee motivation. But it's always good to be reminded of the basics.
Mo
Oct 11, 2011 Mo rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I was reading this to help with a project at work. A friend who Manages a group of peers suggested it and loaned it to me. Since I do not manage anyone but was reading for insight into a project for career management, I found it very helpful.
Heather
Great concept--support the success of your high performers and really reward them--but bland execution. Pretty obvious stuff, really. Praise people, give them freedom, and make sure you're clear about what they are supposed to do. Ok.
RaquiStorm
Feb 11, 2013 RaquiStorm rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very redundant chapters, but continued to read further in hopes it would improve. The last straw was chapter eight, where the authors suggested placing a copy of the book on top of the table at my next job interview. C'mon.
Maria
Jul 11, 2007 Maria marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
A book for managers! I should have finished reading this a long time ago...still need to remember I have it the next time I hire someone. Chapter 8 has some very good advice!
Suzanne
Jun 17, 2014 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
loved, loved, loved this book! it's written in simple, fun to read copy and offers great suggestions on how to motivate and engage your employees. very useful.
Jen
Aug 19, 2008 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a great book for managers who are trying to retain their team members. Don't read the other editions! The 4th edition is the best!
Lori Grant
Mar 29, 2013 Lori Grant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A should-read book on career development.
Anita Griffin
Apr 12, 2009 Anita Griffin rated it liked it
Shelves: business, all-books
Some good tips for motivating high potentials.
Brett Howell
Brett Howell marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Tarell
Tarell marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
  • 1001 Ways to Reward Employees
  • Measuring and Managing Performance in Organizations
  • Never Again: Securing America and Restoring Justice
  • Who: The A Method for Hiring
  • Managers as Mentors: Building Partnerships for Learning
  • The Carrot Principle: How the Best Managers Use Recognition to Engage Their People, Retain Talent, and Accelerate Performance
  • Countrymen: The Untold Story of How Denmark's Jews Escaped the Nazis
  • The Carolina Way: Leadership Lessons from a Life in Coaching
  • Buy-In: Saving Your Good Idea from Getting Shot Down
  • Uncle John's Bathroom Reader Plunges into History
  • Strategy and the Fat Smoker: Doing What's Obvious But Not Easy
  • Empowerment Takes More Than a Minute
  • Servant Leadership: A Journey Into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness
  • Visual Meetings: How Graphics, Sticky Notes & Idea Mapping Can Transform Group Productivity
  • Everybody Matters: The Extraordinary Power of Caring for Your People Like Family
  • The Idea-Driven Organization: Unlocking the Power in Bottom-Up Ideas
  • Managing The Design Factory:  A Product Developer's Toolkit
  • Coaching For Performance: Growing People, Performance and Purpose
Founder and Chairwoman of Career Systems International, Dr. Beverly Kaye is an international bestselling author and a leading authority in the world of modern workplace performance. She has dedicated her life’s work to helping individuals and organizations grow in a workplace that fosters greater commitment, fulfillment, and humanity.

Beverly Kaye and the CSI team provide cutting-edge and award-win
More about Beverly Kaye...

“To Do Start with a conversation—a “stay interview.” Learn about your talented employees’ goals and what they love (or don’t love) about their work. Don’t stop with one chat. Talk (and listen!) daily, weekly, monthly. Develop a true relationship with every single person you hope to keep on your team. Hold “Alas Clinics”—opportunities to talk with others about talented people who have left your team lately. Why did they go? What role (if any) did you play in their leaving? How can you prevent more unwanted turnover? Think about who might be “loose in the saddle” (about ready to leave you); talk with them soon, and collaborate with them to get more of what they want and need from you, from the team, from their jobs. Go big picture. Ask yourself, “What kind of work environment do I want to create?” Then figure out what you need to do in order to make that vision come alive. Then—go do it!” 0 likes
“The one behavior that talented people seldom tolerate for long is disrespect.” 0 likes