Start by marking “New Mutants Classic, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
New Mutants Classic, Vol. 1

New Mutants Classic, Vol. 1 (New Mutants Classic #1)

Cannonball. Sunspot. Moonstar. Karma. Rahne. Teenagers, thrown together by the one thing they had in common -- the X-Factor in their genes that made them different, made them mutants. Relive the adventures of the team that will come to be known as X-Force... if they survive. Collects Marvel Graphic Novel #4, New Mutants #1-7 and Uncanny X-Men #167.
Published May 3rd 2006 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about New Mutants Classic, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Mutants Classic, Vol. 1

Dec 07, 2010 Stephen rated it it was ok
1.5 to 2.0 stars. While an okay book series in its own right, I think this can be best described as the "the mutant titles are so popular that we have to figure out a way to milk this cow dry with another series about mutants" series. The characters are B (or C list), the story-line is ho hum and the art is average. Overall, okay (but just barely).
Jan 27, 2016 Stephen rated it it was amazing
This volume was so fantastic!

New Mutants Classic Volume 1 includes the introduction of the New Mutants characters that influence the X-Men series for many years. This book also has the epic finale to the Brood Saga (in New Mutants 1-3 and Uncanny X-Men 167). The overlap with the Uncanny X-Men made it easier to see where they fit in the greater Marvel comics universe.

Claremont is a genius when it comes to writing characters who are just learning their powers and getting hold of their self confid
Andrew
Feb 10, 2009 Andrew rated it liked it
Shelves: yes-i-m-a-geek
Back in the day I had absolutely no interest in the New Mutants. Didn't really know any of them, and at the time I grew aware of comics they were already X-Force, and I was kinda confused as to how all the other X-Titles worked. Heck, I was confused by there being two X-Men titles. Well many years later when I went through the Essentials for the Uncanny series I found myself really enjoying whenever the New Mutants would show up. And even later I read Peter David's run of X-Factor and I really e ...more
Christopher
Sep 21, 2016 Christopher rated it it was amazing
This is one of the top 10 "mutant" stories that Marvel has published, and it one of Chris Claremont's greatest achievements...
Rick
When sales on the Uncanny X-Men title proved so strong and showed no sign of waning, Marvel decided to start a second X-Men themed title, the New Mutants. The original title that Kirby and Lee wanted for the X-Men was The Mitants, so this title was a nod to those early days of the X-Men, when they were just Uncanny and not All-New, All-Different. With this title Claremont's goal was to focus more on the characters and how they learn to control their powers and abilities and less on a super-villa ...more
Gemna
Oct 23, 2016 Gemna rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Usually, I love the origin stories, but with New Mutants I found myself bored at the beginning with the team coming together, but the story got better as it went on. I would love to read more of Karma’s origin and how she fought her brother that shared her powers. That sounded fascinating.

The art also seemed to get better as it went on, or maybe I got more used to the style. I loved all the scenes showing Wolfsbane transforming or in half-wolf/half-human form. I didn’t particularly enjoy the ar
Ashley
Feb 05, 2013 Ashley rated it liked it
This was a good book overall, maybe 3.5 stars.

The art is what lowered this book at least a star. The characters did look unique and not just the "same head different hair" thing that some artists do. But the comic just seemed a little messy, and the faces changes a ton depending on the angle (at one point Professor X switched from looking old to looking like a disproportionate baby). I also hated Rahne's hair. Oh man, that bothered me. But maybe I'm just being particular :P

The story lines were a
The_Mad_Swede
Sep 10, 2008 The_Mad_Swede rated it really liked it
This is the first Classic collection of Marvel's second mutant team, the New Mutants, and it collects The New Mutants (Marvel Graphic Novel # 4) from 1982 and # 1–7 of the first volume of the ongoing title from 1983 as well as Uncanny X-Men # 167.

While still residing at Xavier's School for the Gifted, it was long since clear that the X-Men were no longer the young students Lee and Kirby had introduced. During the famous (and highly recommended) Claremont/Byrne run on X-Men, an attempt to put the
James
Sep 14, 2014 James rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
This is a weird one. Recognizing that the X-men have grown out of their trainee roles, Chris Claremont (or his editors) recruit a new, diverse group of young mutants in the style of Giant-Sized X-Men.

As far as powers and personalities go, they get a pretty intriguing bunch. You have your hick, your rich urbanite, two young women with tormented backstories and a Native American girl who can talk to animals (because...1980s). Visually, I've always liked the literal interpretation of Cannonball's
Alex
Mar 02, 2013 Alex rated it liked it
The New Mutants. Not as good as the Old Mutants.

I think we need to consider that I've read seven issues and an annual of this comic and I still can't remember any of their names. Sunstroke? He can turn into a black blobby thing, I don't know what that is. The wee Scottish lassie turns into a wolf. What's her name RAWR RAR,RAHN, KHAN? There's an Indian girl who is quite cool because she reads peoples minds for their worst fears then projects them, Karma can take control of other people's minds an
Christopher Rush
Sep 23, 2011 Christopher Rush rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Considering how difficult to track down a copy of Marvel Graphic Novel #4 (or any of them), this collection is a very welcome addition to the long-neglected back-issue trade paperback collection. I'm quite glad Marvel has gotten its act together (at least in the TPB department - their writing staves on the other hand...) and made a big push the last couple of years to reprint and recollect so many of the old crossovers and series from the pre-crash days. It would have been nice to have Karma's e ...more
Gavin
Oct 29, 2012 Gavin rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I re-read this because I didn't remember if I had or not...so that's not a good sign.
Reading it again, yes I had, and there were parts I liked, and parts I yawned at.
Good stuff: Seeing brand new characters, such as Cannonball (yay!) Dani Moonstar (good potential) Wolfsbane (meh), Sunspot (ugh annoying) and Karma (interesting powers, set for better things, but somewhat boring).

Guest appearances: X-Men, FF, Moira McTaggart, Lilandra, Gladiator, The Starjammers, Silver Samurai, Donald Pierce, Sebas
Chibineko
Oct 28, 2010 Chibineko rated it it was amazing
I wish I'd been into comic superheroes earlier in life than my mid-teens. It would have been more fun to read the later issues as they came out, since half of the fun is keeping up with the issue to issue life of the characters.

This volume collects the first appearances of the New Mutants, as well as the first seven issues of the comic. We get to see a bit of the background of each character as well as the appearance of the Hellfire club.

While I prefer some of the later issues when the character
Nov 13, 2013 Stephen rated it it was amazing
I loved this when I was younger. I loved the clean-lined look of the Mcleod art and also the later take-no-prisoners extreme Seinkevitch (sp.) art.

The group worked, the characters had just enough baggage that to make them interesting, but it was not a soap opera. It was definitely as good as the 80s version of Teen Titans with Perez. I think classic New Mutants still holds up to edgier modern titles like The Runaways and Young Avengers. In fact, while those titles occasionally have superior art
Andrew Farley
Oct 20, 2016 Andrew Farley rated it it was ok
A slow and predictable start for this X-men offshoot.

Each of the marvel comics seems to have a pattern. Spider-man's is "Aunt May is in DANGER, and I must save her." X-men is often, "Our team is falling apart, but we will have to solve our differences and work together to save the day." New Mutants has the pattern of, "Prof. X doesn't want us to fight, but while he is incapacitated or otherwise distracted we will be forced to fight and save the day."

At this point, little attention has been give
Kerri
May 19, 2015 Kerri rated it liked it
Shelves: x-men
#1: 2 stars
#2-3: 3 stars
#4-7: 2 stars
Graphic Novel #4: 4 stars. THIS is what the comics should have been like.
Addition of the graphic novel brings the collection from 2 to 3 stars.

The New Mutants are a group of kids, and their problems are kid-sized. They are best when their problems cross over with the X-Men's: the Brood, Sentinels, and to a small extent the Silver Samurai. But in his case, he just also happened to be a foe of Wolverine's - they weren't dealing with the same problem.
Nadia
Sep 08, 2014 Nadia rated it really liked it
Shelves: mutants
It was hard for me to get into this on the first try-I was turned off by the cliches but on a reread there are a lot more redemptive qualities than I first remembered. It also helps that I've read the later comics and I know it gets better and the characters become more well rounded and some are now my favs of all time.

This also gets the stars it does because I'm realizing that I really like stories about people who have super powers but are really bad at using them.
Lara
May 19, 2008 Lara rated it liked it
I was a big X-Men fan as a teenager and particularly loved the New Mutants. They were introduced in 1983 and were a band of teenage mutant super heroes. I probably liked them because they were about my age at the time. I have almost a complete set of the comic books but it is much easier to read them in a graphic novel. I enjoyed getting reacquainted with Cannonball and Psyche, although I much prefer the art of the later illustrator (Bill Sienkewicz).
Scott Robins
Sep 08, 2009 Scott Robins rated it liked it
Total nostalgia read. I remember picking up the single issues of the New Mutants from the corner store. Some decent stories here - the few issues with Team America are pretty hokey but Claremont sets up some interesting plot points that I'm looking forward to reading in the next few volumes including the Demon Bear stories.
Travis
Nov 05, 2011 Travis rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Playing with the idea that Xavier's is a school, this series introduced a class of young mutants and gave them smaller stories, where super hero action is mixed with teen angst and the struggle of learning how to handle having super powers.

Nicely done stuff that holds up well due to an interesting, well thought out cast, cool powers and some solid adventure stories.
Shannon Appelcline
Oct 05, 2012 Shannon Appelcline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
A strong introduction to a number of evocative, well-characterized characters. Some elements like Team America and Mr. T wannabe Axe look a little silly today, but overall the book is still good, and the first two-thirds of it very good.
Christopher
Oct 13, 2012 Christopher rated it liked it
I think that I've read most of these stories when they were originally published. The stories still hold up fairly well after nearly 30 years. I haven't read the latest version of the team, but I'm looking forward to Jonathan Hickman's take on Cannonball and Sunspot in the Avengers.
Carles Muñoz Miralles
Sep 10, 2012 Carles Muñoz Miralles rated it it was amazing
La formación del grupo, la pelea contra el Nido, Stevie Hunter ejerciendo de maestra, la "muerte" de Karma... Antes de que La Patrulla-X se sobreexplotase, Los Nuevos Mutantes demostraron que las series mutantes de Marvel podían ser muy, muy realistas.
Becky
Aug 20, 2014 Becky rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Xavier is SUCH a bad man! He's got two students here with psychic powers, and his idea of training them is "this is how to mind rape people! Remember kids, mind rape responsibly. And by that, I mean whenever I tell you to." UUUUUUUG.

That aside, I love Claremont. His characters are so great.
Steven
Dec 07, 2013 Steven rated it it was ok
Thinking back, the New Mutants were a really underwhelming group of teenage mutants, not in same class as the X-Men.
Phillip Goodman
boy oh boy did they use to talk to much in the oldies haha, despite that, its still good, just remember its all about the story.
Paul Labbe
Paul Labbe rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2013
Twinkle
Twinkle rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Florian
Florian rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2014
Rhys
Rhys rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
  • X-Men: X-Cutioner's Song
  • Essential Classic X-Men, Vol. 2
  • Squadron Supreme
  • Decimation: Son of M
Chris Claremont is a writer of American comic books, best known for his 16-year (1975-1991) stint on Uncanny X-Men, during which the series became one of the comic book industry's most successful properties.

Claremont has written many stories for other publishers including the Star Trek Debt of Honor graphic novel, his creator-owned Sovereign Seven for DC Comics and Aliens vs Predator for Dark Hors
More about Chris Claremont...

New Mutants Classic (7 books)
  • New Mutants Classic, Vol. 2